2017-2018 Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-DO mods (AlteredScale, bacchus, or chizledfrmstone) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck to everyone applying! If you guys have any questions about interviews or anything else, feel free to ask! I'll be starting school at CUSOM in a month.

Good luck to everyone applying! If you guys have any questions about interviews or anything else, feel free to ask! I'll be starting school at CUSOM in a month.
I am curious as to what the interview format was like? Also, the school mission is somewhat vague, so what points would you suggest emphasizing if one receives a secondary invite? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am curious as to what the interview format was like? Also, the school mission is somewhat vague, so what points would you suggest emphasizing if one receives a secondary invite? Thanks!

The interview was 3 separate 1 on 1 interviews with various faculty (for me it was a Dean, MD, and a PhD). I personally liked this interview format because by the time I finished my second interview, my nerves had settled and it turned into more of a discussion rather than an interview.

The school's emphasis is on service in the Southeastern US (read: primary care in underserved areas). So it'd be best to show in secondaries how you're willing to work with the underserved. Even though it is a school that emphasizes primary care, it hasn't stopped our inaugural class matching into specialties outside of PC. I think it was 46% that matched non-PC specialties. There's tons of opportunities to do mission medicine and community volunteering, it's in your best interest to show an interest towards service and/or primary care.

The interview was 3 separate 1 on 1 interviews with various faculty (for me it was a Dean, MD, and a PhD). I personally liked this interview format because by the time I finished my second interview, my nerves had settled and it turned into more of a discussion rather than an interview.

The school's emphasis is on service in the Southeastern US (read: primary care in underserved areas). So it'd be best to show in secondaries how you're willing to work with the underserved. Even though it is a school that emphasizes primary care, it hasn't stopped our inaugural class matching into specialties outside of PC. I think it was 46% that matched non-PC specialties. There's tons of opportunities to do mission medicine and community volunteering, it's in your best interest to show an interest towards service and/or primary care.
Thank you so much for answering so thoroughly! I'm from NC and I want to do primary care so it looks like I made an excellent choice in choosing to apply here. What decisions led you to choose to go here?

Thank you so much for answering so thoroughly! I'm from NC and I want to do primary care so it looks like I made an excellent choice in choosing to apply here. What decisions led you to choose to go here?

I had a good amount of various EC's that revolved around helping underserved communities (don't want to get into specifics for anonymity). So when I was deciding which schools to apply to, I applied to this who had a focus on training students to work in health disparaged areas and have plenty of service opportunities for domestic/international communities.

I am in the same boat. I am willing to answer any questions that applicants may have. If you would rather PM me that works as well.

How is the area the school is located in? Are there many housing opportunities?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using SDN mobile

Tons of local places to stay. I just leased an apartment that's literally next to the undergrad campus (making it a 2 min drive from the med school). I think most students live in Fuquay-Varina (it's a 25-30 min commute though).

It's rural, but there are things like Chick-fil-A, Starbucks, Moe's, and a bunch of other restaurants, post office, coffee shops, and a bank near by. There's a Food Lion, Walmart, Best Buy, etc like 10-20 minutes away. But again, it's rural so don't expect major malls or anything like that.

As for fun things to do, most people to Fuquay-Varina or Raleigh which are 25-40 minutes away. There's a beach that I visited that was like an hour or so drive.

In other words, bring a car lol

I wasn't there long (just went to sign the lease) so maybe current students can comment further on the area.

Reactions: 1 user
Tons of local places to stay. I just leased an apartment that's literally next to the undergrad campus (making it a 2 min drive from the med school). I think most students live in Fuquay-Varina (it's a 25-30 min commute though).

It's rural, but there are things like Chick-fil-A, Starbucks, Moe's, and a bunch of other restaurants, post office, coffee shops, and a bank near by. There's a Food Lion, Walmart, Best Buy, etc like 10-20 minutes away. But again, it's rural so don't expect major malls or anything like that.

As for fun things to do, most people to Fuquay-Varina or Raleigh which are 25-40 minutes away. There's a beach that I visited that was like an hour or so drive.

In other words, bring a car lol

I wasn't there long (just went to sign the lease) so maybe current students can comment further on the area.

How much is the housing? I pay close to $800 a month. Is it possible to stay in that range for a two bdrm apartment or house here? Do most people that live in Fuquay-Varina commute to the school everyday, or just a few times per week?

How much is the housing? I pay close to $800 a month. Is it possible to stay in that range for a two bdrm apartment or house here? Do most people that live in Fuquay-Varina commute to the school everyday, or just a few times per week?
There is a lot of housing opportunities. I think quite a few new complexes have went up in the area because of the medical school and other graduate programs being added. I will be paying $425 a month for a brand new 3 bed/3 bath townhouse. That was probably one of the more expensive places near campus. I think people that are planning on living in Fuquay-Varina carpool with roommates. The attendance policy is pretty strict as of now so I would be guessing that they commute every day.

edit - nope, was wrong

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think I received this same email. It said the committee would meet and review my primary and they would keep me posted via email.

Did you receive an email before the secondary saying your application would be reviewed?

I also got the email notifying me that they received my app and would begin processing it soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle

How much is the housing? I pay close to $800 a month. Is it possible to stay in that range for a two bdrm apartment or house here? Do most people that live in Fuquay-Varina commute to the school every day, or just a few times per week?

My apartment is $525 in rent. Landlady said to expect $30-50 for water/sewer, $30-50 for electricity, and $55 for internet.

Attendance is mandatory at CUSOM on average of 30-35 hours/week, so that was the reason I decided not to live in Fuquay since the drive could be frustrating for someone like me who commuted to Atlanta for several years.

My apartment is $525 in rent. Landlady said to expect $30-50 for water/sewer, $30-50 for electricity, and $55 for internet.

Attendance is mandatory at CUSOM on average of 30-35 hours/week, so that was the reason I decided not to live in Fuquay since the drive could be frustrating for someone like me who commuted to Atlanta for several years.

Oh wow, mandatory attendance?

How does that work out for most people?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Oh wow, mandatory attendance?

How does that work out for most people?

I haven't heard of anyone complain too much of the attendance policy in school (again, I'll be starting school so I don't know much on the attendance policy thoughts on students, just based off my experience during interviews and the class Facebook group).

All I can say I'm sure it's just a matter of having a good study schedule. I actually liked the schedule because it's not a "strict" 8-5 every week.

For example, if you have an anatomy practical exam at 2pm, you will have "study time" (aka no lecture from 8-1pm). So there are breaks built in to accommodate tests.

Even days before exams, you'll have time to study by having days off.

There's also time off depending on which group you're split into (so either you're in Group A that has anatomy lab/OMM lab first, or you're in Group B that has anatomy lab/OMM lab second. Both groups will get equal time off to study.)

Then mostly in MS2, you're there from 8-12 most days (since you're done with anatomy lab after your first year), so you have more time to board prep and study for classes.

So don't worry about having no time to study in my opinion considering all the breaks and such. Just have a good study schedule to help avoid falling behind.

Lectures are video recorded, so you can watch them later or during class with headphones on (can't wear headphones during guest lectures which is fair I guess.)

Yesterday I received the email confirming my app was received! How does the screening process work?

Do they let you know if you are rejected pre-secondary or will you just not hear anything?

I received the email saying that my application will be under review on 6/21. I am OOS resident. Is that why I haven't received further notifications yet?

secondary questions?

What five qualities do you feel you bring to CUSOM that would enhance the overall climate of our school? How do these qualities meet the CUSOM mission?

Osteopathic medicine parallels allopathic medicine but has principles and practices that are distinct. Which of these principles and practices are of greatest interest to you and why?

(2,000 character limit)

I received the email saying that my application will be under review on 6/21. I am OOS resident. Is that why I haven't received further notifications yet?

Hm... I'm out of state too. You should be hearing back soon! What are your stats? The school is heavy on medical missions and serving the rural areas. Do you have any of those things?

What five qualities do you feel you bring to CUSOM that would enhance the overall climate of our school? How do these qualities meet the CUSOM mission?

Osteopathic medicine parallels allopathic medicine but has principles and practices that are distinct. Which of these principles and practices are of greatest interest to you and why?

(2,000 character limit)
Thank you :)

Hm... I'm out of state too. You should be hearing back soon! What are your stats? The school is heavy on medical missions and serving the rural areas. Do you have any of those things?

Yep I have a ton of that experience and I emphasized it in my experiences and my personal statement. I will just wait and see. Maybe I'll give the admissions office a call tomorrow morning too.

Stats are alright
GPA: 3.6
MCAT: 498 -- waiting for new score on July 6
Tons of research and volunteering hours

I'm in state and still haven't heard anything...but hoping a secondary is coming!

Yep I have a ton of that experience and I emphasized it in my experiences and my personal statement. I will just wait and see. Maybe I'll give the admissions office a call tomorrow morning too.

Stats are alright
GPA: 3.6
MCAT: 498 -- waiting for new score on July 6
Tons of research and volunteering hours

Crossing my fingers for you :)

Still no secondary here either. Submitted June 7th. Under review email June 21st.

~3.5 gpa 510+ MCAT.

Hopefully secondary will come soon!

86b5cb28786d9c1076975f656309ecd2.jpg

Anyone else get this email in addition to the initial email they sent?

Still awaiting a secondary. 3.99 cGPA and 508 MCAT

Did you just get this email? I have only gotten the under review on June 21st and haven't heard anything yet since then. Wishing you luck!
Just got this email an hour ago. I got the under review email June 21st as well as this one. Hopefully there aren't any red flags on it causing the delay...