2017-2018 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, this might be random but iyo would it be too late to submit a primary to this school? Never really looked at it before recently but it looks nice!

lol the reputation I heard about ACOM when I was applying was anything but bad. I know their inaugural class didn't have ground breaking numbers but the improvement the school has shown has been absolutely positive. I think the only negative points about this school are the fact that it's new, despite them already overcoming most of the growing pains other new schools are dealing with, and for some the attendance policy is a negative. but that's not unique to ACOM. The overall reputation of the school has actually been very good so I'm not surprised at all that you liked your interview but I'm glad to hear you liked it so much and I hope to meet you next year!

This is my opinion of course and it could be biased because I'm actually a student here. However, before I even submitted applications and was just doing research on the schools I would apply to, I really couldn't find any truly negative opinions about this school! And now that I'm here I can definitely say their good reputation is well deserved! :)

That's true, and I didn't mean to imply I necessarily heard bad - more like I feel like it doesn't get as much respect as it may deserve. Didn't mean anything bad, like I said, I thought it was a really cool place!

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted my secondary on 9/6, was marked complete and under review on 9/6. Do you think I submitted too late? I was really strapped for money, pushed me back quite a bit :(

Can anyone provide some insight on what time the interview day will end? Trying to plan flights out of AL the same day...

Can anyone provide some insight on what time the interview day will end? Trying to plan flights out of AL the same day...
Around 3:00 pm. A little bit later if you wish to tour the apartment complex.

Don't forget the time change if you're going to fly out of ATL.

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!! Just received the call! Interviewed on 9-1-2017

Reactions: 14 users
Accepted! Got the call 15 minutes ago. True definition of an underdog, good luck everyone

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody from 9/1 get the dreaded rejected email yet lol I feel like I'm just waiting for it

Anybody from 9/1 get the dreaded rejected email yet lol I feel like I'm just waiting for it

They said that all the emails will go out tomorrow. Also, at the interview they said that people that get interviewed will not be rejected but rather waitlisted. Hopefully you get the call though!

curious-- is there an accepted students page or anything? i know some schools have that.. just wondering if there's one since quite a few interview dates have accepted students!

I haven't gotten any email yet.. I'm hoping we somehow still have a chance!

Reactions: 2 users
curious-- is there an accepted students page or anything? i know some schools have that.. just wondering if there's one since quite a few interview dates have accepted students!

Saw a fb group for the accepted students. Think it was named ACOM Class of 2022.

Saw a fb group for the accepted students. Think it was named ACOM Class of 2022.

Haha this is super surreal. I remember being in this spot last year with the whole Facebook group thing and watching it grow. Good luck to future interviewees.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

for anyone that wants the lank to the class of 2022 fb page: Log into Facebook | Facebook

not sure if the link worked or not lol. let me know if it doesn't

Where can you check the status of your supplemental application?

Accepted today! Interviewed 9/8 :)

Reactions: 3 users
Little late to the party.. just submitted a primary haha

Reactions: 1 users
Where can you check the status of your supplemental application?
I believe the only way to check the status of your app is to call/email the school. there is no portal that will give you that information

me too, friend. a sad day indeed!

Based on threads of previous years, it appears that they accept a lot of people from the waitlist. It still may work out!

Based on threads of previous years, it appears that they accept a lot of people from the waitlist. It still may work out!
You're absolutely correct! Don't lose hope at all you guys are in no way out of the running! I recommend sending updates when possible and letters of intent! Show them how much you want to be here!

Are there any opportunities to shadow local physicians as a 1st year? I've heard of people doing this at other schools and it sounds like a good experience.

Heard any feedback from upperclassmen about clinical rotations?

I know there have been some first years shadowing around Dothan, which if you're doing it during the school year is what you'll be limited to, due to time constraints. I also know some have shadowed local to them when on vacation and such.

I'm in my 4th year at the Dothan rotation site. Overall the rotations are very good, though from what I've heard (only word of mouth) the time spent on rotations can vary a bit depending on the site that you're at. I enjoy not fighting with interns or residents to do cool things, though what you can do also varies by preceptor. Most have been pretty open to you doing most things, as long as you demonstrate you're not going to really screw things up. I've been able assist on some neuro cases that are really fellowship level stuff, and I've also had to watch entire surgeries and not touch anything (though that's rare).

Any specific questions I can answer for you, or anybody else?

Reactions: 3 users
Any specific questions I can answer for you, or anybody else?

How do you feel the curriculum prepared you for boards? Both COMLEX and USMLE (if you took it).

How do you feel the curriculum prepared you for boards? Both COMLEX and USMLE (if you took it).

