2017-2018 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who have interviewed, did you all take anything to the interview? I'm interviewing tomorrow and I'm wondering if I should take a notepad or anything else I might need

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For those who have interviewed, did you all take anything to the interview? I'm interviewing tomorrow and I'm wondering if I should take a notepad or anything else I might need

I haven't interviewed yet but I'm bringing a professional binder/portfolio and just putting a pad of paper and a pen in there

Reactions: 1 users
From my past interview experience, a pen and paper was helpful if I wanted to write something down..lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't interviewed yet but I'm bringing a professional binder/portfolio and just putting a pad of paper and a pen in there

Also bring your aacomas application. I'm planning on going over that during down time (and staying off my phone).

Reactions: 2 users

Also good luck tomorrow!!

Just got to Las Cruces, looking forward to meeting everyone tomorrow!

Follow up: For those who have already interviewed, do we need to bring anything?

Also bring your aacomas application. I'm planning on going over that during down time (and staying off my phone).

You guys do not need to bring anything, other than a pen, to the actual interview.

Bringing your entire AACOMAS application is ridiculous, lol.

Bringing your entire AACOMAS application is ridiculous, lol.

It's great for staying sharp and getting in the zone. Bringing a list of your activities and a copy of PS would probably work just as well. To each his/her own.

It's great for staying sharp and getting in the zone. Bringing a list of your activities and a copy of PS would probably work just as well. To each his/her own.

I am bringing mine too :)

I agree. Def not ridiculous if you haven't looked at it since submission. It's good to know your application front and back, esp your experiences that they'll probably be asking about.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree. Def not ridiculous if you haven't looked at it since submission. It's good to know your application front and back, esp your experiences that they'll probably be asking about.
It is fine to bring your application with you if you want to look it over on an airplane/in your hotel room, etc.

But it is absolutely ridiculous to bring your entire printed out AACOMAS application (and any other documents for that matter) to the interview itself.

As someone who has been on multiple interviews thus far, nobody has done that. Nobody. It makes no sense. The school has all the info they need on you. Just bring yourself.

It is fine to bring your application with you if you want to look it over on an airplane/in your hotel room, etc.

But it is absolutely ridiculous to bring your entire printed out AACOMAS application (and any other documents for that matter) to the interview itself.

As someone who has been on multiple interviews thus far, nobody has done that. Nobody. It makes no sense. The school has all the info they need on you. Just bring yourself.

I think it's been made clear bringing the app is not for the school but for ourselves.

You haven't done that and that's fine. Good for you.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
interview invite! anyone else going October 11th?

Complete date?

So I was complete with them August 3rd I believe, but they called me on the 23rd of August saying that the two English classes I picked didnt meet the requirements for their pre-req and if I wanted to use other English courses I took instead, so I guess after that phone call I was "complete" because thats when they forwarded everything for review.

So I was complete with them August 3rd I believe, but they called me on the 23rd of August saying that the two English classes I picked didnt meet the requirements for their pre-req and if I wanted to use other English courses I took instead, so I guess after that phone call I was "complete" because thats when they forwarded everything for review.
Oh wow that was pretty fast. Congrats!! :)

Just received an interview invite, before I accept, What am I supposed to do for financial aid if they don't offer it until the 2nd year?

Just received an interview invite, before I accept, What am I supposed to do for financial aid if they don't offer it until the 2nd year?
Walk in to Wells Fargo or a Sallie Mae institution and ask for a med school loan. Then shop the interest rate they give you around too other Banks until you find the best deal.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Last edited:
And find a cosigner with an 800+ credit score if you don't have a score that high.

II earlier this morning. Plan on going to the Oct 20th date.

was II via email?

Mine was via email. And also the page that you submitted the secondary on adds an interview tab to schedule and stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a II today! Interview set for Sept 29 :)

I submitted my secondary last monday and never got a complete email. Does BCOM send out "under review emails", or should I call them?

I submitted my secondary last monday and never got a complete email. Does BCOM send out "under review emails", or should I call them?
I did not get a secondary confirmation email. I have actually been tracking dates as well to see lengths of time for each school.
- I submitted my primary on Friday July 21, 2017
- No primary submission confirmation
- Secondary invite came on Monday July 24, 2017
- I submitted my secondary on Wednesday July 26, 2017
- No secondary submission confirmation
- I received my interview invite on Wednesday August 23, 2017

I hope this helps?

Hi everyone! I need a second opinion on what to do for the optional portion of the secondary. I'm a non traditional student with a previous career as an architect so I was contemplating doing a drawing and sending it in, since I've had years of rendering and drafting experience. Do you guys think that would be ok or is it better to just do the video? any input would be much appreciated!

Hi everyone! I need a second opinion on what to do for the optional portion of the secondary. I'm a non traditional student with a previous career as an architect so I was contemplating doing a drawing and sending it in, since I've had years of rendering and drafting experience. Do you guys think that would be ok or is it better to just do the video? any input would be much appreciated!

