2017-2018 Des Moines University (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey peeps, good luck with your upcoming interviews! I thought I would pass along some general words of wisdom that a previous DMU student-interviewer passed along to me last year.

When talking about why osteopathic medicine try to NOT use osteopathic buzzwords like “holistic” or “whole person” –your interviewer has heard that talk 1000s of times and will probably start to zone out. It’s not a huge deal if you use them here or there, but if it’s part of your main talking points then you won’t be helping yourself at all. Take your answer to the next level by going deeper than that.

When talking about why DMU, bringing up why you would fit in to the larger community is just as important as any of your academic/program-specific reasons. Research Des Moines, see if it’s a place you can see yourself living and why. For out-of-staters (aka most us), my suggestion would be to find aspects that remind you of home or would help you get through/adjust to med school (i.e. stress relievers).

Lastly, don’t bash or make broad generalizations about allopathic medicine. There’s a chance that one of your interviewers is an MD and honestly, most of us are grossly misinformed on this topic. Subsequently, research the differences so you can properly answer why you would choose DO over MD even if you probably wouldn’t.

All in all, DMU’s interview is pretty chill so don’t stress about it. My interview consisted of my interviewer and I shooting the **** about non-medical school related things for half the time then being asked the “standard” interview questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey peeps, good luck with your upcoming interviews! I thought I would pass along some general words of wisdom that a previous DMU student-interviewer passed along to me last year.

When talking about why osteopathic medicine try to NOT use osteopathic buzzwords like “holistic” or “whole person” –your interviewer has heard that talk 1000s of times and will probably start to zone out. It’s not a huge deal if you use them here or there, but if it’s part of your main talking points then you won’t be helping yourself at all. Take your answer to the next level by going deeper than that.

When talking about why DMU, bringing up why you would fit in to the larger community is just as important as any of your academic/program-specific reasons. Research Des Moines, see if it’s a place you can see yourself living and why. For out-of-staters (aka most us), my suggestion would be to find aspects that remind you of home or would help you get through/adjust to med school (i.e. stress relievers).

Lastly, don’t bash or make broad generalizations about allopathic medicine. There’s a chance that one of your interviewers is an MD and honestly, most of us are grossly misinformed on this topic. Subsequently, research the differences so you can properly answer why you would choose DO over MD even if you probably wouldn’t.

All in all, DMU’s interview is pretty chill so don’t stress about it. My interview consisted of my interviewer and I shooting the **** about non-medical school related things for half the time then being asked the “standard” interview questions.

My struggle with this... and I mean no disrespect to any DO students/physicians as I am applying this route.. but is there really any true, discernible difference between a practicing MD and DO? I work with about ~150 different physicians, mostly MD's but about 20 or so DO's as well. I see absolutely no difference in the care they provide to their patients. A few of them use OMM sparingly, but other than that.. no degree appears to have any more of a propensity towards being more "holistic" in their care of a patient. Some doctors actually care, others are in it to get a patient in and out as quickly as possible. I have not found either degree is more likely to fall into one of those categories more or less than the other.

I feel like these DO schools want to perpetuate some kind of myth that they are different, but in my eyes, that just drives a greater divide and strife between the two schools. I feel like it's going to be hard to BS this on an interview because I don't truly believe there is any real tangible difference, except getting a degree that is lesser known, often has worse rotations, less access to residencies, etc.

Ultimately, I just want to become a doctor, and the DO route is a fine route, but I hate this game of pretending that it's something special and desirable above an MD education. They are, at best, equal.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My struggle with this... and I mean no disrespect to any DO students/physicians as I am applying this route.. but is there really any true, discernible difference between a practicing MD and DO? I work with about ~150 different physicians, mostly MD's but about 20 or so DO's as well. I see absolutely no difference in the care they provide to their patients. A few of them use OMM sparingly, but other than that.. no degree appears to have any more of a propensity towards being more "holistic" in their care of a patient. Some doctors actually care, others are in it to get a patient in and out as quickly as possible. I have not found either degree is more likely to fall into one of those categories more or less than the other.

I feel like these DO schools want to perpetuate some kind of myth that they are different, but in my eyes, that just drives a greater divide and strife between the two schools. I feel like it's going to be hard to BS this on an interview because I don't truly believe there is any real tangible difference, except getting a degree that is lesser known, often has worse rotations, less access to residencies, etc.

Ultimately, I just want to become a doctor, and the DO route is a fine route, but I hate this game of pretending that it's something special and desirable above an MD education. They are, at best, equal.

No they are not different. And yes, you have to play this game during the application and interview process where you have to treat them like they're different and that you want to be a DO more than you do MD even though, like most people, you just want to be a physician.

Sometimes you have to do things in life you don't want to do. This is one of those times.

Reactions: 1 user
Aw, bummer. Email or portal? What did they say exactly?
email, "This simply means that while you are not invited to interview with us at this time, you are still under consideration for a possible interview later in the application cycle."

