2017-2018 A.T. Still University - Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine (ATSU-KCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
People who got interviews.. the earliest spots are in november. Is that late does KCOM interview earlier?
Mine is in late October. When they send the invite, there is a calendar where you can choose the dates. Everything earlier was blacked out and those dates were not available. I bet it is because those days are already taken. But you got an invite! Is there something that you are worried about?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know how can I get my SAT scores and ACT scores if I don't remember them?
I saved my scores in case of an occasion such as this but you should be able to get your old ACT scores from ACT.org. I never took the SAT so I'm not sure on that one.

Members don't see this ad :)
interesting, an email saying that they will schedule my interview If I complete some more shadowing. They said as soon as I schedule it they can schedule the interview for sometime after the completion date of the shadowing.

interesting, an email saying that they will schedule my interview If I complete some more shadowing. They said as soon as I schedule it they can schedule the interview for sometime after the completion date of the shadowing.

Time for a couple of 24 hour ER shifts

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It really bothers me to notice how much I am stalking this thread (and compulsively checking my emails). After seeing everyone's responses I am terrified of being rejected from this school since it's my top, top, top choice.
I'm on this site and compulsively checking my email too.... even in my sleep -_-

Got acceptance package today in email. Can't wait for July, 2018! Let me know if anyone has good recommendations for living situations? Good luck to you all. Hope to see you guys in July :)

Reactions: 4 users
II this morning! Complete 8/29. Mid November dates are open.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Portal is working fine for me.

Reactions: 1 user
II today. Complete 9/6. 3.7 cGPA 3.85 sGPA. 506 MCAT. 127/128/125/126.

Should I call for a status update? I have been complete since 8/11 and haven't heard anything?

Should I call for a status update? I have been complete since 8/11 and haven't heard anything?
I've been complete since 6/25. It's a long cycle, try not to worry so much.

Does anyone have any interview tips/advice specific to KCOM? It would be much appreciated!

Anyone recommend the best way to travel there from NYC?

How common is it for someone to get an interview after being waitlisted?

Got acceptance package today in email. Can't wait for July, 2018! Let me know if anyone has good recommendations for living situations? Good luck to you all. Hope to see you guys in July :)

student housing

People who got interviews.. the earliest spots are in november. Is that late does KCOM interview earlier?

DO cycle realistically runs until February, April for the low-tiered schools.

Completed on 08/18 and STILL have not heard anything back :(

Does anyone have any interview tips/advice specific to KCOM? It would be much appreciated!
My best advice would be to not sweat it at all. KCOM was the most relaxed interview I had, very conversational. They just want to get to know you. I was not asked any of the "traditional" questions like "Why DO?", "What sets you apart?", etc. You interview with three different members of the school and they were all very casual.

Finally heard back. They want 15-20 more hours of shadowing (I'm glad to see they really value clinical experience), then they'll look at the interview calendar!

There are many rentals in Kirksville and some that are exclusive to med students. Look at your class facebook page for people posting for their landlords probably at the start of the new year. If you dont have the page yet it will come up pretty soon!

Finally heard back. They want 15-20 more hours of shadowing (I'm glad to see they really value clinical experience), then they'll look at the interview calendar!
Did this come via email or portal? Phone call?

That's great news, congratulations!!! Were you apart of the early decision program? I have an interview Oct. 9th and their website says that the first interviews are in early October.

That's great news, congratulations!!! Were you apart of the early decision program? I have an interview Oct. 9th and their website says that the first interviews are in early October.

Thank you! Not really, I was part of a linkage program through my school...so we have different deadlines. Good luck on your interview!! It's really not that bad and most of them ask the same questions. Just be yourself :)

Congrats! What was the turnaround time between interview and acceptance notice?

Would any current students/people who have already interviewed mind talking about the area the school is in. Is it super rural or what you guys think of it? I scrolled through the thread quickly and didnt see anything

Congrats! What was the turnaround time between interview and acceptance notice?

Thanks! Pretty fast..they got back to me in like 8 days. I think overall their turnaround time is 1-2 weeks.

Would any current students/people who have already interviewed mind talking about the area the school is in. Is it super rural or what you guys think of it? I scrolled through the thread quickly and didnt see anything

Yea! I actually stayed in town a couple of days after my interview to get a good feel of the town and people. The town itself is pretty small and everything seems to be within a 5 minute drive or so. The people are all very nice and welcoming. There's a movie theater, a few local bars and restaurants in town. They also have a really nice park with a lake. It's a good place to be if you intend to focus in school and not get distracted. However if you are looking for a big city vibe like LA or NY, then this is probably not the best place. That being said, you can easily travel 1-4 hours away on weekends to St. Louis, Kansas City, and Chicago if you need to get away. Despite it being a small town, I think what won me over with this school is the people living in this town and how supportive they are of KCOM students. Hope this helps!

Yea! I actually stayed in town a couple of days after my interview to get a good feel of the town and people. The town itself is pretty small and everything seems to be within a 5 minute drive or so. The people are all very nice and welcoming. There's a movie theater, a few local bars and restaurants in town. They also have a really nice park with a lake. It's a good place to be if you intend to focus in school and not get distracted. However if you are looking for a big city vibe like LA or NY, then this is probably not the best place. That being said, you can easily travel 1-4 hours away on weekends to St. Louis, Kansas City, and Chicago if you need to get away. Despite it being a small town, I think what won me over with this school is the people living in this town and how supportive they are of KCOM students. Hope this helps!

Thanks for taking the time to expalin that! Does Kirksville have the feel of a super rural area, or like the feel of a small town outside a city?

Thanks for taking the time to expalin that! Does Kirksville have the feel of a super rural area, or like the feel of a small town outside a city?
Kirksville is a rural area. The nearest big city is 1 hour and 45 minutes away and that is either Columbia or Quincy IL. Personally I love the rural feel but some people really are not fans. We have the necessities here such as Walmart, a few restaurants, and a few clothing stores. There is a movie theater, a bowling ally, a state park and some other activities. This is a great place as there are few distractions from school while still being able to find entertainment. The majority of people leave after 2 years so it isnt a long time period you will have to be here.

Reactions: 2 users

Hey, current student here. Kirksville's population is 17,500 which is bigger than other DO schools like KYCOM, LMU DCOM, and WVCOM (all under 10,000). But the city certainly cannot compare to the likes of Kansas City (KCU), Philadelphia (PCOM) or Ft Lauderdale (NOVA).

To answer your question, Kirksville is not super rural nor does it feel like a small town outside a city. It is a small town with a Walmart, all the typical fast food chains, a Hobby Lobby, even some weirdly placed stores like JCPenny, Rue 21, and Hibbert Sports.

What makes the town super lively during the academic year is the influx of about 6000 students who attend Truman State University, a very well perceived public university in Missouri.

Honestly, and of course n=1, I go to Walmart once a week to get groceries and that's about it. It seems like there is always something to study. Let's just say Kirksville makes it easier to get work done.

placed on hold earlier this morning. Anyone ever hear of anyone getting an interview after being placed on this list?

I'm FREAKING OUT! I've submitted my application ages ago and I haven't heard ANYTHING. Not an II not a rejection. :(