2017-2018 Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Auburn Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-DO mods (AlteredScale, bacchus, or chizledfrmstone) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received on 6/21/17, pending my MCAT... Does VCOM send out secondaries to everyone? Also, does anyone know when they begin interviews?

Secondary received on 6/21/17, pending my MCAT... Does VCOM send out secondaries to everyone? Also, does anyone know when they begin interviews?

Also interested in this. Primary sent 6/22 but haven't received a secondary yet

Also interested in this. Primary sent 6/22 but haven't received a secondary yet
I also received mine on the 21, and submitted it today. It may just be a slight delay in when they send them.

Does anyone know when VCOM-A starts sending II?

Secondary submitted and my profile is complete! Just waiting on a review...

Reactions: 1 user
does your profile say your secondary is complete? I submitted back in June and it hasn't updated...

I messaged them saying my DO LOR was just submitted (secondary has been submitted for a while), and I received an email back saying my profile was completed and it was being moved forward in the application cycle. I figured that meant it would be reviewed soon. Hopefully at least

So I assume VCOM begins interviews after the early decision applicants, correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not exactly sure, but that does seem reasonable. By the way, that profile picture brings back memories!
Hopefully it doesnt take too long lol. Thank you! Not gonna lie, I just started playing (again) the other day. It is keeping my mind off of my pending MCAT score. Runescape was so good in the old days.

Hopefully it doesnt take too long lol. Thank you! Not gonna lie, I just started playing (again) the other day. It is keeping my mind off of my pending MCAT score. Runescape was so good in the old days.

Yeah man, Runescape is a good way to distract yourself! I miss the old '07 RS. I might have to start back as well! Definitely kept me entertained through middle school... Glad to see other people still appreciate the game!

Yeah man, Runescape is a good way to distract yourself! I miss the old '07 RS. I might have to start back as well! Definitely kept me entertained through middle school... Glad to see other people still appreciate the game!
Yes! I'm glad they still allow you to play old school, but you have to create a new account :mad: But hopefully it will continue to keep my mind off (lets hope lol).

Yes! I'm glad they still allow you to play old school, but you have to create a new account :mad: But hopefully it will continue to keep my mind off (lets hope lol).

Ahhh, might have to jump on that! But if you have any questions about the area, let me know! I live less than 30 minutes from the school

For those who received secondaries, when did you turn in primary apps? I turned in mine on 6/28 (verified on 6/30), but haven't received one yet..

For those who received secondaries, when did you turn in primary apps? I turned in mine on 6/28 (verified on 6/30), but haven't received one yet..

I turned my primary in on 6/20 and got the secondary on 6/21.

Same. I was complete 6/26. I'm starting to think they have a higher IS bias than they let on because I meet their minimum screens...

Same. I was complete 6/26. I'm starting to think they have a higher IS bias than they let on because I meet their minimum screens...
I may be in a similar situation as you. Where are you from? Cali res here. I applied to all 3 campuses and have received just the Pending Review email 06/23. Also, from what I'm piecing together from their site and looking at their SMP is that they like higher gpas (3.2 for applicants/3.5-3.6 avg for accepted), but lower mcats. No grade replacement puts me below the science cutoff, so seems to be a double whammy for me. Here's the SMP info:
IMG_0644.jpg

I may be in a similar situation as you. Where are you from? Cali res here. I applied to all 3 campuses and have received just the Pending Review email 06/23. Also, from what I'm piecing together from their site and looking at their SMP is that they like higher gpas (3.2 for applicants/3.5-3.6 avg for accepted), but lower mcats. No grade replacement puts me below the science cutoff, so seems to be a double whammy for me. Here's the SMP info:View attachment 221838

That's what I suspect too but I'm surprised they're not even sending secondaries to people that meet the minimum screens. Such BS considering they have people apply to 3 campuses.

Sorry feeling a little salty with this school

I may be in a similar situation as you. Where are you from? Cali res here. I applied to all 3 campuses and have received just the Pending Review email 06/23. Also, from what I'm piecing together from their site and looking at their SMP is that they like higher gpas (3.2 for applicants/3.5-3.6 avg for accepted), but lower mcats. No grade replacement puts me below the science cutoff, so seems to be a double whammy for me. Here's the SMP info:View attachment 221838

Is that information gathered about their SMP program? If so, I believe what they meant is if you get those GPAs in JUST their program (so a 3.x in whatever the program is) with those MCAT scores, then you get guaranteed acceptance. How I interpret that, it does not mean cGPA or sGPA from undergrad

Reactions: 3 users
They do lean toward matriculating "Appalachian" area applicants. I met with an admission member a few months ago. Apparently they want most of their students to finish med school and work in the Appalachian area. Hopefully you guys receive secondary's soon though!!!