^That's the gist of it

email, "This simply means that while you are not invited to interview with us at this time, you are still under consideration for a possible interview later in the application cycle."

^That's the gist of it

Gotcha

You have 5 II's already so you're in good shape! No sweat

^That's the gist of it

When were you complete?

That definitely plays into the whole don't bash MD and avoid hinging your "Why Osteopathic Medicine?" question on buzzwords. The holistic approach is in no way DO specific but it is certainly emphasized more in the DO curriculum. Another random factoid, MDs can be trained in OMM so even that isn't DO exclusive. IMO you don't have to be over the top about loving DO or OMM for you to do well on that question. Everyone knows that the majority of the time, patients will not be able to differentiate a DO from an MD in how they provide care. As long as you're able to adequately support your response and at least convey interest in the field of osteopathic medicine, you'll be golden. If it comes across that you're "settling" on DO and have a strong preference for MD, that would probably be looked negatively on you. At the end of the day, these are all just my opinions so take it with a grain of salt, but it's a pretty standard interview question so you should prepare some solid talking points.

Same. Anyone knows if it's a polite end or if there is still a chance? My earlier post got drowned out by someone questioning MD va DO

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

There's still a chance it's super early in the process don't sweat it

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone interviewing on Monday? I'm doing some final prep to get ready and thought I would see if anyone wanted to meet for coffee before going in.

That definitely plays into the whole don't bash MD and avoid hinging your "Why Osteopathic Medicine?" question on buzzwords. The holistic approach is in no way DO specific but it is certainly emphasized more in the DO curriculum. Another random factoid, MDs can be trained in OMM so even that isn't DO exclusive. IMO you don't have to be over the top about loving DO or OMM for you to do well on that question. Everyone knows that the majority of the time, patients will not be able to differentiate a DO from an MD in how they provide care. As long as you're able to adequately support your response and at least convey interest in the field of osteopathic medicine, you'll be golden. If it comes across that you're "settling" on DO and have a strong preference for MD, that would probably be looked negatively on you. At the end of the day, these are all just my opinions so take it with a grain of salt, but it's a pretty standard interview question so you should prepare some solid talking points.

Good points here...we do have at least a few MD faculty, so it's very possible interviewees will encounter someone that would not take kindly to the DO > MD in caring, holisticness, etc view. Also, our OMM chair told us day 1 of lecture that DO's are NOT more holistic, etc.

Don't be afraid to ask your ambassador about your interviewers, either. It may not do THAT much to know about them practically speaking, but it'll probably put your mind at ease a little bit. They're humans too.

Lastly, your interviewers are smart. There will be PhDs, DOs, MDs, and students interviewing you. Or a combination of those, rather. They can tell by looking at your transcript/MCAT why you're looking at DO. So hit the big points but don't be over the top about your enthusiasm for OMM, etc.

But @Asiago hit it pretty much on the head.

Anyone know how long it takes for them to get back to you after ew?intervi

Anyone know how long it takes for them to get back to you after ew?intervi

They said about 3 weeks TOPS, but one of the student ambassadors said he heard back within a week.

When I got their email that said to finish creating my account, it said "Please allow 60 days for your application to be reviewed". Does that mean a decision should be made within that time frame or am I mistaken? I received the email June 26th but it's been dead silence since.

When I got their email that said to finish creating my account, it said "Please allow 60 days for your application to be reviewed". Does that mean a decision should be made within that time frame or am I mistaken? I received the email June 26th but it's been dead silence since.

Hmm I was complete 08/01 and got my II 08/04. I think you should just send an email and mention that those 60 days have passed, and you're wondering what your application status is.

Hmm I was complete 08/01 and got my II 08/04. I think you should just send an email and mention that those 60 days have passed, and you're wondering what your application status is.

Thank you. I may do that. My portal status just says "completed" and I am not sure if they do silent rejections or not.

Thank you. I may do that. My portal status just says "completed" and I am not sure if they do silent rejections or not.

I didn't hear anything till 65 days last cycle.They get backed up at times don't worry. Give them a call and politely ask your status given that the 60 days has passed. If they don't know right then they'll look. I sent an email at Day 62 and heard on day 65. This was last cycle though so it may be different. From what I've heard they usually let you know one way or another not silently

2 questions for anyone that has interviewed. 1. Are they pass/fail or 4.0 GPA? 2. Do they allow for a late review like LECOM (for example, october vs. november)?

