2017-2018 Louisiana State University - Shreveport

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those applying ED, has anyone received an email regarding their scheduled interviews?? I am sure they are working through them now, but I heard of anyone who has gotten an email or call yet.

I haven't nor have any other applicants that I know of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For those applying ED, has anyone received an email regarding their scheduled interviews?? I am sure they are working through them now, but I have not heard of anyone who has gotten an email or call yet.

I haven't nor has anyone I know applying ED. Hopefully we hear something soon!

Looks like LSUNO just sent out ED II's. Hopefully we hear something soon from LSUS...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just called. New secretary seems incredibly, incredibly nice. Said ED interviews will be the first few weeks in September (I guess you can make those people wait since it's not like they're scheduling interviews elsewhere? seems like it's getting down to the wire IMO but surely they know that!) and that regular interviews start October 17, so people should be getting invites in the next few weeks, end of September approx. I did have to call to check on the status of my application though, never got an email saying my file was complete, but honestly, this could be a way that they gauge interest in their program.

Reactions: 3 users
Just called. New secretary seems incredibly, incredibly nice. Said ED interviews will be the first few weeks in September (I guess you can make those people wait since it's not like they're scheduling interviews elsewhere? seems like it's getting down to the wire IMO but surely they know that!) and that regular interviews start October 17, so people should be getting invites in the next few weeks, end of September approx. I did have to call to check on the status of my application though, never got an email saying my file was complete, but honestly, this could be a way that they gauge interest in their program.

So maybe interview invites will be sent out soon. In 2013 (yes I've been looking at past threads lol) interview invites were sent out August 20 and 21 with the interviews being held during the 2nd and 3rd week of September.

So maybe interview invites will be sent out soon. In 2013 (yes I've been looking at past threads lol) interview invites were sent out August 20 and 21 with the interviews being held during the 2nd and 3rd week of September.

Yeah, I only went back to last years thread and the first interviews were sent out on the 15th. I guess it varies every year, but I'm sure they'll get them out before the end of the month.

Yeah, I only went back to last years thread and the first interviews were sent out on the 15th. I guess it varies every year, but I'm sure they'll get them out before the end of the month.

That's what I'm assuming also.

I just got word that they have begun sending out II. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
I just got word that they have begun sending out II. Good luck everyone!

I can confirm. I received one this morning. Interview dates are the 5, 6, & 12 of September for ED.

Reactions: 2 users
I received an email about interviewing for ED as well. Good luck to everyone. Hope to see y'all there! :)

I received an email also about interviewing ED as well! Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an email also about interviewing ED as well! Good luck to everyone!

Anyone know of the invites are in alphabetical order ?

Anyone know of the invites are in alphabetical order ?

I don't think so. My last name is at the beginning of the alphabet, but I have a buddy who's last name is towards the end of the alphabet who also got one at the same time.

I don't think so. My last name is at the beginning of the alphabet, but I have a buddy who's last name is towards the end of the alphabet who also got one at the same time.

Yea I concur, I called yesterday to make sure all aspects of my app were received; which they were. From what I was told in a follow up email once the decision is made for you to be released from ED letters are sent. I knew this already of course from FAQs. The point Mrs. Melissa was trying to make is there there MAY be another round of invites sent out. However, I doubt it lol.
None the less good luck to all you guys and gals that will be interviewing!!!!

What are y'all putting on the one-page resume exactly? Just experience, volunteer work, and research type stuff?

I received an II as well... Sept. 5th.

For the 1 page resume, include academic metrics (GPA, MCAT etc.) and schools attended with degree awarded. Also include extracurriculars (internships, volunteering, research, shadowing hours, medical-related jobs etc.)
Include any awards you received, clubs joined, etc.
Picture top right or left.
Also include an objective if you have the room for it. (e.g. "I am currently a student at xxxxxx and plan on attending medical school to pursue a residency in xxxxx" or something of that nature).

The order for mine was:

Objective
Academics
Clinical Experience
Activities/Affiliations (volunteering, research, clubs, etc.)

Make sure you weed out anything that is less important so you can leave room for the more important stuff.

Let me know if anything is unclear!
Good luck to everyone this year!

Last edited:
I received an II as well... Sept. 5th.

For the 1 page resume, include academic metrics (GPA, MCAT etc.) and schools attended with degree awarded. Also include extracurriculars (internships, volunteering, research, shadowing hours, medical-related jobs etc.)
Include any awards you received, clubs joined, etc.
Picture top right or left.
Also include an objective if you have the room for it. (e.g. "I am currently a student at xxxxxx and plan on attending medical school to pursue a residency in xxxxx" or something of that nature).

The order for mine was:

Objective
Academics
Clinical Experience
Activities/Affiliations (volunteering, research, clubs, etc.)

Make sure you weed out anything that is less important so you can leave room for the more important stuff.

Let me know if anything is unclear!
Good luck to everyone this year!

What is the resume for? Is that something we needed for the secondary??

What is the resume for? Is that something we needed for the secondary??
The resumé is for those that have been sent an II. They ask you to send one for your interviewers!

Good Luck to those interviewing today!!!

