2017-2018 Florida State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

M3 here, willing to answer any questions.

Reactions: 1 user
M2 here, also willing to help.

Members don't see this ad :)
This school has a lower median MCAT/GPA than other Florida schools, so why choose this school? And what do they look for in applicants?

Sorry if either of these sound dismissive/pretentious, that wasn't my intention.

Ok so here's the thing that I've learned in my years at FSU-COM:
1. FSU COM has great clinical faculty who does a fantastic job at teaching medicine. They make well-rounded doctors. MCAT/GPA do not reflect the type of doctor you will become. There are people with high MCAT and GPA that don't get into medical school at all. Additionally, I know people in my class with much higher stats than me who aren't the best fit for medicine. The faculty will tell you here that MCAT/GPA have no correlation with making good-value doctors, or for that matter, performance in medical school. We have colleagues that have low MCATs who rocked Step 1 and who do well in class and in clinic. Don't worry about it @CJB411 I don't believe you were trying to be pretentious. This is just FYI.
2. You have to ask yourself why you're going to medical school. Seriously ask yourself. Only you know your true intentions. I do know people who admitted to me that their primary reason was for the money, prestige, power, some combination of the 3, etc. And if that's true, that's your business. I'm not saying that those aren't factors at all, that's just idealistic and ignorant. However, an institution like FSU COM was built on the principles of allocating physicians where the people of this country really need them. A decent amount of people are getting into this line of work for the patients and their well-being as their primary motive; to take care of the patients in areas of need. This seems a bit tangential to your original question but I'll send it back. If you want to go to an institution that requests a higher GPA/MCAT for their applicants, that's up to you. But there honestly isn't that much of a difference between the MD schools of Florida, minus some deviations between Step 1 scores. FSU COM does much better on Step 2 because it is clinical, and that's quite important.
3. FSU looks for a well-rounded person who has pure intentions in medicine and want to be what a doctor truly is: a servant and a beacon for the community of patients. GPA/MCAT are important, but not be-all-end-all. They look for people that volunteer a lot, have a good personal statement, and work hard.

Reactions: 8 users
Enjoy your summer then lol. Don't study into the ground. Go on vacation, spend time with family, etc.

I'm really excited at the prospect of going here. Great mission and great area with a clinical focus. Let's go, fam! Get ready.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone receive this secondary? If so, could you post the prompts?

Early start, early immersion into clinical experiences, warm atmosphere.

Reactions: 2 users
Early start, early immersion into clinical experiences, warm atmosphere.
Can you expand a little on what you liked about early start / how it made the rest of the year easier for you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Early start made it so I didn't have to take anatomy year round like most other med schools. Decompression.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone received a secondary invite here yet? Been verified for a while and still waiting.

I am really looking forward to this application cycle. This school has quickly become my top choice as I feel it perfectly fits who I am as a person!! Cant wait :) Strong LOEs, ECs, amazing community service, research, shadowing, leadership, URM here etc. Lower than average MCAT. But this school is amazing, and holds all my passions. Hoping it looks past that!!

Which regional campus are you st? Im already dreaming about the orlando campus :)
Can't say because of anonymity. But I'll say that all of the campuses are great. My colleagues at the Orlando campus absolutely love it though!

Is anyone having difficulties accessing their secondary application? Its been like an hour since I paid the fee and I still can't access it

Just got my secondary!

Is anyone having difficulties accessing their secondary application? Its been like an hour since I paid the fee and I still can't access it
It says in the email that it will take at least 24 hours.

Anyone know what they mean for "previous or current relationship to FSU" when it comes to signing up for an account? I applied for undergrad and was accepted, but didn't attend. Not sure if that counts as a previous relationship..

Anyone know what they mean for "previous or current relationship to FSU" when it comes to signing up for an account? I applied for undergrad and was accepted, but didn't attend. Not sure if that counts as a previous relationship..

+1. Part of the reason I want to go here for medical school is because I'm curious on what I missed out on during undergrad.

Also, Secondary received. OOS.

Are the prompts the same as last year? If not, could anyone post them? Thanks!

Secondary submitted to dream school!

