2017-2018 Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZZZ the foxbat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Here's the new thread for 17-18 Duke-NUS application. Feel free to post if you have any questions/comments!

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm reapplying this year. Will be retaking the Mcat in 2 weeks. How are your applications going?

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
hahah seems like everyone is not very active on the forum this year

hahah seems like everyone is not very active on the forum this year

Haha my thoughts rn. It's just 3 of us on here. Where are you from?

How are your applications going???! My mcat is in 2 weeks so I'm mostly trying to calm myself down these days

im from singapore! all the best for your mcat!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys, Do you guys know any stats for MCAT? From the website, it says average MCAT is 511 but there is no minimum score for each section.

Hi guys, Do you guys know any stats for MCAT? From the website, it says average MCAT is 511 but there is no minimum score for each section.

Nope, I don't think they release avg scores for each section but I think a minimum score of atleast a 125 in each section would work in our favour.

how's everyone's application coming along?

I just started on it. I am trying to decide whether I'm going to use the same recommendation letters and essays (quite hard to make it completely new). I might get one additional letter but I don't know how helpful that will be.

Are you a reapplicant as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone!

I'm applying this cycle- trying to make the Early Application deadline. I'm not a US citizen but I went to school here and am applying to med schools in the US as well. My school has a pre-health committee so for regular med school admission I had to get a committee letter (packet) that had 5 individual letters and a letter from my school. NUS requires 3 letters so now I'm conflicted.

Has anyone else faced this problem? Would it be a problem if I submit the one letter packet? (It has 6 letters, technically)?

Hey everyone!

I'm applying this cycle- trying to make the Early Application deadline. I'm not a US citizen but I went to school here and am applying to med schools in the US as well. My school has a pre-health committee so for regular med school admission I had to get a committee letter (packet) that had 5 individual letters and a letter from my school. NUS requires 3 letters so now I'm conflicted.

Has anyone else faced this problem? Would it be a problem if I submit the one letter packet? (It has 6 letters, technically)?

The minimum requirement is 3 letters. Although they suggest 3-5 letters, I think there's no harm sending more letters. That being said, I still recommend you to check directly with the Admissions Team. All the best for your application.

I just started on it. I am trying to decide whether I'm going to use the same recommendation letters and essays (quite hard to make it completely new). I might get one additional letter but I don't know how helpful that will be.

Are you a reapplicant as well?
Nope, I am a new applicant :) Best of luck to you

Hi everyone! Do you know if we can still access the applicant portal and check the status of our documents even after we've submitted the online application? Because my Prof can only send his rec letter after 1st Sept but within the 2 weeks grace period

Hi everyone! Do you know if we can still access the applicant portal and check the status of our documents even after we've submitted the online application? Because my Prof can only send his rec letter after 1st Sept but within the 2 weeks grace period
You are applying for the early acceptance too? I didn't know there's a grace period of 2 weeks for rec letter submission

You are applying for the early acceptance too? I didn't know there's a grace period of 2 weeks for rec letter submission
Apparently it does, when i called the sch to check. Btw, do you know if we can still access the applicant portal and check the status of our documents even after we've submitted the online application?

Apparently it does, when i called the sch to check. Btw, do you know if we can still access the applicant portal and check the status of our documents even after we've submitted the online application?
From what I know, the portal will still be open until 1st Dec so I believe we can still check the status of the documents there.

Anyone going for 18th Sept applicant day?
May I ask when you received the invitation to the applicant day? when did you submit your application? :) congrats on the invitation

May I ask when you received the invitation to the applicant day? when did you submit your application? :) congrats on the invitation
Thanks @tharthar . I submitted on 1st sept. Documents verified on 4th sept and got the invitation today.

Oh no... I submitted my application on 3rd sept and received verification on 4th sept. But I have yet to receive any information on sept interview...

Does that mean I'm rejected? Should I email and ask the admission?

Oh no... I submitted my application on 3rd sept and received verification on 4th sept. But I have yet to receive any information on sept interview...

Does that mean I'm rejected? Should I email and ask the admission?

Be patient. You probably missed out the early application period (1st sept is the deadline) so you might be scheduled for a interview at a later timing.

Be patient. You probably missed out the early application period (1st sept is the deadline) so you might be scheduled for a interview at a later timing.
But I got the verification at 4th sept too... oh no...

Do you mind telling me your stats?

But I got the verification at 4th sept too... oh no...

Do you mind telling me your stats?

PM-ed you. Anyway, I think Duke-NUS wanted to honour the deadline for early acceptance period, so they probably will assign you to subsequent applicant days. 18th sept is the first one btw.

Hopefully that's the case... I PM-ed you too!

All the best for applicant day :)

Hi all,
I'm an international student who applied for early admissions.
I'm flying in to Singapore to join the Sep 18th Applicant Day. A bit nervous but excited :)...

