2017-2018 Creighton University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II today! OOS complete 8/10

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to everyone on the new IIs, and best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear back! It can take awhile sometime, and we're still very early in the cycle so don't lose heart! Iirc I was complete in July and I didn't get a II until November and everything worked out in the end!

I just wanted to make another quick plug for the "M0 Dinner". They didn't publicize it well when I came for my interview here, but after your tour in the afternoon there will be an opportunity to meet with current students over dinner at a local restaurant (the location rotates every week). It's a wonderful chance to get to know more about the school and Omaha in an informal setting. We're excited to see you and hope we can help you figure out if Creighton will be the right place for you!

Also, if anyone has any questions about the interview/application process at Creighton, I can do my best to answer them! We're only two weeks into the curriculum so far, so I can give some initial impressions but I can't quite go in-depth about that yet haha. Again, best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
First II! So excited!

What they say about updates is true! I was complete on 7/11 and got the interview email today...2 days after I submitted updates about my research and ECs.

Reactions: 6 users
I started volunteering in an ICU unit in July. Should I update CUSOM on this? It wasn't on my primary application. Thank you :)

I don't see why not! If it's not on your app, how would they know about it, right?

First II! So excited!

What they say about updates is true! I was complete on 7/11 and got the interview email today...2 days after I submitted updates about my research and ECs.

Yay! Glad you got the II!

Reactions: 2 users
dumb question- if I'm a lab manager (full time job) and I finished advising an undergrad for 10 weeks in the summer that doesn't count as a leadership update correct?

Reactions: 1 user
How are the research opportunities at Creighton? Anyone have experience with the dual program MD/MS masters in clinical and translational science?

dumb question- if I'm a lab manager (full time job) and I finished advising an undergrad for 10 weeks in the summer that doesn't count as a leadership update correct?

I'm not sure. Being a lab manager is a sort of leadership, but if it's already in your AMCAS, then probably no, it wouldn't merit an update. You could always call or email Creighton to ask though.

How are the research opportunities at Creighton? Anyone have experience with the dual program MD/MS masters in clinical and translational science?
It's not really a big research university, but there are labs and physicians (usually residents) you can reach out to to be a part of their lab or help write a case report. They do offer a summer program (6 weeks) to do research during the M1/M2 transition summer if you wanted to do it. You can always research during the year as well. You just have to actively contact labs to be a part of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure. Being a lab manager is a sort of leadership, but if it's already in your AMCAS, then probably no, it wouldn't merit an update. You could always call or email Creighton to ask though.

It's not really a big research university, but there are labs and physicians (usually residents) you can reach out to to be a part of their lab or help write a case report. They do offer a summer program (6 weeks) to do research during the M1/M2 transition summer if you wanted to do it. You can always research during the year as well. You just have to actively contact labs to be a part of them.

Thank you for the response. I really appreciate it!

They still offer the MS/MD dual program track though right? Its on their website but not really emphasized.

Clinical and Translational Science | Creighton University

How did you guys format your updates? I'm at a loss of how to say things aha. Should I talk more about things I like about the school?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I would like to send an update. I have a recent shadowing experience and more volunteering experience. My research poster was also chosen to be presented at a national conference but that won't be until October. Can I talk about it before it actually happens since I was chosen to present?

Can I talk about it before it actually happens since I was chosen to present?
Having an abstract/poster be accepted for presentation at a national conference merits an update in my opinion. I was in a similar situation last year and included it in my updates, letting the schools know that my abstract was accepted and that I would be presenting on such-and-such topic. You can also update them about your clinical experiences while you're at it, there's not much harm that can come from that (especially if you think you didn't have enough hours on your primary application).

Reactions: 1 users
Having an abstract/poster be accepted for presentation at a national conference merits an update in my opinion. I was in a similar situation last year and included it in my updates, letting the schools know that my abstract was accepted and that I would be presenting on such-and-such topic. You can also update them about your clinical experiences while you're at it, there's not much harm that can come from that (especially if you think you didn't have enough hours on your primary application).
Thank you!

Hey everyone! Just a question about the physiology requirement. If my school has their class split up into two semesters, will taking only one of the two semesters satisfy Creighton's requirement?

Does anyone know why it takes so long to be marked complete? Most other schools load LOR's very quickly. Not complaining (huge fan of Creighton's mission), but just curious why it takes so long.