For Level 1, overall I felt pretty well prepared for the boards based off of courses and self guided review. My class didn't do the now required Wolf Pacc program that's going on, so I can't speak to that, except to say it seems like average board scores went up. Whether that's the system, or forcing some people into a regimented study schedule that might not have otherwise done that, I don't know. I would have liked to try it personally. One thing that would help is to slowly work through some board style questions as you do systems, so you get used to how questions are asked.

As for Level 2 - CE, I would have liked a dedicated study period like some schools get. However, you can schedule some easier rotations to give you plenty of time to study. For the COMATs, I really just worked hard during the rotation and did the Q banks they provide, that was enough to do well on them, they were definitely easier then Level 2....or maybe they were fresher in my mind?

For Level 2 - PE, I felt very prepared. If you take PCS seriously and try to be realistic in your standardized patient interactions, the PE is exactly like that. I went through the review book and that was enough. Still wish I didn't have to pay ~$1800 for it. :mad:

Bare in mind COMLEX can be all over the place. Your COMSAE may be way off from what you actually get. COMBANK and COMQUEST get reasonably close to the style of question, but there's always a few surprises on the real thing. Also I found that COMLEX typically had much longer question stems then either question bank, so if you're struggling time wise on the practice stuff, you may be in for a rude surprise on the real one.

I opted not to take USMLE, so no comments on that. Maybe I should have? Time will tell.

Has anyone who interviewed here driven to Dothan from Atlanta? Anyone able to comment on how the drive is? Is it manageable?

Has anyone who interviewed here driven to Dothan from Atlanta? Anyone able to comment on how the drive is? Is it manageable?
Super chill, probably all of 3 turns with no traffic. The only thing to remember is to make SURE to account for time change.

Anyone know when next round of interviews going out?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How long did it take to get a supplement after submitting a primary??

I just got an II! So excited!

Reactions: 5 users
I've been complete on 7/19 but then I was put on an II waitlist on 7/27....I don't want to email/call because they said they will update me automatically...anyone else in this boat? Any suggestions for what to expect?

What's the chance of getting an interview if you received secondary?

What's the chance of getting an interview if you received secondary?

They gave us statistics for the Class 2020, and that year they received 3697 applications, 2462 secondary applications, and invited 579 applicants to an interview. Each year these numbers have been growing though. Hope this helps!

I've been complete on 7/19 but then I was put on an II waitlist on 7/27....I don't want to email/call because they said they will update me automatically...anyone else in this boat? Any suggestions for what to expect?
What are your stats, if you don't mind me asking?

What are your stats, if you don't mind me asking?
I have a 3.9c/sGPA. 650+ Volunteering, 100+ Shadowing, 200+ Community Service, 300+ Research.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 3.9c/sGPA but a sub 500MCAT. 650+ Volunteering, 100+ Shadowing, 200+ Community Service, 300+ Research.
Honestly everything is solid except for your MCAT. Perhaps you should consider a retake? With a good MCAT you should be applying to MD as well.

Honestly everything is solid except for your MCAT. Perhaps you should consider a retake? With a good MCAT you should be applying to MD as well.
I've taken the MCAT a couple of times so at this point I'm just want to start school instead of wasting more years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've taken the MCAT a couple of times so at this point I'm just want to start school instead of wasting more years. So I'm taking my chances this year by applying broadly and crossing my fingers. However, I have 3 DO II and 1 Waitlist thus far...so its not bad yet. *Nervously Chuckles*
That's awesome! Best of luck my friend :)

II a bit ago. Really surprised but I'm excited.

The curriculum is geared more towards passing COMLEX. USMLE step 1 has a lot more detailed biochem questions and more statistics/epidemiology questions compared to COMLEX, and I felt our molecular medicine department was weak in preparing us for USMLE, which is fine because not everyone will take it. I thought our OPP department prepared us really well for the OPP section of COMLEX.

My class was the first to sit through the Wolfpacc program. Before the program began, I didn't think it would benefit me because I learn differently and did not want to sit through lectures. I would have liked using those 4 weeks to focus on doing UWorld and COMBANK questions and reviewing my weak areas on my own. After sitting through Wolfpacc, it definitely did not benefit me at all. It made me fatigued to sit through their lectures and then study on my own afterward. The material they taught were too basic and seemed to be more as a foundation of all the organ systems for the students who were weaker with their medical knowledge. Dr. Wolf is a good lecturer, but he only taught for a few days, and the remaining weeks were taught by another professor who basically read off the slides.

Preparing yourself for COMLEX and/or USMLE is more of an individual factor, like how much work are you putting in and do you know the material well enough to begin with. If you tend to do well in class and actually understand the concepts, then you are likely to do well on boards.

Reactions: 5 users