2017-2018 Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted via email today! Interviewed on 8/22

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Acceptance!! Interviewed 8/21 on my birthday!!

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted!! I am gonna be a doctor!! Hell yea!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Acceptance!! Interviewed 8/21 on my birthday!!
I interviewed the same day! Why didn't you mention it was your birthday? I am sorry if you did and I didn't hear. Congats! What a lucky day!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sort of in the same boat. I only applied to two. If you don't mind, how did you handle that question?

I used it as my catalyst to emphasize "Why Campbell" and talked specifically about the DO curriculum components at Campbell that interested me the most.

I interviewed the same day! Why didn't you mention it was your birthday? I am sorry if you did and I didn't hear. Congats! What a lucky day!
Hey! Awesome! I was the older dude with a couple kids. I was thinking about using my birthday as a sympathy card in my interview. Like "please, it is my birthday. Don't ruin it for me." Guess it worked out anyway!

Does Campbell give supplemental without MCAT?

It would appear not. I received this about two weeks after the email acknowledging my primary.
Your AACOMAS application shows that you are in the process of taking or retaking your MCAT. Our Admissions Committee conducted an initial review of your application and has determined they would prefer to wait to make a decision regarding your candidacy until they have the opportunity to review the results of your upcoming MCAT. Therefore, your application has been placed on hold until we receive record of your score.

Stats: 4.00, no prior MCAT.

With how long it takes for scores to release, primary to be reviewed, secondary to be sent, secondary to be completed, secondary to be reviewed, finally for an interview to be scheduled, I dare say we will be interviewing for each other's wait list sometime early next year.

It's a shame that this delays the process so much. I've had other schools which prescreen but still send secondaries to speed the process up a little.

Can any current students comment on the quality of clinical rotations at CUSOM?

Can any current students comment on the quality of clinical rotations at CUSOM?

Not a current student, but a next-year one. From the interview day the rotations seemed great and they have a variety of locations around NC

Interview tomorrow! Anyone else going to be there tomorrow? Currently in my microtel room bumming out lol

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interview tomorrow! Anyone else going to be there tomorrow? Currently in my microtel room bumming out lol
I'm at the Microtel too. I'd love to eat at the waffle House before reading over my app.

It would appear not. I received this about two weeks after the email acknowledging my primary.

Stats: 4.00, no prior MCAT.

With how long it takes for scores to release, primary to be reviewed, secondary to be sent, secondary to be completed, secondary to be reviewed, finally for an interview to be scheduled, I dare say we will be interviewing for each other's wait list sometime early next year.

It's a shame that this delays the process so much. I've had other schools which prescreen but still send secondaries to speed the process up a little.
with as many apps as they get, I wouldn't do anything without an mcat either. It's a basic screening tool. If you have a completely unnacceptable mcat, they don't need to be paying someone to read your stuff....they'll review it once the score comes out

If you have a completely unnacceptable mcat, they don't need to be paying someone to read your stuff....they'll review it once the score comes out

I'm pretty sure they would still be making a tidy profit, given how much secondaries cost, if they accepted them prior to a score release. Delaying it disadvantages both the school and the applicant. Some schools schedule interviews with only primaries, provided you have the secondary turned in prior to your scheduled interview. In which case, by the time CUSOM gets around to providing a secondary/reading a secondary, an applicant may already have another acceptance.

I'm pretty sure they would still be making a tidy profit, given how much secondaries cost, if they accepted them prior to a score release. Delaying it disadvantages both the school and the applicant. Some schools schedule interviews with only primaries, provided you have the secondary turned in prior to your scheduled interview. In which case, by the time CUSOM gets around to providing a secondary/reading a secondary, an applicant may already have another acceptance.
I don't think anyone is scheduling interviews without an mcat....

