2017-2018 Emory University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

#1 Dream school in my home state. Let's see if they give some love. Emory has always been a school I wanted to call home since high school

Reactions: 1 users
Submitted today. Would love to get to go back to Atlanta for med school. Best of luck to everyone else applying!

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted today. Would love to get to go back to Atlanta for med school. Best of luck to everyone else applying!
I just read this and my heart skipped a beat. I was like shoooooot I am late on the secondary already! Then I made the connection: Primary. :whistle:

Reactions: 2 users
I just read this and my heart skipped a beat. I was like shoooooot I am late on the secondary already! Then I made the connection: Primary. :whistle:
Hahaha. I guess I could have made that more clear. But yeah, it was the primary no need to worry.

Literally my dream school since I was a pre-college scholar in high school, and couldn't attend for undergrad cause I got a heftier scholarship elsewhere, but Emory is home (literally 10 minutes away) and I've been praying since my senior year of HS to attend this school!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Secondary received at 10:18 AM EST! Does Emory screen? It sounds like it in their email.

Secondary received at 10:18 AM EST! Does Emory screen? It sounds like it in their email.

+1. I would also like to know if I'm special (if emory screens or not)

Based on their website, they typically screen for a minimum MCAT score (don't see mention of any other type of screen).

"For applicants submitting an MCAT taken prior to January 2015, Emory will prescreen for a minimum MCAT score of 27 with at least a 7 in each of the three subtests. Applicants with an MCAT total score of less than 27, or a subtest score of less than 7 on any of the three MCAT subtests will not receive an invitation to complete an Emory Supplemental Application. For applicants submitting an MCAT taken January 2015 or later, Emory will prescreen for a minimum MCAT score of 500 with at least a 123 in each of the four subtests. Applicants with an MCAT total score of less than 500, or a subtest score of less than 123 on any of the four MCAT subtests will not receive an invitation to complete an Emory Supplemental Application."
Application Requirements -- School of Medicine, Emory University

I was feeling a little unspecial, but I just recieved a secondary as well! Conclusion: I should get off SDN and focus on work :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
What did you guys put for the 'additional info' prompt? Feels kinda redundant with having the gap year plans prompt too, but too specific to talk about grades or diversity or whatnot

List your entire curriculum plan for the current academic year. If you are not currently in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year.

Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences.

Briefly describe your interest in Emory and the Emory degree program you have selected.

What do you consider to be the role of the physician in the community?

If you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application, please briefly describe below.

All 200 words.

For the Role of a Physician question, are you guys planning on writing about one single role or multiple roles?

For the course requirements, do we list all the possible ones that fulfill the requirement or just the minimum (ie two courses for the bio ones even though I have multiple that fit this)?

For what counts for the humanities/social science requirements I found this on a previous thread:

Anthropology
Art/Art Appreciation/Art History
Black Studies/African American Studies
Classical Studies
Economics
Foreign Languages
History
Journalism
Literature
Music/Music Appreciation
Philosophy
Political Science
Psychology
Religion
Sociology
Theater/Film Studies
Women’s Studies

Hope this helps!

probably multiple. doctors do more than just diagnose
Are you thinking about talking only about stuff society related (like a leader in the community) or hospital related stuff? What sort of roles were you thinking? Are you gonna relate it back to what you have seen in shadowing/other ECs?

So when it says only list the course number does that mean that I shouldn't put the title in?

So when it says only list the course number does that mean that I shouldn't put the title in?
I didn't put the title in. So yeah, that's what I understood.

The requirement for the photo says "professional attire". Does this mean I have to be in a suit?

The requirement for the photo says "professional attire". Does this mean I have to be in a suit?
I had to have someone take a photo with my DSL camera that matched what they wanted. I did mine in dress shirt and tie. Shoulders on up.

I had to have someone take a photo with my DSL camera that matched what they wanted. I did mine in dress shirt and tie. Shoulders on up.

I did the same here. Dress shirt and tie.

Also, just submitted the secondary! Good luck everyone.

"Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences"

Hey guys! In addressing this question, do you think it is appropriate to do bullet points to list things? I have had quite a variety of exposure and think that would be the easiest way to include everything.

got the mdphd secondary 3 days ago incase anyone is concerned

Is anyone putting more than 3 letters of recommendation? On the website it says it's not recommended but one of my science letters isn't the strongest so i'd prefer to use 2 research mentors and a science professor but i'm not sure if they'd frown upon that...

Is anyone putting more than 3 letters of recommendation? On the website it says it's not recommended but one of my science letters isn't the strongest so i'd prefer to use 2 research mentors and a science professor but i'm not sure if they'd frown upon that...

I called them a week or two ago and they said we could submit more than 3 but "to be considerate of the admissions committee who has to read all of them." FWIW, I submitted 5.

Could you post the prompt(s)?
1. Indicate up to two graduate training programs you are interested in.
2. What do you consider to be the role of the Physician Scientist in healthcare? (500 word count limit)

"Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences"

Hey guys! In addressing this question, do you think it is appropriate to do bullet points to list things? I have had quite a variety of exposure and think that would be the easiest way to include everything.

I'm trying to finish this today. 200 words seems like a paltry amount. Do I go into what I saw each time I shadowed? Or mainly talk about volunteering? I'm always confused about these questions since this info is easy to find in my primary.

Check like 3 comments up
Thanks! Do schools send different secondary prompts if you are applying to MD/PhD?Or is it that only Emory does it? Does anybody know?

Thanks! Do schools send different secondary prompts if you are applying to MD/PhD?Or is it that only Emory does it? Does anybody know?
Some have separate prompts for MD PHD. I know Saint louis also does but so can others

baylor asks like 2 extra questions for mstp if i remember correctly

I'm trying to finish this today. 200 words seems like a paltry amount. Do I go into what I saw each time I shadowed? Or mainly talk about volunteering? I'm always confused about these questions since this info is easy to find in my primary.
So far I gave a brief overview of everything. Had to cut out some stuff though. Idk how to do this well...

1. Indicate up to two graduate training programs you are interested in.
2. What do you consider to be the role of the Physician Scientist in healthcare? (500 word count limit)

Are these in addition to the regular MD prompts?

I misread the LOR section on the MSAR and submitted too many letters - do you think I should contact admissions?

Still waiting for this secondary, although I have the MCAT requirements..hmmmm

Is anyone else having difficulty writing 500 words on the role of physician-scientists in healthcare?

Last edited:
Is anyone else having difficulty writing 500 words on the role of physician-scientists in healthcare? Any tips greatly appreciated.
i didnt use all 500 lol mine was like 250-300 words

Do y'all think its okay to use the same verbiage in the "describe your health related experiences" that you use in the AMCAS? Not word for word exactly, but using some of the sentences present in the works/activities sections.

Do y'all think its okay to use the same verbiage in the "describe your health related experiences" that you use in the AMCAS? Not word for word exactly, but using some of the sentences present in the works/activities sections.

Bad idea to copy and paste, especially because some adcoms read the primary and secondary in the same sitting and that could show off laziness. I think it's fine to rehash some of the ideas about why the experience(s) was significant to you, but definitely change the wording.

Is anyone else having difficulty writing 500 words on the role of physician-scientists in healthcare? Any tips greatly appreciated.
I just panicked reading this because I definitely only wrote 200 words for my essay :eek: but then I realized this was for MSTP haha whew

If we have not received a secondary yet, I am assuming I might not be a top pick. Just wondering,
6/1 Primary,