2017-2018 Lincoln Memorial University - Debusk (LMU-DCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I feel like I gotta step in now before y'all give yourselves an aneurysm lol. The dean likes making these phone calls but they're busy as all get out. So they make the calls when they have time, which could be tonight or even tomorrow night or maybe even Monday. The worst that could happen is that they don't have time to make the calls at all and then everyone has to wait for the emails or snail mail to see if they got in or not. On that note, I do also want to add is that if calls do go out and you don't get a call, it might not be over yet. It is not uncommon for people to not get a call and then learn that they got accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've seen on the site, Canadian students don't need to submit their transcripts through WES? Or am I mistaken?

I feel like I gotta step in now before y'all give yourselves an aneurysm lol. The dean likes making these phone calls but they're busy as all get out. So they make the calls when they have time, which could be tonight or even tomorrow night or maybe even Monday. The worst that could happen is that they don't have time to make the calls at all and then everyone has to wait for the emails or snail mail to see if they got in or not. On that note, I do also want to add is that if calls do go out and you don't get a call, it might not be over yet. It is not uncommon for people to not get a call and then learn that they got accepted.
I mean tbh I'd have an aneurysm either way. We're just excited :p but thank you that's good information

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the call. So much pressure is off me now

Reactions: 1 user
Got the call for acceptance about 3 pm today!! So much weight is lifted now! Good Luck to everyone else waiting and to those who are going to interview soon!

Got the call for acceptance about 3 pm today!! So much weight is lifted now! Good Luck to everyone else waiting and to those who are going to interview soon!
On a Sunday?! That's wild haha.

For those of you who got accepted already, do you remember who interviewed you?

I haven't heard from DCOM ever since I submitted my primary app two weeks ago. Do they do silent rejections?

Anybody know when official emails/letters go out? I never got a call so I'm assuming I got waitlisted, unless they somehow got my number wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
There we go. Just got the alternate list email.

I submitted on 9/2. Received file complete and under review on 9/7... Any idea how long it will take to hear anything?

I submitted on 9/2. Received file complete and under review on 9/7... Any idea how long it will take to hear anything?
I've been complete since 9/5 and I haven't heard anything so I guess we have to wait longer.

I submitted my primary/secondary on 8/23 and still haven't heard anything

Completed my file on 8/24. Was invited for interview on 9/11. Interview date 9/15.

Last edited:
I have an interview 10/9..anyone coming from the west coast or to the west of LMU..how are you going to plan out the trip? It seems like i have to fly into Knoxville and maybe rent a car because it's going to take a little less than 2 hours to get to the hotel.

I Haven't heard from lmu-dcom, do they do silent rejections?

I got accepted via phone call today! I wasn't expecting that on a Saturday.

Still have not received a complete email. How long did it take for you guys once you had submitted the primary w/ questions?

Still have not received a complete email. How long did it take for you guys once you had submitted the primary w/ questions?
I submitted my primary 8/29 and I got the complete file email on 9/5.

Do you know how long it will take to hear something? My file was marked complete 9/7

It really depends on how many applications they have. They're expecting more applications than ever this year. I'd expect a turn around on whether you get an II to be around 3-4 weeks and as long as a month to two if you're getting pre-interview waitlisted. Unless things have changed, DCOM is one of those schools that won't reject you outright, but keeps your file open until the class is full.

It really depends on how many applications they have. They're expecting more applications than ever this year. I'd expect a turn around on whether you get an II to be around 3-4 weeks and as long as a month to two if you're getting pre-interview waitlisted. Unless things have changed, DCOM is one of those schools that won't reject you outright, but keeps your file open until the class is full.

Yeah I was complete 07/12 and have heard nothing.

Hey, everyone!

I'm a DO student here and just wanted to throw in my two cents. This school is seriously so incredible. I, like many of you, was from a major metropolitan area and was terrified of coming to Harrogate. I LOVE IT HERE. I have bonded with almost everyone in my class, and there is such a sense of community here. You will never wonder if you are supported. Professors will never let you slip through the cracks if you are struggling, and the other students all want the best for you as well. I am usually a straight A student but I got a C on one of my recent exams, and my advisor called me to check on me to make sure I was OK. This type of faculty-student support system just doesn't happen at many medical schools. Also, I have yet to see any competitive or nasty behavior from any of my classmates.
ADVICE: Be honest in your interview. If they ask you what area of medicine you are interested in, you don't have to lie and say primary care. I think I was interested in radiology at that time. They thanked me for my honesty. If they ask you why you want to go here, you don't have to make up some story about loving rural communities and wanting to commit your career to medical missions. Just tell the truth-seriously. There was a big joke from the Dean at our orientation week about how we are lucky our personal statements are not binding contracts or we would all be stuck as family med docs in Appalachia.
REAL TALK: I was accepted to many other "more desirable" D.O. schools in cities, but I felt such a genuine community of support here and knew that this is the best school for me. I have yet to regret this decision. Be open-minded and embrace the change. It's really only 1.5 years here and you can jet out to a city for your rotations. Also, don't live in Middlesboro. It gets weird over there.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, everyone!