What schools schedule interviews without a secondary?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I don't think anyone is scheduling interviews without an mcat....
I never said they were. I'm talking about secondaries. Delaying secondaries until there is a complete primary (including MCAT, LOR etc.) delays all the subsequent steps in the process, including the interview.
What schools schedule interviews without a secondary?
USCSOM
Update:

My first II! For October 11.
Catcher: haven't even submitted the secondary yet. Email says secondary needs to be in by Oct 4.

Any one else with similar experiences?

I was about to post the same thing. I have my interview on the same date and I haven't submitted the secondary yet lol. Hoping it's a good sign for us! OOS LizzyM of 68
This is from a school with a strong in state bias--only 15% OOS.

I never said they were. I'm talking about secondaries. Delaying secondaries until there is a complete primary (including MCAT, LOR etc.) delays all the subsequent steps in the process, including the interview.

I'm saying the point of a primary is to see if you warrant a secondary.

Good luck to you

So tomorrow marks 3 weeks from the complete email for me. Should I expect to hear back, or does it take them a little over their 3 weeks?

I attended a recent interview at CUSOM, and I’d like to give my thoughts. Hopefully this helps others in choosing the right school for them!

Atmosphere: Really positive! All the students were generally smiling, happy, and glad to be here. The faculty is extremely welcoming, and made us as relaxed as possible for our actual interviews. We received little folders with our name badge and a few very well made brochures about Campbell. They also contained papers with our interview schedule, a detailed curriculum packet (including sample student schedules which I really liked), and financial aid information. Many students passing by took time to share some encouraging words and the general vibe was super positive. Everyone told us to “be ourselves” many times, and it truly felt like they just wanted us to see what CUSOM had to offer while getting to know us. I felt really at ease here, and I would love to spend my didactic years here learning about medicine.

Atmosphere: 10/10

Students: Everyone was so nice! We were given the chance to speak with MS1’s at lunch, and MS2’s on the tour, giving us a nice perspective. At lunch, we had really awesome sandwiches (I’m a sucker for free food) and salad while talking with the MS1’S. There were no faculty around when we were with the students, and they were completely honest and at ease with us. We kinda naturally divided into little groups around the big table with the nearest medical student. Most of my conversation revolved around the area, how it was living here, and his general experience as a student. During the tour, we had two MS2’s showing us around. They gave us a super thorough tour of the facilities, and were down-to-earth. They were open about the few negatives (mandatory lecture for one), but the pros outweighed the cons. The students pretty much unanimously said the mandatory lectures ended up being alright, and you can miss 20% of any class. Overall, they spoke very highly of the school, curriculum, faculty etc. I got along great with all the students I met, both current students and interviewees, and I think that speaks to the type of people Campbell recruits.

Students: 10/10

Facilities: Completely exceeded my expectations! The pictures on the website really don’t do it justice. The building from the outside is beautiful. Everything looks state of the art and modern both inside and out. The architecture is really stunning and I couldn’t help but keep commenting on how nice the buildings looked inside and out! Everything from the chairs, to the televisions, the projectors, cameras, desks looks brand new and advanced. Even the lecture halls were impressive, which is good since we would be spending many hours a week there :p All lectures are recorded, and there is even a built in mic system at everyone’s desk so students can contribute to both lecture and the recording. The MS2’s told us on the first day of class, it’s basically a free-for-all for seats, as that seat will become yours for the remainder of the year. MS1’s and MS2’s each have their own separate lecture hall. Your desk is basically your little “space”, and students regularly leave jackets and stuff at their chair for next time they are there. The building is four floors, has tons of nice study rooms, a decent but small library, and a nice OMT lab.

Facilities: 10/10

Location: So the school itself is in Buies Creek, NC. It’s 40 minutes south of Raleigh and 20ish minutes south of Fuquay-Varina. Most of the students I spoke to recommended living in Fuquay-Varina since there is more to do, it’s apparently really nice, yet still an easy commute. The town Campbell is in is very rural, but still quaint and has pretty country scenery. I wouldn’t mind commuting here since traffic seemed little to nonexistent. One thing to note is that 3rd and 4th year students are no longer living near main campus for the most part. They have ~6 (forgot exact #) of core rotation sites throughout NC, including Raleigh(WakeMed), Charlotte, etc. One of the sites IS in Buies Creek area, but that is only about 22 students per year if I remember correctly. Most move to one of the other sites, about 22 students per group. This is a plus to me, as I’d love to move to Raleigh or Charlotte for a couple years, but could be annoying moving as well. One HUGE part of the program is their SIM lab. I can’t really describe how awesome it is; you’ll have to see for yourself. They have a mock OR, ER, L&D suite, tons of mannequins, and tons of cool technology. Just trust me when I say it’s ballin.

Interview: Really good! So we were divided into two groups of interviewees. I was in the first group, and there was like ~6 of us. We were brought to one of the study rooms as a “holding” area, in which there were 2 faculty members who were really sweet and calmed our nerves. The interviewers were waiting for us in the other study rooms and came and got us as they were ready. I had 2 DO’s and 1 MD, all faculty members. They were all very professional, extremely conversational, and easy to talk to. Questions were mostly centered off specific points of my application. ⅔ of my interviewers had a paper with tons of notes typed regarding my application. The first interviewer did ask me to explain a red flag on my application (3 C’s in Orgo 1, 2, and Biochemistry -_-). I did retake them all the following year and destroyed them (high A’s) and really rocked my MCAT too. I was totally honest and owned up to my immaturity at the time, but showed how I took time to be objective and improve my study habits, ending with a good MCAT. He seemed satisfied by my answer and said that was a completely reasonable explanation. All 3 interviewers just seemed very interested to get to know me. Each interview lasted ~30 minutes.

Interview: 10/10

Miscellaneous:

• They said that about 600-900 people are interviewed per year out of ~ 5500 applications.

• At the time of my interview (August 2017) they said they were accepting ~70% of interviewees.

• You can miss UP TO 20% of lecture, but you can’t go over that, so don’t push it.

• Even though this is a Christian-based university, they seemed to be very open to people from all religious backgrounds

• Their 1st match list and board scores were super impressive. I believe it was 96 or 97% 1st time COMLEX pass rate, and ~35% scored over a 600 (which they said is really, really good. I don’t know much about COMLEX scoring yet though, sorry.). About ~75 people also took the USMLE, and they had 100% pass rate with those who took it.
  • EDIT: One other thing about lecture I forgot to mention. The typical schedule for 1st years is something like this: Monday-Wednesday: Lecture 8a-12p, Break from 12-1, Labs till 4 or 5ish. Thursdays I believe was some labs in the morning until noonish, then done for the day. Friday was typically a mandatory quiz in the morning (very short), and that's about it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I remember the typical schedule being. Not so bad!

Overall: I really REALLY loved this school (probably evident by my super long review). I went into this interview with no big expectations, but I left with CUSOM being my top DO choice at the moment. Although it is a newer program, every aspect of the program seems locked down, well-thought out, and promising. I was impressed by every aspect of their program, and I left comfortably able to say I’d be ecstatic to attend medical school here.

Overall: 9.5/10

Also, ACCEPTED here :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
So tomorrow marks 3 weeks from the complete email for me. Should I expect to hear back, or does it take them a little over their 3 weeks?
I waited until 4 weeks post complete notice and called them. They said someone would reach out to me that same day to schedule my interview. I got a call about an hour later and got set up. I would call them!

I had my interview here today and let me tell you, its one of the best interviews I have ever attended! Simply amazing! Everything exceeded my expectations! High tech and students are exposed to clinical setting from day one! PM if you have any questions

Reactions: 4 users
I had my interview here today and let me tell you, its one of the best interviews I have ever attended! Simply amazing! Everything exceeded my expectations! High tech and students are exposed to clinical setting from day one! PM if you have any questions

I also interviewed here and I have to reiterate that I strongly feel the same way. Don't be thrown off by the fact that this is a new school, but rather they have very advance technology and equipment and constantly comparing themselves to other established medical schools, such as Duke, UNC, and Wake Forest, which were the 3 they mentioned most. I would be thrilled to attend this school. Best of luck to those who are awaiting II, and message me with any questions cause I would be happy to help as much as I can.

