2017-2018 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For everyone getting interviews today, what day were you complete?

I was complete July 12, so 2 days ago. The turn around was incredibly fast. I did not expect that.

Does any have any insight on their interview:accepted ratio? My friend that interviewed said its pretty high, but his response was awfully anecdotal.

Members don't see this ad.

I was complete July 12, so 2 days ago. The turn around was incredibly fast. I did not expect that.

Does any have any insight on their interview:accepted ratio? My friend that interviewed said its pretty high, but his response was awfully anecdotal.

Gotcha. How long between your "supplement complete" and "application complete email"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn, everything is in for me but no app complete and it's been 3 days. I may just email them about it to speed things along.

Their admissions committee is super friendly, so give them a call and discuss your application status. Show your enthusiasm for the school, be positive, ask straightforward questions -- they should be responsive!

I got an II for August 11th!!! WOO!!!!

SDN Friend looks like we're going places :soexcited:

EDIT: I got an II but scheduled for the 11th.

Yeaaah! Cyber high-five!

If everyone interviewing on the 11th wants to meet up before or after for drinks or dinner or whatever, send me a PM!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user

Reading over last year's thread the "2/3 who interviewed are given acceptances" was thrown around a lot. I don't know how accurate this is, I'm only on page 23 of their 70+ page thread...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Damn, everything is in for me but no app complete and it's been 3 days. I may just email them about it to speed things along.
Same boat here! I submitted 7/7, secondary received 7/11, nothing yet. Will probably call after work just to say hello and make sure I didn't mess anything up.

I was complete July 12th but submitted my secondary like 5 business days before.

They were extremely nice when I called. My pre-med advisor's title was listed differently as he was promoted, and my app was held from being complete due to lacking an advisor LOR. We cleared it up and they said should be all good to be completed next week. Very helpful and accommodating people!

Members don't see this ad :)
What are you guys doing for air travel/accommodation for Aug 11th? I'm thinking about flying from Texas to Atlanta since that's the cheapest flight available in the area. Then taking a rental to Dothan, 3 hr drive ain't too bad.

Any current students have recommendations on living? Is it better to live at the hotels in the interview packet or airbnbs in the area?

@DanseMacabre99 @MissDr.

What are you guys doing for air travel/accommodation for Aug 11th? I'm thinking about flying from Texas to Atlanta since that's the cheapest flight available in the area. Then taking a rental to Dothan, 3 hr drive ain't too bad.

Any current students have recommendations on living? Is it better to live at the hotels in the interview packet or airbnbs in the area?

@DanseMacabre99 @MissDr.

The drive from Atlanta to Dothan is quite an easy one (I used to live off I85 and drove to Dothan multiple times a year, and it's very laid back past Atlanta/Newnan). There are plenty of hotels in the area, but I personally love AirBnB and if you can find a cheap one that looks good, id say go for it!

@DanseMacabre99 @MissDr.

I'm driving from FL to the Comfort Suites mentioned in the packet. I'll be staying in Dothan after the interview and leaving the following day. I want to explore the city a little. All of us interviewees should hang out!

@DanseMacabre99 @MissDr.
I was also planning on doing a flight into Atlanta then doing a rental car drive up to Dothan and staying at the Comforts. Ugh these prices are crazy, and I still need to get a new blazer. RIP bank account :dead:

I was also planning on doing a flight into Atlanta then doing a rental car drive up to Dothan and staying at the Comforts. Ugh these prices are crazy, and I still need to get a new blazer. RIP bank account :dead:

Yeah, flying to Dothan or anywhere closer is outrageously expensive. H&M has cheap suits, more tailored fit if you have an average body size, decent quality for the interview trail and beyond.

The cheapest option I found was through priceline. Round trip from Texas to Dothan and 2 night stay at a hotel for about 500. I know flying into Atlanta or Albany is cheaper, but I don't have to spend money on a rental or time/gas driving to and from Dothan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using SDN mobile

Yeah, flying to Dothan or anywhere closer is outrageously expensive. H&M has cheap suits, more tailored fit if you have an average body size, decent quality for the interview trail and beyond.
I'm certain like 60% of my wardrobe is from H&M, which is unfortunate since that store seems to hate my legs (any former hockey players here?), but I'll probably pop in the store and see what's up. Zara is also still running their semi-annual sale online and in-stores. I was able to score brown leather shoes at 39.99 from 89.99. Hoping I can still get lucky with some other items.

What is typical interview attire? I have a black suit and shoes from my brother's wedding last year. Would that suffice with a nice button down and tie?

The cheapest option I found was through priceline. Round trip from Texas to Dothan and 2 night stay at a hotel for about 500. I know flying into Atlanta or Albany is cheaper, but I don't have to spend money on a rental or time/gas driving to and from Dothan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using SDN mobile
Sadly it's 1.1K or more for where I'm flying from.