Do y'all think if it matters if we type or handwrite the secondary?

Is anyone getting the weekly e-mails yet? I submitted my secondary in July, have called and left a voicemail to confirm I was complete, but haven't heard anything back yet.

Is anyone getting the weekly e-mails yet? I submitted my secondary in July, have called and left a voicemail to confirm I was complete, but haven't heard anything back yet.

were you notified that they received your secondary? My carrier said it was delivered last week but I haven't heard from the school

were you notified that they received your secondary? My carrier said it was delivered last week but I haven't heard from the school

No word from the school at all. I thought they were going to start the weekly e-mails in September but nothing there either. My tracking number shows it was successfully delivered, so I know they received it. I just find it odd that all of the other 20 schools I applied to had some way of confirming that my secondary was received and that my application was complete. I have called two others schools, and they returned my phone call within a reasonable amount of time.

I hate to say it, but the complete lack of communication is putting a bad taste in my mouth for Shreveport, and it was one of my top choices. Also, the backhanded comments on the website about applying were funny at first but coupled with the difficult communication may indicate how they operate - and it seems to lack a bit of professionalism. I hope I am wrong.

I mailed my secondary 10 days ago. Do you think it's ok to call and ask if they've received and processed it?

I mailed my secondary 10 days ago. Do you think it's ok to call and ask if they've received and processed it?

For sure. Mrs Parkerson is Dr Kennedys new assistant and she is super nice. If no one answers just leave a message with a callback number. They have always returned my call.

To all who have interviewed, congrats! I was there on the 7th and the interview was truly as stress-free as a med school interview can possibly be. Although it sounds like your interview experience can completely vary based on the person who interviews you.

Everyone keep us posted with anything you may hear! Rooting for us!

I called today and my secondary was received. I'm not too hopeful for an II, but I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Does anyone know if they're still sending weekly emails just like last year?

So it seems people are just calling whenever to check if their application is complete or not. I have been sticking to what their website said and only called on Thursday between 2 and 4 pm. I haven't been on SDN long enough to post links yet but that is listed on the FAQS page for the secondary application. Is that an outdated rule or something? Just got an II to another school, so may not be worrying about Shreveport anymore soon.

So it seems people are just calling whenever to check if their application is complete or not. I have been sticking to what their website said and only called on Thursday between 2 and 4 pm. I haven't been on SDN long enough to post links yet but that is listed on the FAQS page for the secondary application. Is that an outdated rule or something? Just got an II to another school, so may not be worrying about Shreveport anymore soon.

I called them on Tuesday at 2 pm and they were very kind and helpful. I wouldn't stress about the Thursday timing.

Just got the call around 5:30, accepted!!!

Reactions: 6 users
I also got the call this evening! Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
3.9 GPA, average MCAT, re-applicant. I've had a good bit of clinical experience by working as an ER tech for the past 3 years. I met with Dr. Kennedy earlier this year and made sure he knew who I was and find out what I needed to improve on. Let me know if anyone has any specific questions, and good luck to everyone!!

Also got a call! Accepted!!

Has anyone who interviewed already not gotten a phone call?

It seems like everyone I know that interviewed the last two weeks got a phone call and I haven't and I'm stressing a bit over it.

I called them on Tuesday at 2 pm and they were very kind and helpful. I wouldn't stress about the Thursday timing.

Either you were fortunate or are a liar. I called and was told with a good bit of firmness that I need to call on Thursday's when they do that kind of check. I knew I should have stuck to what is on their website and not trust anyone here on SDN. Only myself to blame - warning to all!

Either you were fortunate or are a liar. I called and was told with a good bit of firmness that I need to call on Thursday's when they do that kind of check. I knew I should have stuck to what is on their website and not trust anyone here on SDN. Only myself to blame - warning to all!
Might be a new rule/new enforcement policy. I called day of the eclipse, a Monday, and everyone was very nice. I don't think anyone is trying to sabotage anyone.

Whoa, I'm gonna go with 'fortunate' on this one. Definitely wasn't lying. Chill.

He or she wasn't lying. I did call on a Tuesday too, probably two weeks ago and the person who picked up my call was super nice and ready to answer my question.

That escalated quickly

Whoa, I'm gonna go with 'fortunate' on this one. Definitely wasn't lying. Chill.
That escalated quickly

Yea, that was a comment that had a different tone and delivery in mind than the way it read apparently. I thought the "only myself to blame" and "warning to all!" addition at the end added a bit of comedy to the post, but it obviously did not. My apologies everyone.

Is anyone receiving a verification email by the university that their mailed secondary application was received?

Is anyone receiving a verification email by the university that their mailed secondary application was received?
Call this afternoon during their call window and ask. I had to call to find out, haven't gotten a single email.

Just wanted to drop by and say good luck to everyone. This is my first time applying to medical school and I'm really hoping that this is my year. I took several years off to work and now I feel ready to conquer medical school.
I submitted my primary July 17th and was verified I believe 2 weeks later. I mailed my secondary two days ago after receiving my MCAT scores and received a notification from AMCAS that my last LOR was received. So everything is in admissions hands right now.

Good Luck everyone!!