2017-2018 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long is everyone writing their essay answers? I know it says 1 page max for each response, but that seems like a lot. I've written about 1/2 page for each response and I like my answers...I'm just not sure if I should write more? Maybe shoot for 3/4 page?

Members don't see this ad.

How long is everyone writing their essay answers? I know it says 1 page max for each response, but that seems like a lot. I've written about 1/2 page for each response and I like my answers...I'm just not sure if I should write more? Maybe shoot for 3/4 page?
I wrote 1/2 page each. I would assume less is more as long as they are clear answers. Considering the volume of applications coming in the admissions may not want to read a thesis.

Reactions: 1 user
I wrote 1/2 page each. I would assume less is more as long as they are clear answers. Considering the volume of applications coming in the admissions may not want to read a thesis.
Yeah that's what I was thinking too, thanks! Quality > quantity

Members don't see this ad :)
I wrote the full page on them, but shorter should be fine.

Submitted secondary! Did anyone get a confirmation email? I didn't receive one. Just a little wary because I uploaded my PDF file for the essays and clicked finish and then it closed out...like did they receive it ?

I wrote 1/2 page last year. As long as you convey your ideas to answer the question clearly, you should be fine.

Anyone mind posting the secondary questions? Submitted my primary so I wanna start working on secondaries :pompous:

Anyone mind posting the secondary questions? Submitted my primary so I wanna start working on secondaries :pompous:
a. What personal qualities do you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic
physician?

1. What life experiences and people have inspired you to become an osteopathic physician?

Just received my application complete email!

"The Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) has received your supplemental application and fee, essays, and letters of recommendation. Your application package is now complete and is in review by the Admissions Committee who will select qualified students for campus interviews. ACOM will notify you within three weeks if selected for an interview."

Three week countdown begins now!

Reactions: 2 users
How long did it for secondary verification? Just submitted

Members don't see this ad :)
How long did it for secondary verification? Just submitted
06/23 Supplemental application invite
06/30 Supplemental submitted
07/03 Supplemental application received
07/07 Application complete and in review

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Secondary submitted 7/6. Waiting on one final LOR and hopefully completion soon! Good luck to all applying.

Submitted secondary like a week ago. Got verification email today and they said I'll be notified if I get an interview within the next 3 weeks

Secondary received but I'll wait until they clear me for a fee waiver, which can take ~15 days. - Haha, confused these guys with PCOM-GA.

Secondary received 6/26. Complete: 7/7.

Last edited:
AAAHHHH!!! My first interview invite! This underdog is now a super duper happy underdog!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 7 users
OMG.... II!!!!!!!!
They seem to be giving a lot of II's out, I wonder what their post interview acceptance rate is? AH!!! SO EXCITED!

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats to everyone with II's! When were you all complete?

II! First of the season! When is everyone going to interview???

Reactions: 5 users
8/4! But oh my.... plane tix to Dothan are crazy expensive!

I read on last year's thread that interviewees would fly into different cities and rent a car and then drive to Dothan! I'm personally making a 10.5 hour drive to Dothan from Texas with my lovely mother haha...

My physician letter was submitted this morning, so I should be completed! Hopefully I'll join y'all soon! I have family from Dothan and have visited ACOM before, so I'm hoping for that II!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to decide between 8/4 or 8/11 for interview day...I think I want that extra week to prepare for the interview...

and I will be making a 15 hour drive to AL from the Philly area with my pops lol

When did you guys get an email that your app was complete? (relative to when you submitted your secondary)

I submitted the supplemental app on 7/6 and haven't heard anything about the file being complete despite the fact that everything is in to AACOMAS.

I think around five business days after I submitted I got the complete email and under review

When did you guys get an email that your app was complete? (relative to when you submitted your secondary)

I submitted the supplemental app on 7/6 and haven't heard anything about the file being complete despite the fact that everything is in to AACOMAS.
Mine was the next day. I submitted the secondary on 7/6 and was complete on 7/7. I also had everything in AACOMAS (all letters, MCAT, etc)

I think around five business days after I submitted I got the complete email and under review

So I should expect a complete email this week and an interview decision either way next week probably?

Mine was the next day. I submitted the secondary on 7/6 and was complete on 7/7. I also had everything in AACOMAS (all letters, MCAT, etc)

Guess I'll email them just in case then.

Driving up from FL and staying at the Dothan National Golf Club and Hotel. Seemed reasonable at ~$100 for 8/3-8/5. See you there, buds.

Congratulations everyone! I'm still hoping they'll love me

II. Completed 7/7. Anyone heard types of questions/style of the interview? Thought I read somewhere there were a ton of ethical questions but could be wrong

Just received my application complete email!

"The Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) has received your supplemental application and fee, essays, and letters of recommendation. Your application package is now complete and is in review by the Admissions Committee who will select qualified students for campus interviews. ACOM will notify you within three weeks if selected for an interview."

Three week countdown begins now!
Did you LORs have to be submitted again directly to ACOM or do they accept the ones that were submitted to AACOMAS??

Did you LORs have to be submitted again directly to ACOM or do they accept the ones that were submitted to AACOMAS??

I had mine submitted to AACOMAS!

According to last year's thread it was a 2 on 1 interview, open file, and conversational!

If anyone has any questions about the surrounding area or school itself, feel free to ask! It's been about a year since my last visit, but I've been 2 or 3 times total to the school, and about twice a year to Dothan.

If anyone has any questions about the surrounding area or school itself, feel free to ask! It's been about a year since my last visit, but I've been 2 or 3 times total to the school, and about twice a year to Dothan.
Anything neat to see/do that you'd recommend? How's traffic?

Anything neat to see/do that you'd recommend? How's traffic?

In Dothan itself, there's really not too much to do. There's plenty of places to go shopping, but they're mostly places in practically every mid-sized city. There is a Botanical Garden not too far out of the main city. The biggest thing is it's only an hour to an hour and a half away from PCB, so if you have an extra day you can always head there!

But really everything in Dothan is on the main circle, and it's not a terrible place to go, you can find something to pass the time for sure.

Anyone know what their post II acceptance rate is? :)

Are they really strict about the LOR requirement of, "These letters should be on letterhead with academic credentials in the signature line. Also, letters should include the course title the evaluator taught. Students should inform faculty of these requirements when requesting letters."?

Also that's really exciting that you guys are getting II's! Good luck!

Anyone know what their post II acceptance rate is? :)

It varies, but for the last few years, there's been about 500 interviews with about 250 acceptances for 162 seats.

Reactions: 2 users
They got back to my email! "Thank you for your interest in ACOM! Your application has been received, and is currently being processed. You should receive an email regarding status change later today."

Looks like I'm going to go complete and then if you guys' timelines are anything to go by, hear something by next week.