2017-2018 Long School of Medicine - University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So is it generally better to choose the earliest date? I can choose any Friday in September

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So is it generally better to choose the earliest date? I can choose any Friday in September
If you are a very competitive applicant it doesn't matter this early, but if you are less competitive I would go with the earliest option available!

Members don't see this ad :)
Man I wonder why they waited so long to fill the September 8th interviews. I'd take it in a heartbeat tho if they offered it to me even the day before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

II today, which rounds out all the Texas schools for me except Dell which never sent me a secondary

Reactions: 1 users
II today, which rounds out all the Texas schools for me except Dell which never sent me a secondary

Congratulations! Wow that's amazing. I'm still in the dead silence squad. When were you complete and what dates were you offered?

Congratulations! Wow that's amazing. I'm still in the dead silence squad. When were you complete and what dates were you offered?

I think TMDSAS was verified early June. Every Friday in September except 9/15 was open.

Members don't see this ad :)
MS1's join the interviewees on Friday mornings during breakfast to just talk to the applicants about how they're doing, answer any questions, explain the school, and calm them down and let them meet people who were just recently in their situation. There's about 70-80 interviewees every Friday. So no, asking someone on here if their II was today (which people have revealed on SDN w/o me asking to begin with) and their thoughts on the MS1s is not "revealing information". If you think it's revealing bc of potential URM status, there's URMs at every interview as well. Don't really feel like fighting on here.

Hey Y'all, I'm a current MS2 at Long School of medicine. There is actually around 50 interviewees per interview day. The morning of your interview we have a "Breakfast of Champions" where you get to interact from students at various levels (MS1-MS4). Please let me know if y'all have any questions about the school or the interview day

Had my interview here today, and wow! I have to be honest this school wasn't really on my radar as somewhere I could see myself, but that definitely changed today.

The students get along extremely well -- and there is surprisingly a lot of camaraderie within and between each class. I think this is because they have a lot of programs to help students get advice from the upperclassmen/women. The students also made a lot of effort to say hi and talk to the interviewees, even if they weren't involved with interview day whatsoever. Overall, they all seemed VERY laid back and happy. Despite classes being graded, there didn't seem to be any cut-throat competition like you might expect.

The campus (or at least the parts they showed us) was also very impressive. A lot has been renovated there recently, so it has a very modern and campus-like feel to it.

One of the most shocking things to me was how much time this school gives you off for dedicated STEP1 study -- 4 months!! Also up to 5 or 6 free CBSE exams + uWorld access. This is definitely an attractive feature of the curriculum. Most students don't use the entire 4 months for step. If you take step in the first 1-2 months, you have the option to take electives, start rotations early, or do whatever.

EDIT: Dr. Kellaway promises the best lunch on the texas interview trail. This was my first interview, so I can't confirm whether the promise was delivered. Nonetheless, it was a great meal! Breakfast and post-interview snacks were also provided and fantastic.

Hi:) current MS2 here, this is exactly what I loved about this school. I have a lot of friends in schools all over and I really feel that the opportunities that have been afforded to us in our clinical skills class and extra curriculars also make Long SOM stand out. For example, Various schools are still learning basic physical exam skills as MS2s whereas we learned them as MS1's and have been working to refine our skills at identifying and understanding the pathology of each exam. Additionally our organizations here are unparalleled. You will get so many opportunities to interact with the communities not just in San Antonio but all parts of South Texas (and if you're luckyenough to get int the Global health program, across the globe).

I only registered on SDN today to say I got the II as well last night! I'm also OOS and already registered for 9/29. Let me know if anyone else will be interviewing that day so we can all meet!
Side note: My stats are not worthy to be up here. I'm just a non-trad.

I only registered on SDN today to say I got the II as well last night! I'm also OOS and already registered for 9/29. Let me know if anyone else will be interviewing that day so we can all meet!
Side note: My stats are not worthy to be up here. I'm just a non-trad.

Congratulations!! When were you complete?