Is that information gathered about their SMP program? If so, I believe what they meant is if you get those GPAs in JUST their program (so a 3.x in whatever the program is) with those MCAT scores, then you get guaranteed acceptance. How I interpret that, it does not mean cGPA or sGPA from undergrad
You're right :) The screenshot pertains to their SMP. However, the gpas I mentioned (for ideal cGPA/sGPA) are from their DO admissions page for regular applicants: Admission Requirements | VCOM - The Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine

They do lean toward matriculating "Appalachian" area applicants. I met with an admission member a few months ago. Apparently they want most of their students to finish med school and work in the Appalachian area. Hopefully you guys receive secondary's soon though!!!

Thanks! Agreed. I have ties to that area and want to move there so I would love to mention that if they would just give me the chance :rolleyes:

Thanks! This is an awesome opportunity for the local population and students alike. While a number of us OOSers do hope for interviews here, I sincerely hope that many of the applicants from the area who know the culture get to serve in their own backyard.

Thanks! Agreed. I have ties to that area and want to move there so I would love to mention that if they would just give me the chance :rolleyes:
Yes! I love the area and they seem like a great program. I will admit they are a little slow at times getting back with certain information. I applied as an ED applicant and haven't heard anything (other than my secondaries). So there is no telling what they are up to lol.
Thanks! This is an awesome opportunity for the local population and students alike. While a number of us OOSers do hope for interviews here, I sincerely hope that many of the applicants from the area who know the culture get to serve in their own backyard.
Definitely! In the words of the gentleman I spoke with "I want to see students serve their community. I don't want students moving here and going back to California to become a plastic surgeon. California has too many as it is." I couldn't help but laugh when he said that. But I hope they pick a lot of students from OOS as well, because it adds diversity to the class. I love Alabama, but a class full of southern accents can drive anyone mad. :laugh:

Yes! I love the area and they seem like a great program. I will admit they are a little slow at times getting back with certain information. I applied as an ED applicant and haven't heard anything (other than my secondaries). So there is no telling what they are up to lol.

Definitely! In the words of the gentleman I spoke with "I want to see students serve their community. I don't want students moving here and going back to California to become a plastic surgeon. California has too many as it is." I couldn't help but laugh when he said that. But I hope they pick a lot of students from OOS as well, because it adds diversity to the class. I love Alabama, but a class full of southern accents can drive anyone mad. :laugh:

Not all of us have thick accents ;) But I agree with them that the area can use more Osteopathic doctors in general. At the medical office I work at, it's pretty obvious that Alabama in particular is lacking in quality doctors. Not saying there aren't any, but we can definitely use more!

Hey everyone, I'm a first year here. We just had orientation last week, so the admissions team (and the rest of the faculty actually) was super busy with making sure everything went smoothly. That's probably the reason why they've been a little slow. We also have a new director of admissions who just came onboard last month. Don't fret if someone receives a secondary and you haven't. It is still very early in the game.. And VCOM tends to interview pretty late as well. Probably not what you want to hear, but just hang in there and try to have some patience. Now if it's been months and you still haven't heard anything, I'd definitely suggest following up. They're pretty good at responding to emails and answering calls.

In regards to in- state bias/ diversity in the class, we have students from everywhere (one I know is from Cali, another from Utah), but primarily Texas and Florida... both of which are not part of the Appalachia region, lol. Don't let that discourage you from applying. If you fit their mission and are truly interested in practicing in underserved areas and pursing a primary care specialty, then I'd say go for it. And if you do have interest in practicing in the Appalachia region, I would make sure to mention that in your interview and specify why.

Any other questions, feel free to PM me!!

Not all of us have thick accents ;) But I agree with them that the area can use more Osteopathic doctors in general. At the medical office I work at, it's pretty obvious that Alabama in particular is lacking in quality doctors. Not saying there aren't any, but we can definitely use more!
Haha my accent is somewhere in the middle of the spectrum. It's not terrible, but if I move up north it would be very obvious lol. Yes! I can't wait to see more DO's in this area, because there are only a few (that I know of) to shadow.

Finally submitted my secondary today. Did anyone else use the AACOMAS fee waiver? PCOM said it would take 15 days to process. I hope VCOM doesn't take as long.

Finally submitted my secondary today. Did anyone else use the AACOMAS fee waiver? PCOM said it would take 15 days to process. I hope VCOM doesn't take as long.

VCOM is very quick. Had mine processed in about 3 days. PCOM on the other hand..... -.-

Who do I contact to ask if my application is complete? I submitted my secondary first week of July and still no info.

Who do I contact to ask if my application is complete? I submitted my secondary first week of July and still no info.

They are not finished looking. I did a tour yesterday and they haven't started doing complete statuses yet.

Reactions: 1 users

You can email them to make sure they've received all of your materials. I did the same thing, and they responded quickly!

You can email them to make sure they've received all of your materials. I did the same thing, and they responded quickly!
I'll wait for a few more weeks before emailing them. Do you happen to have an email address for them though?

I'll wait for a few more weeks before emailing them. Do you happen to have an email address for them though?
didn't get a complete email but I emailed them and they said I was forwarded for review. still no status change in the portal though.

II just a few minutes ago!

Reactions: 2 users