2017-2018 Albert Einstein College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Do we really have to have a letter of rec. from a faculty IN our major? I have 2 sciences but they are not bio.

Reactions: 1 user
If anyone has any questions about what the process was like, I'm happy to answer a few questions. I'm starting this fall and I'm happy to help!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do we really have to have a letter of rec. from a faculty IN our major? I have 2 sciences but they are not bio.
You can call and ask the admissions office. The staff are really nice.

I got the secondary yesterday afternoon. There are 9 "steps" within, and you can't advance without at least partially completing the current page. If at all possible, do not go back a step; it erased some of my data when I was trying to review earlier today (it was just demographic info but still a pain). I'll paste the prompts on page 4 (looks the same as last year). Not sure what's on the additional pages, but I (or someone else who's gotten farther) can add it soon :)

-----
@Lucca

If you check "Yes" for any of the following, you will be provided a text box so that you may provide a short response.
I have taken time off between high school and college No Yes
I have taken time off during my undergraduate years No Yes
I have taken off at least a year since college graduation No Yes
I plan to take off this year, after just having graduated, while I apply to medical school. No Yes
I have taken and received credit for online courses No Yes
I have applied to medical school previously No Yes
I have submitted an AMCAS application to Einstein previously
(Please keep in mind that if you completed two prior applications, you are ineligible for reapplication.) No Yes
I am presently enrolled in the Sue Golding Graduate Division No Yes
I am presently enrolled as an undergraduate student at Yeshiva University No Yes
I had been accepted to medical school previously but chose not to matriculate No Yes
I had been enrolled previously in a medical school No Yes
I have fulfilled all of the competencies No Yes
I will have a Baccalaureate Degree by the time I matriculate in medical school No Yes
I am presently holding a deferred enrollment to a medical/professional school No Yes
I have received a grade of "F" during my college/graduate school years No Yes
I have received a grade of "D" during my college/graduate school years No Yes
I have received a grade of "W" during my college/graduate school years No Yes
I have received a grade of "I" during my college/graduate school years No Yes
I have transferred from one college to another during my undergraduate years No Yes
I have been the recipient of a warning notice for a non-academic issue that did not result in a disciplinary action No Yes
I have been subject to a disciplinary action and/or an administrative action, expunged or not, while in school No Yes
I have disciplinary charges pending No Yes
I have been convicted of a crime No Yes
I expect that there will be criminal charges brought against me which are now pending No Yes
I have been prohibited or suspended from practicing in a professional capacity due to or as a result of alleged misconduct No Yes
Is there anything at all that you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions that might not be apparent from your AMCAS application or from you Secondary Application?

The text boxes that appear all seem to be 100 words, except for the last one which is 200. I do love how straightforward this one is.

Anybody else got a secondary?

I got the secondary yesterday afternoon. There are 9 "steps" within, and you can't advance without at least partially completing the current page. If at all possible, do not go back a step; it erased some of my data when I was trying to review earlier today (it was just demographic info but still a pain). I'll paste the prompts on page 4 (looks the same as last year). Not sure what's on the additional pages, but I (or someone else who's gotten farther) can add it soon :)

-----
@Lucca

If you check "Yes" for any of the following, you will be provided a text box so that you may provide a short response.
I have taken time off between high school and college No Yes
I have taken time off during my undergraduate years No Yes
I plan to take off this year, after just having graduated, while I apply to medical school. No Yes
I have taken and received credit for online courses No Yes
I have submitted an AMCAS application to Einstein previously
(Please keep in mind that if you completed two prior applications, you are ineligible for reapplication.) No Yes
I am presently enrolled in the Sue Golding Graduate Division No Yes
I am presently enrolled as an undergraduate student at Yeshiva University No Yes
I had been accepted to medical school previously but chose not to matriculate No Yes
I had been enrolled previously in a medical school No Yes
I have fulfilled all of the competencies No Yes
I will have a Baccalaureate Degree by the time I matriculate in medical school No Yes
I am presently holding a deferred enrollment to a medical/professional school No Yes
I have received a grade of "F" during my college/graduate school years No Yes
I have received a grade of "D" during my college/graduate school years No Yes
I have received a grade of "W" during my college/graduate school years No Yes
I have received a grade of "I" during my college/graduate school years No Yes
I have transferred from one college to another during my undergraduate years No Yes
I have been the recipient of a warning notice for a non-academic issue that did not result in a disciplinary action No Yes
I have been subject to a disciplinary action and/or an administrative action, expunged or not, while in school No Yes
I have disciplinary charges pending No Yes
I have been convicted of a crime No Yes
I expect that there will be criminal charges brought against me which are now pending No Yes
I have been prohibited or suspended from practicing in a professional capacity due to or as a result of alleged misconduct No Yes
Is there anything at all that you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions that might not be apparent from your AMCAS application or from you Secondary Application?

The text boxes that appear all seem to be 100 words, except for the last one which is 200. I do love how straightforward this one is.

I have a question: For the prompt "I have taken off at least a year since college graduation No Yes" is working in the lab or doing masters after completing undergraduate degree considered taking time off?

I have a question: For the prompt "I have taken off at least a year since college graduation No Yes" is working in the lab or doing masters after completing undergraduate degree considered taking time off?
Yes, I believe it's just asking if you're applying to enter directly out of college or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my secondary two hours ago. I wish more secondaries were like this!! Straight to the point and fast.

