2017-2018 Eastern Virginia Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you think its a waste to apply OOS with a 3.33 and a 515? I have an upward trend with 3.67 last 2 years, just poor first 2 years. I don't want to apply if I get rejected presecondary as that's a waste of money.
I received a phone call to apply and I was honest with them that I didn't believe I'd even make their screen (OOS 3.3 GPA, 505 MCAT) but I was told I was right on the border but my experience was noteworthy and in the end I received a secondary. This could be attributed to my URM status as well but may be worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you think its a waste to apply OOS with a 3.33 and a 515? I have an upward trend with 3.67 last 2 years, just poor first 2 years. I don't want to apply if I get rejected presecondary as that's a waste of money.
Hmm... Well because the adcom sends out secondaries after the prescreen, you'll only pay once you receive it. Not before.

I received a phone call to apply and I was honest with them that I didn't believe I'd even make their screen (OOS 3.3 GPA, 505 MCAT) but I was told I was right on the border but my experience was noteworthy and in the end I received a secondary. This could be attributed to my URM status as well but may be worth it?

Congrats!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary just came in

Hmm... Well because the adcom sends out secondaries after the prescreen, you'll only pay once you receive it. Not before.

Yea thats why I'm not sure, my strongest experience is in research- 1 first author pub, multiple national and international abstracts, published book chapter, 400hrs in 2 different labs, 2500 hours as lab manager at top 3 hospital/med school. My others ECs are bleh tho like 120hrs clinical volunteering 100hrs nonclinical with Special Olympics, food bank, etc.

I got a secondary OOS with a sGPA below 3.46, so that doesn't seem to be all encompassing. My MCAT was also a 514 though, so idk.

Just got a secondary with a very low sGPA. OOS.

Last edited:
anybody get " error processing payment" when they try to pay?

edit: internet issue lol

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does EVMS pre-screen for secondaries?

For 1-2 of them I definitely did 1/4-1/2 of the character limit haha.

Yes. :p
Good to know that prescreening is involved! I'm OOS and haven't received anything yet (verified early June) but am learning these things take time

Got an email that my app is on hold because I have some letter writers who didn't date their letters, and that I need to resubmit from AMCAS. Do I need to create new letter writer entries for the updated letters, so I have 2 for those authors?

Got the email my app was completed and forwarded for review on Friday... and then again just now. The exact same email haha #awkward

OOS secondary received today! No MCAT score yet so I don't think there is a definite minimum

Screened out, at least they didnt take more of my money, I respect that. Goodluck to everyone else!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I don't understand their method of screening people out. People with high stats are getting screened out too

Last edited:
SUBMITTED. Please hit me with an II soon EVMS <3

I don't understand there method of screening people out. People with high stats are getting screened out too
Maybe they're screening out applicants based on their compatibility with the school's mission/community-based medicine approach?

Reactions: 3 users
Screened out. UGPA 3.3, sUGPA 3.0, SMPGPA 3.85, MCAT 517

No SMP love I guess?

Wouldn't they want secondaries to see if you have a community-based medicine approach?

Unless you didn't have any non-clinical volunteering.

Wouldn't they want secondaries to see if you have a community-based medicine approach?

Unless you didn't have any non-clinical volunteering.
I literally thought about that in the middle of the night last night haha. Yeah I'm probably wrong, it would make more sense to have the secondaries first to screen applicants out based on the community mission.

Trimethylpurine, 160 hours nonclinical volunteering. I'd assume that would be enough for a secondary at least

Well my best guess is screening GPA somehow.

Or they just randomly select people and toss out their app. Can't have unlucky people attending their school

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone having trouble making their picture small enough to fit their requirements? Basically I don't know how to make mine any smaller to fit their pixel requirement.

Just got my first rejection presecondary.
Kinda sad, wanted to go here cuz my cousin graduated and loved it.
OOS, 3.38 and 3.16 sgpa. 518 mcat, 500 nonclinical volunteering hours(teaching), 400 clinical paid, 800 hours research, 200 shadowing. They recommended me to their MS program in the email, is that their way of saying why i got rejected or does everyone get that / marketing?

Just got my first rejection presecondary.
Kinda sad, wanted to go here cuz my cousin graduated and loved it.
OOS, 3.38 and 3.16 sgpa. 518 mcat, 500 nonclinical volunteering hours(teaching), 400 clinical paid, 800 hours research, 200 shadowing. They recommended me to their MS program in the email, is that their way of saying why i got rejected or does everyone get that / marketing?

That's definitely marketing. Expect a lot of similar offers towards the end of the cycle. Jefferson has sent me roughly 20 letters about their MPH program.

how are you guys answering the what you will like best about being a physician. i have an answer but having a difficult time elaborating on it. how long did the responses get?

how are you guys answering the what you will like best about being a physician. i have an answer but having a difficult time elaborating on it. how long did the responses get?

I pursued the classic "humanistic" side of medicine path. Connecting with people.
For 2 of the essays, I had almost 2000 chars. For this one.. I had about 1100. I had one thing I wanted to talk about, and I didn't beat it to death (or wasn't capable, haha).

Is anyone having trouble making their picture small enough to fit their requirements? Basically I don't know how to make mine any smaller to fit their pixel requirement.
I zoomed waaaaay out in Preview and took a screenshot of it on my Mac. It's a super tiny pic.

I zoomed waaaaay out in Preview and took a screenshot of it on my Mac. It's a super tiny pic.

If you have a Mac then open it in preview > tools > adjust size (or something similar to adjust size). It should be ~72 pixels/inch. It'll also let you adjust the dimensions by inches.

I pursued the classic "humanistic" side of medicine path. Connecting with people.
For 2 of the essays, I had almost 2000 chars. For this one.. I had about 1100. I had one thing I wanted to talk about, and I didn't beat it to death (or wasn't capable, haha).
yea thats how i was answering too. i think my brain was just fried and i couldnt formulate sentences so i just left it for tomorrow. thanks for your help!

3.19 cGPA/3.07sGPA 517MCAT OOS and was luckily not screened out. Very surprised and thankful, but I'm staying cautiously optimistic.

3.19 cGPA/3.07sGPA 517MCAT OOS and was luckily not screened out. Very surprised and thankful, but I'm staying cautiously optimistic.

Congrats on the secondary! I have no idea whats their criteria for sending them out though.

Are there answers that you should obviously avoid in the "What will you least like about being a physician" question? I feel like answering with "Paperwork" might be a mistake, because the job is full of it...

Okay I literally have3.38 and 3.18 and 518 and got prescreened out :mad:

Edit: But congrats and wish you the best of luck :)

Are there answers that you should obviously avoid in the "What will you least like about being a physician" question? I feel like answering with "Paperwork" might be a mistake, because the job is full of it...

I talked about it in my own secondary but made sure to also justify it and balance it out with other parts of being a physician. :) Tone is everything!

Last edited: