2017-2018 Long School of Medicine - University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So since this school doesn't do secondary apps, do they mostly only look at stats (GPA and MCAT) before inviting for an interview. If so, does anyone know the minimums? Also, do they send out II weekly on Fridays?

Take this with a grain of salt, but I think they first use your stats to categorize potential invitees and then look at other factors such as your essays, experiences, URM/ORM, etc to determine who gets the interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Take this with a grain of salt, but I think they first use your stats to categorize potential invitees and then look at other factors such as your essays, experiences, URM/ORM, etc to determine who gets the interviews. I only say this because I got an invite last month and noticed other people with better stats and similar complete times getting invites later than I did. It looks like its a wholistic? process

So would they send a reject if they sorted you into a bad pile?

Members don't see this ad :)
How many ppl does San Antonio interview per interview day?
Hey Y'all, I'm a current MS2 at Long School of medicine. There is actually around 50 interviewees per interview day. The morning of your interview we have a "Breakfast of Champions" where you get to interact from students at various levels (MS1-MS4). Please let me know if y'all have any questions about the school or the interview day

Reactions: 1 user
II 5 days ago! Missed it in the junk folder, oops.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If anyone is looking to share a hotel room on 9/21 for the interview this Friday then please inbox me!

Last edited:
II by email just now! LizzyM 69, IS, URM. Complete 7/26 but received the "under review" email about a week and a half later. Dates offered were 10/3, 10/13, 10/20, and 10/27.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II a little while ago! IS, URM, LizzyM 69, complete mid July. Dates offered were 10/20, 10/27, 11/3, and 11/10.

II just now. OOS, LizzyM 74, ORM. Dates offered were 10/27, 11/3, 11/10, and 11/17.

II today! Selected 10/20 bc I didn't want to go on Friday the 13th lol.

II today!!!! Interview dates as of a few minutes ago are only in November/December. Stats: LizzyM of 68.9, complete in early July. Anybody know about their interview style? Pro tips?

Wow, if I had known the interview dates filled up that fast I would've chosen as soon as I saw the email :( Only November and December dates left now.

II today!!!! Interview dates as of a few minutes ago are only in November/December. Stats: LizzyM of 68.9, complete in early July. Anybody know about their interview style? Pro tips?

Everyone I spoke with interviewed with one MD and one student. They asked standard interview questions. Nothing out of the ordinary. Low stress. One guy I spoke with mentioned getting grilled a little on his research experiences. Everyone else I spoke with had an experience similar to mine.

Good luck.

Congrats on your II!

oh my goodness! They filled up so so quick! I was really really hoping for some love from here. Oh well. It's crazy how the cycle at SA is already pretty much over now. They must have sent out a huge batch as they have already filled all of october and dipping into novemeber and Decemeber.:unsure: My guess is maybe just one more batch of II and the cycle is done

Congrats on your II!

oh my goodness! They filled up so so quick! I was really really hoping for some love from here. Oh well. It's crazy how the cycle at SA is already pretty much over now. They must have sent out a huge batch as they have already filled all of october and dipping into novemeber and Decemeber.:unsure: My guess is maybe just one more batch of II and the cycle is done
This was the pattern of interview invites etc. from LAST year's cycle. This med school seems to do things in batches, unlike some others which seem to trickle out the IIs.
Mid October saw a batch of II, and OOS admission offers
Mid November saw a bunch of II, and TX prematch offers
Last interview dates were in December, none into January.
Remainder of acceptance offers came on Match Day Feb 1 with a little Waitlist action as some applicants chose other TX schools or out of state schools.

As they say in the investment world, "past performance is not a guarantee of future earnings". Good luck everyone and don't lose patience or feel down on yourself

Last edited:
This was the pattern of interview invites etc. from LAST year's cycle. This med school seems to do things in batches, unlike some others which seem to trickle out the IIs.
Remainder of acceptance offers came on Match Day Feb 1 with a little Waitlist action as some applicants chose other TX schools or out of state schools.

As they say in the investment world, "past performance is not a guarantee of future earnings". Good luck everyone and don't lose patience or feel down on yourself

Thank you so much for this info. That gives me some hope as there are still two batches left, if this year is like last year.

When do schools start sending out rejection letters?

To those worrying about not getting any or only having one or two IIs, I feel that this info might help you relax.
Last year, a friend applied to all the TMDSAS schools with completion being early July with a LizzyM of about 70. Pretty competitive IMO.
He got one invite late August, one late September, two in October, and one in November.

So don't feel discouraged, take a deep breath, and try keep yourself busy. If you're taking a gap year, find a job, volunteer, enjoy your hobbies, find new hobbies, etc.
I'm also waiting for interview invites to come through, but time goes by faster when you try to stay busy and stay way from checking SDN everyday.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
The interview style here was more relaxed and conversational than at other schools, and most of my classmates felt the same way. They really go out of their way to make interview day low-stress.

Three of my interviews show up the but it's been close to a month and Long is not on there. But it probably doesn't matter till at least January next year.

Edit - It's just do much easier ranking as I interview so I don't have to make decisions when I have forgotten my initial impressions

It's been a few weeks for me and Long isn't there yet. I agree that there's no reason to worry, but I wouldn't wait until January to contact the school. The last thing you want is to miss out on a match opportunity. I plan to contact the school early November.

Just got an email saying they're considering switching to a pass/fail curriculum.

Just got an email saying they're considering switching to a pass/fail curriculum.
Yeah, its good news imo. I bet they'll probably do honors/pass/fail and since they're sending us emails I assume that if they approve it, they could implement it starting next year. Tbh it's weird that they didn't have P/F to begin with since they pride themselves on collaboration and a relaxed environment

Hopefully they figure it out before 2/1 b/c it might impact rankings lol

kellaway.png

This isn't all of it, but the important part to TX residents anyway.

Hey! Anyone who already had their interview know about thank you letters and where to send them?

This was a great school! I really enjoyed it and speaking with students and they have a very nice curriculum as well.

Hey! Anyone who already had their interview know about thank you letters and where to send them?
After the interview most of them will give you their business card with their email address.

Don't be fooled by this, it still means you are going to be ranked based on Honors, High Pass, Pass, etc. which is basically no different from A, B, C rankings

Lol. I know. I dont get the reluctance to switch to a true pass-fail. A

Lol. I know. I dont get the reluctance to switch to a true pass-fail. A
It's nothing but psychology.

Take 220 some-odd people who have been churning out high grades under high pressure their whole lives and tell them they're going to now be Pass/Fail suddenly makes them think that their lives will be relaxed once they get to med school and that it will be easier on the eyes. I promise you this is 100% just a delusion lol

Any IIs this week? I am dying to get one here

II just now! Three dates offered in Nov and one date in early Dec