Just curious if anyone is writing anything for the question: "Is there anything at all that you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions that might not be apparent from your AMCAS application or from you Secondary Application?"

Did anybody receive secondary for MDPhd? Thanks

these letter requirements seem really strict. does anyone know how flexible they are?
my prof letters are both from my post bac

Just curious if anyone is writing anything for the question: "Is there anything at all that you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions that might not be apparent from your AMCAS application or from you Secondary Application?"
You don't need to put anything down if you don't have anything else to add.

This may be a dumb question, but is the e-mail that says "AMCAS has just forwarded your materials to us and we would like to get you started on completing your application. Please keep in mind that you have until December 31, 2017 to get all of your documentation to us, but please don't wait that long!

Please visit our admissions website for specific instructions on getting started: Instructions for new applicants | M.D. Admissions | Albert Einstein College of Medicine" a secondary invitation?

I keep trying to log in as a first time user from the secondary application link on that site and every time I try it says "This Amcas ID has already been registered." I know I applied two years ago but am I expected to remember my login info?

Thank you!

This may be a dumb question, but is the e-mail that says "AMCAS has just forwarded your materials to us and we would like to get you started on completing your application. Please keep in mind that you have until December 31, 2017 to get all of your documentation to us, but please don't wait that long!

Please visit our admissions website for specific instructions on getting started: Instructions for new applicants | M.D. Admissions | Albert Einstein College of Medicine" a secondary invitation?

I keep trying to log in as a first time user from the secondary application link on that site and every time I try it says "This Amcas ID has already been registered." I know I applied two years ago but am I expected to remember my login info?

Thank you!

ya they want you to use your old login info lol

hopefully you can recover it via email if you cant

I think I've seen somewhere on SDN and LizzyM commented on such questions. If you go directly to do a masters/PhD, then your education is continuous and will not be considered incomplete or "taking time off". I'm not sure about the scenario of working in the lab. Since I'm still enrolled in a PhD program, I chose "No" for this question.

Anyone else having problems with the payment? Tried it once, and when I tried to go back to the secondary it said something like "you can't do that"

For these 2 questions: I have been the recipient of a warning notice for a non-academic issue that did not result in a disciplinary action No Yes

they mean a warning or action taken by the school right? Just making sure I am understanding this correctly!

Did anyone else get an email from Einstein asking for a letter from their major? I'm a non-trad a few years out of school, I don't think any of my professors will remember me. Should I email back and ask if they can make an exception?

Did anyone else get an email from Einstein asking for a letter from their major? I'm a non-trad a few years out of school, I don't think any of my professors will remember me. Should I email back and ask if they can make an exception?
I didn't get that but I'd definitely call -- being non-trad might be enough reason for an exception.

Are we allowed to send in update e-mails before submitting our secondary? I found a clinical job and would like to add it to my file, but wasn't sure the proper way to tell them!

Might be a dumb question but do I have to answer "yes" to both of these?

I feel like answering yes would be redundant as the text would be exactly the same but I dont want to make a mistake.

I feel like answering yes would be redundant as the text would be exactly the same but I dont want to make a mistake.
When did you graduate?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using SDN mobile

I took it as:

- #1 applies to if you have taken a full year off. E.g. Let's say you graduated in 2015, that means you took 2016 off, so they want to know what you did that year
- #2 applies to the upcoming year. E.g. you are not a junior in college, so they want to know what your gap year plans will be for the upcoming year

I answered both

When did you graduate?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using SDN mobile

I took it as:

- #1 applies to if you have taken a full year off. E.g. Let's say you graduated in 2015, that means you took 2016 off, so they want to know what you did that year
- #2 applies to the upcoming year. E.g. you are not a junior in college, so they want to know what your gap year plans will be for the upcoming year

I answered both

alright then i guess ill just answer both to be safe. the resulting text answer will just be exactly the same

I think I've seen somewhere on SDN and LizzyM commented on such questions. If you go directly to do a masters/PhD, then your education is continuous and will not be considered incomplete or "taking time off". I'm not sure about the scenario of working in the lab. Since I'm still enrolled in a PhD program, I chose "No" for this question.
I called the school and they said they want to know what you are doing
I called them up and they told me you have to talk about masters, since you did not start med school right after graduation.

So, I have applied to med schools previously, but I really don't like how they are asking me to list the schools. Just seems wrong. Would it be okay to vaguely say, "I applied to various med schools in VA, MA, and TX" or something to that effect. I'd rather spent more time writing about how much better my application is (you only have 200 words).

So, I have applied to med schools previously, but I really don't like how they are asking me to list the schools. Just seems wrong. Would it be okay to vaguely say, "I applied to various med schools in VA, MA, and TX" or something to that effect. I'd rather spent more time writing about how much better my application is (you only have 200 words).

Yeah, I just wrote '2015-2016 cycle, xx total schools' and then had a blurb about how I strengthened my app. I kinda wish I had also indicated that I'm not considered a reapplicant to Einstein though. I hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the butt.

I called the admissions department to ask about the letters. They said they strictly require one from your major. Looks like I will not be returning this secondary then. I have two science letters, but none are from my major.

Is there an abbreviation for Albert Einstein or is it just Einstein?