2017-2018 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps. I mean I did have other obligations as well. Regardless, I'd respect anyone's beliefs in superstitions. It's a good trait to have as a future medical student and doctor.

...what? Why would I respect anyone's beliefs in superstition? I don't want to come across as rude. But it's pretty ridiculous to not schedule an interview on 9/11. Do you think they are just going to be pissed off that day and not evaluate you properly because of an event 2 decades ago?

Reactions: 4 users
Remember if you look back far enough in history there's many tragic events for every day of the year. All we can do is remember those events, the people effected, and move forward to promote peace and justice and live our lives.

Reactions: 8 users
complete 8/13...radio silence. FML

7/13 and radio silence. Got that II at Scottsdale campus though so I'm hopeful!
Man, 7/13, do you have some interesting EC's? I'm just curious because I'm non-trad and my EC's are why really make my app stand out.

Man, 7/13, do you have some interesting EC's? I'm just curious because I'm non-trad and my EC's are why really make my app stand out.
I was in professional sports and have a lot of research/service experience, so I'd say so... Mayo comes down to "fit" and quite honestly when I applied I thought my application fee was going to be a donation to the school haha.

Reactions: 1 users
I was in professional sports and have a lot of research/service experience, so I'd say so... Mayo comes down to "fit" and quite honestly when I applied I thought my application fee was going to be a donation to the school haha.
Kinda the same boat here. My academics are good but not off the charts. I've got only limited experience with the traditional EC's that pre-meds have, but my service time is rather unique. I'm pretty much counting on fit as well since Mayo has more vets and persons over 30 in their student body than just about any other medical school. If you don't mind my asking, where else did you apply?

Kinda the same boat here. My academics are good but not off the charts. I've got only limited experience with the traditional EC's that pre-meds have, but my service time is rather unique. I'm pretty much counting on fit as well since Mayo has more vets and persons over 30 in their student body than just about any other medical school. If you don't mind my asking, where else did you apply?

Where did you see this? I thought Mayo's student body was more traditional?

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you see this? I thought Mayo's student body was more traditional?

MSAR shows 5 out of 50 students are over 30 - that's 10% of the class, which is pretty significant.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Mayo is 6% military with 27 ppl under the age of 24, and 24 people over the age of 24 (5 of those being over the age of 30).. Given the small entering class this can be seen as significant but since they only take about 50 MD's the 6% means about 2 - 3 vets... Let's compare to Georgetown which has 4% Military but 200 acceptances which is 8 people. It's all relative

Last edited:

Same here, 3.93GPA and 509 MCAT, Vet, lots of research and Anatomy TA experience and other EC's applied to 10 schools was done with all around 8/2-8/6 and have only heard back from one school so far but it was an II.

All over the place! Texas, Stanford, and about 10 schools in the northeast

Mayo is 6% military with 27 ppl under the age of 24, and 24 people over the age of 24 (5 of those being over the age of 30).. Given the small entering class this can be seen as significant but since they only take about 50 MD's the 6% means about 2 - 3 vets... Let's compare to Georgetown which has 4% Military but 200 acceptances which is 8 people. It's all relative
AKA, they're not targeting specific groups but are rather interested in finding the perfect people to fill their institution's mission.

Reactions: 2 users

You are correct, but as a percentage of student body, veterans make up about 3 times the average of other schools with the only significant deviation from this (that I know of) being
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USUHS has a vet pop of 30% and a greater than 30 of 15%). I have found that most schools have a student body of only 2% veterans and 7-8% over the age of 30. Yes, these other schools have a larger student body and make for a greater likelihood of acceptance overall. However, pound for pound, if my school of choice is Mayo (and it is), then based on the fact that only about 5% of all MCAT test takers are age 31 or above, my likelihood of getting into Mayo is increased by being older and having non-traditional experiences.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321468/data/factstablea6.pdf

AKA, they're not targeting specific groups but are rather interested in finding the perfect people to fill their institution's mission.
Right, they are not looking for people with specific experiences, but it is apparent that they are looking for a different set of experiences than most other schools. I guess that is what I'm trying to say. Not that they favor military or non-trad, but that they favor the life experience and perspectives that often come with those types of backgrounds.

You are correct, but as a percentage of student body, veterans make up about 3 times the average of other schools with the only significant deviation from this (that I know of) being
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USUHS has a vet pop of 30% and a greater than 30 of 15%). I have found that most schools have a student body of only 2% veterans and 7-8% over the age of 30. Yes, these other schools have a larger student body and make for a greater likelihood of acceptance overall. However, pound for pound, if my school of choice is Mayo (and it is), then based on the fact that only about 5% of all MCAT test takers are age 31 or above, my likelihood of getting into Mayo is increased by being older and having non-traditional experiences.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321468/data/factstablea6.pdf
When you have 40 students, having 2 vets makes your program "the most of any program". I don't really buy your argument

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Right, they are not looking for people with specific experiences, but it is apparent that they are looking for a different set of experiences than most other schools. I guess that is what I'm trying to say. Not that they favor military or non-trad, but that they favor the life experience and perspectives that often come with those types of backgrounds.
Yeah sorry I was agreeing with you! My previous post may have sounded like I was correcting you but that was unintentional :)

For those with vet status, please please please check out Texas A&M. They are actively trying to add more veteran presence and currently enroll 3 Tillman scholars.

