2017-18 Pain Fellowship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

$1andIwontvoteTrump

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's get this application cycle started. Post interview invites below. Any thoughts on programs or other advice appreciated. Gluck to everyone applying this year!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is a fellowship required to do interventional spine procedures if one has good exposure and feels confident after residency?

Is a fellowship required to do interventional spine procedures if one has good exposure and feels confident after residency?

Only if you want to bill under your own name. Feeling confident without a fellowship? That is not confidence you are feeling.

Reactions: 1 user
I know this has probably also been asked but I haven't seen much information. How have people in the past known what programs to rank if there is such limited info on each program?

I know this has probably also been asked but I haven't seen much information. How have people in the past known what programs to rank if there is such limited info on each program?

Rank based on what you see and find out from your interviews. What makes a program great for one person might not be what interests you.

What's everyone's timeline for applications? Obviously earlier the better. I'm waiting on some letters, as well as acceptance to a poster, before I submit my application. Want to make sure I didn't miss the boat.

What's everyone's timeline for applications? Obviously earlier the better. I'm waiting on some letters, as well as acceptance to a poster, before I submit my application. Want to make sure I didn't miss the boat.

From last years thread people were saying february was early but some interviews did go out near the end of february. I am hoping to get in before ITE however i don't know when my medical school will upload my transcript and when all my LORs will be in. what have others done or suggest?

Last edited:

Great question. Interview at as many places as you can. As you go through the interview trail, look for a place that will get you the best exposure over the year. Keep in mind it's only one year.
From what I know, Brigham gets you the best exposure and has the big Harvard name. If you interview there, this place should be ranked high.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied in December when ERAS opened up and I was recently selected to be Chief resident next year after applications already sent out. Do you think it would be beneficial to email programs and let them know of this new accolade? especially since some of the more selective programs look for this distinction, or will this simply risk coming off as arrogant? Also, has anyone been asked for ITE scores yet? I'm wondering if majority of programs are waiting until CA2 scores come back in March or April.

I applied in December when ERAS opened up and I was recently selected to be Chief resident next year after applications already sent out. Do you think it would be beneficial to email programs and let them know of this new accolade? especially since some of the more selective programs look for this distinction, or will this simply risk coming off as arrogant? Also, has anyone been asked for ITE scores yet? I'm wondering if majority of programs are waiting until CA2 scores come back in March or April.

Yes, id email. Congrats btw.

Check the websites of the programs you applied to. They will tell you whether they want your ITE scores or not.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
1. Albany Medical Center (1/30) - 3/24, 4/14, 5/12
2. Dartmouth (2/8) - 4/28
3. Emory (2/10) - 3/18, 4/1

2. Dartmouth (2/8, 2/16) - 4/28
4. UCLA (2/16) - March, April dates

5. Virginia Mason (2/20) - 4/21, 5/1, 5/5

Feel free to message me if you get any invites and want to remain extra anonymous. I'm happy to post it for you. Good luck everyone!

Hi everyone. I have applied through ERAS. Some programs have requested additional documents on their website. Should I go ahead and email them or wait to be contacted?

Hi everyone. I have applied through ERAS. Some programs have requested additional documents on their website. Should I go ahead and email them or wait to be contacted?
Email them.

Feel free to message me if you get any invites and want to remain extra anonymous. I'm happy to post it for you. Good luck everyone!

Do you think if we haven't heard anything from these programs its game over? Or is it a "rolling invite" process?

Do you think if we haven't heard anything from these programs its game over? Or is it a "rolling invite" process?

Isn't it kind of early for this process? Have you all already submitted applications?

I submitted around Christmas, but I was being over cautious...

Ok. Where do you put things like papers/research in process? It seems that there is no place to put things that are not yet published but pending submission.
Have you gotten IVs yet?

Ok. Where do you put things like papers/research in process? It seems that there is no place to put things that are not yet published but pending submission.
Have you gotten IVs yet?

I just put it under submissions....no IVs yet. No rejections. But I could also have received lots of silent rejections!?

This is still very early for interview invitations. From all accounts (previous threads and program coordinators replies'), most programs do not even review applications until March-April. Keep in mind that last year's match was October (with the holiday break in between) this is just the start of the season. I have been told that for fellowships, oftentimes no replies = no interview invites. However, if it is a program you are interested in, I would recommend contacting that program to be certain, as there is also a chance that may score you an interview (applications sometimes get shuffled around), or worst case you know for certain a rejection. Good luck everyone.

