2017-2018 A.T. Still University - Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine (ATSU-KCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The cost of living is very low here! Rent, utilities, and food are all inexpensive compared to larger city living. Rent can be anywhere from$350-900 depending on how many rooms and how updated the home is.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
Thanks for the reply!

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
II as well! complete 6/27, LM 65

Reactions: 1 users
Hey Everyone! I am a current OMSII at KCOM and would be happy to answer any questions you have about the school/area!

Hey mestar11, I know KCOM is real friendly for families, how is it for people without families? Is there anything fun to do around there? How does the local community view the college and students?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey mestar11, I know KCOM is real friendly for families, how is it for people without families? Is there anything fun to do around there? How does the local community view the college and students?

It is great for students with and without families. I am personally married but the rest of my friends are single or in long distance relationships. I have found that there is something for everyone here. Kirksville is a very small town but in reality we are 2.5 hours from Kansas City, 90 minutes from both Quincy, IL or Columbia and 3 hours from St. Louis. If you are really bored Chicago is a great weekend trip at just about 6 hours away. We have a state park that offers many outdoor activities and there is some community activities throughout the year like the farmers market and stuff of that sort. The school is very open to people from all backgrounds and each class has a great variety of students with families and those without. The majority of the class will leave during third and fourth year so Kirksville is just temporary. The community loves ATSU students and are extremely supportive. For those with significant others or families there is opportunity for work or cost of living is inexpensive so many SO stay home with children. I have found it to be the perfect place for the first two years because there is fun activities to do but not enough to distract you from school.

Reactions: 1 user
rejected. 3.1/3.3 510, decent ECs, complete 6/28.

good luck yall!

Members don't see this ad :)
It really bothers me to notice how much I am stalking this thread (and compulsively checking my emails). After seeing everyone's responses I am terrified of being rejected from this school since it's my top, top, top choice.

It really bothers me to notice how much I am stalking this thread (and compulsively checking my emails). After seeing everyone's responses I am terrified of being rejected from this school since it's my top, top, top choice.

No news is good news!! Stay positive!!

II on Friday the 13th in October should be interesting right :laugh::android::vulcan:

Reactions: 1 users
Complete Jul 3. Hoping for some news next week...

What does this mean?
A pre-II hold means that they haven't outright rejected you, but that they're holding off on giving an interview to said candidate at this time and may consider them for an interview in the future. Basically, it's like being waitlisted for an interview.

Got an interview invite for this school on 7/31/17. So excited I've heard great things! Can anyone offer some advice for the interview style and maybe some of the questions asked? Thanks!

II, OS reapplicant. My sibling went here so this is exciting!

Got an interview invite for this school on 7/31/17. So excited I've heard great things! Can anyone offer some advice for the interview style and maybe some of the questions asked? Thanks!
When I interviewed last year we had three interviewers, a PhD, an admissions representative, and a DO. The admissions rep had pretty standard job interview questions (strengths, weaknesses, etc...) while the DO and PhD went a bit more into my personal file. The main questions to prepare for are why medicine, why Osteopathic medicine, and why KCOM. You can check the interview feedback page for more questions if you want.

I've been complete since 6/28. Haven't heard a thing.

I just got an email saying that to make myself a more competitive applicant I should seek to obtain 30+ more shadowing hours and then, "we can talk about interview dates after you complete the hours."
So is an II secured if I get those hours in?

I just got an email saying that to make myself a more competitive applicant I should seek to obtain 30+ more shadowing hours and then, "we can talk about interview dates after you complete the hours."

When were you complete?

How many hours did you have before submitting your app?

Got an email stating my application was put on hold by the screening committee and that it may be reviewed again at a later date... Seems Weird.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Quick Question: Does the clinical experience portion include paid experiences or just volunteer work because I have 4 years of working in the medical field but only volunteered a few times.

Quick Question: Does the clinical experience portion include paid experiences or just volunteer work because I have 4 years of working in the medical field but only volunteered a few times.

I believe it is any so paid or volunteer. They highly value clinical experience. I too had 4 years of paid hospital work which was counted as clinical

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Hello guys,

On my secondary it is asking for test scores, and they want me to put in SAT, ACT, and GRE and I didn't take SAT and ACT since high school. Anyone faced the same issue?

Hello guys,

On my secondary it is asking for test scores, and they want me to put in SAT, ACT, and GRE and I didn't take SAT and ACT since high school. Anyone faced the same issue?
If I remember correctly, I put in my high school ACT score. I think there may have also been a way to skip the section.

It does seem a bit strange that they want test scores from before college though.

Did you all just copy your ACCOMAS descriptions of experiences or did you write new versions? This secondary looks like a repetitive pain in the a**.

Did you all just copy your ACCOMAS descriptions of experiences or did you write new versions? This secondary looks like a repetitive pain in the a**.

Definitely don't copy what you wrote on the ACCOMAS descriptions. Try going more in detail on the secondaries and write about something different. The AACOMAS should be more of an overall summary and the secondary should be more focused on a particular experience. For example, on the primary you may give a small summary about shadowing or volunteering at a hospital. But on the secondary, give a personal experience with a patient or something you learned, etc. Hope this helps!

If I remember correctly, I put in my high school ACT score. I think there may have also been a way to skip the section.

It does seem a bit strange that they want test scores from before college though.
Do you know how can I get my SAT scores and ACT scores if I don't remember them?

II earlier today!! I submitted early August.

People who got interviews.. the earliest spots are in november. Is that late does KCOM interview earlier?

People who got interviews.. the earliest spots are in november. Is that late does KCOM interview earlier?

My interview is Sept 18. But November is still early, I'm sure you will be fine!