2017-2018 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have not interviewed yet and there is no Documents tab on my portal
Hmm...

Maybe that's why they haven't sent out decision to applicants that already interviewed? They realized that they've changed everyone's portal and just meant to do people who interviewed?

At this point I'm coming up with pointless hypothesis lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hmm...

Maybe that's why they haven't sent out decision to applicants that already interviewed? They realized that they've changed everyone's portal and just meant to do people who interviewed?

At this point I'm coming up with pointless hypothesis lol.

I wouldn't start panicking about not hearing back today for another 3 hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't interviewed til next week but i only have the Home, Interview, and Supplemental Application tab

Reactions: 1 user
For anyone who interviewed: did you hear or ask anything about financial aid? Do you know what the consensus is on when they will get federal loans for their students?

II! just now via email.

What a day for parslea.

Reactions: 3 users
III!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
For anyone who interviewed: did you hear or ask anything about financial aid? Do you know what the consensus is on when they will get federal loans for their students?
They can apply August 2018 for the Federal loans and after that it takes 3-9 months for approval. Basically they will be eligible to give Federal loans sometime between December 2018 and May 2019, depending on how quickly the approval takes. The lady said she will do everything she can to speed up that process, but for now our first year would have to be covered by private loans.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I hope I'm next with an II.. I want to join ya'll!!

Reactions: 1 users
Just scheduled it for 9/20. Is there a bus that goes from El Paso to Las Cruces or do you gotta rent a car?

Members don't see this ad :)
Scheduled 8/30!

Just scheduled it for 9/20. Is there a bus that goes from El Paso to Las Cruces or do you gotta rent a car?

There's a shuttle from the El Paso airport to Las Cruces.

Anyone else scheduled for 9/29? I just rented a rental car. Figured I'd hang out for the whole weekend.

Rejected. Post interview. Good luck to everyone else!

I'm sorry to hear that! But based on your stats, you seem like a great student and you'll probably get in elsewhere.

Can I ask how you feel the interview went?

I'm sorry to hear that! But based on your stats, you seem like a great student and you'll probably get in elsewhere.

Can I ask how you feel the interview went?
Thanks, hopefully I can get an acceptance somewhere else.

I did not feel like I performed well in the interview. I think my interview was the reason I was rejected, but who knows. On the bright side it was a bit of a wake up call to prepare better for the next ones.

Accepted!!! :soexcited:

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Thanks, hopefully I can get an acceptance somewhere else.

I did not feel like I performed well in the interview. I think my interview was the reason I was rejected, but who knows. On the bright side it was a bit of a wake up call to prepare better for the next ones.

Yes I know what you mean. I'm a fairly good interviewer yet someone asked me why I wanted to go into medicine the other day and I didn't know how to answer. Mock interviews are super helpful

Yes I know what you mean. I'm a fairly good interviewer yet someone asked me why I wanted to go into medicine the other day and I didn't know how to answer. Mock interviews are super helpful
Yeah for sure. I've done a couple mock interviews, but a few questions caught me off guard.

It's a great school with super nice facilities and a really friendly staff. The students were also awesome and send super cool. However, I got weird vibes from the Dean and it didn't feel like the place for me personally so my lack of excitement might have been part of it as well.

I got an email saying I was waitlisted, but have an admissions tab/acceptance tab on my portal. Anyone else have this happen?

I got an email saying I was waitlisted, but have an admissions tab/acceptance tab on my portal. Anyone else have this happen?
Waitlisted as well! The wait continues lol. Hm, that's peculiar. Let me check

Accepted!!! First one! Beyond excited!

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats to all those who were accepted! What was the schedule for the day like for those who interviewed on Monday?

Congrats to all those who were accepted! What was the schedule for the day like for those who interviewed on Monday?

Check in, dean talks, split into 2 groups, 1 goes and interviews while the other gets the tour, then switch. In the end, some final presentations on curriculum and financial aid while you eat lunch.

Accepted! I think I'll probably end up going to this school. My take based on the interview was that they are really looking for people who know the mission and can demonstrate that they are committed to serving New Mexico and the Latino population. They also wanted to know about study habits and how you plan to succeed. The dean led with a "scared straight" speech, but don't let him scare you! The staff and faculty seem friendly and supportive and even though the financial aid won't be offered until 2nd year, the financial aid office seems very on it. Also, the faculty that interviewed me came from previous medical schools and have a lot of experience which was very reassuring since it is a newer school. The medical school students and interview group was very collaborative and there was a lot of support there so it didn't feel like a cut-throat medical environment, which is refreshing. Best of luck to everyone, you got this!

Reactions: 9 users
Just cancelled my interview here for next week. Sounds like a great school. Congrats to all those with II and acceptances

Is there anything in particular those that have interviewed would recommend doing to prepare prior to the interview?

I am so excited to see the campus! New Mexico is such an enchanting and beautiful state. I can't hardly wait for another month until my interview.
What day are you interviewing? I got September 29th.

When you guys go down, if you get there early enough, try and grab a frozen custard at Caliches! A bunch of us from SDN did a meet up there and it was a lot of fun.

Anyone who i interviewing on the 29th of September let us know. We have started a group message so we can possibly coordinate a meet up after the interview.

When you guys go down, if you get there early enough, try and grab a frozen custard at Caliches! A bunch of us from SDN did a meet up there and it was a lot of fun.
Anyone who i interviewing on the 29th of September let us know. We have started a group message so we can possibly coordinate a meet up after the interview.

Love this. If anyone wants to meet up for the September 8th date, let me know! :)

Love this. If anyone wants to meet up for the September 8th date, let me know! :)

Hey! My interview is also on the 8th if you want to get together! I am getting there on the 7th :)