Does anyone know why it takes so long to be marked complete? Most other schools load LOR's very quickly. Not complaining (huge fan of Creighton's mission), but just curious why it takes so long.

I was marked complete one day after I submitted my secondary in early August. They're probably just backed up right now? Or you can try calling the school to see if anything's missing.

I was marked complete one day after I submitted my secondary in early August. They're probably just backed up right now? Or you can try calling the school to see if anything's missing.
oh okay, thanks! I actually was just basing my comment off of the 3-4 weeks disclaimer when you submit the secondary. They said they have to check the LORs to see if they meet the requirement. I'll wait for a few days and then maybe follow-up to see if I'm missing anything.

Thank you for the response. I really appreciate it!

They still offer the MS/MD dual program track though right? Its on their website but not really emphasized.

Clinical and Translational Science | Creighton University

Yes they still offer it. My understanding is that most dual degree programs with masters are really kinda introduced after the first semester of m1 year but I could be completely wrong (I'm an M1 so perhaps an M2 can clarify). If you are REALLY interested in research I'd encourage you to consider the md/phd. Benefit being that md/phd gives you a full scholarship (tuition + stipend) and I believe can be completed in 7-8 years total. Md/MS will run you 5 years and will NOT give you that type of financial support. I'd encourage you to reach out to the CTS department with any questions you have about it.

Hey everyone! Just a question about the physiology requirement. If my school has their class split up into two semesters, will taking only one of the two semesters satisfy Creighton's requirement?
Email the med admissions ([email protected]). They will be able to give you a better answer regarding this than anyone on sdn.

Thank you!
How did you guys format your updates? I'm at a loss of how to say things aha. Should I talk more about things I like about the school?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
So ill give an instance of my updates from when I applied. This is by no means the template of what to do, but it might give you an idea. Mine was a professionally addressed letter not simply an email with the contact info(mailing address and everything) included.

I did a short intro line stating I would like to update them on my activities since XXX (could be since secondary submissions or since my interview or whatever).
Then explain you update. For me this started with new/things to come things, i.e. I just had an abstract accepted. Or I will be presenting on date xyz. Than I would shortly state my continuation of other activites were important. i.e. I have continued shadowing Dr. Yang a cardiothoracic surgeon in Switzerland.

so template:
Dear so and so,
Short intro
Update 1
Update 2... (so on and so forth)
Thank you

don't over think it don't dress it up. It should be relatively short and to the point. Any other med student feel free to critique my advice, but this is what i did.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you!
Exactly like my fellow M1 said. I also personally updated After my presentations to update that I actually did it and update on anything that changed.

Yes they still offer it. My understanding is that most dual degree programs with masters are really kinda introduced after the first semester of m1 year but I could be completely wrong (I'm an M1 so perhaps an M2 can clarify). If you are REALLY interested in research I'd encourage you to consider the md/phd. Benefit being that md/phd gives you a full scholarship (tuition + stipend) and I believe can be completed in 7-8 years total. Md/MS will run you 5 years and will NOT give you that type of financial support. I'd encourage you to reach out to the CTS department with any questions you have about it.

Hi McNerdy, thank you for the thorough response!

I'm aware of the MD/PHD program but since my MCAT is only 512 (MD/PHD average is 514-515) and I only have about ~10 months of research experience I figured I was not competitive for MD/PHD. However, I am going to continue working on two difference research projects all the way into next fall (when I hopefully get accepted somewhere), so there's a good chance I'll have a publication by then. I was wondering if I could apply for the MD/PHD program at Creighton as a first year med student?

Hi McNerdy, thank you for the thorough response!

I'm aware of the MD/PHD program but since my MCAT is only 512 (MD/PHD average is 514-515) and I only have about ~10 months of research experience I figured I was not competitive for MD/PHD. However, I am going to continue working on two difference research projects all the way into next fall (when I hopefully get accepted somewhere), so there's a good chance I'll have a publication by then. I was wondering if I could apply for the MD/PHD program at Creighton as a first year med student?

So I'm aware that those are typical however I am not sure if those stats are correct specifically for our program. Creighton tends to be more "holistic" and less numbers oriented. That being said I am 99% sure you CANNOT apply for md/phd other than in your initial application. I'd encourage you to reach out to Creighton and double check that. but I am pretty sure it's a no go since MD/PHD start taking classes like a month or so before us.

So I'm aware that those are typical however I am not sure if those stats are correct specifically for our program. Creighton tends to be more "holistic" and less numbers oriented. That being said I am 99% sure you CANNOT apply for md/phd other than in your initial application. I'd encourage you to reach out to Creighton and double check that. but I am pretty sure it's a no go since MD/PHD start taking classes like a month or so before us.

Thanks for the quick response! I actually wrote about my specific interest in the MD/MS in my secondary. I would be interested in the MD/PHD program though so I'll shoot them a message!

Did anyone interview last weekend? How was it?
Thanks for the quick response! I actually wrote about my specific interest in the MD/MS in my secondary. I would be interested in the MD/PHD program though so I'll shoot them a message!

You do whatever you're passionate about man. The Masters is a great route. If they allow you to opt into the md/phd please share so others may learn about the circumstance.

You do whatever you're passionate about man. The Masters is a great route. If they allow you to opt into the md/phd please share so others may learn about the circumstance.

Will do! Thanks for taking the time to answer all of our questions!

random question but does anyone remember how much this secondary cost? tried to look back through my emails to find the receipt but could not locate it

I spoke with someone in admissions and they stated that they would accept a sequence of anatomy&physioloy in lieu of physiology. Hope this helps!

they havent sent out II for a while now...

Hey, guys quick question about Creighton. Does anyone know the statistics on students from Creighton undergraduate and II? Does Creighton give a preference for their own undergraduates?

I don't think there are exact statistics looking at the preference of Creighton for its own undergraduate students (or at least it is not available to the public), but I would think that there is a preference. I am not sure about how it plays out with II's, but there is a sizeable chunk of students in my class who attended Creighton for undergrad, it's the most represented college by a long-shot.

*Edit*: That should have quoted you, but my computer messed up a little bit I guess. @TheAverageOne

I don't think there are exact statistics looking at the preference of Creighton for its own undergraduate students (or at least it is not available to the public), but I would think that there is a preference. I am not sure about how it plays out with II's, but there is a sizeable chunk of students in my class who attended Creighton for undergrad, it's the most represented college by a long-shot.

*Edit*: That should have quoted you, but my computer messed up a little bit I guess. @TheAverageOne

Thanks! I am currently an undergrad there and submitted my app on 7/15 and haven't heard anything. I know it's early but was just curious

I know it's early but was just curious
The problem with the preference is that just about every Creighton undergrad will also probably be applying to CUSOM, so the competition probably levels out in the grand scheme of things. Just keep waiting to see what happens, best of luck as you continue through this application cycle!

Hey guys, I'm super into Creighton so I'm asking here- but am looking for some general advice. I am planning to start shadowing in a rural area come December. I have plenty of shadowing experience, but no rural med experience. I want to update the school of this planned experience, since adding a letter or something along those line in December or January is pretty late. Do you guys think I should update just informing them that I am planning to start this specific experience in December, or should I wait until January and try to get a letter to update from the doc?

Thanks for your advice!

Thanks for your advice!
I would probably wait, especially since you have "plenty of shadowing experience" (depends on your definition though, to be fair). I don't think the addition of a planned activity for rural medicine exposure would be extremely helpful in the application process, I'd have a better effect if you were either part-way through the program or afterwards. Increased shadowing hours has generally not been seen as a big advantage for obtaining II's or acceptances, at least that's the predominant ideology on SDN. Also, there's not too much of an emphasis on rural medicine at Creighton from what I've seen.

I would probably wait, especially since you have "plenty of shadowing experience" (depends on your definition though, to be fair). I don't think the addition of a planned activity for rural medicine exposure would be extremely helpful in the application process, I'd have a better effect if you were either part-way through the program or afterwards. Increased shadowing hours has generally not been seen as a big advantage for obtaining II's or acceptances, at least that's the predominant ideology on SDN. Also, there's not too much of an emphasis on rural medicine at Creighton from what I've seen.

Yeah, I suppose for Creighton specifically it wouldn't make a huge difference. Some of the schools I applied to had a bigger emphasis on rural med. My experiences so far have all been in underserved- but very urban environments, so I figured rural med experience would be a plus in terms of more well-roundedness. Probably won't be much for Creighton though. Thank you for your input!