I interviewed yesterday. They seem like an excellent school. I hope to be accepted here. If anyone has questions about the interview, feel free to message me!

I waited until 4 weeks post complete notice and called them. They said someone would reach out to me that same day to schedule my interview. I got a call about an hour later and got set up. I would call them!

I just called them because it had been about 4 weeks and they invited to schedule my interview. I'm not sure when they made this decision and if they had been planning on sending me an email inviting me but I would definitely recommend calling them if it has been 4-5 weeks.

"quality" means a lot of things to a lot of people......do you have a specific question?

This probably varies greatly site to site, but what clinical environment were most of the rotations in (inpatient vs outpatient, community vs academic, etc.)? Are most of the rotations preceptor, ward, or mix of the two?

Are students responsible for setting up you set up any of their third year rotations, or does CUSOM take care of it? Do you set up any fourth year rotations besides auditions?

Were/are you happy with your clinical education? Did you get experience with a wide range of patient populations/pathologies?

I'm aware there's a number of sites, and that answers to these questions will likely vary based on site. Any insight would be appreciated.

II. Complete early July. In-State. 3.8cGPA, 3.8sGPA, 4.0 grad, 502 MCAT. Non-traditional.

Interviewing Sept 12

This probably varies greatly site to site, but what clinical environment were most of the rotations in (inpatient vs outpatient, community vs academic, etc.)? Are most of the rotations preceptor, ward, or mix of the two?

Are students responsible for setting up you set up any of their third year rotations, or does CUSOM take care of it? Do you set up any fourth year rotations besides auditions?

Were/are you happy with your clinical education? Did you get experience with a wide range of patient populations/pathologies?

I'm aware there's a number of sites, and that answers to these questions will likely vary based on site. Any insight would be appreciated.
Cusom sets up everything unless you want to leave for an audition somewhere and you'll have almost everything within driving distance of your home site (there are 5)

1 probably counts as academic (wakemed) and the rest as community. My only outpatient was family. Students got to do a lot and see a lot of patients. As for range or pathology? It's a nebulous question, sick people are everywhere

Don't know if I mentioned this but I was accepted 8/22. Interviewed the week prior. Happy to answer any questions via pm

Current students - does it seem like the mandatory attendance policy is set in stone? Has there been any pushback by students? If so, how did faculty respond?

I'm not even opposed to mandatory lecture, just curious.

Current students - does it seem like the mandatory attendance policy is set in stone? Has there been any pushback by students? If so, how did faculty respond?

I'm not even opposed to mandatory lecture, just curious.
haha, you think 800 med students never complained about attendance?

haha, you think 800 med students never complained about attendance?

Of course I don't. But there's a big difference between students complaining vs. students pushing back and actually trying to do something about it. Has there been any organized pushback from the student majority/student leadership?

Of course I don't. But there's a big difference between students complaining vs. students pushing back and actually trying to do something about it. Has there been any organized pushback from the student majority/student leadership?
Hey! I'm a first year :) I don't think there's been any real pushback.. at least from our class (especially since we're only 5 weeks in)...

I will say that they want to know how they can accommodate students and provide the best learning environment for them. They are always seeking our feedback and it seems like the faculty is pretty observant about even little things that could help (i.e. some people print out materials for lectures and some faculty members realized that staplers were being difficult, so--without being prompted, I believe--they sent out an e-mail today letting us know they bought an electronic stapler for us and that they also purchased another machine to help bind papers together for those who could benefit).

