2017-2018 Case Western Reserve University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II! LizzyM 64-67
Complete 8/4

Also got an II earlier today. LizzyM 63-65, Complete 8/8. Excited to be interviewing here!!

Congrats to both of you!!! my lizzyM is similar to both of your scores so this gives me hope :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
so i just learned about LizzyM scores. mine is a 72 just got my secondary for case western. wanted an opinion. I made up my "adversity prompt" for another school and its about my research and how I have gone from developing my own protocols to finishing the project. what i learned from the journey. i realize the optional prompt is about research as well. do you guys believe this would be redundant? i honestly like my answer to the adversity prompt because it fits well with the rest of my application. i didnt talk about research at all in my personal statement mainly about my clinical ECs. also is a 72 lizzyM a good score? i feel like its very vague because it doesnt take into account all your ECs? sorry very new to this forum as you can probably tell.

so i just learned about LizzyM scores. mine is a 72 just got my secondary for case western. wanted an opinion. I made up my "adversity prompt" for another school and its about my research and how I have gone from developing my own protocols to finishing the project. what i learned from the journey. i realize the optional prompt is about research as well. do you guys believe this would be redundant? i honestly like my answer to the adversity prompt because it fits well with the rest of my application. i didnt talk about research at all in my personal statement mainly about my clinical ECs. also is a 72 lizzyM a good score? i feel like its very vague because it doesnt take into account all your ECs? sorry very new to this forum as you can probably tell.
I wrote about my research in my adversity statement so you are not alone. I don't see why it would be a problem. I haven't gotten interviews or anything but your research essay should DEFINITELY be about the content of your research like what you did, how, specific projects ect. The adversity prompt I'm assuming would go into detail about how you overcame some sort of problem in your research. I talked about having to complete my thesis even though my PI left the university. Could you go into more detail about what you used?

Members don't see this ad :)

Just my .02 , I think that if you like your essay then go for it. The optional prompt is optional.

I wrote about my research in my adversity statement so you are not alone. I don't see why it would be a problem. I haven't gotten interviews or anything but your research essay should DEFINITELY be about the content of your research like what you did, how, specific projects ect. The adversity prompt I'm assuming would go into detail about how you overcame some sort of problem in your research. I talked about having to complete my thesis even though my PI left the university. Could you go into more detail about what you used?
so in my adversity essay i used my research as kind of a way to show the qualities i have harnessed by doing it. my research was quite extensive i had to develop most of the protocols from scratch and the experiment went on continuously for three days as i had 24 hour incubation steps. i successfully completed three trials of the experiment out of at least a dozen. which is why im using it as my adversity essay. its something that I gave a big commitment to and eventually succeeded. this is only one piece of the whole project and i plan on publishing the whole project next semester. i dont go into any specific detail on the project in my adversity essay. i think another big issue is the "results and your interpretations" i dont want to release my results...how did you go about that?

Just my .02 , I think that if you like your essay then go for it. The optional prompt is optional.
thanks i think i will go ahead and use it. I think it goes well with my app. also im probably the lowest LizzyM (72) applicant applying on sdn to case western its kind of a moonshot school for me so i want to make sure i make my application as cohesive as possible.

thanks i think i will go ahead and use it. I think it goes well with my app. also im probably the lowest LizzyM (72) applicant applying on sdn to case western its kind of a moonshot school for me so i want to make sure i make my application as cohesive as possible.
See above. People got IIs with lower LMs

so in my adversity essay i used my research as kind of a way to show the qualities i have harnessed by doing it. my research was quite extensive i had to develop most of the protocols from scratch and the experiment went on continuously for three days as i had 24 hour incubation steps. i successfully completed three trials of the experiment out of at least a dozen. which is why im using it as my adversity essay. its something that I gave a big commitment to and eventually succeeded. this is only one piece of the whole project and i plan on publishing the whole project next semester. i dont go into any specific detail on the project in my adversity essay. i think another big issue is the "results and your interpretations" i dont want to release my results...how did you go about that?
I think an overview and what kinds of results you are looking for is more important for the research essay. Hypothesis, projects and why you like it/what significance does it have can be mentioned. The adversity essay you have is good in my opinion, just make sure you highlight why your research project was harder than the average one and the ways you overcame having a tougher project. Wouldn't worry too much about results, but everything is kept private I'm pretty sure. I couldn't go into too much detail the on significance of my project, I thought it was pretty obvious but I just didn't have enough space.

I think an overview and what kinds of results you are looking for is more important for the research essay. Hypothesis, projects and why you like it/what significance does it have can be mentioned. The adversity essay you have is good in my opinion, just make sure you highlight why your research project was harder than the average one and the ways you overcame having a tougher project. Wouldn't worry too much about results, but everything is kept private I'm pretty sure. I couldn't go into too much detail the on significance of my project, I thought it was pretty obvious but I just didn't have enough space.
alright thanks for the insight i think ill pick another project for my research essay so that it gives a little variety in my research experiences and the one ill pick had significant effects on my choice of concentration in my major so i think its worth talking about. i think yours is pretty obvious its fairly difficult without your PI haha idk how would do mine without mine. so much of it was an informed guessing game for me and that was with my PI assisting me.

