2017-2018 Long School of Medicine - University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's the 4.0 kids with 520+ who and URMs with a Lizzy over 70 who are getting lots of invites now.

UNT is like the white nontrad with 3.3 and a 26 applying to Harvard...have you seen their invite list?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Current MS1 here. We start next Monday officially. Let me know if you guys have any questions & good luck to all of you.

I believe the first interview date here is on August 8

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly feel that every school is doing that right now. They are fighting to interview everyone with high stats first to make sure they don't lose out on them. Then later they will go back and look at applicants with lower stats. Idk though

Who knows. My LizzyM is 74 and I've heard from several other schools already (transmitted late May) but haven't heard back from here. Así es la vida.

Reactions: 1 user
Who knows. My LizzyM is 74 and I've heard from several other schools already (transmitted late May) but haven't heard back from here. Así es la vida.
This school prides itself in having a really diverse class with different experiences and backgrounds so don't worry yet

Just got an II last night at like 11 pm haha. ORM

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an II shortly after midnight. IS, not URM, non-trad, LizzyM around 80, transmitted second half of May.

QUESTION: Has anyone with an II written to/called the school to request a date other than the four offered? I can't make any of the dates and I'm wondering how understanding the school will be.

II received at midnight.
Transmitted: 6/23/17, LizzyM 67 URM

Last edited:
Could somebody tell Dr. Kellaway my email account is working great. I check it every five minutes just to be sure.

Reactions: 11 users
To my other $$$-conscious interviewees:
I think someone mentioned this in last year's thread so I was looking out for it. Just made a reservation at the La Quinta in the medical district and the "special rate" that you get when you tell them you're a UT Health applicant is actually $20+ more per night (for 2 double beds) than their online/ 20% off rate... which added up since I'm coming early for touristing! The receptionist matched the online price when I brought it up. So make sure to check online rates so ya don't get gypped!

Reactions: 2 users
@TexasSurgeon How do students feel about the grading system? Do you think the numerical grading system in any way slows down collaboration among the students?

@TexasSurgeon How do students feel about the grading system? Do you think the numerical grading system in any way slows down collaboration among the students?
2nd day of med school here just finished and I'd say it hasn't affected us one bit. We've already started sharing notes and information with each other and I think everyone realizes that if we don't work together, we're going to die alone.

There is absolutely no feeling of competition at this place. You will love it and it is such a refreshing change from the pressures of undergrad.

Reactions: 3 users
2nd day of med school here just finished and I'd say it hasn't affected us one bit. We've already started sharing notes and information with each other and I think everyone realizes that if we don't work together, we're going to die alone.

There is absolutely no feeling of competition at this place. You will love it and it is such a refreshing change from the pressures of undergrad.

how was the first day? :p

Anyone that transmitted after 7/25 get the "application received" email? This is the only school that I haven't received one from and I'm starting to get worried. I transmitted 7/26. Should I call?

Anyone that transmitted after 7/25 get the "application received" email? This is the only school that I haven't received one from and I'm starting to get worried. I transmitted 7/26. Should I call?
I transmitted 6/5 and received the email mid-July. I would wait. If the other schools received your application for sure, you're most likely fine.

Wait until September at least. Mine transmitted 6/13, and I recieved their email confirmation on 7/14, more than a whole month later!

San Antonio was late for me and I transmitted in early June!

Did anyone who transmitted late June or beyond get an II?

Hi,
I'm a second year student at UTHSA and the grading system was something I was concerned about too prior to matriculation. What many people don't realize is that essentially all schools have the same grading system they just call it different things. For example, most other schools will be : honors, high pass, pass, fail. This is essentially the same as A,B,C, and fail. At the end of the day all pre-clinical grades are important for are class percentile and AOA, therefore wherever you go will have to have a system in which to rank you. I will say that the amount of collaboration at our medical school is very high and has never been hindered by our grading system. I absolutely love the Long School of Medicine and I believe we have a very supportive atmosphere. Good luck with interviews!

Reactions: 5 users
Ok maybe i'm not looking hard enough, but I have scoured their website for the past 30 mins and cannot find their curriculum posted anywhere... Can anyone post a link to it?

Reactions: 3 users
Got an II shortly after midnight. IS, not URM, non-trad, LizzyM around 80, transmitted second half of May.

QUESTION: Has anyone with an II written to/called the school to request a date other than the four offered? I can't make any of the dates and I'm wondering how understanding the school will be.

So to answer my own question for others, the four dates you see available are not the only dates you can choose. As those dates fill up, new ones show up as available. Thus, if you can't make one of the four dates you see, do not stress; more will open.

So to answer my own question for others, the four dates you see available are not the only dates you can choose. As those dates fill up, new ones show up as available. Thus, if you can't make one of the four dates you see, do not stress; more will open.
I wish the top 10's would start interviewing you so the rest of us can begin to pick up the tmdsas scraps