Congratulations!! When were you complete?
I'm not sure. I finished on June 16 and it says it was transmitted to the schools on July 17. But my last MCAT score didn't come in until Aug 2. I'm also still missing 1 LoR on TMDSAS.

lol I'm still missing/ desperately longing for an II from most schools. When were you complete?

Like 6/20 LOL. Which is why I'm kind of concerned since people who were recently complete are getting IIs? I have multiple other IIs from TX schools though...

Like 6/20 LOL. Which is why I'm kind of concerned since people who were recently complete are getting IIs? I have multiple other IIs from TX schools though...
Yeah. I never believed med school apps reviewed files in order. Maybe some do and maybe some don't. But I feel it's really just random.

Got an II on 9/6/17

Primary transmitted 7/27/2017

LizzyM score ~63 but have tons of EC, research, and an unique background!

Was offered 2 spots in September and some in October!

Got an II on 9/6/17

Primary transmitted 7/27/2017

LizzyM score ~63 but have tons of EC, research, and an unique background!

Was offered 2 spots in September and some in October!

Thanks for posting! Congratulations on your II and best of luck!

II this morning! Non-trad, IS, Lizzy M 69-70, white male. This is one of my favorite schools! Offered dates for the last 3 Fridays in October, and it looks like they're offering Tuesday the 3rd as well.

Reactions: 2 users
II this morning! Non-trad, IS, Lizzy M 69-70, white male. This is one of my favorite schools! Offered dates for the last 3 Fridays in October, and it looks like they're offering Tuesday the 3rd as well.

Thanks for posting! Congratulations!!! Do you mind sharing when you were complete?

II this morning, Lizzy M 70-73, ORM male.

II this morning, Lizzy M 70-73, ORM male.

Wow! Thanks for posting! Congratulations!!! Wish you well.

Do you mind sharing when you were complete and what interview dates you were offered?

Anyone that has interviewed at UTSA - does the school show up on your tmdsas preference list

How many ppl does San Antonio interview per interview day?

Last edited:
What does the link say? I've had an interview but don't see anything.

Some schools are taking a while to show up
tmdsas pic.png

I'm a TX resident, and my first interview was early August, and I don't see anything either... :eyebrow:

I'm a TX resident, and my first interview was early August, and I don't see anything either... :eyebrow:

Three of my interviews show up the but it's been close to a month and Long is not on there. But it probably doesn't matter till at least January next year.

Edit - It's just do much easier ranking as I interview so I don't have to make decisions when I have forgotten my initial impressions

Long SOM is on my TMDSAS school rank preference page along with UTMB. Interviewed at UTHSA on 9/1

Three of my interviews show up the but it's been close to a month and Long is not on there. But it probably doesn't matter till at least January next year.

Edit - It's just do much easier ranking as I interview so I don't have to make decisions when I have forgotten my initial impressions

Maybe you can write down your thoughts on a sheet of paper or a word document of your rankings so you can input them when the time comes

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe you can write down your thoughts on a sheet of paper or a word document of your rankings so you can input them when the time comes
I kept a running google doc of my "rankings" for schools with my reasoning behind it. Especially if you're interviewing this early on, you'll probably forget just about everything from interview day come February

So since this school doesn't do secondary apps, do they mostly only look at stats (GPA and MCAT) before inviting for an interview. If so, does anyone know the minimums? Also, do they send out II weekly on Fridays?

I'm a Texas resident but unfamiliar with how the match program works. Can someone explain?

I'm a Texas resident but unfamiliar with how the match program works. Can someone explain?

Prematch period starts on Nov. 15. Prematch offers mean that if you rank that school 1 or don't match to any other schools ranked higher, you are guaranteed an acceptance.

Match is on Feb. 1. You rank the schools and the schools rank the applicants. All schools below the highest ranked school you are accepted to are dropped. However, if you don't match in a school ranked higher, then you can still be accepted off the waitlist.

Hope that kind of clears it up. If not, check tmdsas website

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile