2017-2018 Loyola University - Chicago (Stritch)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I heard that the early interviews went to people with guaranteed interviews from their grad school programs, so that might be why

Definitely not true. Possibly a few, but vast majority of GI's are not until November.

source: Dean

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes as long as you have everything else up to par. It is also starting to get late in the cycle you should hurry if you are gonna apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you have a stellar story, are an URM, and every other aspect of your application is gold, I would probably not.
if you have the money, sure? i agree with @kubyx....you're definitely an underdog stats-wise but it's not impossible. You will likely have to wow the Adcoms in every other admissions category though to receive an II. Do you have substantial research, multiple publications, crazy amount of clinical exposure, and/or otherwise stellar ECs? I'd imagine fitting the mission of Loyola will also be really important for you. Just realize, however, Loyola doesn't pre-screen secondaries so you may be dishing out $100+ on your application without a realistic chance.

Reactions: 1 user
Worth sending an app with a 500 and 3.55?

Be cautious, Loyola only lets you apply twice. You can submit a third time, but only if you've made substantial improvements to your application.

Applying to Stritch: Loyola University Chicago Health Sciences Division

"Although first-time applicants who are unsuccessful in gaining admission may reapply, third applications are not encouraged and will be considered only if significant improvement is evident."

For what it is worth, if it were me I would hold off this cycle. A 500 is a tough mountain to climb. Retaking and applying next cycle might be your best option. Save all the money you were going to spend on secondaries this year and put it toward an MCAT tutor!!

Hi all! M1 here. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

Stritch is amazing. Its been less than 2 months and I feel at home here. Good luck with the app cycle!

Reactions: 2 users
has anyone else been stuck with the currently under review status for over a month?!

Reactions: 8 users
has anyone else been stuck with the currently under review status for over a month?!

+1 1.5 Month. This process is teaching me the meaning of the word PATIENCE:bang:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Been complete since July 17th and no news...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supplemental App received on 7/9... still no word

GUYS CHECK YOUR PORTALS. I have an interview invite? But never got an email? Idk. Same thing happened with UIC, but YAYYYY!! It gives me three dates to choose from in the next couple of weeks.

LM 70, IS, non-trad, complete 7/10

Reactions: 5 users
GUYS CHECK YOUR PORTALS. I have an interview invite? But never got an email? Idk. Same thing happened with UIC, but YAYYYY!! It gives me three dates to choose from in the next couple of weeks.

Nothing for me.

Congrats!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Nothing for me.

Congrats!!!!

Thank you! I'm honestly a little weirded out about all of these sneaky IIs, and it's doing nothing to inhibit my neuroticism about checking the portal obsessively lol.

Thank you! I'm honestly a little weirded out about all of these sneaky IIs, and it's doing nothing to inhibit my neuroticism about checking the portal obsessively lol.

Hahahaha this made me laugh. I think we all do that though!
Two sneaky ones in a row tho.. I feel for you haha! Did UIC ever end up emailing you about it??

Hahahaha this made me laugh. I think we all do that though!
Two sneaky ones in a row tho.. I feel for you haha! Did UIC ever end up emailing you about it??

Lol, no. They insisted that the email sent, but it never showed up in my spam filter or anything. After I called to schedule my interview, they sent me a confirmation email a day later. :shrug:

When the secondary mentions non-academic challenges, could I write about a specific moment I experienced while on Student Senate at my school, since it isn't directly related to any of my classes and is only connected to the school due to it being the college's Student Senate?

When the secondary mentions non-academic challenges, could I write about a specific moment I experienced while on Student Senate at my school, since it isn't directly related to any of my classes and is only connected to the school due to it being the college's Student Senate?
Sounds perfectly fine to me.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Great, now you are going to make me check the portal 400 times a day, thanks alot. Congrats though!!:thumbup::thumbup:

Reactions: 7 users
I've been "under review" for 2 months now!

