2017-2018 Des Moines University (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Complete 08/29, placed on hold for now... hopefully they come back with an II.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Complete 08/29, placed on hold for now... hopefully they come back with an II.

You were complete and then placed on hold two days later? That quickly? I don't understand this process at all...

Reactions: 1 users
Perhaps those placed on hold so soon was due to DMU thinking they wouldn't be able to complete the review within 60 days?

Complete here 7/11 and no word yet.

No hold placement and pin-drop silence thus far... Complete 7/7

Ive been complete since 7/1 and have heard nothing.. are you IS?
You were complete and then placed on hold two days later? That quickly? I don't understand this process at all...

I think Goro has mentioned this a few times but applications are not necessarily reviewed in the order they are received, plus if you are competitive and have something like 3.7+ 507+ stats, you're probably more likely to get offered an interview right away which is what looks like is happening. They are likely using filters to pull these people out first.

I've been complete since 7/6 and haven't heard. I will probably send an email at like day 70 asking about it if they don't get back to me.

I think Goro has mentioned this a few times but applications are not necessarily reviewed in the order they are received, plus if you are competitive and have something like 3.7+ 507+ stats, you're probably more likely to get offered an interview right away which is what looks like is happening. They are likely using filters to pull these people out first.

I've been complete since 7/6 and haven't heard. I will probably send an email at like day 70 asking about it if they don't get back to me.

MCAT 507, cGPA 3.8, sGPA 3.9 and a lot of extracurriculars.... been complete since 7/16 and I still haven't heard anything

MCAT 507, cGPA 3.8, sGPA 3.9 and a lot of extracurriculars.... been complete since 7/16 and I still haven't heard anything

Nothing is guaranteed, obviously.

Members don't see this ad :)
Remember that although you may have a phenomenal MCAT and/or GPA, you're literally just one applicant in a sea of thousands. I think sometimes people try to apply too much logic to the process. It's not that logical of a process in reality. If you're a good candidate and schools believe you have potential as a great med student and physician, you'll probably get an interview, and maybe fairly quickly. Maybe you'll end up going months before you get an II. Or maybe you won't get one at all. That's just how it goes.

I was a borderline applicant, most likely. My GPA was a couple points below average for matriculants and MCAT was between 505-510. But my experiences and the rest of my app probably got me to the interview. And there were probably dozens of applicants with a better GPA/MCAT. Don't minimize yourself to just your numbers (I know it's easy to do, I did it myself). Try to stay patient and by all means, NEVER feel entitled to an interview (much less an expeditious one) just because you think you're an amazing applicant. We're humans, so we think we're awesome (generally). But you're not the best applicant in the batch no matter what your numbers are, because that's a nearly impossible thing to measure given a group of n=8,000+.

Reactions: 2 users
Ive been complete since 7/1 and have heard nothing.. are you IS?
Perhaps those placed on hold so soon was due to DMU thinking they wouldn't be able to complete the review within 60 days?

Complete here 7/11 and no word yet.

As stressful as this process is, it's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one in this situation :bag:

any tips for those of us having interviews coming up?

Just be relaxed and don't freak yourself out. If they gave you an II they want you there they just want to get to know you better. It's super laid back. They asked about a few things off my resume then we just got to talking about random things. They'll ask the Why DO? And Why DMU? Ones so just have an answer for those

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Great interview day :) Prepare to be amazed by the facilities. I had a couple questions that was on SDN school specific page. I psyched myself out and have a feeling that I rambled a lot on my ans compared to my other interview. My interview went from 1:10 to 1:55 so it was certainly longer than 30mins. Don't be alarmed if it is.
Also have some questions prepared. You basically have an hour with DMU's dean and he runs the session by asking you questions. Enjoy & good luck!

Today marks day #60 since being complete; still no word! I was thinking of sending them an email tomorrow, or should I wait a bit longer?

Today marks day #60 since being complete; still no word! I was thinking of sending them an email tomorrow, or should I wait a bit longer?
Send an email. They responded to mine almost immediately.

For those with an interview, is there anything about your interview on your portal?

Had to turn down my interview... so I hope one of you lovely people gets it!

Without going into specifics, cost/travel/school/other options.

It's been almost a month since I submitted my secondary and other items, but DMU still hasn't marked my 'Initial Review' as complete. It says to wait two weeks for this to be done. Has this happened to anyone else?

It's been almost a month since I submitted my secondary and other items, but DMU still hasn't marked my 'Initial Review' as complete. It says to wait two weeks for this to be done. Has this happened to anyone else?

Yes. You should call/email them and they will fix it.

Has anyone from the first few interview days heard anything yet? I know they told us 3-4 weeks but I interviewed the 18th and I'm starting to get antsy!

Has anyone from the first few interview days heard anything yet? I know they told us 3-4 weeks but I interviewed the 18th and I'm starting to get antsy!
I also interviewed on the 18th and haven't heard back yet. I am hoping that sometime before next Friday we will know (since it will be 4 weeks by then)! :)

On pre interview hold as of today

Placed on pre-II hold today. Anyone know how often those on hold end up receiving a II?

I second this question! Wondering if there is still any hope for this school!

There is. I know a couple people that got in after being in that situation. It's no guarantee you'll get one but it's so early on in the process it's possible

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Also in town tonight, looking to find a place to watch the football. Any locals know of any good spots around the U?

Everything is complete in my portal, the only thing that is marked as "not received" is "DMU Initial Review of Application Items*". Does any one know what does it mean? is my file under review?

Also in town tonight, looking to find a place to watch the football. Any locals know of any good spots around the U?

I was there a week ago, and there are definitely a few cool sports bars in the downtown area! Ask the front desk at the hotel about the Court Street area, there are a bunch of places to choose from (I got a sandwich and beer at Johnny's Sports Bar, they said they get busy during NFL season because they have like 30 tvs). Good luck on your interivew!

Everything is complete in my portal, the only thing that is marked as "not received" is "DMU Initial Review of Application Items*". Does any one know what does it mean? is my file under review?
Sometimes they're slow with updating the portal. You can call them to check if you'd like.

If you want a good chance of running into current students, Wellman's seems to be the main DMU bar. There are a few places up and down Ingersoll in the 25th-37th blocks. If you see anyone from DMU there it'll probably be second years. First years have two exams next week so they probably won't (shouldn't) be at the bars today.

Interview invite just now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users