2017-2018 Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bumping this because I have the same question. Studying abroad or trained in different fields doesn't really apply to me.
I was thinking of talking about interdisciplinary experiences, but not sure if that answers the prompt well? What do you folks think

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
BU is asking if I took my pre-req at a community college or not, does that mean they value that a lot? I am a transfer student and took almost all of my prerequisites at a community college, should I not even bother applying to them? I transferred to a UC and have a 3.8 GPA with an MCAT of 509
Thanks!

if my school is on the quarter system does that mean you can't count one class as "1" on their pre-req formula sheet?

Members don't see this ad :)
You probably should have just typed this on the specific secondary thread. However, I think each quarter counts as 0.67 of a semester, which you would then round to 1.

I could have sworn they showed the conversion on there

3 quarters = 2 semesters = 1 year is what most schools go by

LOL i feel foolish; I've been putting this one off for days because it looked complicated - turns out there is not even any essays! XD

In the prerequisites grid, is it worth it to put my AP credit, if I have college courses that cover their requirements?

For the "Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us" prompt, should I talk about my two study abroad experiences if I've already listed them in my AMCAS activities? I also made one of them a most meaningful activity, so I've already written quite a bit about it. I don't want to be repetitive, but I don't know if they'll be looking at my primary and secondary at the same time. I also don't know what else I would put down. Has anyone left all of the optional essays blank?

Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

"Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us."

If I applied to medical school (not BU) before and didn't get in do I need to talk about that in this box, or is that not what it is asking?
I would not include that. You're basically bringing attention to something negative: "hey I already applied and didn't get in"... I like to use secondaries to bring up stuff about me that will strengthen my application.

For the "Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us" prompt, should I talk about my two study abroad experiences if I've already listed them in my AMCAS activities? I also made one of them a most meaningful activity, so I've already written quite a bit about it. I don't want to be repetitive, but I don't know if they'll be looking at my primary and secondary at the same time. I also don't know what else I would put down. Has anyone left all of the optional essays blank?

Can you think of ANYTHING else? This is real estate you wouldn't want to pass on -- with so many applicants, it's nice to say something interesting about yourself to stand out. But don't be repetitive, I agree. I filled out everything except for the one they say "most applicants leave this blank." On the others I expanded upon stuff that I didn't have the chance to elaborate much on in my primary app.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doing the secondary now. For the "prerequisite grid" section, it is pretty unclear as to whether it wants you to put how many semesters you've done in the subjects in general, or just the prereqs. For example, Would I put "2" semesters under biological sciences (BIO I, BIO II), or would I add courses like microbiology, molecular biology, etc?
I don't know if it's too late to answer this question (and you've already submitted your app), but the prompt says "Indicate how many lecture-only, lecture with lab, or lab only semester taken in each subject." It doesn't say "just put in the minimum," like a lot of schools ask. It seems like they want everything. That's what I did, at least.

"Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us."

Would it be appropriate to use this as an opportunity to discuss the positives, in terms of cultural diversity and skills, of attending low-income "underperforming" public schools?

I don't know if it's too late to answer this question (and you've already submitted your app), but the prompt says "Indicate how many lecture-only, lecture with lab, or lab only semester taken in each subject." It doesn't say "just put in the minimum," like a lot of schools ask. It seems like they want everything. That's what I did, at least.

Hopefully they don't hold it against me for only putting the minimum lol. I mean its not like they have my official transcripts or anything..

Would it be appropriate to use this as an opportunity to discuss the positives, in terms of cultural diversity and skills, of attending low-income "underperforming" public schools?
Yeah definitely! I also kinda used it as a diversity essay :)

just received a complete e-mail (took about a week even though my letters and MCAT scores were in!)

just received a complete e-mail (took about a week even though my letters and MCAT scores were in!)
I'm on the same boat you were. Everything is in, but they do seem to take longer than most other schools in sending you that "complete" email. Still waiting on mine!

Does anyone know how lax BU is on the LOR requirement? I emailed them and they said there is a section to explain substitutions but I'm just curious whether or not that is still a death sentence. Has anyone or does anyone know of people who have still gotten II's/acceptances without 2 science letters?

Second Science letter writer ghosting me lmao so not sure I will be able to come up with another one so late in the game.

For the first question about if you're going straight to med school- I'm not- did you guys take this opportunity to write about what you learned from the stuff in your time off or just matter of fact "I worked and took post bacc classes" type thing?

For the first question about if you're going straight to med school- I'm not- did you guys take this opportunity to write about what you learned from the stuff in your time off or just matter of fact "I worked and took post bacc classes" type thing?

I was pretty straightforward since I wanted to list everything I've been up to since graduation/what I'll be doing next, but I think it's also a great idea to include a brief explanation of what you've learned. As long as you make it brief and don't use most of the space talking about learning (since that would be deviating from the original question), I think it's fine.

I've got a question: So I was notified by BU and a couple other schools that one of my letters is missing a signature, and I'm in the process of fixing it. Now i'm a bit paranoid because I'll be sure to notify the schools who had an issue with it that it that it's fixed, but I'm not sure if I should email all my other schools just to say that I've updated the letter to have a signature (I'm complete at almost all those schools already so I'm just not sure if it matters or not)-Obviously the new letter is broadcasted via AMCAS to all schools but I'm not sure If I need to provide each school with an update. Sorry if this is a bit convoluted

I've got a question: So I was notified by BU and a couple other schools that one of my letters is missing a signature, and I'm in the process of fixing it. Now i'm a bit paranoid because I'll be sure to notify the schools who had an issue with it that it that it's fixed, but I'm not sure if I should email all my other schools just to say that I've updated the letter to have a signature (I'm complete at almost all those schools already so I'm just not sure if it matters or not)-Obviously the new letter is broadcasted via AMCAS to all schools but I'm not sure If I need to provide each school with an update. Sorry if this is a bit convoluted

I think there is a way you can upload the new letter over the old one using the same letter ID on amcas? And then it automatically transmits or something? I swear I read something like that on here somewhere...

I would definitely inform the other schools though!

I think there is a way you can upload the new letter over the old one using the same letter ID on amcas? And then it automatically transmits or something? I swear I read something like that on here somewhere...

I would definitely inform the other schools though!
Yeah the new one would automatically be uploaded over the old one. I was more so curious if it's even necessary to email every school, even though they didn't email me with an issue about the letter and marked my file as complete anyways.

I would not include that. You're basically bringing attention to something negative: "hey I already applied and didn't get in"... I like to use secondaries to bring up stuff about me that will strengthen my application.

I agree, which is why I ended up using that box to talk about my SMP.

However, there is also another section that asks about gaps between undergrad and applying to Boston. Even though I didn't apply to BU during my first cycle I feel like it would be disingenuous to not mention why I waited an entire year to enter my SMP. I feel like that box is essentially a way for them to determine who applied to medical school after graduating.

I agree, which is why I ended up using that box to talk about my SMP.

However, there is also another section that asks about gaps between undergrad and applying to Boston. Even though I didn't apply to BU during my first cycle I feel like it would be disingenuous to not mention why I waited an entire year to enter my SMP. I feel like that box is essentially a way for them to determine who applied to medical school after graduating.
There's plenty of reasons why someone would take a gap year other than not getting into med school. I took a gap year before applying and I'm a first-time applicant. But if you'd feel more comfortable including that about yourself, go ahead. It's your application and you're free to interpret the question as you wish. I'm just saying that if I was in your shoes, I would probably not mention it.

There's plenty of reasons why someone would take a gap year other than not getting into med school. I took a gap year before applying and I'm a first-time applicant. But if you'd feel more comfortable including that about yourself, go ahead. It's your application and you're free to interpret the question as you wish. I'm just saying that if I was in your shoes, I would probably not mention it.

Theoretically, if I did receive an interview it would most likely come up so wouldn't it look suspicious as to why I neglected to mention that? I get your point, but I just don't want to come across as trying to "side-step" them so to speak. However, I am going to think about it some more.

Theoretically, if I did receive an interview it would most likely come up so wouldn't it look suspicious as to why I neglected to mention that? I get your point, but I just don't want to come across as trying to "side-step" them so to speak. However, I am going to think about it some more.
Sounds good, my friend!:)

Did you go on to college directly after high school? If no, explain (1400 char)
Are you expecting to go on to medical school directly after completing your undergraduate degree? If no, explain (1400 char)

Optional:
If you have spent more than 4 years as an undergraduate, please explain below. (1400 char)
Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us. (2000 char)
Use the space below to provide additional information you feel will provide us with a comprehensive understanding of your strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. (3000 char)
This section may be used by re-applicants who wish to highlight specific areas of their application or to outline specific changes since their last application. (3000 char)

There are also boxes to explain lack of commitee letter or substitute letters (2000 char each)

Where and when did you get secondaries for BU? Are the questions above for this 2017 application cycle? (I applied and the only question I can find is the optional, is there anything not on AMCAS that you think we should know about why you would make a good candidate, or something like that from the supplemental information section of the BU online account. I hope this makes sense.)

Where and when did you get secondaries for BU? Are the questions above for this 2017 application cycle? (I applied and the only question I can find is the optional, is there anything not on AMCAS that you think we should know about why you would make a good candidate, or something like that from the supplemental information section of the BU online account. I hope this makes sense.)
From @Hau5MD

Do we need to fill in the box asking for an elaboration on why we don't have a committee letter if our undergraduate institution doesn't provide them?

Yeah the new one would automatically be uploaded over the old one. I was more so curious if it's even necessary to email every school, even though they didn't email me with an issue about the letter and marked my file as complete anyways.

This happened to me as well and I did not email them because no one else had a problem with not having a letterhead/signature! I would not think it would set back our applications since all of mine were marked complete prior to the updated letters. AMCAS said that all schools will receive both letters and that when they look at them, they will understand when the only difference is an added signature.

Anyone know if BU is receptive to in the area emails?

Edit: Nvm. Per their website, they conduct interviews from Oct to Feb. Will be in the area too early unfortunately.

Last edited:
Bruh this app interface is a tragedy

Reactions: 6 users
Sorry to double post but the two essays (educational history and "optional") are SO similar I'm not really sure what to do with them. What I've written fits in the optional section but not the educational history section, should I just pick one?

Sorry to double post but the two essays (educational history and "optional") are SO similar I'm not really sure what to do with them. What I've written fits in the optional section but not the educational history section, should I just pick one?

It looks like you have 2 choices:
1. Paste an essay in the box that doesn't answer the prompt
2. Put it in the optional box

Reactions: 3 users
II! Got an e-mail while at work; OOS LizzyM ~81 Complete on Jul 12th

Reactions: 3 users
II here as well. Complete 7/17 LizzyM 77

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Congrats all! Any MAMS ppl grab an II?

Not at this school but at a different school when it asks for a nickname I wrote "N/A" and when i check my application status it says " N/A's application status" i hope this doesn't sink me....

EDIT: Called them and they fixed it :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users