While I have had the fortune of a few invites (at this point, I feel like it's luck of the draw..), a couple of schools emailed me through ERAS saying my application was still incomplete. I emailed them back saying that I had submitted everything on December 1st, and one school said that was "too early," and asked me to send the documents (ITE, etc.) again. There might be a disadvantage in submitting too early. This whole process has me a bit confused.

6. UCSD (late February) - 6/1, 6/2, 6/10, 6/13

7. Vanderbilt (3/6) - 4/28, 5/18, 6/2 (all spots filled for now)

2. Dartmouth (2/8, 2/16, 3/7) - 4/28, 5/12
7. Vanderbilt (3/6) - 4/28, 5/18, 6/2 (all spots filled for now)
8. Med College of Wisconsin (3/7) - 7/21, 8/4

Picking up steam. Bolding to show changes to running list

Last edited:
2. Dartmouth (2/8, 2/16, 3/7) - 4/28, 5/12
7. Vanderbilt (3/6) - 4/28, 5/18, 6/2
9. University of Rochester (3/7) - May, June dates

Last edited:
INTERVIEWS
2. Dartmouth (2/8, 2/16, 3/7) - 4/28, 5/12, 5/15
3. Emory (2/10) - 3/18, 4/1, 5/13
10. Cook County (3/8) - 4/5, 4/13, 4/19, 5/10

REJECTIONS
1. Dartmouth (3/8)

Last edited:
INTERVIEWS
2. Dartmouth (2/8, 2/16, 3/7) - 4/28, 5/12, 5/15
3. Emory (2/10) - 3/18, 4/1, 5/13
10. Cook County (3/8) - 4/5, 4/13, 4/19, 5/10

REJECTIONS
1. Dartmouth (3/8)
2. Med College of Wisconsin (3/8)

While I have had the fortune of a few invites (at this point, I feel like it's luck of the draw..), a couple of schools emailed me through ERAS saying my application was still incomplete. I emailed them back saying that I had submitted everything on December 1st, and one school said that was "too early," and asked me to send the documents (ITE, etc.) again. There might be a disadvantage in submitting too early. This whole process has me a bit confused.

Then what is considered an "on time" or "late" submission? Just curious.

Wonder what it means if you've applied to institutions who have sent out rejections but haven't received an interview invite - big pile vs tiering of applicants?

Then what is considered an "on time" or "late" submission? Just curious.

It depends on what programs you are applying to. Look at last year's interview thread and see when each program sent out invites. Most of the programs I was interested in (e.g., Brigham and Women's, MGH, Cleveland Clinic, etc.) sent out their interviews pretty late and interviewed during the Spring/Summer. I had my application in by April/May and got interviews from all the programs I applied to. Most programs don't vary this process from year to year unless there has been a significant change in leadership.

Of course if you're applying to Albany Medical Center, as you can see you are already quite late...

Hopefully some more movement this week. Good luck everyone!

Is it a problem if some of the LOR are not in yet? I'm waiting for some letters, but most of the rest of the app, including the important official documents are all in. Are most programs reviewing apps at this time? Or is it too early yet?

Is it a problem if some of the LOR are not in yet? I'm waiting for some letters, but most of the rest of the app, including the important official documents are all in. Are most programs reviewing apps at this time? Or is it too early yet?

See above. If you were hoping to get some of these early interviews, you're clearly late. But if you wanted to interview at the later locations, you are probably fine. Hard to know for sure when each program starts reviewing our applications.

See above. If you were hoping to get some of these early interviews, you're clearly late. But if you wanted to interview at the later locations, you are probably fine. Hard to know for sure when each program starts reviewing our applications.

How do we know when programs download our apps? All I see is something that says "track documents" where it shows when you submitted/they were available. It does not show if programs have uploaded anything. Anyone have insight into this?

How do we know when programs download our apps? All I see is something that says "track documents" where it shows when you submitted/they were available. It does not show if programs have uploaded anything. Anyone have insight into this?

I don't think there is any way for us to see when programs download or start reviewing our applications.