2016 WHO Heme Classification??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

univlad

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a new WHO Classification coming out this year for hemepath tumors? The original WHO Classification came out in 2000 and was revised in 2008. Just wondering if there is a new monograph or classification due out next year? Anyone have the scoop?

Members don't see this ad.

2016 was slated to be the year, and changes were previewed at USCAP this past March. However, an official publication may or may not happen in 2016, as I've heard budgetary cuts are making it more difficult for people to get together at in-person meetings in order to iron out the details. I heard there was even talk of just making it an electronic publication, as well.

It'll be WHO Edition 4.5. WHO doesn't want to make a 5th edition until it's made all the 4th edition blue books, as apparently of there are a few 3rd editions out there. Though, I'm surprised it's taking as long as it has to come out. Evidently, academics hasn't heard of go to meeting or Skype.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also dissapointed but have heard that the upcoming WHO will not be incorporating many sequence variations except in a few genes including RUNX1, TP53, and a few other limited genes to serve as a signature for Ph-like B-ALL. Also, NPM1 and CEBPA mutated AML will be promoted from provisional to official classification. I'm not sure how much personalized medicine and NGS targeted panels can be mainstreamed into clinical hematopathology practice.

Well, the issue with formal classifications is that they essentially mandate testing for whatever is in the classifications. So the WHO has to be careful that they don't overload every new case with testing for everything under the sun if it doesn't have a clear clinical impact.

Man, I must be ahead of my time (see page 2378 of BLOOD, VOLUME 127, NUMBER 20)... I seem to recall getting into a semi-heated discussion with someone on this forum about mentioning the words "high grade" and "DLBCL" in the same diagnostic line. Their argument was, "I just never heard anyone refer to DLBCL as being high grade until I met you." and "No you said you only order FISH it if has "high-grade" features. If it doesn't have "high-grade" features, presumably you would say that it has "low-grade" features."

OldHHH.jpg

Man, I must be ahead of my time (see page 2378 of BLOOD, VOLUME 127, NUMBER 20)... I seem to recall getting into a semi-heated discussion with someone on this forum about mentioning the words "high grade" and "DLBCL" in the same diagnostic line. Their argument was, "I just never heard anyone refer to DLBCL as being high grade until I met you." and "No you said you only order FISH it if has "high-grade" features. If it doesn't have "high-grade" features, presumably you would say that it has "low-grade" features."

OldHHH.jpg

Reveling in vindication, are we?

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an email today that it will ship in September and is available to order at WHO. It will be a revised 4th edition rather than 5th edition.

WHO Classification of Tumours of Haematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissues, revised 4th edition - WHO - OMS -

WHO Classification of Tumours of Haematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissues, revised 4th edition

WHO Classification of Tumours, Volume 2
IARC WHO Classification of Tumours, No 2
Swerdlow SH, Campo E, Harris NL, Jaffe ES, Pileri SA, Stein H, Thiele J
In press - Noted