alright thanks for the insight i think ill pick another project for my research essay so that it gives a little variety in my research experiences and the one ill pick had significant effects on my choice of concentration in my major so i think its worth talking about. i think yours is pretty obvious its fairly difficult without your PI haha idk how would do mine without mine. so much of it was an informed guessing game for me and that was with my PI assisting me.
yeah it was hard, but just used skype and shadowed other lab members, really screwed up my schedule though. My only worry is we are probably competing with ppl that have crazy adversity stories - thats my only worry:/

yeah it was hard, but just used skype and shadowed other lab members, really screwed up my schedule though. My only worry is we are probably competing with ppl that have crazy adversity stories - thats my only worry:/
so as far as i know they arent looking for a competition on adversity. i have quite a lot of personal challenges as an immigrant/first generation i could talk about. and im sure you do as well. i think i learned valuable lessons that i can take to med school with this experience more so than my other challenges in life. oh man my schedule is probably no better. sitting in lab at midnight atm resuspending cells.

Reactions: 1 users
so as far as i know they arent looking for a competition on adversity. i have quite a lot of personal challenges as an immigrant/first generation i could talk about. and im sure you do as well. i think i learned valuable lessons that i can take to med school with this experience more so than my other challenges in life. oh man my schedule is probably no better. sitting in lab at midnight atm resuspending cells.
yeah for sure. I have the same situation, but I thought my lab adversity really tested resillience. As long as its genuine, we should be ok content wise.

Members don't see this ad :)
II!!!! So thrilled! To University:):):) also complete 7/20!!

Reactions: 6 users
Complete 8/12, II 8/28.

Anyone had any luck contacting the admissions office to reschedule an interview? I've tried a few times during normal business hours with the number they gave us on the II letter but it always goes straight to the answering machine. It says specifically not to contact them by email to reschedule but might have to do just that. :lame:

Reactions: 1 users
Ive had my secondary for a while (probably about a month now) and wasnt going to submit despite me being IS because of low stats (LM:67) but lower LM IIs coming out have me scrambling to finish. Do you think they will care that I had minimal research experience in UG but now work full time as a research assistant (3rd week on the job)?

Put on hold this morning (complete 7/20)

Don't give up hope if you are on hold. I was put "on hold" and ultimately invited to interview and accepted.

Reactions: 8 users
II just now!!!!! TOP CHOICE SCHOOL PLEASE LOVE ME

Reactions: 10 users
Complete 7/26; Rejected today. Best wishes to all you superstars!

Regarding the student host, did you guys select the date of your interview or the day before?

Complete 7/20; rejected from the college stream this morning (no word from the university stream).

Regarding the student host, did you guys select the date of your interview or the day before?

Inside the app it says "date to be hosted", so I'd guess whichever day you're planning on hanging out with them.

The question I had is, is there any advantage to doing this? A friend of mine is doing his clinical rotations at Cleveland Clinic so I was planning on staying with him.

I did the day before my interview, but once I emailed my host she was nice enough to offer to host me both nights!

Inside the app it says "date to be hosted", so I'd guess whichever day you're planning on hanging out with them.

The question I had is, is there any advantage to doing this? A friend of mine is doing his clinical rotations at Cleveland Clinic so I was planning on staying with him.
If you're asking whether or not there's some advantage as far as actually getting admitted due to getting set up with a student host through case, the answer is no. Youre 100% ok to stay with your friend instead

Select the day before your actual interview, assuming that's the night you are needing accommodations.

This is definitely one of my top choices, good luck to everyone on this thread!

Commenting on the admissions' Instagram account every day until they review me. I think it's a rock solid plan.

Reactions: 10 users
II!! :) Rejected for CCLCM but got a regular MD interview!

Reactions: 5 users
II for the University track! I didn't bother applying to CCLCM lol. Complete 7/25, LM = 77-78

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Can anyone give me some info on what the deal is with in-area emails? Is it like you have to have an II from the school already to email them if you'll be in the area sooner or could you do it before so they can give you some early consideration? I have an interview at OSU next month and I'm not in the best financial circumstance to afford two trips to Ohio back to back so I wanted to email CWRU admissions.

Can anyone give me some info on what the deal is with in-area emails? Is it like you have to have an II from the school already to email them if you'll be in the area sooner or could you do it before so they can give you some early consideration? I have an interview at OSU next month and I'm not in the best financial circumstance to afford two trips to Ohio back to back so I wanted to email CWRU admissions.
I heard on the Einstein forum, people doing it before receiving interviews and then receiving an interview after. I think some schools will accelerate when they look at you after an in the area request but just my 2 cents, i'm not positive.

I heard on the Einstein forum, people doing it before receiving interviews and then receiving an interview after. I think some schools will accelerate when they look at you after an in the area request but just my 2 cents, i'm not positive.
Thanks for the reply. I've heard that some schools definitely do that but others may not take it so lightly. I just wanted to see if anyone knew anything specific with how Case views it.

I was complete 8/8! I actually submitted it 7/24, but for some reason, the system didn't take my letters of recommendation so I had to email them haha.

Anyone complete early ~7/14 and still not hear anything?

Reactions: 5 users
II this a.m to the university track, couldn't be more pumped!
complete 7/20

Reactions: 7 users