2017-2018 Emory University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i didnt use all 500 lol mine was like 250-300 words
Excellent! That's about exactly where I ran out of things to talk about.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I apologize if this is a question with an obvious answer, but for listing your curriculum plan, did you all write sentences or actually do so in a list format?

I apologize if this is a question with an obvious answer, but for listing your curriculum plan, did you all write sentences or actually do so in a list format?
I wrote about my gap year but if I were taking classes I would just list them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I wrote about my gap year but if I were taking classes I would just list them.

Your username makes me want to go to a korean bbq right now...

Reactions: 1 users
Incoming M1 here, I just listed them in bullet point format.

Could any current Emory students tell me a little more about Visual Medical Education? Is it something that's actually a big deal/unique to Emory, and is it something students can also participate in making? If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's interactive medical illustrations for teaching purposes, from what I understand. The info on the website is a little brief and confusing. Thanks!

Hey all, couple questions.
1. For curriculum plan, I was planning on listing in sentence format. Is it appropriate to include the activities I will be continues in the year (eg. volunteering/work) even though it is not strictly the classes I am taking?
2. For the "Where will you be during interview season" I have tentative plans to be in Atlanta for thanksgiving, should I mention that here?
Thanks

Hey all, couple questions.
1. For curriculum plan, I was planning on listing in sentence format. Is it appropriate to include the activities I will be continues in the year (eg. volunteering/work) even though it is not strictly the classes I am taking?
2. For the "Where will you be during interview season" I have tentative plans to be in Atlanta for thanksgiving, should I mention that here?
Thanks

1. I listed my classes in bullet. Told them in sentence format the things I'm continuing like volunteering. Idk if there is a "correct" format.

2. I'd say list it. If you live 15 min away from Emory, it doesn't matter, but if you don't, it will be nice if they are considerate.

just added emory and submitted secondary, joining the sdn team here!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if it would be an advantage to write the essay about your interest in their MD/MA in Bioethics program? I'm not 100% interested in this program, but I am kind of interested. Thank you!

Does anyone know if it would be an advantage to write the essay about your interest in their MD/MA in Bioethics program? I'm not 100% interested in this program, but I am kind of interested. Thank you!

I think any essay where you write about a specific program that you are interested should be helpful, especially if you have anything in your background that you can incorporate into it. And you aren't signing up for it, so it's okay if you're not 100% invested at this point.

Prompts:

List your entire curriculum plan for the current academic year. If you are not currently in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year.

Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences.

Briefly describe your interest in Emory and the Emory degree program you have selected.

What do you consider to be the role of the physician in the community?

If you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application, please briefly describe below.

200 word limit on all @Lucca

Does anyone know if by "Physical Sciences" they mean physics? They have entries for Gen chem, Ochem, Bio, and Hum/Social Sciences but no physics.

Does anyone know if by "Physical Sciences" they mean physics? They have entries for Gen chem, Ochem, Bio, and Hum/Social Sciences but no physics.
I assumed that's what it was, and put my physics coursework there.

I only needed 9 humanities credits to graduate from my engineering program and I have a solid case for 11 credits. There goes my shot at Emory+pity+Anyone know how strict they are with this requirement? One of my letter writers included the boiler plate letter for my program, speaking to all of our requirements and how they fulfill compentencies needed to be successful in MD & DO schools.

Last edited:
I only needed 9 humanities credits to graduate from my engineering program, so there goes my shot at Emory+pity+

I had to nix UNC because my physics credits are too old. Apparently working as a professional engineer for 11 years means absolutely nothing...

I had to nix UNC because my physics credits are too old. Apparently working as a professional engineer for 11 years means absolutely nothing...

Thank goodness many schools now have competencies instead of prereq courses. You would blow the physical sciences competency out of the water

I only needed 9 humanities credits to graduate from my engineering program and I have a solid case for 11 credits. There goes my shot at Emory+pity+Anyone know how strict they are with this requirement? One of my letter writers included the boiler plate letter for my program, speaking to all of our requirements and how they fulfill compentencies needed to be successful in MD & DO schools.
Did you have to take any classes like history or economics? I think their definition of humanities is pretty broad.

Do you guys know if summer semesters at a community college are looked at differently than fall or spring?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do you guys know if summer semesters at a community college are looked at differently than fall or spring?
I can't imagine that they would be, but you could always give them a call tomorrow to be sure.

It's absolutely ridiculous. You'll do just fine elsewhere!

Did you have to take any classes like history or economics? I think their definition of humanities is pretty broad.

No, we didn't have any history or foreign language requirements. It was hard enough taking all of their requirements + additional sciences for the MCAT. I guess we'll just see what happens :) If it's meant to be, it will be!

No, we didn't have any history or foreign language requirements. It was hard enough taking all of their requirements + additional sciences for the MCAT. I guess we'll just see what happens :) If it's meant to be, it will be!

Our school was the same - I ended up in a special architecture and engineering program, and I took summer classes so I could add extra humanities in to fulfill my architecture requirements. Otherwise I'd be in the same position. However, I only took one writing requirement - thankfully I made it a literature class. I'm now taking an additional English class to make up for not having two English classes.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Our school was the same - I ended up in a special architecture and engineering program, and I took summer classes so I could add extra humanities in to fulfill my architecture requirements. Otherwise I'd be in the same position. However, I only took one writing requirement - thankfully I made it a literature class. I'm now taking an additional English class to make up for not having two English classes.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Good for you! I think this is one of the few schools that requires so many humanities credits, so I'll just take the L and not be too upset. My program luckily had English requirements, so I'm good there - but classifying some as Literature is a flat out lie.

