2017-2018 CC Fellowship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

engineeredout

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering who else out there is playing the waiting game for CC...

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody else? Guess I'm the only one applying for critical care. Makes for an easy application session for me

Reactions: 1 user
Nobody else? Guess I'm the only one applying for critical care. Makes for an easy application session for me
Relax u have some company! U going for the 2 year or 1 year track i have 4 invites so far

Members don't see this ad :)
Also going for the 2 year, EM background. Handful of invites so far.

glad to find this forum
IM hospitalist attending in academic hospital here . Been out of residency for 8 years , few case reports publications , no need for visa
1 interview in Cc and 1 in pulm/ cc so far .I would prefer a 2 year Cc fellowship rather a 3 year pulm/Cc fellowship . Any idea How is the time line application process for CC this season ? should I expect more invitations later on ?
I thought I was a good candidate but I guess was wrong .
Have any of you guys emailed or called fellowship programs to check on your application status ? is that a common practice ?

For CCM only I have yet to see any interview dates offered after September. However, that is only with an n of 8. Since it is a rolling admission, I imagine that as people start accepting offers they will begin to cancel the other interviews set up, leading to more invites sent out later on.

I have yet to email any programs, but I did for residency interviews, so I would not think they would be surprised to hear from you.

For CCM only I have yet to see any interview dates offered after September. However, that is only with an n of 8. Since it is a rolling admission, I imagine that as people start accepting offers they will begin to cancel the other interviews set up, leading to more invites sent out later on.

I have yet to email any programs, but I did for residency interviews, so I would not think they would be surprised to hear from you.

My first offer was late July, last was late September. I wasn't EM via IM though.

glad to find this forum
IM hospitalist attending in academic hospital here . Been out of residency for 8 years , few case reports publications , no need for visa
1 interview in Cc and 1 in pulm/ cc so far .I would prefer a 2 year Cc fellowship rather a 3 year pulm/Cc fellowship . Any idea How is the time line application process for CC this season ? should I expect more invitations later on ?
I thought I was a good candidate but I guess was wrong .
Have any of you guys emailed or called fellowship programs to check on your application status ? is that a common practice ?

Although from a different background than you, I can say that I haven't heard either way from the majority of places applied to yet (IM-CCM only)

Last edited:
I'm EM background. first interview invite was last week. haven't heard anything from anybody else. i've contacted one program- where i went to med school, i first emailed the PD in december asking if they accepted applicants outside of IM. was told that i would likely get an invite for an interview there then but haven't heard anything from them since then. also have been trolling the pulm/cc board and there are several places that i have applied to that it doesn't appear have gotten back to anybody (at least on here).

I only heard from 2 programs about 3 weeks ago. Pitt and Geisinger Danville

How many programs total are there offering 2 year fellowship spots?

Do any spots ever end up going unfilled?

Members don't see this ad :)
What's up with the large number of withdrawn ABIM-CC programs? From the ACGME site:

nmWZAj8.png

EM trainee here, not applying this cycle. Interested in hearing about which routes people are applying to. I'm strongly leaning towards IM-CC, but would entertain anesthesiology-CC. No interest in surgery.

Anesthesiology programs take applications way early, and I have heartburn about about surgery-heavy programs.

I Geisinger a good program. Any input?

EM trainee here, not applying this cycle. Interested in hearing about which routes people are applying to. I'm strongly leaning towards IM-CC, but would entertain anesthesiology-CC. No interest in surgery.

Anesthesiology programs take applications way early, and I have heartburn about about surgery-heavy programs.
EM-CCM Fellowships

That is a decent (but not all inclusive) list of programs (mix of IM/Surg/anesthesia CC) which have tracks tailored towards EM people.

I'm EM background, applying through IM. I will note however, these IM-based programs designed for EM people do have more surg crit built in than their IM counterparts will get, which personally I don't mind as I could use more experience in those areas. Like you said though, overall I didn't have an interest in pure surgical programs

EM-CCM Fellowships

That is a decent (but not all inclusive) list of programs (mix of IM/Surg/anesthesia CC) which have tracks tailored towards EM people.