For those with vet status, please please please check out Texas A&M. They are actively trying to add more veteran presence and currently enroll 3 Tillman scholars.

What are Tillman Scholars?

Too bad I already graduated undergrad. I'll apply for medschool though. Thanks for the advice.

Your undergrad should still offer pre-medical advising for graduates.. This includes scholarship information.. I can't say this for certain on all colleges but most offer advising post graduation if you call or email their advising center!

Does anyone know if Mayo does student hosting? Also, how do you feel about staying at the Grand Kaehler hotel with the discount from Mayo?

Remember if you look back far enough in history there's many tragic events for every day of the year. All we can do is remember those events, the people effected, and move forward to promote peace and justice and live our lives.
And to remember the difference between effect and affect #grammarpolice . Just kidding :)

I got an email about student housing saying I should reply with in 3 days if I am interested in a host, but the email address provided does not work for me. I keep getting an "address not found" notification.
Anyone else having this problem?

I got an email about student housing saying I should reply with in 3 days if I am interested in a host, but the email address provided does not work for me. I keep getting an "address not found" notification.
Anyone else having this problem?
Yeah, I'm having the exact same problem. Hopefully they'll realize whatever issue they're having and get back to us about it?

I turned in my secondary a while back but my committee letter didn't come in until August 12th so I wasn't complete until the 15th (i checked on the portal). I didn't receive an email from Mayo letting me know that my app was complete. I still haven't heard anything back from them yet but I'm slightly paranoid that they don't have my email and that if they send me something, I would not get it. Did anyone else get an Email confirming the completion of their app?

I turned in my secondary a while back but my committee letter didn't come in until August 12th so I wasn't complete until the 15th (i checked on the portal). I didn't receive an email from Mayo letting me know that my app was complete. I still haven't heard anything back from them yet but I'm slightly paranoid that they don't have my email and that if they send me something, I would not get it. Did anyone else get an Email confirming the completion of their app?

I don't think anyone here has mentioned getting an email. I just confirmed through the portal.

Reactions: 3 users

I never got an email for completion but when I went on the communication history on the portal it was indicated that they had sent me a completion email. Maybe I should also notify them about it.

I never got an email for completion but when I went on the communication history on the portal it was indicated that they had sent me a completion email. Maybe I should also notify them about it.
Okay cool! Btw please throw three touchdowns week 1 for my fantasy team.

I dont know what you would accomplish by emailing them, though. If the communication status is on the portal, then you (and they) have record of the communication; since you received a secondary in the first place, they have your email for sure (since you receive secondaries through emails).

I dont know what you would accomplish by emailing them, though. If the communication status is on the portal, then you (and they) have record of the communication; since you received a secondary in the first place, they have your email for sure (since you receive secondaries through emails).

They stated that they would send me an email after I submitted my secondary when my app would be complete. I just was thinking of emailing them just to get some solace knowing that they have my email or if there was a problem with them. It so I could get some peace of mind and not start worrying over nothing

I've been assuming that emails from Mayo aren't getting through since the completion email that was apparently sent did not - I check the portal's communication history frequently now just in case. The possibility of getting an II and not receiving the email in both my inbox and also the portal's communication history is low but I'm concerned since it is also a possibility.

I will email them, wouldn't hurt, and see what they say!

They stated that they would send me an email after I submitted my secondary when my app would be complete. I just was thinking of emailing them just to get some solace knowing that they have my email or if there was a problem with them. It so I could get some peace of mind and not start worrying over nothing

I've been assuming that emails from Mayo aren't getting through since the completion email that was apparently sent did not - I check the portal's communication history frequently now just in case. The possibility of getting an II and not receiving the email in both my inbox and also the portal's communication history is low but I'm concerned since it is also a possibility.

Godspeed:)

Let us know!

Looking through this thread, everyone here seems to be a genuinely nice and caring person. One of my reasons for applying is how nice the students are. I really hope we all get in because I would love to be part of such a wonderful class with you guys! :)

Reactions: 7 users
Looking through this thread, everyone here seems to be a genuinely nice and caring person. One of my reasons for applying is how nice the students are. I really hope we all get in because I would love to be part of such a wonderful class with you guys! :)

If we all get in can @aaronrodgers give me front row seats as his contribution to the diversity of the medical school class?

I love how the response was so quick and courteous :) overall, there is nothing much to worry about!

"Thank you for your note. The last correspondence sent to you was the application completion email. I have verified your email address and I apologize if you did not receive the actual email"

I love how the response was so quick and courteous :) overall, there is nothing much to worry about!

"Thank you for your note. The last correspondence sent to you was the application completion email. I have verified your email address and I apologize if you did not receive the actual email"

Aaron Rodgers 4 MVP!

I received a complete email the same time as my submitted email. I never received a complete email for the AZ campus though, even though it's complete on the portal :shrug:

Same here, 3.93GPA and 509 MCAT, Vet, lots of research and Anatomy TA experience and other EC's applied to 10 schools was done with all around 8/2-8/6 and have only heard back from one school so far but it was an II.
I imagine you'll get in to several schools. The 509 probably just puts you in the middle-late review pile for schools that stratify by score.