Are the prompts the same as last year? If not, could anyone post them? Thanks!
1) Indicate your significant travel experiences and include the circumstances.
2) Indicate what you do for fun and diversion (hobbies, special interests, etc.)
3) Identify any other traits, habits, experiences, interests, etc., that a professor or advisor would not normally learn about you.
4) For both mother and father, give the following:
Where they were raised
4-5 traits that would describe him/her to a stranger
Traits you get from him/her
Your rapport with him/her
His/her hobbies or interests
5) Give names, ages and a few brief comments about your brothers and sisters.
6) In what field of medicine do you envision yourself working ten years from now?
7) Write a critical analysis of your personal and scholastic qualifications for the study of medicine and the realization of your professional ambitions.

What are the typical stats for someone in state?

This is from the FSUCOM website but you can probably find more detailed stats listed in the MSAR.

What is the minimum GPA and MCAT score I need to apply to your school?
We have no minimum requirements for these scores. The average GPA for the 2017 entering class was 3.7 and the average MCAT score was 505. Our Admissions Committee prefers to look at the entire application rather than just test scores.
M.D. Admissions - Frequently Asked Questions - FSU College of Medicine

1) Indicate your significant travel experiences and include the circumstances.
2) Indicate what you do for fun and diversion (hobbies, special interests, etc.)
3) Identify any other traits, habits, experiences, interests, etc., that a professor or advisor would not normally learn about you.
4) For both mother and father, give the following:
Where they were raised
5) Give names, ages and a few brief comments about your brothers and sisters.
6) In what field of medicine do you envision yourself working ten years from now?
7) Write a critical analysis of your personal and scholastic qualifications for the study of medicine and the realization of your professional ambitions.
are there any word/character limits?

Has anyone that's submitted their secondary received a confirmation e-mail or anything? It lists the date that I submitted my secondary on the website but I haven't received anything else from the school.

+1. Part of the reason I want to go here for medical school is because I'm curious on what I missed out on during undergrad.

I just sent admissions an email about this, so I'll let you know what they say!

Just got a response. They said:
Yes if you were associated long enough with FSU to activate an FSUID, you will “probably” have to use it (yours is xyz) on the fee payment site.

You may have to reset your password – there is some login help and Help Desk info

So, looks like we will be signing up for an account with our FSUID!

Just got a response. They said:
Yes if you were associated long enough with FSU to activate an FSUID, you will “probably” have to use it (yours is xyz) on the fee payment site.

You may have to reset your password – there is some login help and Help Desk info

So, looks like we will be signing up for an account with our FSUID!

If I applied and was accepted here for undergrad but did not attend, do you know if I would have an FSUID?

Secondary received
Hey can you post the secondary?

I have the one from last year..

Travel

1.) Indicate your significant travel experiences and include the circumstances.

Fun and Diversion

2.) Indicate what you do for fun and diversion (hobbies, special interests, etc.)

Miscellaneous

3.) Identify any other traits, habits, experiences, interests, etc., that a professor or advisor would not normally learn about you.

Parents

4.) For both mother and father, give the following:

Where they were raised

Siblings

5.) Give names, ages and a few brief comments about your brothers and sisters.

Practice Vision

6.) In what field of medicine do you envision yourself working ten years from now?

ACT/SAT Scores (if any)

7.) Please enter your ACT and SAT scores if you have taken these tests.

Self-Critical Essay

8.) Write a critical analysis of your personal and scholastic qualifications for the study of medicine and the realization of your professional ambitions.

If I applied and was accepted here for undergrad but did not attend, do you know if I would have an FSUID?
Yep, because I also applied/was accepted and didn't attend and I have one. It should be in the email they sent you for the secondary.

How long has it taken you all to receive your secondary? I have been verified since Thursday July 13 :)

Regarding the question about "field of medicine" does it refer to field as in academic medicine, private practice etc...? Or does it refer to different fields such as pediatrics, surgery, primary care etc...?

Regarding the question about "field of medicine" does it refer to field as in academic medicine, private practice etc...? Or does it refer to different fields such as pediatrics, surgery, primary care etc...?
I took it more as which specialty do you want to go into. But I also spoke a bit about where I see myself applying that in the future.

Secondary received :) verified on the 13 of july

Did anyone actually enter ACT/SAT scores? I vaguely remember my scores. I'm a nontrad so it's been several years since I took those exams.

Did anyone actually enter ACT/SAT scores? I vaguely remember my scores. I'm a nontrad so it's been several years since I took those exams.
Nah dude, **** that. Why would anyone want to see ACT and SAT when you have MCAT scores and a full undergrad career lol