I'm EM background, applying through IM. I will note however, these IM-based programs designed for EM people do have more surg crit built in than their IM counterparts will get, which personally I don't mind as I could use more experience in those areas. Like you said though, overall I didn't have an interest in pure surgical programs
University of Nebraska's Anesthesiology-CCM program should be on that list, as they just graduated their first EM fellow in June. Generally balanced between medical and surgical, with a lot of cardiac surgery/Cardiology ICU (a leader in ECMO, lots of VADs, etc), and a strong echo program. They also have an open spot for 2018 start.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Is Arizona's IM-CC program still going strong? They aren't even listed on the ACGME fellowship database...at all. Weird.

Edit: Same with Georgetown. Not even listed. Weird.

Last edited:
Can confirm that AZ and georgetown still have EM-CCM fellowships.

Have you guys heard anything about the programs at Einstein/Monte, Standford, and Rochester? I don't know too many IM-CCM people and am trying to get a general sense of how the programs are viewed.

Is it too late to apply to Critical Care/ Critical-Care-Pulmonolgy fellowships?

Are IMGs who did not do their residency from the U.S. eligible to apply to fellowships in the US if they intend going back to their own country after the 3 year fellowship? I know this used to be the case earlier but don't know if things have changed now. Please enlighten.

Is research a big deal for ccm applications? Im coming from a not research heavy community em program... thanks!

Is research a big deal for ccm applications? Im coming from a not research heavy community em program... thanks!

Depends on which CCM program you are looking at. There are some that are research heavy and for those, having research will help. If you are looking to get in anywhere, should probably be ok without research.

I had virtually no research and got multiple interviews

Reactions: 1 users
University of Nebraska's Anesthesiology-CCM program should be on that list, as they just graduated their first EM fellow in June. Generally balanced between medical and surgical, with a lot of cardiac surgery/Cardiology ICU (a leader in ECMO, lots of VADs, etc), and a strong echo program. They also have an open spot for 2018 start.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
What psych didn't come right out and say is that this program is awesome. Because it is. PD is great and division chief of CC so everything is under his thumb in the ICU and he obviously cares very much about his program, chair of the department is an intensivist and is incredibly supportive. Lot and lots and lots of pathology.

Great overall program with great people.

That is a good point to all of those EM applicants that got no love from the Medicine route, the SFMatch has a handful of programs looking from EM graduates, to list a few; MCW, Nebraska, Washington, MUSC, Miami, Loma Linda, Iowa are all very EM friendly.

Is anyone here familiar with AOA side of critical care fellowships? I applied to the CC and Pulm/CC (however my application is definitely tilted towards straight critical care). Out of about 17 total programs still in the AOA match, I'm currently at 3 interviews (all critical care). I'm just curious if anyone has any insight to probabilities since there tends to be much less information, less spots, and less applicants on the AOA side. Most of these programs are listing something like interviewing 6 applicants or 20 applicants for 2 spots on their AOA Opportunities page.

Anyone who got a spot last year willing to reply possibly with general stats? Trying to figure out whether I'll be competitive for next year or would need additional time for research stuff.

I'm an IM resident, solid academic program, above average in terms of board scores (250+), but my last publication (I have >10 total, mix of original research/case reports/book chapters/review articles) was early 2017 though I did have a poster at ATS in May 2017. I've just recently started on a project that I thought would be publishable within 6 months, but after some recent issues with the data, it's looking a lot more like a 12 months to first draft situation in a best case scenario. I should be able to get another poster or maybe case series before my app next year, but I just won't have actual research publications from residency before applying.

I appreciate the link above, and I may have missed it, but I'm planning to apply straight CC, not PCCM, so I was hoping to get some feedback in terms of that particular pathway.