Thinking about it, though, I honestly think they are set on the idea of mandatory lecture because they treat and respect us as professionals (and expect professionalism). That's another thing.. the professors/faculty respect us.. not sure if I've ever had that in an academic setting so consistently until now (although it could happen at many med schools, I'm not sure :))

Best of luck to you all -- I'm honestly very grateful for the opportunity at this school. I was looking at other schools, too, but don't regret this for a second.

Just because it seems like you are implying otherwise, there is nothing to "do about it" but ask, either personally or through student leadership. Both have been done. It's just a simple conversation between adults. There is no pushback or demanding.

Attendance just isn't one of those things that is changing. I've never seen staff refuse the conversation but there is a firm belief that the habit of getting up and being somewhere on time, dressed properly, will benefit the class. I encourage all interviewing students to look at everything else the school offers and ask if mandatory attendance is more important to you.....because it's not changing. I genuinely like the staff and think most go out of their way to make things work for us. I'm happy. If you think mandatory attendance will make it impossible to be happy, you shouldn't go here.

Hey! I'm a first year :) I don't think there's been any real pushback.. at least from our class (especially since we're only 5 weeks in)...

I will say that they want to know how they can accommodate students and provide the best learning environment for them. They are always seeking our feedback and it seems like the faculty is pretty observant about even little things that could help (i.e. some people print out materials for lectures and some faculty members realized that staplers were being difficult, so--without being prompted, I believe--they sent out an e-mail today letting us know they bought an electronic stapler for us and that they also purchased another machine to help bind papers together for those who could benefit).

Thinking about it, though, I honestly think they are set on the idea of mandatory lecture because they treat and respect us as professionals (and expect professionalism). That's another thing.. the professors/faculty respect us.. not sure if I've ever had that in an academic setting so consistently until now (although it could happen at many med schools, I'm not sure :))

Best of luck to you all -- I'm honestly very grateful for the opportunity at this school. I was looking at other schools, too, but don't regret this for a second.

Just because it seems like you are implying otherwise, there is nothing to "do about it" but ask, either personally or through student leadership. Both have been done. It's just a simple conversation between adults. There is no pushback or demanding.

Attendance just isn't one of those things that is changing. I've never seen staff refuse the conversation but there is a firm belief that the habit of getting up and being somewhere on time, dressed properly, will benefit the class. I encourage all interviewing students to look at everything else the school offers and ask if mandatory attendance is more important to you.....because it's not changing. I genuinely like the staff and think most go out of their way to make things work for us. I'm happy. If you think mandatory attendance will make it impossible to be happy, you shouldn't go here.

Don't mind professionalism considering I've had a job for the last 9 years but do either of you find it challenging to find time to study when you're in class 8-5? Is there a lot of study time crammed in on the weekends?

And for you personally, do you guys learn better in a traditional classroom/lecture setting?

Anyone interviewed on Monday got a call yet? They said if not Thursday then next Thursday!!! Ughhh

I had to set my interview for 09/26. Do you guys think that is too late? Like will there still be seats left?

I had to set my interview for 09/26. Do you guys think that is too late? Like will there still be seats left?
I personally don't think it's late. I would consider late December and above late. If it helps, the first batch of interviews started on 8/14. CUSOM interviews 15 on average per day. That being said CUSOM will have process 200 interviews by your date. Remember they interview around 600-700. I wouldn't worry too much. Hope it helps and best of luck to you.

My friend interviewed here in November last cycle and was accepted.

II today!!! Got the call when I was on my lunch break!

Still need to decide a date since I don't know what days I can take off work.

I'm so excited! This school is definitely my top choice!!!!

Anyone interviewed on Monday got a call yet? They said if not Thursday then next Thursday!!! Ughhh
Hello! I interviewed on Monday as well. I believe they said at the end the soonest we would hear back is Sep 1 and the latest Sep 8. Due to the group meeting again on Sep 1!

USCSOM

This is from a school with a strong in state bias--only 15% OOS.
Definitely more IS bias, but MSAR is showing OOS made up about 26% of their matriculants. Plus idk if it helps, but my father lives in Lexington, which is basically Columbia.