2017-2018 Liberty University (LUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I probably met you. I was in that little classroom with 4 interviewees answering questions.
Then we defidently met. Thanks for all the input!

Members don't see this ad.

Just wrapped interview day a couple of hours ago. I feel that it was a positive experience and I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the school. The atmosphere is one of support and camaraderie, and the approachability of the students and staff made it feel like (cliché I know) family. Just about everyone we interacted with today seemed to make it a priority to help us settle in and feel at ease. As the 8 of us interviewees sat in the lobby waiting for the process to begin, the students walking into class would holler out words of encouragement and wish us luck. Thought that was cool.

For those of you looking ahead to your interview in the next few days/weeks, I'll pass on the words of wisdom shared to me: Relax and be yourself! You may still get some challenging questions and be asked to defend your stance, but if you are composed and genuine they'll be able to see "you" and how you think. And things are much better that way anyway :)

Reactions: 1 users
I hope that you gain acceptance. If you do not mind me prying, what specific questions did you encounter during the interview?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
hi everyone, i'm an OMS3 out in the Richmond metro area doing rotations for the year. feel free to PM me with questions about the school.

Whats up 2017-18 cycle applicants! OMS1 here. Good luck on all of your applications and interviews! Shoot me a PM if you have any questions about the school or the Lynchburg area. I'd be more than happy to help out.

Last edited:
LUCOM OMS-2 here. If anyone has any questions about LUCOM or the interview process, let me know. Always happy to help. :)
Good luck in finding the medical school right for you and I wish you all the best!

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations!!!!! When are you going for your interview? Mine is on 9/21, but so far I haven't talked to anyone else going on that day
I'm going on that day!

hi everyone, i'm an OMS3 out in the Richmond metro area doing rotations for the year. feel free to PM me with questions about the school.

Whats up 2017-18 cycle applicants! OMS1 here. Good luck on all of your applications and interviews! Shoot me a PM if you have any questions about the school or the Lynchburg area. I'd be more than happy to help out.

LUCOM OMS-2 here. If anyone has any questions about LUCOM or the interview process, let me know. Always happy to help. :)
Good luck in finding the medical school right for you and I wish you all the best!

Hi all! I'm interviewing here Friday and really excited. I'm interested in hearing what you think the strongest qualities of this school are, as well as the worst. For the OMS3, what do you think of your rotation site in particular, and those offered in general? Being Christian based, does the school explicitly state a position regarding abortion/euthanasia?

Thanks so much! I hope to be joining you next year :)

Hi all! I'm interviewing here Friday and really excited. I'm interested in hearing what you think the strongest qualities of this school are, as well as the worst. For the OMS3, what do you think of your rotation site in particular, and those offered in general? Being Christian based, does the school explicitly state a position regarding abortion/euthanasia?

Hi, OMS1 here.

Good Qualities -
Nice facility -anatomy lab, lecture halls, OMM lab, and PCM labs are all top notch. Like better than Duke (I've worked there).
Nice classmates and upperclassman.

Dislikes -
They don't offer student insurance, which is hopefully about to change. This sucks for students over 26 bc insurance is so outrageously expensive .

As far as abortion an euthanasia, it has not come up yet, so unsure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would really like to speak (on the phone) to a student currently attending LUCOM. If anyone is comfortable with this, please PM me. I will call you (we can also skype), and I assure you it will not be a long conversation :) 15 minutes tops. Thank you!

Hi there! So glad that you're interviewing tomorrow! I hope you have an incredible interview day and get to experience how amazing our faculty and staff truly are. I'm sorry that I'm just getting back to you; you'll soon find out how busy school keeps you.

Pros of LUCOM:
  • Faculty and staff that truly care about your success and want to encourage you every step of the way. I came from a 60,000 student undergraduate university. So every professor knowing not only my name, but also knowing my character and actually caring - was a new experience for me
  • State-of-the-art facility and you'll see what I mean tomorrow during your interview day tour; one of the many perks of attending a brand new facility
  • We are truly a family. There is a sense of together-ness that I think stands LUCOM apart. We work together as a class to get through tough subjects or courses. "Cut-throat" is the opposite description of our daily environment.
  • Being a part of the earlier graduating classes means that we get to contribute to making the curriculum and program better. We make suggestions and faculty listen and adjust accordingly.
  • LUCOM is inclusive of every culture, race, religion and background. LUCOM is a Christian-based organization, but no where does that conflict with how or what we are taught.

Cons of LUCOM:
  • Being a new school, there are still some kinks being worked out with technology and the curriculum. But faculty are constantly working to better our curriculum, taking our suggestions into consideration.

To answer your last question, although LUCOM is a Christian-based organization, we are not taught what is right and wrong when it comes to ethics. Instead, faculty encourage us to evaluate our own beliefs, and come to a conclusion on our own. They emphasize that someday as clinicians, we need to know what we believe and be able to stand behind it. Hopefully that answers your questions.

Good luck tomorrow! I'll be the one of the students that wishes y'all luck on my way to lecture!

Reactions: 4 users
Hi there! So glad that you're interviewing tomorrow! I hope you have an incredible interview day and get to experience how amazing our faculty and staff truly are. I'm sorry that I'm just getting back to you; you'll soon find out how busy school keeps you.

Pros of LUCOM:
  • Faculty and staff that truly care about your success and want to encourage you every step of the way. I came from a 60,000 student undergraduate university. So every professor knowing not only my name, but also knowing my character and actually caring - was a new experience for me
  • State-of-the-art facility and you'll see what I mean tomorrow during your interview day tour; one of the many perks of attending a brand new facility
  • We are truly a family. There is a sense of together-ness that I think stands LUCOM apart. We work together as a class to get through tough subjects or courses. "Cut-throat" is the opposite description of our daily environment.
  • Being a part of the earlier graduating classes means that we get to contribute to making the curriculum and program better. We make suggestions and faculty listen and adjust accordingly.
  • LUCOM is inclusive of every culture, race, religion and background. LUCOM is a Christian-based organization, but no where does that conflict with how or what we are taught.

Cons of LUCOM:
  • Being a new school, there are still some kinks being worked out with technology and the curriculum. But faculty are constantly working to better our curriculum, taking our suggestions into consideration.

To answer your last question, although LUCOM is a Christian-based organization, we are not taught what is right and wrong when it comes to ethics. Instead, faculty encourage us to evaluate our own beliefs, and come to a conclusion on our own. They emphasize that someday as clinicians, we need to know what we believe and be able to stand behind it. Hopefully that answers your questions.

Good luck tomorrow! I'll be the one of the students that wishes y'all luck on my way to lecture!
That's exactly the vibe I got Monday during my interview day. You probably wished me luck too, so thanks!!

I was just wondering how the match into residences went and where everyone placed? Also, how focused is the school on preparing for boards?

I was just wondering how the match into residences went and where everyone placed? Also, how focused is the school on preparing for boards?

Match day isn't until March for the 4th years. We don't have a class beyond them, so unsure. I'm interested in that as well.

And I've been meaning to ask a oms2 or 3 if there is a formal class for boards, I know oms2's get 6 weeks for board prep.

I'll ask a oms3 this week and get back to you.

Match day isn't until March for the 4th years. We don't have a class beyond them, so unsure. I'm interested in that as well.

And I've been meaning to ask a oms2 or 3 if there is a formal class for boards, I know oms2's get 6 weeks for board prep.

I'll ask a oms3 this week and get back to you.

Thank you so much for your input!

Also fellow interviewees grab some food at La Cerretas on timberlake Road best and cheap food that I have had!

I had a great time today! It was very friendly and relaxing. Favorite part was having a current student give us a high-five. The interview was more of a conversation and I only had 1 question that I was surprised by (just caught me off-guard). Also, I only had 1 question pertaining to my religion just asking to discuss it. Overall had a great experience and am hoping for some love haha

Reactions: 2 users
I had a great time today! It was very friendly and relaxing. Favorite part was having a current student give us a high-five. The interview was more of a conversation and I only had 1 question that I was surprised by (just caught me off-guard). Also, I only had 1 question pertaining to my religion just asking to discuss it. Overall had a great experience and am hoping for some love haha

And we are actually even friendlier on non-test days if that's possible to believe. :highfive:

Whoa... what food truck do you speak of. I was not informed of such things.

Nick, you haven't been at LUCOM long enough to experience the incredible Lynchburg food trucks. The interviewees and I talked about food A LOT Monday :rofl::rofl::rofl:

What are the dates for interviews so far for LUCOM?

Thank you!

They told people who interviewed last week that they were going to have a meeting today (Wednesday) to determine acceptances. So they said that it is possible to get a call as early as next Wednesday (week from now). Fingers crossed! Please post if anyone gets a call.

Thank you so much for your input!

So I spoke with a 3rd year today. They got 6-8 weeks to study. They give you the option (or gave them at least) to choose a course of your liking and they would refund you the money for the course. She did not remember the $$ limit.

As far as board scores go, it was stated to me that the yet to be finalized 3rd year comlex step 1 scores were considerably higher than the previous years. So i'm interested to see what they come out to be. I believe our current 4th year step 1 average was in the ~52nd percentile - could be mistaken though.

I have an interview this Thursday too (tomorrow), so maybe they have more interview days every week.

Awesome! Best of luck to you! Shoot me a message if you have any questions about LUCOM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone else have an acceptance tab on the myLU portal checklist? Can't remember if it was there to begin with...

Where on the portal are you seeing it?

How did you access the portal, aside from clicking on the secondary link since it just says mine is already complete?
It's under mylu.liberty.edu. Looks like this:
IMG_0628.jpg

Mine also says Acceptance, butnit looks like it's locked
Hey everyone, the MyLU page will have an admissions tab and an acceptance tab with the requirements for each listed. This is normal. Main thing to pay attention to is the part that says status.

Overall story, the acceptance tab is always there but the parts under it will not unlock till you get THE call and then you can start working on the checklist.

Hey everyone, the MyLU page will have an admissions tab and an acceptance tab with the requirements for each listed. This is normal. Main thing to pay attention to is the part that says status.

Overall story, the acceptance tab is always there but the parts under it will not unlock till you get THE call and then you can start working on the checklist.
Appreciate the info! All the best to everyone in this waiting game :)

so I got an II without a DO letter... is this common?

so I got an II without a DO letter... is this common?

I'm not 100% sure about this but the DO letter would be a requirement through the process and even after the interview could put your admissions decision on hold until they receive your DO letter. I'd definitely ask them that question though.

Just curious, why no DO letter?

I'm not 100% sure about this but the DO letter would be a requirement through the process and even after the interview could put your admissions decision on hold until they receive your DO letter. I'd definitely ask them that question though.

Just curious, why no DO letter?

Hmm not sure. I called in the beginning of August to check to see if I was missing anything because I wasn't aware of the DO req at the time and they told me that I needed one (i don't have one because my AACOMAS letters are filled with 3 profs, 2 MD that know me extremely well, 1 community service/church. the DO's I've shadowed didn't get to know my as well) Didn't try to pursue it because I already have 3 interviews but was kinda surprised that I got one from LUCOM even after calling and reaffirming that I do indeed need one.

The admissions checklist has disappeared...:ninja: I sense movement!

Hmm not sure. I called in the beginning of August to check to see if I was missing anything because I wasn't aware of the DO req at the time and they told me that I needed one (i don't have one because my AACOMAS letters are filled with 3 profs, 2 MD that know me extremely well, 1 community service/church. the DO's I've shadowed didn't get to know my as well) Didn't try to pursue it because I already have 3 interviews but was kinda surprised that I got one from LUCOM even after calling and reaffirming that I do indeed need one.
They will grant interviews, but you are still required to provide a DO letter as a prerequisite requirement before acceptance and matriculation. If you are not going to provide one, I would cancel the interview. Otherwise, you are just wasting their time and taking away an interview spot from someone who is willing to meet the requirements.

Has anyone called Dr. Patton for an update yet?