How long after submitting will you be marked complete typically?

How long after submitting will you be marked complete typically?

My LOR and MCAT were already in the system so I actually received my "completed" email before the "secondary submitted" email, like 30 seconds after submitting.

I was also kinda considering the MD/ MA Bioethics. Did you end up choosing it? If so about how long was your essay? Thanks.

Regarding the role of the physician in the community question... I spend the majority of my word count discussing the role of the physician in the medical and scientific communities. I only briefly discuss their role in the local community. The secondary prompt does not specify the type of community, so I felt this was acceptable. Did I take too much liberty in interpreting the question?

Regarding the role of the physician in the community question... I spend the majority of my word count discussing the role of the physician in the medical and scientific communities. I only briefly discuss their role in the local community. The secondary prompt does not specify the type of community, so I felt this was acceptable. Did I take too much liberty in interpreting the question?

I interpreted the question as "what kind of role do you want to play as a doctor?"
In this sense, if you wanna focus more on individual relationships with patients, then it should be fine.
But its just my opinion

I kind of gave the general role that physicians play - so I listed the many different roles. It was definitely challenging.

I was also kinda considering the MD/ MA Bioethics. Did you end up choosing it? If so about how long was your essay? Thanks.
In the end, I decided not to choose that program because the thought of staying an extra year bummed me out. Before I decided not to apply for it, though, I wrote an essay that was about the length of a large paragraph. Since I have nothing in my background that applies to this degree, I had very little to talk about. But I think if you can see yourself in this program, it couldn't hurt to apply, and it would probably be a bonus. And the essay length probably doesn't matter as much as your reasoning. Good luck!

In the end, I decided not to choose that program because the thought of staying an extra year bummed me out. Before I decided not to apply for it, though, I wrote an essay that was about the length of a large paragraph. Since I have nothing in my background that applies to this degree, I had very little to talk about. But I think if you can see yourself in this program, it couldn't hurt to apply, and it would probably be a bonus. And the essay length probably doesn't matter as much as your reasoning. Good luck!

Thanks for the response! My essay for it is ~300 words, so I was just trying to figure out if this was pretty normal or if most people were getting closer to the 500 word limit.

This may be a dumb question but I got an email today from the multicultural services advising me to apply. I technically am URM but not underserved and I am not exactly in their range for apps. They're just looking for money right? Not actually interested in me?

This may be a dumb question but I got an email today from the multicultural services advising me to apply. I technically am URM but not underserved and I am not exactly in their range for apps. They're just looking for money right? Not actually interested in me?
That or they're trying to be active in getting more URM applicants. I got the same email.

That or they're trying to be active in getting more URM applicants. I got the same email.
well after doing some reading about the school, it looks awesome... really cool curriculum that really fits my interest.... may just have to do it as a reach! whats another 100+ at this point l o l

well after doing some reading about the school, it looks awesome... really cool curriculum that really fits my interest.... may just have to do it as a reach! whats another 100+ at this point l o l

I keep saying that, and now I'm at $4000. ;)

Reactions: 3 users
You're better than me, I am not even keeping track of how much I'm spending :yawn:... every pay day I just pay off another hundred on my credit card bill and hope I can still stay afloat! I think I'm done applying though........hopefully........

Woah! Primaries plus secondaries or just secondaries? :eek:

Anyway, I sent in my secondary to Emory anyway. I got in for undergrad and really wanted to go, but I chose another program. Here's hoping Emory shows me some love!

You're better than me, I am not even keeping track of how much I'm spending :yawn:... every pay day I just pay off another hundred on my credit card bill and hope I can still stay afloat! I think I'm done applying though........hopefully........

Honestly, I haven't really submitted my secondaries precisely because of cost! But I calculated that it should be approximately $4000 for 30 schools (this is VERY approximate). Each time I add one, it gets worse! I keep going back and forth between "Please ask me for an interview!!!!" And "Oh, dear goodness, I cannot possibly afford an interview..."

Woah! Primaries plus secondaries or just secondaries? :eek:

Anyway, I sent in my secondary to Emory anyway. I got in for undergrad and really wanted to go, but I chose another program. Here's hoping Emory shows me some love!

This is my *estimate* for Primaries + secondaries. I need to apply to about 30 since my GPA <<< MCAT. I figure 30 * $40 is 1200 for primaries. And about $100 for each secondary ($3000). It's a very rough calculation. But it's amazing how quickly it all ADDS UP. I'm trying to drag it out over a couple credit card bills so my tutoring money can cover them each month.

This is my *estimate* for Primaries + secondaries. I need to apply to about 30 since my GPA <<< MCAT. I figure 30 * $40 is 1200 for primaries. And about $100 for each secondary ($3000). It's a very rough calculation. But it's amazing how quickly it all ADDS UP. I'm trying to drag it out over a couple credit card bills so my tutoring money can cover them each month.
Just curious, what are your stats? My gpa is also < my mcat and I'm not applying to that many schools but maybe I should be