2017-2018 George Washington University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Re-review.

This is considered a soft-rejection right? I don't believe they reject people throughout the cycle.
Hmm, no that is not the consensus. If you read the previous pages on this thread you'll see that most people consider it a neutral thing. Also, no one actually knows, so...make peace with the silence.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Still showing as complete (completed 7/21). Hopefully I"ll hear something soon!

Yeah, definitely it's clinical experience....

just wondering if it meets the "involving direct patient contact" criteria that GW has in the secondary. Do you think it still does?

This is going to sound kind of bad but where did you find that criteria?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is going to sound kind of bad but where did you find that criteria?

I believe it is one of the secondary prompts:

What is your most meaningful clinical experience to date, involving direct patient contact? (350 characters)

I personally feel like my scribe experience has been my most meaningful clinical experience, but it doesn't involve THAT much direct patient contact. Or am I overthinking this?

Reactions: 1 user
I believe it is one of the secondary prompts:

What is your most meaningful clinical experience to date, involving direct patient contact? (350 characters)

I personally feel like my scribe experience has been my most meaningful clinical experience, but it doesn't involve THAT much direct patient contact. Or am I overthinking this?

Ohhh, I see. I thought you meant there was a rule about having a certain # of hours. I think if you want to talk about an experience where you directly interacted with a patient (as opposed to just watching an interaction between doctor and patient) then that would be fine. Like even just if you were comforting them, listening to their story, etc.

Ohhh, I see. I thought you meant there was a rule about having a certain # of hours. I think if you want to talk about an experience where you directly interacted with a patient (as opposed to just watching an interaction between doctor and patient) then that would be fine. Like even just if you were comforting them, listening to their story, etc.
I ultimately used my clinical volunteering experience in a GI surgery clinic for this, since I talk to the patients (especially when transporting them), help with intake, get them snacks/drinks/blankets, etc. I did that because I've definitely seen it argued that for it to count you have to really be interacting with patients. In reality my medical scribe job, I think, is way more meaningful. I'm extremely useful to the provider I work for (and could probably diagnose 90% of the patients we see myself I've spent so much time with him). I do enjoy chatting with the patients in my clinical volunteering position but I can't pretend that what I'm doing there is really important.

Re-review... oh well... GW does not have the MD/MBA program that I want so I'm not overly disappointed.

Complete July 6 and placed in the growing re-review pile.

For those of you who have interviews next weekend (August '17), how are you prepping?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys get an email about the re-review, or portal? And, is it better to have just been reviewed once, or to go through the re-review?

Did you guys get an email about the re-review, or portal? And, is it better to have just been reviewed once, or to go through the re-review?
I'm pretty sure all apps are re-reviewed a bunch of times before an II.

it seems like 90% of applicants are on re-review :D

Reactions: 1 users
I am trying to pay for the application but it says that submit payment button is temporarily disabled and it's really bothering me.

Still at the "file complete" stage. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing....

I am trying to pay for the application but it says that submit payment button is temporarily disabled and it's really bothering me.
hey just a heads up, you can pay now its finally back up!!

i'm really struggling with the contribution/diversity prompt (for here and at most schools) would anyone be willing to take a look at what i've written? it's mostly trying to get it under the character limit and wondering if it actually answers the question. i've tried asking my friends to look over it but haven't had any luck. i'd really appreciate any help!!

i'm really struggling with the contribution/diversity prompt (for here and at most schools) would anyone be willing to take a look at what i've written? it's mostly trying to get it under the character limit and wondering if it actually answers the question. i've tried asking my friends to look over it but haven't had any luck. i'd really appreciate any help!!

I can try to help

We're all on that level hahha
Also still on "File Complete." Submitted July 19 but complete July 25 due to a delayed letter. I just want to hear that they've reviewed me! GW does get about 15,000 apps a year though...

Last edited:
interview invite email sent yesterday at like 2pm. lizzy m 70, complete 7/29. VA resident.

Reactions: 8 users
For all of you on "re-review" is this the message you have in the portal? I didn't receive an email about it.

Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date. Files are re-reviewed by the committee periodically and there is no set schedule for decisions. We do interview from August through March. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal. If we require any further documentation or if your status changes, we will contact you immediately. We do sincerely appreciate your interest in our program. Thank you for your patience.

For all of you on "re-review" is this the message you have in the portal? I didn't receive an email about it.

Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date. Files are re-reviewed by the committee periodically and there is no set schedule for decisions. We do interview from August through March. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal. If we require any further documentation or if your status changes, we will contact you immediately. We do sincerely appreciate your interest in our program. Thank you for your patience.
yup that's the one

Those of you that have gone to re-review or other, when were you complete?

GW (and GT) sent me their secondary july 5th, but i wasn't verified on amcas until the 27th. I submitted them aug 9th, which was within 2 weeks of being verified but over a month after actually receiving them. Wondering how this will look on my part....

re-review. honestly, I'm just happy that my app was updated. i was getting nervous wondering how long it was going to take.

Those that were marked for "re-review," did you receive an email or did you have to check your portal for the update?

Placed on re-review today. Based on last year's thread, updating your file seems to help...

Placed on re-review today. Based on last year's thread, updating your file seems to help...
What should I update them with? I feel like I will continue to do the same thing... Is the letter of interest one of the choices?

What should I update them with? I feel like I will continue to do the same thing... Is the letter of interest one of the choices?

This is what I found from last year's thread:

I attended the webinar as well and here are a bit more specifics on items from the presentation, hope this helps! FYI, they encouraged communicating to the admissions via the portal and formally in email a lot :)

1. the status of "On hold for re-review" is an active status and common

2. Re-Reviews are unpredictable
-submitting an update does not automatically bring your application to the front of the stacks, since the reviews are unpredictable, you can get lucky with updating one day and 2 days later you are reviewed and it is right there with your file

3. They stressed using the Applicant Portal Update tool to inform the Admissions Committee about your current activities
-"Think like a person on admissions, what will make your update stand out as to others" as well as length of the update, that is up to the applicant
-you can update on variety of items: new job/promotion, clinical experience, past experience not on our AMCAS, awards, grades (not transcripts)
-letters of interest/intent are good
-you can expand upon what was in your AMCAS and or secondary essays as well say when you are writing a letter of intent

Reactions: 7 users
This is what I found from last year's thread:
what do you guys think the format of an update should be? I completed a summer volunteer program and want to tell them about it, so should I just be like "As of 8/10 I have completed ...etc .."