What is typical interview attire? I have a black suit and shoes from my brother's wedding last year. Would that suffice with a nice button down and tie?
You can check out this thread: Men's Interview Clothing #4! (2017)

Personally I think some of their opinions are a bit extreme, but I think they will still give you a general idea of the attire lol. I personally have no problem w/ black as it's my favorite color and I've seen plenty of students wear it in mock interviews, but you might die in the Alabama sun.

@DanseMacabre99 @MissDr.
Personally I'm making the 16 hour drive from Philly. I just don't have the 1k+ to spend on airfare. Road trip!

Hotel booked for II on the 11th!! Staying at the Comfort Inn. I don't think I'm going to use the shuttle to the school though because it says it doesn't get there until 8:45 and that's when we should be at the school at the latest...I like to be early to everything lol

Reactions: 2 users
I'll be staying be from August 10th to the 11th at the comfort inn, if anyone wants to grab dinner the night before pm me!

Hotel booked for II on the 11th!! Staying at the Comfort Inn. I don't think I'm going to use the shuttle to the school though because it says it doesn't get there until 8:45 and that's when we should be at the school at the latest...I like to be early to everything lol
I'm totally not doing the shuttle either. I'd rather wait at ACOM than at the hotel.

I'll be staying be from August 10th to the 11th at the comfort inn, if anyone wants to grab dinner the night before pm me!
I'm staying at the comfort hotel from the 10th to the 12th!

Anyone know how their students perform on boards?

I believe they review applications weekly. It's technically up to three weeks after you're complete before they promise a response, so I think you're okay for now. Guessing we will (hopefully) hear something this week, given how prompt and speedy the ADCOM's here seem to be.

Should I be worried now, wonder if something's up?

It took two weeks to get a secondary complete email and then over a week to get an app complete email. after that it was pretty quick. so i wouldnt worry yet. you could maybe email them and say youre making sure all your required letters are in.

I hadn't been completed on Friday 7/14, after having been received 7/11, so I called and we resolved some confusion with a LOR. Hopefully I will be complete within the next couple days, but they are super nice. I'd just give them a call, shows interest and gets the job done!

Hey, I just received the secondary, do we need to send the LORs directly to the school or they will use the AACOMAS's ?????

Does anyone know if ACOM will allow substitution for the science letter requirement?

For those receiving interviews, how long were your responses for the secondary questions? I have about 1/2 a page for each and idk if thats enough..

For those receiving interviews, how long were your responses for the secondary questions? I have about 1/2 a page for each and idk if thats enough..
I did half a page for the first question and a full page for the second question

Length doesn't matter as long as you answer the question and don't BS through it :)

Reactions: 3 users

I had a full page for each because I had a lot to say.

I've been reading through some interview questions and one is "Do you plan on becoming a health care advocate?"

Does anyone know exactly what this means?

I hadn't been completed on Friday 7/14, after having been received 7/11, so I called and we resolved some confusion with a LOR. Hopefully I will be complete within the next couple days, but they are super nice. I'd just give them a call, shows interest and gets the job done!
Thanks, I emailed and it was resolved. Don't know the issue just resolved. Imagine it had something to do with my letter packet.

I've been reading through some interview questions and one is "Do you plan on becoming a health care advocate?"

Does anyone know exactly what this means?

What I found online:
A health advocate is a family member, friend, trusted coworker, or a hired professional who can ask questions, write down information, and speak up for you so you can better understand your illness and get the care and resources you need - giving you a peace of mind so you can focus on your recovery.

I have an autoimmune disorder and the pharma company where I get my injection has an ambassador (who was a registered nurse) that does these things for me. Before I started my medication, she came to my house, explained the pathology of the disease, gave me resources like a travel kit for my injections, taught me how to dispose of sharps, etc. I have a feeling you can do this as a physician too

It could be also implying to "do you plan on being involved in healthcare policy?"

A question regarding the secondary:
For the first question (about the personal qualities) did you all literally just list and explain why these personal qualities would make you a successful physician? Or did you write it like a personal statement and use an experience/story to demonstrate those characteristics? Not sure which one would be better. :help:

A question regarding the secondary:
For the first question (about the personal qualities) did you all literally just list and explain why these personal qualities would make you a successful physician? Or did you write it like a personal statement and use an experience/story to demonstrate those characteristics? Not sure which one would be better. :help:

I did the second way. I thought it would be more personable that way and it gave the faculty a better picture of who I was and a little of why I wanted to go into medicine.

when does interview day start? when we sign up it says 8am but the packet that we got says registration from 830-9, and then the bus from comfort inn to ACOM doesnt leave until 845. just a little confused

when does interview day start? when we sign up it says 8am but the packet that we got says registration from 830-9, and then the bus from comfort inn to ACOM doesnt leave until 845. just a little confused
I'll be at ACOM at 8am. No harm in being early

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk