2017-2018 Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine (MWU-AZCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As far as post acceptance rate, I don't have a number but the stat thrown around is 75%. I do know that a lot of the people who interviewed earlier were accepted and I didn't interview until March and got off the waitlist in July Actually, most of my group was accepted. Though I will say they love putting people on the waitlist. Though, I wouldn't worry about that right now. Focus on doing well on the interview and obsessively look at the acceptance portal after.

Oh wow I did not realize the acceptance rate is that high I am pretty excited now to have a II from here

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, congrats on all the interviews! I'm a current Dental Student at Midwestern with an extra room that is listed on Airbnb. I stayed at airbnb's for all my interviews and tried to stay where current students lived so it gave me a better feel of what it would be like, and I loved it!

Good luck to you all!

Hi Terrin,

Just my personal opinion, but I would be careful as to putting your picture and your listing onto a public forum. While most of us are great people, these listings can show up on 3rd party search sites. You'd be surprised how much information one can gather with your username and airbnb posting. I would suggest to tell people to PM you rather than leaving it on here.

BTW, I have a friend currently at NMSU!

Reactions: 1 users
Oh wow I did not realize the acceptance rate is that high I am pretty excited now to have a II from here
Be careful. I'm going based on hear say. Plus it changes year to year based on the competitiveness of candidates.

Hi Terrin,

Just my personal opinion, but I would be careful as to putting your picture and your listing onto a public forum. While most of us are great people, these listings can show up on 3rd party search sites. You'd be surprised how much information one can gather with your username and airbnb posting. I would suggest to tell people to PM you rather than leaving it on here.

BTW, I have a friend currently at NMSU!

Agreed. You don't know who is reading.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, congrats on all the interviews! I'm a current Dental Student at Midwestern with an extra room that is listed on Airbnb. I stayed at airbnb's for all my interviews and tried to stay where current students lived so it gave me a better feel of what it would be like, and I loved it!

If you're a first time airbnb user this is my referral link which gives you $40 off your first stay at any airbnb.
Get $40 off your first adventure!

This is the link to my room
Private Room and Bathroom - Apartments for Rent in Glendale, Arizona, United States

Good luck to you all!
Hi there, I'm going to be interviewing here tomorrow. The school's website gives a cursory description of the program and the typical things for any DO program. What do you think sets AZCOM apart/makes it special? Thanks for your help!

Don't stress yourself out. If they chose you for an interview, they are interested in you. You have something to offer!

Next, for political/social issues, the main point is to explore the idea and understand both sides (well demonstrate you understand both sides). For example, for vaccinations don't just say "People who vaccinate their kids should be forced to listen to Madonna until they do". Instead, say something like "Vaccination is the best choice but patients don't always make the best choices for them. It's important to understand why they are making that choice and provide them with all the relevant information. " I did get asked about antibiotics abuse and did get a fact wrong, but instead of panicking, I explained the gap in my knowledge and it leads to an interesting conversation with one of my interviewers. Point being, don't try to make up facts and answer the best you can. These questions are about seeing can you think about an issue critically (part of which is understanding which pieces of info you may not fully know).

I will suggest the youtube series Healthcare Triage, which explains a lot of the issues very well.

They also don't seem to nitpick answers much. They may ask for you to elaborate, but it won't ever be excessive.

Main advice is, don't overthink this interview. The adcom isn't trying to trick you and the dean really seems sincere about looking at the entire applicant. Just be as calm as possible (easier said then done I know) and give complete answers. It will probably turn into more of a conversation rather than an interview in 5 min.
Thank you so much for all of this!! It really helps calm my nerves. I had been almost regretting my decision to grab an interview so soon, but now I'm glad I did. I'll just try and be confident and not get too tripped up. Hopefully it's just like you said and it turns conversational quick. I'm non-trad and think I'll have plenty they'll be interested in. Thanks for the advice and vote of confidence! and I will definitely have to check out that YouTube channel. I downloaded like seven podcast stations yesterday that have to do with the healthcare field I was hoping to listen to those on the drive but none of them seemed to be what I was looking for so that'll be great

Last edited:
Have an interview here tomorrow morning! Does anyone know if the interviews are closed or open file?

Anyone staying at the Drury Inn Monday night for Tuesday interview?

How many ppl are interviewed on interview day? 10ish?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just interviewed. Great school and great area. Seriously considering attending here if offered acceptance!

Just interviewed. Great school and great area. Seriously considering attending here if offered acceptance!
Do you feel like it was a pretty stress-free interview? Yeah that's what I've heard from everyone, the interview day sells them pretty well on the school. I'm super excited! Do you feel like you did well?

Do you feel like it was a pretty stress-free interview? Yeah that's what I've heard from everyone, the interview day sells them pretty well on the school. I'm super excited! Do you feel like you did well?

Personally, they didn't sell me as hard as other schools have. And the interview itself was also more serious than the other schools I've been to. That was just my experience though, talking to the others I felt like this wasn't consistent

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yeah mine was relaxed. I recommend sdn school specific interview threads for prep. AZCOM definitely does a great interview day.

Personally, they didn't sell me as hard as other schools have. And the interview itself was also more serious than the other schools I've been to. That was just my experience though, talking to the others I felt like this wasn't consistent

I feel like most of the "selling" comes from their established and proven curriculum that leads to great board scores. All of the other stuff is icing on the cake. Their approach is: "yeah we know we are expensive, but look at the results..."

Students who interviewed today - what was the best resource for preparing? Were they all ethical questions?

Reactions: 1 user
What did y'all bring to the interview / suggest we bring?

Hey people who interviewed today or go to school here, I just got in and I tried to go there and make sure I knew exactly where to park and what building to go to but everything is closed off. Is there anywhere specific we're supposed to park or not allowed to park if we drove?

Last edited:
Does anyone know how soon after the interview they give a decision? So excited to interview here!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Hey people who interviewed today or go to school here, I just got in and I tried to go there and make sure I knew exactly where to park and what building to go to but everything is closed off. Is there anywhere specific we're supposed to park or not allowed to park if we drove?

You can park anywhere as parking is free/without permit during interview days. When you are facing the main entrance (with the water fountains) you want to turn right and head towards Barrel II if I remembered correctly.

Does anyone know how soon after the interview they give a decision? So excited to interview here!

I heard back ballpark 7-10 days.

Who else is interviewing tomorrow? Super excited!

Not sure about the vibe I got from this school. interview day was ok, I felt similar to one of the poster who said they didn't feel "welcome", one of the deans gave a presentation but felt very lackluster, he didn't seem excited at all. I still don't feel like the tuition is justified at all, one of the students mentioned because of the teaching faculty being PhDs, most, if not all, medical schools are taught by PhDs and tuition is much, much, less. Class size is huge which is another factor, doesn't seem like you'd get to know the class well enough. Just my 2 cents, many people may have had more positive experiences but this was just mine.

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure about the vibe I got from this school. interview day was ok, I felt similar to one of the poster who said they didn't feel "welcome", one of the deans gave a presentation but felt very lackluster, he didn't seem excited at all. I still don't feel like the tuition is justified at all, one of the students mentioned because of the teaching faculty being PhDs, most, if not all, medical schools are taught by PhDs and tuition is much, much, less. Class size is huge which is another factor, doesn't seem like you'd get to know the class well enough. Just my 2 cents, many people may have had more positive experiences but this was just mine.

Appreciate the take!

Hm...I'm really curious how the wait list works and if they review people in order of the wait list. I'm wait listed to but trying to remain positive. It definitely isn't a rejection so there is hope.

Hm...I'm really curious how the wait list works and if they review people in order of the wait list. I'm wait listed to but trying to remain positive. It definitely isn't a rejection so there is hope.
I think people were saying they review the waitlist in January and extend IIs from there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I think people were saying they review the waitlist in January and extend IIs from there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Spoke w/ one of the admissions counselors recently. I was put on an interview waitlist about 3 weeks ago. He recommended that I retake my MCAT and try to score a 507+. Def not going down that path again... lol

Spoke w/ one of the admissions counselors recently. I was put on an interview waitlist about 3 weeks ago. He recommended that I retake my MCAT and try to score a 507+. Def not going down that path again... lol
Yea I have three II lined up at other schools. Not going to be cracking up an MCAT book anytime soon. Ill sit on that waitlist:)