I'm an IM resident, solid academic program, above average in terms of board scores (250+), but my last publication (I have >10 total, mix of original research/case reports/book chapters/review articles) was early 2017 though I did have a poster at ATS in May 2017. I've just recently started on a project that I thought would be publishable within 6 months, but after some recent issues with the data, it's looking a lot more like a 12 months to first draft situation in a best case scenario. I should be able to get another poster or maybe case series before my app next year, but I just won't have actual research publications from residency before applying.

I appreciate the link above, and I may have missed it, but I'm planning to apply straight CC, not PCCM, so I was hoping to get some feedback in terms of that particular pathway.

You will be fine. Probably have a shot at top programs.

Anyone who got a spot last year willing to reply possibly with general stats? Trying to figure out whether I'll be competitive for next year or would need additional time for research stuff.

I applied last year.

IMG from SGU
Step 1 wasn’t that great, step 2 was okay. Took step 3 after I got my spot (don’t do that!), chief resident at a small community hospital in NYC, had stellar letters, member of some committees in the hospital and had about three posters at our own hospitals research day (none of which I was a first author). Applied to abt 25 ccm programs, got two invites and matched to the one I wanted in NYC.

You're absolutely gonna be fine, especially if you apply broadly. Don't worry.

I'm not geographically constrained in any way and was actually planning to apply to every program available and just see what interviews I received. Appreciate your feedback!

I am an IMG on a Visa (J1). I finished my residency in a community program in Philadelphia and worked at a different program as a chief. I have a few publications during residency including a clinical image in NEJM. I also presented several case reports and research abstracts in several conferences during residency. I applied for Cardio last year (17-18) guess what did not match. I am pursuing a waiver job as a hospitalist and it will be 4 years until I get to apply again. I am planning to apply CCM after getting a green card. What would be my realistic chances after being out of training for 4 years? How much would a Masters of Science in Clinical Research help?

I am an IMG on a Visa (J1). I finished my residency in a community program in Philadelphia and worked at a different program as a chief. I have a few publications during residency including a clinical image in NEJM. I also presented several case reports and research abstracts in several conferences during residency. I applied for Cardio last year (17-18) guess what did not match. I am pursuing a waiver job as a hospitalist and it will be 4 years until I get to apply again. I am planning to apply CCM after getting a green card. What would be my realistic chances after being out of training for 4 years? How much would a Masters of Science in Clinical Research help?

There’s so many variables including scores, which residency you trained in etc. Plus there is a lot that can change in a few years - you may not even want to pursue a fellowship at that point. It looks like you have the research part covered. The general thought process is that being out of training may put you at a disadvantage but not all program directors may view it in that manner. You probably have a decent shot at getting in somewhere. My advice would be to apply widely and see what happens.

I’m a Canadian and as a result am familiar with the J1 waiver/green card process - keep in mind you may not get a green card immediately after the completion of your waiver - it will be at least a year or longer if you are born in India/China. During that timeframe you will probably be on an H1b visa - that particular visa can make it more challenging to get a fellowship position.

There’s so many variables including scores, which residency you trained in etc. Plus there is a lot that can change in a few years - you may not even want to pursue a fellowship at that point. It looks like you have the research part covered. The general thought process is that being out of training may put you at a disadvantage but not all program directors may view it in that manner. You probably have a decent shot at getting in somewhere. My advice would be to apply widely and see what happens.

I’m a Canadian and as a result am familiar with the J1 waiver/green card process - keep in mind you may not get a green card immediately after the completion of your waiver - it will be at least a year or longer if you are born in India/China. During that timeframe you will probably be on an H1b visa - that particular visa can make it more challenging to get a fellowship position.

I have good USMLE Scores (250s) 223 in Step 3 and all in the first attempt. I am not from India/China so my GC wait will not be that long. Do u think MS Clinical research or anything of that sort will change my chances?

At my fellowship hospital I (Anes-CC), a Pulm/CC fellow, an IM-CC fellow, and a Cards fellow were each attendings for several years before going back to fellowship. I don't think the others did anything special during their time after residency regarding research or anything else. They just worked, then applied.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile