2017-2018 George Washington University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So does re-review basically mean you are neither rejected nor accepted yet?
I think so. I feel its like they've saw it, but not II yet OR they've seen it and are in the process of giving out II and are taking a longer time to decide.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know why there is such a large discrepancy between the MCAT median on their site for c/o 2020 (31) and the MCAT median on MSAR (505 for the matriculating class ~29 equivalent)? Do they favour the new MCAT THAT much?

Isn't the MCAT median on MSAR a 511?

Members don't see this ad :)
Service, service, service, service.... interest in future service.... service, service. I'm not joking, demonstrating altruism and a desire to use medicine to continue doing so is the #1 most important thing to GW imho. When you're applying, look up the different service opportunities at GW SMHS and let them know which ones you're interested in and why.

(Current 4th year)

Hi. I'm a current applicant to enter next year as an M1. I'm not sure how to create my own post, so this may seem irrelevant to this thread. Given you're a current student, I figured you'd be a great person to ask anyway. So I spent the past year scribing for a Family Medicine doc whose patient panel largely consisted of trans individuals. She provided primary care and hormone replacement therapy for her trans patients and it made me passionate about getting involved in advocating for trans patients. I believe I have acquired a great knowledge base and want to share it with others and use it together with GW's resources to make it my service focus during school. I haven't done a lot of homework on how to go about doing this yet, but I was wondering if you could possibly point me in the right direction.

Reactions: 1 users
On that re-review bus. :/ Hope it's not a bad sign!

II today! Submitted 7/12!

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats to everyone getting IIs. Quick questions for you folkx. Did your app status go from in-review to II? Or was it In-Review -> re-review -> II? Also, were you notified via email or portal? Thanks in advanced!

Congrats to everyone getting IIs. Quick questions for you folkx. Did your app status go from in-review to II? Or was it In-Review -> re-review -> II? Also, were you notified via email or portal? Thanks in advanced!
I don't think I ever got the re-review status, or if I did, I wasn't notified of it. Just got an email saying I had an interview!

Submitted the secondary on 7/6 and it still says that my app is 'complete'... No change in status or change to 're-review'... hoping to hear something soon!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
GW has started to extend invitations for interviews! One faculty interview, one student interview. They are asking for all day availability (9:15am-3pm) and only interviewing on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday

**Warning: speculation ahead**

I'm thinking schools stratify their applications based some easily identifiable and "objective" measure; an easy one to pick out is MCAT. So, what GW could do is the following: screen early and stratify by some combination of GPA and MCAT score. Those who have high scores are potentially higher in priority, while those lower but not necessarily rejected are "on hold for re-review." Once they get through their "priority" applications, they then move to those who are on re-review.

Again, this is pure speculation, but this is kind of how I'm seeing things unfold a little bit here and on other threads.

I'm thinking schools stratify their applications based some easily identifiable and "objective" measure; an easy one to pick out is MCAT. So, what GW could do is the following: screen early and stratify by some combination of GPA and MCAT score. Those who have high scores are potentially higher in priority, while those lower but not necessarily rejected are "on hold for re-review." Once they get through their "priority" applications, they then move to those who are on re-review.

Again, this is pure speculation, but this is kind of how I'm seeing things unfold a little bit here and on other threads.
I would disagree, I think they actually look to see if your application fits their goals

Last edited:
I would disagree, I'm on re-review with a 519 whereas 510s are getting II. I think they actually look to see if your application fits their goals

Just to add to the conversion: I agree with both of you. I think another factor that schools really pay attention to is how realistic is it that you'll go there. They probably want you to identify a legitimate reason you'll attend, other than just location. For example, having family in DC gives you a pretty good motive. They also probably suspect somebody with a really high MCAT to be accepted to other schools that they have a better chance of going to. Doesn't mean you're not an impressive applicant, but why would they waste their time interviewing somebody that realistically wouldn't go there? Just my two cents.

I have very average stats and have received an interview so im not sure how applicable this is at GW. My Stats are 510 and 3.63

I wonder how the order they review apps. Review means they looked at your app and you are being considered but no II at the moment. But when you are still just "complete" does that mean they haven't looked at it yet? If so, I wonder why not.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My LizzyM is ~80. High GPA and MCAT with stellar ECs (according to SDN). My app is under re-review.

You don't have to provide details (or say anything at all), but just for curiosity's sake, how are your EC's?

I shadowed a lot during undergrad, have very minimal research in psychology (no publications or presentations), worked as a caregiver for a girl with developmental disabilities while in college, worked 1 year as a scribe during my first gap year, and currently work as a medical assistant (second gap year). I'd say pretty average for SDN posters haha

I got a re review today on my portal What it means?

I got a re-review today as well. cGPA 3.7 and sGPA 3.75. MCAT 509. Anybody know how common this 're-review' status is?

As of 7/21, I'm still sitting as "complete." Please love me GW <3

As of 7/21, I'm still sitting as "complete." Please love me GW <3

I have "You're file is now complete" since completing the secondary on 7/5. Mysterious process, this.

Reactions: 4 users
I have "You're file is now complete" since completing the secondary on 7/5. Mysterious process, this.

Jeez.... I don't know how they decide what order to do this in lol

I would email the doctor and kindly remind him/her about the time sensitivity. the doc probably lost track of time. you can also write how much you enjoyed working with him/her again and reiterate why you want to go to med school.
Advice needed on LOR:

I am still waiting on one, and while my writer remains that he is very enthusiastic, it has yet to come. It is from a doc I shadowed/worked for for several years.

Most of my school have marked my app complete despite the letter as I have 3 others, but GW and Duke say they will not consider the app until all LORs are in.

Since time seems to be the most precious thing right now, should I cancel the letter so GW can begin to process my app? If I end up getting it, I figured I can just add it back through AMCAS. Does this look bad to medical schools to cancel a letter? I am also worried that not having a letter from him looks bad as I spent so much time with him. Not sure what the best course of action is.

Has anyone with a re-review have been offered an II?

Reactions: 3 users
II this morning. Complete 7/15. 3.88/512

Reactions: 9 users
Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date. Files are re-reviewed by the committee periodically and there is no set schedule for decisions. We do interview from August through March. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal. If we require any further documentation or if your status changes, we will contact you immediately. We do sincerely appreciate your interest in our program. Thank you for your patience.

tenor.gif

Reactions: 11 users
At least you have an answer. I've been complete since 7/5

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
does anyone (who has yet to submit the secondary) know if the payment site is back on? i'm ready to submit but apparently it's down for "maintenance" and they haven't sent out an update :/

Does working as a scribe fit their direct patient contact experience or no? I felt like I interacted with patients just as much as standard volunteering since you often got them water/blankets/spoke briefly to them about their day.

A wise person once said that if you can smell patients, it counts as patient contact/clinical experience. Or something along those lines..

Re-review.

This is considered a soft-rejection right? I don't believe they reject people throughout the cycle.