I think anything showing something that you are passionate about would be good. They say this is an attempt to get to know you better. If it is something that you are proud of and something you put a lot of time and effort into I don't see how it could be a bad idea.

Accepted! I think I'll probably end up going to this school. My take based on the interview was that they are really looking for people who know the mission and can demonstrate that they are committed to serving New Mexico and the Latino population. They also wanted to know about study habits and how you plan to succeed. The dean led with a "scared straight" speech, but don't let him scare you! The staff and faculty seem friendly and supportive and even though the financial aid won't be offered until 2nd year, the financial aid office seems very on it. Also, the faculty that interviewed me came from previous medical schools and have a lot of experience which was very reassuring since it is a newer school. The medical school students and interview group was very collaborative and there was a lot of support there so it didn't feel like a cut-throat medical environment, which is refreshing. Best of luck to everyone, you got this!
How are you going to pay for your first year then?

How are you going to pay for your first year then?
Federal aid isn't an option yet (should be soon). Everyone uses Sallie Mae/Wells Fargo. There are other lenders we have like the State of NM, but those other two are the big ones

Federal aid isn't an option yet (should be soon). Everyone uses Sallie Mae/Wells Fargo. There are other lenders we have like the State of NM, but those other two are the big ones

If you don't mind me asking how are the interest rates for these? Are they comparable or do they have pretty outrageous rates? Also to use the State of NM as a lender do you need to be a resident or is that open to everyone?

Interest rates will be variable depending on credit score and if you have a solid cosigner. Probably would be difficult to get the same rate the feds give.

Interest rates will be variable depending on credit score and if you have a solid cosigner. Probably would be difficult to get the same rate the feds give.

That's what I was thinking. I've only heard of using sallie mae and Wells Fargo as sub prime mortgage lenders so I wasn't sure if even with a decent credit score these would be higher. But I think ur right about the hard to beat federal loan interest rates. Does anyone know about using NM as a lender as far as interest rates and whether or not you need to be a NM resident to use them?

I have undergrad loans from SM and WF. They beat federal unsubsidized rate (6.25% vs 6.8 from the Feds) and didn't charge an initiation fee. That said, my credit score is 700+ and I had an 800+ consigner.

Not sure how they do it for med school though.

Sept 8th interview peeps, when are all you awesome people flying in? I think I land in El Paso around 630... probably will rent a car to the hotel. Anyone wanna hang out?!

If you don't mind me asking how are the interest rates for these? Are they comparable or do they have pretty outrageous rates? Also to use the State of NM as a lender do you need to be a resident or is that open to everyone?

My first year I had good credit but owned a home so I sold it and paid off debt and lowered the overall debt I owed since that was a big deal for Wells Fargo. I was in the 8% range that year but was at like 7 or 7.1% this year when I applied again with sallie mae. Several classmates have below fed rate loans. I've heard of someone in the 2% ranges and then there's a few people that rolled the dice and are doing variable rates and they're around 4% right now.

NM doesn't offer the full COA loan but you can fill the rest in with another provider. They just required that you were going to BCOM from what I remember. They give out lower rates than WF and SM and are easy to work with. I borrowed like 20k from NM and then the rest Sallie Mae

Sept 8th interview peeps, when are all you awesome people flying in? I think I land in El Paso around 630... probably will rent a car to the hotel. Anyone wanna hang out?!

@harkas and I are interviewing on the 8th as well!

Anyone interviewing sept 11th?! Landing in on sat :]

Last edited:
Peeps who've already interviewed...what time did interview day actually end for you? On the site where I confirm my date, it states ~1:30PM. I'm in the process of booking flights and after the interview I'm planning on heading directly to the airport in El Paso for probably a 6:30PM flight.

Also, I'm the kinda person who likes to be at the airport hours before takeoff...can anyone speak to how busy the El Paso airport gets? Not LAX status hopefully? ;)

Peeps who've already interviewed...what time did interview day actually end for you? On the site where I confirm my date, it states ~1:30PM. I'm in the process of booking flights and after the interview I'm planning on heading directly to the airport in El Paso for probably a 6:30PM flight.

Also, I'm the kinda person who likes to be at the airport hours before takeoff...can anyone speak to how busy the El Paso airport gets? Not LAX status hopefully? ;)

Ended at about 1:15pm

I'm from El Paso and our airport isn't too bad. I think you should be safe with a 630 flight. I typically arrive anywhere between an hour to an hour and a half before my flight

El Paso airport is dead. I managed to eat, change, and make a 6:50 flight out.

anyone know when people have gotten taken off the waitlist in the past?
IIRC, going through threads from years past, movement on the waitlist started late spring. However, as things are always fluid I am sure they can happen way before that or up to the first week of class. Anyways, I may be wrong so please correct me if this doesn't sound right or if someone can find a concrete date.