2 questions for anyone that has interviewed. 1. Are they pass/fail or 4.0 GPA? 2. Do they allow for a late review like LECOM (for example, october vs. november)?
I'm a first year. We have a couple pass/fail classes along with conventionally graded. I'm honestly not 100% sure what late review means but we had a good amount people in our class come off the waitlist at differing times, many around that time. It does vary from year to year I've heard though

I'm a first year. We have a couple pass/fail classes along with conventionally graded. I'm honestly not 100% sure what late review means but we had a good amount people in our class come off the waitlist at differing times, many around that time. It does vary from year to year I've heard though
Thank you! The late review was just an option that LECOM offered where it said would you like to receive an acceptance in oct or nov? It was put in place for the people that had multiple interviews so they can find the best fit school for them. I believe it is a 1000$ to hold a spot at DMU and that would hurt financially since I still have several interviews later this fall.

Thank you! The late review was just an option that LECOM offered where it said would you like to receive an acceptance in oct or nov? It was put in place for the people that had multiple interviews so they can find the best fit school for them. I believe it is a 1000$ to hold a spot at DMU and that would hurt financially since I still have several interviews later this fall.
It is $1000 but for my class they allowed a 500 deposit first then the second 500 was due by May 1st. So at least it doesn't hurt AS bad if you don't end up here.

Is DMU always pretty slow to start rolling out IIs and rejections? They were my first complete school by far and I haven't heard a word from them.

Is DMU always pretty slow to start rolling out IIs and rejections? They were my first complete school by far and I haven't heard a word from them.
DMU says it will take up to 60 days to review the application before they make a decision. When were you complete?

II just now. Complete 7/24. 3.85/516. All the dates offered to me were really early... messed up my planning for school a bit, but oh well.

Just received a II! I have to try to move around my work schedule they only gave a small amount of notice

I didn't hear anything till 65 days last cycle.They get backed up at times don't worry. Give them a call and politely ask your status given that the 60 days has passed. If they don't know right then they'll look. I sent an email at Day 62 and heard on day 65. This was last cycle though so it may be different. From what I've heard they usually let you know one way or another not silently

Thank you! Since my 60th day (8/26) was technically a Saturday, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and wait the week out. If I don't hear anything by Monday though, I'll definitely consider reaching out to admissions via email.

Thank you! Since my 60th day (8/26) was technically a Saturday, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and wait the week out. If I don't hear anything by Monday though, I'll definitely consider reaching out to admissions via email.

The folks in admissions are very good. They'll share whatever info they have with you, and they're always friendly. But it is a fairly small office and they get extremely busy. I wouldn't worry much about not hearing back, DMU is pretty good about not silently rejecting. It's also very early in the cycle. Not only are they screening/interviewing DO candidates, but I've seen quite a few PA candidate groups bopping around campus as well. I'm not sure when master's (MHA/MPH/MSA) students apply, but DMU also has a DPM program. So the office just gets pretty dang hectic. Hang in there!

Curious, how many years is my portal supposed to be like this? Because it's been way more than 2 weeks
Submit Supplemental Items 4/5 required items received
DMU Initial Review of Application Items*
DMU will be verifying receipt of all requirements. Please allow up to two weeks for a review. When the initial review is marked as received, this list will reflect any additional requirements.
Not Received

Curious, how many years is my portal supposed to be like this? Because it's been way more than 2 weeks
Submit Supplemental Items 4/5 required items received
DMU Initial Review of Application Items*
DMU will be verifying receipt of all requirements. Please allow up to two weeks for a review. When the initial review is marked as received, this list will reflect any additional requirements.
Not Received

What supplemental item are you missing?

probably just missing the "initial review." mine took forever to update, but it did. and then they doubled all my application items so now it says 19/19. :shrug:

probably just missing the "initial review." mine took forever to update, but it did. and then they doubled all my application items so now it says 19/19. :shrug:

Yeah I had some funky stuff happen in the portal too.

no clue. It lists 5 items are due, and it lists the DMU initial review as one of those supplemental items....so I have no clue. I'll probably shoot them an e-mail.
I just sent them an email to see what I was missing, and then they just email me back saying that I was now complete, so maybe just a glitch, but they were super quick and super nice in the response so no harm no foul :)

Question: Do we know how long it usually takes from interview to accept/reject?

The folks in admissions are very good. They'll share whatever info they have with you, and they're always friendly. But it is a fairly small office and they get extremely busy. I wouldn't worry much about not hearing back, DMU is pretty good about not silently rejecting. It's also very early in the cycle. Not only are they screening/interviewing DO candidates, but I've seen quite a few PA candidate groups bopping around campus as well. I'm not sure when master's (MHA/MPH/MSA) students apply, but DMU also has a DPM program. So the office just gets pretty dang hectic. Hang in there!

Thank you for the kind words! I had not thought about that. I shadowed an alum of DMUCOM so hopefully that has some weight as well.

Do any nearby hotels have shuttles that will take you directly to the school?

Do any nearby hotels have shuttles that will take you directly to the school?

I stayed at the Marriott on Grand Ave and the uber to the campus was around $6. Uber is much cheaper in Des Moines than other places I've been.

In Des Moines now - ready for tomorrow :D