I'll chime in because I felt a little differently about the interview than the other people who posted after interviewing yesterday. I felt the faculty that we did meet really cared about the students and would be available for one-on-one work as much as needed. Staff were proud that their school truly cared for the students. Obviously the campus is beautiful, but man alive was it hot. This past years level one pass rates are CRAZY high so far, not all the data is in, but obviously the curriculum is good, and they emphasize teaching to the boards. To be fair, no one thing popped out to me as being worth the price tag over other schools with good curriculums that are 12k less a year, but if I get accepted I'll probably cancel a couple other interviews and be very happy to attend. It wasn't enough to move it to my number 1 spot, but it's hard to overcome location advantages at another school. And as far as nobody really seeing us off at the end, I did feel it was pretty informal and I wasn't totally sure we were good to leave, but I felt like they wanted to let people go catch flights because we were a minute behind. Huge class sizes aren't my favorite, but it isn't a make or break by any means. Overall a positive experience, but I understand that other people had less stellar experiences, which I totally understand. I did feel very "welcome" but maybe just because I was happy to be! I really enjoyed the interview itself, felt very comfortable and conversational. I gave some answers I feel somewhat stupid about in retrospect, but I learned from it and felt happy with the people interviewing me.

Reactions: 5 users
I'll chime in because I felt a little differently about the interview than the other people who posted after interviewing yesterday. I felt the faculty that we did meet really cared about the students and would be available for one-on-one work as much as needed. Staff were proud that their school truly cared for the students. Obviously the campus is beautiful, but man alive was it hot. This past years level one pass rates are CRAZY high so far, not all the data is in, but obviously the curriculum is good, and they emphasize teaching to the boards. To be fair, no one thing popped out to me as being worth the price tag over other schools with good curriculums that are 12k less a year, but if I get accepted I'll probably cancel a couple other interviews and be very happy to attend. It wasn't enough to move it to my number 1 spot, but it's hard to overcome location advantages at another school. And as far as nobody really seeing us off at the end, I did feel it was pretty informal and I wasn't totally sure we were good to leave, but I felt like they wanted to let people go catch flights because we were a minute behind. Huge class sizes aren't my favorite, but it isn't a make or break by any means. Overall a positive experience, but I understand that other people had less stellar experiences, which I totally understand. I did feel very "welcome" but maybe just because I was happy to be! I really enjoyed the interview itself, felt very comfortable and conversational. I gave some answers I feel somewhat stupid about in retrospect, but I learned from it and felt happy with the people interviewing me.
This exactly. I couldn't see anything that would justify that tuition. Other than that it is a very nice school and may end up attending depending on how the rest of the cycle plays out.

Everyone who interviewed this week has the accepted student checklist option popped up on their portal right? But when you click it it doesn't say anything right? Just want to make sure.. Lol

Everyone who interview this week has the accepted student checklist option popped up on their portal right? But when you click it it doesn't say anything right? Just want to make sure.. Lol
lol yes I had the same mini freak out. but looking back at last years thread it looks like that was there and then was populated after acceptance. But yeah mine was on there hours after the interview as well. So I'm pretty sure it means nothing

Everyone who interviewed this week has the accepted student checklist option popped up on their portal right? But when you click it it doesn't say anything right? Just want to make sure.. Lol
Yes. This should open up with option and documents (hopefully). This is a pre-cursor to acceptance. Good luck!

I have it.

Interview day was good! I definitely didn't get the "unwanted" vibe, though a few things felt a little rushed. The group I interviewed with was awesome and I'd happily be classmates with any of them. Tuition is high, but the school is solid and they have a great reputation.

Reactions: 2 users
I checked! I see it but can't do anything with it. Same boat...

I interviewed here yesterday and I really loved it!! Especially coming from a CA UC school, seeing a private university that was up-kept so well with so many resources and an emphasis on open door policy was very appealing to me. They seem to really want you to succeed.
The sim lab was REALLY cool to me. This was my first interview though so I honestly don't know if a sim lab is common among most med schools. Can anyone attest to this? Kind of what to know if this is a particularly outstanding portion of the school or if it's just a commonality.

Last year apparently the committee met on Mondays and Thursdays to go over interviews, so hopefully us who interviewed hear something Monday night, but I'm trying to just assume it'll be next Friday.

Last edited:
Does this school outright reject interviewees? Or is it acceptance or waitlist? And a wait list notification is given through email I assume? As opposed to the phone calls that acceptances are given through

Last year apparently the committee meet on Mondays and Thursdays to go over interviews, so hopefully us who interviewed hear something Monday night, but I'm trying to just assume it'll be next Friday.
They told us the committee may not meet the week of labor day so not to expect any news until the following week...