Reactions: 6 users
Sounds perfectly fine to me.
Just to clarify, the experience was based on a group on campus trying to become an official club. Would this still be considered non-academic?

Last edited:
Great, now you are going to make me check the portal 400 times a day, thanks alot. Congrats though!!:thumbup::thumbup:

Haha sorrrrry. I'm trying to keep myself to just once a day in the evenings. It's addicting. But thank you!

Just to clarify, the experience was based on a group on campus trying to become an official club. Would this still be considered non-academic?
I think they just don't want to hear a story about where you had a difficult time in class and had to learn how to study more effectively or something. I personally wrote about leadership in an extracurricular activity as well.

I think they just don't want to hear a story about where you had a difficult time in class and had to learn how to study more effectively or something. I personally wrote about leadership in an extracurricular activity as well.

Sounds good, thanks!

I applied here. It's my first choice, second time applying. I graduated in May with a 3.97 gpa, mcat last year 502, this year 509. Working full time as a research scientist. Honors college, went to a jesuit undergrad. Multiple extra curricular activities, volunteering etc. What do you think my chances are?

I applied here. It's my first choice, second time applying. I graduated in May with a 3.97 gpa, mcat last year 502, this year 509. Working full time as a research scientist. Honors college, went to a jesuit undergrad. Multiple extra curricular activities, volunteering etc. What do you think my chances are?

When did you submit your secondary? I think you have a very solid chance here.

Hi everyone! I'm new to this and still figuring it out, but I'm wondering how I should be feeling at this point. I completed on 7/18, 507 MCAT, 3.6 GPA, first-gen, Vietnamese (according to AAMC 2016 thats URM but a lot of students on here disagree from what I read? Idk, just thought I'd throw that in there!), research, extracurriculars - outside of my grades I feel strong with my activities. Haven't received an interview yet, and was wondering if I should move on and assume a rejection? Noticing that those who completed after me are interviewing now.

Hi everyone!

I'm struggling with prompt 1 of the secondary regarding Jesuit ideal of service.

How did you all write about what service means to you for 500 words?

Hi everyone! I'm new to this and still figuring it out, but I'm wondering how I should be feeling at this point. I completed on 7/18, 507 MCAT, 3.6 GPA, first-gen, Vietnamese (according to AAMC 2016 thats URM but a lot of students on here disagree from what I read? Idk, just thought I'd throw that in there!), research, extracurriculars - outside of my grades I feel strong with my activities. Haven't received an interview yet, and was wondering if I should move on and assume a rejection? Noticing that those who completed after me are interviewing now.

Don't let people on here fuel your neuroticism. It's still very very early in the process, don't assume a rejection until the cycle is over.

Reactions: 2 users
II 9/11!! :eek: First One! Complete 7/27!
congrats!!

I've heard that IIs aren't necessarily given on a first-come, first-serve basis. Some people get theirs quicker or slower than others, and I know Stritch really does look at applications holistically. A good rule of thumb is to wait until November before you start worrying :)

but i'm on the same boat as you though (complete 8/4), so I'd love to hear input from others as well!

Complete 07/13. II this afternoon. OOS. The only available dates are Sept 19 & Sept 26... which is really bad for my schedule but I am so thankful to get the chance to interview here!

Reactions: 3 users
Nah, don't sell yourself short. Who knows what these schools look for. I'm sure you stand a solid chance!

Last edited:
Complete 07/13. II this afternoon. OOS. The only available dates are Sept 19 & Sept 26... which is really bad for my schedule but I am so thankful to get the chance to interview here!
Congrats!
Wow that seems like very short notice-- less than a week to two weeks. But definitely an amazing opportunity!

Congrats!
Wow that seems like very short notice-- less than a week to two weeks. But definitely an amazing opportunity!
Yes I know! Especially for people who are OOS and need to book a flight ticket and make travel arrangements! I'm very excited though! Never been to Chicago before.