2017-2018 Des Moines University (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected lol. Not sure what this school looks for...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.4 sGPA/cGPA, 503 mcat, and like 3000+ clinical hours as a scribe/nurse.

Reactions: 1 user
Nice job on the II, I completed my file on July 4th and it still hasn't even gone under review yet.

I've got similar stats (502, 3.5c, 3.9s). Going to interview Aug. 28th, when are you heading to DMU for interview?

I honestly have no idea just yet...I want to wait a little bit before I start booking tickets everywhere, you know? My wallet is broke as is.

I received an application complete email on July 11th. I haven't heard anything back from them since then. Just in case anyone is interested, I actually marked the Primary essays to come back to later and ended up submitted my application with nothing filled in. I emailed admissions and then told me to submit what I would have written for the essays and they would attach it to my file. I'm hopeful though......at this point I'm hoping that no news is good news.

Members don't see this ad :)
How are rotation sites?

Hit or miss. The vast majority of them are middle of the road and they will train you just fine. I wouldn't say any of them are spectacular or would give you any advantage over the others. They fluctuate each year and DMU has been losing a lot of the year long spots in Ohio because of the new school opening up there. That was the biggest change I noticed over the past couple years. And this last year they had the highest number of students assigned to the non year long track in quite a few years. Something in the 80-90 students range. I have the "match" list somewhere on my computer but I'd have to go dig to get that specific info.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Interested to hear about rotations as well! I did some digging on the website, but it wasn't super detailed.

They limit the info because the number and location of rotation sites changes a decent amount from year to year. So a student can't come in and throw a hissy fit about "the website said this rotation site was available" or however that interaction would go.

Alright...heading towards the interview on August 25th :) If anyone else is interviewing, lets say hi!

I was invited to create an account today.. I'm assuming that means nothing. Is there anything to this other than creating a password and logging in? I can't seem to find any actions that I have to take. It says I've completed 6/7 supplemental items, but the one remaining one is waiting for them to review everything. Do I need to upload anything, answer any questions, etc? I'm paranoid I'm missing something.

For some reason my "DO Letter of Recommendation 3" is marked as incomplete, but on another line my DO LOR is marked as received. Does anyone here have similar issues?

For some reason my "DO Letter of Recommendation 3" is marked as incomplete, but on another line my DO LOR is marked as received. Does anyone here have similar issues?
I don't think "DO letter of rec" refers to a letter from a DO, but rather one of the three letters required for admission to the DO program.

I don't think "DO letter of rec" refers to a letter from a DO, but rather one of the three letters required for admission to the DO program.

Oh, I think you're right. The "3" probably refers to the 3 required LORs? However, my portal shows that they have already received LORs from my DO, 2 science prof, and 1 non-science prof. I wonder why I'm still not complete?

Oh, I think you're right. The "3" probably refers to the 3 required LORs? However, my portal shows that they have already received LORs from my DO, 2 science prof, and 1 non-science prof. I wonder why I'm still not complete?
I'm not sure, I'm still waiting on my committee letter to be sent so I can't compare to what my portal says.

I think you should maybe contact them on Monday...it seems like you should be complete-- they only require 1 physician letter and 2 academic letters.

Just a heads up for everyone, make sure you're checking your spam folders in your e-mail. My interview invitation went there last year and i didn't see it until they sent me another e-mail a month later reminding me about it.

Reactions: 2 users
My application status on the portal just says submitted. Does anyone else's say complete instead?

When did you guys have your application completed after submitting LORs to AACOMAS? I submitted mine about a week and a half ago and on my portal it still says they haven't been received.

II invite just now, awesome! I was complete 07/11, OOS LizzyM 69-71

Reactions: 1 users
II

Last edited:
II!!!! Complete 7/3. Re-applicant. GPA 3.5. MCAT 504. My DO letter came from an alumna of this school.
SO EXCITED!!!!!

Question for anyone who is interviewing: are you planning on flying out of Des Moines the evening of interview day? The latest flight I found leaves Des Moines at 6:30pm interview day and I'm scared that's cutting it too close.

Question for anyone who is interviewing: are you planning on flying out of Des Moines the evening of interview day? The latest flight I found leaves Des Moines at 6:30pm interview day and I'm scared that's cutting it too close.

I'm driving with my dad (5 hour road trip)..but..

"Your 30-minute interview will be conducted by a panel of two or three people, which may include faculty, clinicians, and current DMU students. Generally, interviews end by 3:30 p.m., but if you need an interview early in the afternoon due to travel plans, we can accommodate your request with at least one week’s notice."

Maybe you can request to be placed on the earlier 30-min slot of 1:15-3:30pm. That way, you can ensure to be done with interviews at 2pm, and catch the 6:30?

I'm driving with my dad (5 hour road trip)..but..

"Your 30-minute interview will be conducted by a panel of two or three people, which may include faculty, clinicians, and current DMU students. Generally, interviews end by 3:30 p.m., but if you need an interview early in the afternoon due to travel plans, we can accommodate your request with at least one week’s notice."

Maybe you can request to be placed on the earlier 30-min slot of 1:15-3:30pm. That way, you can ensure to be done with interviews at 2pm, and catch the 6:30?

The airport is a quick drive from campus and their is little to no traffic with hardly any line at the airport. You'll be fine no matter what.