2017-2018 Florida Atlantic University (Schmidt)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
7/6 Casper. Does everyone's status just say "secondary app completed"? No confirmation of letters, Casper scores etc.
ya

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted 8/15 but mine has said "We have completed a preliminary review of your secondary application. You will receive an email if you are selected for an in person interview. Thank you." for a couple weeks now. I took the 8/10 Casper btw. Really hoping to hear back fro this school, they're one of my top choices.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Did your portal ever change from 'secondary app complete' with the little blurb about taking the casper?

Hm. When I checked yesterday, it still had that I didn't take the CASPER (which I took on 8/10). Right now I can only see that the interview was scheduled. They also only offered two dates, less than 2 weeks away.

Reactions: 1 users
complete 8/22, took CASPer on 8/10, still waiting to get an update!

Hey Friends!

I'm a current third year at FAU and I am here to answer any questions I can to help out. I don't have any pull with admissions or anything of that sort, but if you have questions or concerns about FAU specifically I would love to address them! I have absolutely loved FAU, but I remember how hard the application and decision process is. If I can help at all, feel free to send me a private message or a question in the thread if it is germane to everyone.

Best of luck to everyone! The application process is stressful, frustrating, and frankly rather ridiculous. All I can say is it's all worth it in the end (or at least near it).

-B

Hey Friends!

I'm a current third year at FAU and I am here to answer any questions I can to help out. I don't have any pull with admissions or anything of that sort, but if you have questions or concerns about FAU specifically I would love to address them! I have absolutely loved FAU, but I remember how hard the application and decision process is. If I can help at all, feel free to send me a private message or a question in the thread if it is germane to everyone.

Best of luck to everyone! The application process is stressful, frustrating, and frankly rather ridiculous. All I can say is it's all worth it in the end (or at least near it).

-B
What would you say is the avg hours for clinical volunteering and shadowing? Thanks!

Hey Friends!

-B

Hello! What do you enjoy most as a student in FAU and any interview tips? Thanks for taking the time to do this

Can anyone speak to what the interview day is like? One of the interviews is described as "situtational", does this mean MMI?

What would you say is the avg hours for clinical volunteering and shadowing? Thanks!

If you mean average for accepted student or admissions, that I honestly don't know. Sorry.
If you mean how much do we do clinic in medical school, that I can answer.

During the first two years, you have one afternoon a week of clinical skills workshop, and one afternoon a week in a local clinic with a community preceptor.

Hello! What do you enjoy most as a student in FAU and any interview tips? Thanks for taking the time to do this

Without a doubt, my favorite facet of the program is its small, community feel. With only 64 students per class, you really get to know all of your classmates as friends, and the faculty know everyone by name within the first week. The core teaching faculty is also small but excellent, meaning if you want extra help or a research mentor, it is easy to find. We talk a lot about the CESCOM (Charles E Schmidt College of Medicine) family, and we really mean it. I have always loved small classes and having one-on-one opportunities, and I get that here in abundance. However, I know some people prefer to just be one in a crowd or disappear, and that would be very difficult here.

As far as the interview, FAU was hands down the chillest interview I had. The overall structure may have changed, but when I did it I had two interviews with admissions faculty, and both were very relaxed. One asked me what life path I took to medicine, and asked about some odd courses in my transcript. The other was more about my personality, and asked what things I feared or was worried about in becoming a doctor. Both interviewers had read my application thoroughly and referenced it several times. Neither had any gotcha or intense questions/mind-games. One thing I will say, is that with 64 students we really focus on admitting a group that will work well together, so interpersonal skills are key, though you certainly don't have to be an extrovert. If you can hold an interesting conversation, that is a major plus.

Can anyone speak to what the interview day is like? One of the interviews is described as "situtational", does this mean MMI?

I will check on this to be sure, but I do not believe we do MMI. When I interviewed, the situational interview was more about posing scenarios and asking for responses. Such as "What do you think you will dislike about being a doctor" or "What would you do if you got into medical school and discovered you didn't like seeing patients?" I will double check and post my answer to www.creedthoughts.gov.www\creedthoughts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Friends!

-B

How do you like life in PBC?

How do you like life in PBC?

It’s not too bad, better if you like the sun and the heat. I’m not a fan of either, but I stay inside mostly and I have no complaints. I feel like the cost of living is a bit high, but friends from big cities say it’s cheaper than some areas.
Overall, most people enjoy living here, and everything you need is close by.

Hey Friends!

-B

Hey and thanks for taking the time to answer our questions! We really appreciate it. :)

I don't know if you'll know the answer to this, but my fear is that since there are so little seats available for incoming students, the competition is much higher. However, not only are we competing with students nation-wide, but we also are competing against students who ALREADY have a seat saved for them (i.e. their "pipeline" programs--and they have two of them!).

My question to you is: how many students do you think were admitted solely because they had the advantage of being in the pipeline program/already had a seat reserved for them?

Any answer helps! I just want to get a feel for who I am going up against.

Hey and thanks for taking the time to answer our questions! We really appreciate it. :)

I don't know if you'll know the answer to this, but my fear is that since there are so little seats available for incoming students, the competition is much higher. However, not only are we competing with students nation-wide, but we also are competing against students who ALREADY have a seat saved for them (i.e. their "pipeline" programs--and they have two of them!).

My question to you is: how many students do you think were admitted solely because they had the advantage of being in the pipeline program/already had a seat reserved for them?

Any answer helps! I just want to get a feel for who I am going up against.
A large chunk. I have several friends from one of the pipeline programs. I believe the stats are that around 10 seats are lost to these students per year.

I believe FLDoctorGirl is correct that there are ~10 seats a year reserved for pipeline (though I wouldn't say those seats are "lost"). There are also a max of ~16 out-of-state seats.

That being said, medical school is always competitive no matter how many seats are reserved. I understand the feeling of it only getting more competitive. I am an out-of-state student, and so I was competing for only 16 spots total! Florida residents already have a leg up on us non-Floridian competitors.

Also remember that schools end up accepting 2-3x as many students as ultimately matriculate. The stats sound scary on pure numbers, but if you are a strong applicant with a passion for medicine, I am sure you'll find a good school.

I believe FLDoctorGirl is correct that there are ~10 seats a year reserved for pipeline (though I wouldn't say those seats are "lost"). There are also a max of ~16 out-of-state seats.

That being said, medical school is always competitive no matter how many seats are reserved. I understand the feeling of it only getting more competitive. I am an out-of-state student, and so I was competing for only 16 spots total! Florida residents already have a leg up on us non-Floridian competitors.

Also remember that schools end up accepting 2-3x as many students as ultimately matriculate. The stats sound scary on pure numbers, but if you are a strong applicant with a passion for medicine, I am sure you'll find a good school.
Didn't mean lost in a negative way, I could have used a better word!! Most of them are hardworking students who earned their spots. The pipeline programs are pretty competitive to get accepted to initially, and each year they make it harder and harder to actually end up matriculating into the med school.

7/26 Casper, Should I be concerned if my status still says "Secondary Application Complete"?

This is a top choice for me and I'm a re-applicant here. I haven't heard anything from them, complete late July and casper 8/10. Would a letter of intent to the dean do anything for me here?

II this morning! So excited to interview here!
LizzyM ~71!

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure if I'm too late and you already interviewed, but there are two 30-minute "behavioral" interviews, which just means they're completely blind and the interviewer just asks questions like..."tell me about a time when..." for a few different situations. Has to do with leadership, teamwork, etc. I loved it!

"We have completed a preliminary review of your secondary application. You will receive an email if you are selected for an in person interview. Thank you."
Anyone get an interview from this?

Not sure if I'm too late and you already interviewed, but there are two 30-minute "behavioral" interviews, which just means they're completely blind and the interviewer just asks questions like..."tell me about a time when..." for a few different situations. Has to do with leadership, teamwork, etc. I loved it!
Glad to hear you loved it! My interview is next week so it's perfect timing, thanks for the insight :)

"We have completed a preliminary review of your secondary application. You will receive an email if you are selected for an in person interview. Thank you."
Anyone get an interview from this?

Was this an email or an update on your portal?

II today! complete in September
Current Status: Preliminary Review Completed
We have completed a preliminary review of your secondary application. You will receive an email if you are selected for an in person interview. Thank you.

Did u ever get this update before that. I got it today. I guess I am not getting an interview

We have completed a preliminary review of your secondary application. You will receive an email if you are selected for an in person interview. Thank you.

Did u ever get this update before that. I got it today. I guess I am not getting an interview
Yeah I saw that status for the first time today, but not sure when I got it.

Last edited:
II today! complete in September
Congrats! I'm still patiently waiting for any news haha. Anyone know if this school sends out rejections during the cycle or until the very end?

where did you guys see this status? mine still is only telling me about CASPER....

Yeah I saw that status for the first time today, but not sure when I got it. Last time I had checked my portal was a week ago. They had dates as early as October 17 until mid November, so don't stress too much, there's plenty of time you could get a II
Thank you. Congratulations.

I hope you are alright. I am praying. You still have that status even after the interview invitation ?

I had this for over a week now... after reading last years thread some people had this status before an II. Just a waiting game I guess.

I had this for over a week now... after reading last years thread some people had this status before an II. Just a waiting game I guess.
let s pray we get that II soon. See you there my friend

Current M1 here. For everyone who's feeling anxious, I got my II in mid-December last year and was accepted in July about 2 weeks before orientation started. Don't panic if you haven't gotten an II yet, a lot can happen before the cycle ends.

Reactions: 5 users
Current M1 here. For everyone who's feeling anxious, I got my II in mid-December last year and was accepted in July about 2 weeks before orientation started. Don't panic if you haven't gotten an II yet, a lot can happen before the cycle ends.
I've always wondered about the implications of getting such a late acceptance. Did you have plans for the gap year that you just had to abandon? And how did you find housing on such short notice? Seems like a stressful 2 weeks lol

I've always wondered about the implications of getting such a late acceptance. Did you have plans for the gap year that you just had to abandon? And how did you find housing on such short notice? Seems like a stressful 2 weeks lol
My husband and I were living in TN at the time and he was being relocated to the PNW for his job. We were due to move at the end of July - had already been looking at houses in the new state, hired movers, bought plane tickets, all that. Then I got accepted at FAU and my husband resigned from his job without hesitation. I packed up our apartment in 4 days while doing all the assigned summer coursework. Finding a place to live on such short notice was also a nightmare, but we pulled it off. We finished unpacking the uhaul the night before orientation. So yeah... "stressful" is one way of putting it :)

Reactions: 5 users
Strangely, yesterday my status changed to 'Admissions Committee Review Complete" and stayed like that for a short time (about 30 + minutes). Then it reverted back to "Admissions Committee Scheduled" !! What's going on here, very confusing. Anyone else have this change at their end ?

Strangely, yesterday my status changed to 'Admissions Committee Review Complete" and stayed like that for a short time (about 30 + minutes). Then it reverted back to "Admissions Committee Scheduled" !! What's going on here, very confusing. Anyone else have this change at their end ?

Same!