I'm a DO student here and just wanted to throw in my two cents. This school is seriously so incredible. I, like many of you, was from a major metropolitan area and was terrified of coming to Harrogate. I LOVE IT HERE. I have bonded with almost everyone in my class, and there is such a sense of community here. You will never wonder if you are supported. Professors will never let you slip through the cracks if you are struggling, and the other students all want the best for you as well. I am usually a straight A student but I got a C on one of my recent exams, and my advisor called me to check on me to make sure I was OK. This type of faculty-student support system just doesn't happen at many medical schools. Also, I have yet to see any competitive or nasty behavior from any of my classmates.
ADVICE: Be honest in your interview. If they ask you what area of medicine you are interested in, you don't have to lie and say primary care. I think I was interested in radiology at that time. They thanked me for my honesty. If they ask you why you want to go here, you don't have to make up some story about loving rural communities and wanting to commit your career to medical missions. Just tell the truth-seriously. There was a big joke from the Dean at our orientation week about how we are lucky our personal statements are not binding contracts or we would all be stuck as family med docs in Appalachia.
REAL TALK: I was accepted to many other "more desirable" D.O. schools in cities, but I felt such a genuine community of support here and knew that this is the best school for me. I have yet to regret this decision. Be open-minded and embrace the change. It's really only 1.5 years here and you can jet out to a city for your rotations. Also, don't live in Middlesboro. It gets weird over there.

Thanks so much for this advice! One question though because I see this stated in a lot of forums about how people lie about wanting to go into primary care. What if you actually want to? Will they just automatically assume you don't actually want to be in primary care?

Thanks so much for this advice! One question though because I see this stated in a lot of forums about how people lie about wanting to go into primary care. What if you actually want to? Will they just automatically assume you don't actually want to be in primary care?
I would just encourage you to come prepared with examples/reasons that you want to do it. Talk about a PCP you shadowed or how you grew up in a rural area for example. If you worked in LA in Plastic Surgery or something all thru undergrad they may hard to convince.

If you want to go into primary care, tell them why. If you want to go into surgery, tell them why. It doesn't matter what you want to go into - they want to know what drives you. Why of all the things in the world that you could have done, why did you choose medicine? If you say "I want to help people," I know of one faculty member that's going to turn that around on you and ask you "then why not nursing/PA/pharmacy?"

II today!!
Complete on 9/11 and scheduled for 9/29 - hope to see some of you there!

II today!!
Complete on 9/11 and scheduled for 9/29 - hope to see some of you there!
Congrats and Good luck!!

I was complete on 9/12. Waiting for an II. Fingers crossed :unsure:

Last edited:
Can any current students talk about housing situation? Where do most students live/where do you recommend?

Can any current students talk about housing situation? Where do most students live/where do you recommend?

You've got a few options - there is housing directly on campus. All on campus housing consist of 3 room units with a shared common area with your 2 other roommates. There's housing about 1 mile down the highway at the University Inn, which was literally an Inn at one point so the rooms are what you'd expect. Those are the options that are sponsored by the school, otherwise you can find your own place either in Middlesboro, Harrogate, or the Cumberland Gap.

Middlesboro is in Kentucky and is about 7 minutes down the highway from campus. It's where everyone goes for groceries and fast food because it's the nearest big town to school.

Harrogate has a few apartment complexes and random houses for rent. It's on the Tennessee side obviously because this is where school is.

The Cumberland Gap is a really small town that's down the road from the University Inn. It's where all the bars are so it's the place where people go to randomly hangout. There are a few apartments to rent.

Go on line and take a look at Ball Realty. They have a lot of 1 and 2 br apartments about 5 minutes from campus!

Has anyone else been complete awhile? I've been complete since 08/23 with silence since.

I believe they have regional bias and preference for high GPA, as long as you meet their minimum MCAT score. That's why a lot of us who are waiting with nothing but silence. I've been complete since 9/5 and nothing here.

I believe they have regional bias and preference for high GPA, as long as you meet their minimum MCAT score. That's why a lot of us who are waiting with nothing but silence. I've been complete since 9/5 and nothing here.

Not so sure about that. We have a lot of students from all over - especially from the Chicago area and the northeast. There's probably an equivalent amount of people in the class that are from the North/Northeast area compared to the amount of people from TN/KY/VA/NC/SC. There's even a good number of West Coasters considering it's a small school in rural TN.

This is just an update from my previous post. I received a call for acceptance tonight.

I completed my file on 8/24. Was invited for interview on 9/11. Interview date 9/15. Accepted 9/22.

Good luck everyone else and hope to meet you next July!

Last edited:
Interview 10/6!! Application complete 9/11. IS (new to SDN so I'm pretty sure that means in-state- sorry if I totally got that wrong)