Hi all,
I'm an international student who applied for early admissions.
I'm flying in to Singapore to join the Sep 18th Applicant Day. A bit nervous but excited :)...
When did you receive your invitation? I received it a few minutes ago. Ya, I am international as well.

Last edited:
When did you receive your invitation? I received it a few minutes ago. I thought the invitation would be sent out two weeks prior to the date. It is hard for me to schedule everything because I am in the middle of my semester. Ya, I am international as well.

I received my invitation on Sep 7th. Application submitted on Sep 1st, acknowledged completion on Sep 4th.
Though I received my invitation on the 7th, I did have to scramble through my schedule and... book a flight right away.
Where will you be flying from? When do you plan to arrive in Singapore?

Hi all, good luck for your applications!

I am a current Y2 undergrad in NUS from Business hoping to apply in 2 years time. I am wondering how people from non-science backgrounds can get research experience since this seems like quite an important part of the application. Would it be harder to get in if you're not from some biomedical-related background?

I am also interested in MD-PhD. Will coming from business hurt my chances?

It would be great if someone could shed some light on this. Thanks.

I am a current Y2 undergrad in NUS from Business hoping to apply in 2 years time. I am wondering how people from non-science backgrounds can get research experience since this seems like quite an important part of the application. Would it be harder to get in if you're not from some biomedical-related background?

I think you can compensate it with stellar CCA and voluntary work. Research is just one of the many criteria that they look for in a potential candidate, and I believe that the admission committee look at your whole application in a holistic manner.

Dr Ho Shu Fang also came from business background (check out her interview video on youtube. forum doesn't allow me to post links because i don't have enough likes *facepalm*). Maybe you would like to contact her?

Can you take elective modules related to science? Try to take UROPS in NUS Faculty of Science.Work hard and ask UROPS supervisor to write an excellent letter for you.

There's been more suicides in Duke-NUS, giving you guys a heads up.

There's been more suicides in Duke-NUS, giving you guys a heads up.

Really? What happened? Is it because some students cannot cope with academic stress and huge financial burden at the same time? Some students may have borrowed a lot of money to study medicine.

Please do clarify. You may save many people here.

Really? What happened? Is it because some students cannot cope with academic stress and huge financial burden at the same time? Some students may have borrowed a lot of money to study medicine.

Please do clarify. You may save many people here.
It's worse than that.

Just want to find out, did anyone get accepted already? It's a such a long wait!

I think it is better if you apply for MD instead of MD-PhD.It is going to hurt your chances for MD-PhD, since it is quite research-focused. I think most applicants there, have done at least an honours research project. (PhD=supervisor will like to take a look at your previous research achievements before taking you in) However,this doesn't dampen your chances of applying MD since it isn't as research-intensive. If you are interested,I will recommend you to volunteer in a lab instead of doing UROPs in science.(UROPs is graded and more time-consuming) You can do this by sending an e-mail to the professor in the specific department to ask if there are any available positions for undergraduate researchers. In that way,you can choose as and when you want to do research,without worrying about whether your research is good or not. At the end of the day,you want to make it a good learning experience for yourself,without jeopardising your academic performance.

Apart from that,just take up leadership positions and have a regular volunteering CCA,I think that matters a lot to the MD application.

I applied for 2018 Duke NUS medical school but I doubt I will get it lol....i dont think my GAMSAT score which will be released next month is gonna be fantastic and my grades isnt exactly spectacular

Hi, everyone. I am applying to Duke Nus this year. My MCAT is 504. GPA is 3.64. Do you think I have a shot for this program? I am not a Singapore citizen or a US citizen.

Hi, everyone. I am applying to Duke Nus this year. My MCAT is 504. GPA is 3.64. Do you think I have a shot for this program? I am not a Singapore citizen or a US citizen.
u wont know until u applied, go for it...

Bottom line is, this school destroys students instead of helping them to achieve their full potential

Gosh, someone has the worse case of sour grapes around here

Bottom line is, this school destroys students instead of helping them to achieve their full potential

Weird.

Duke NUS staff( including research staff) seem to enjoy a high pay and also a stable job. They should have treated students well enough to maintain their jobs.

Unlike most medical schools,the school may have some uniquely rigid requirements because 2 years of basic science has been squeezed into 1year. Some students may not really like the research year either.Just my guess only.

Just want to find out, did anyone get accepted already? It's a such a long wait!
not yet.......i forgot about the slide they show the time taken regarding decision making process...but i think roughly 1 month. should be out sooooon, good luck!!!

Weird.

Duke NUS staff( including research staff) seem to enjoy a high pay and also a stable job. They should have treated students well enough to maintain their jobs.

Unlike most medical schools,the school may have some uniquely rigid requirements because 2 years of basic science has been squeezed into 1year. Some students may not really like the research year either.Just my guess only.
You are mistaken. Student well-being does not affect the salary or job stability of the staff. The staff remain in their positions regardless of what happens to the students.