2016 Summer Pre-Med Enrichment Program at UPENN Perelman School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Princess

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone else applying for this program?
And for those who have attend this program on the past years what was your experience and ur stats if you don't mind sharing.

Also is there anyone who might be willing to read and edit my essay?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I want to apply here after my junior year so in summer 2017 this will be my main focus. I would love to proofread your essay and help revise. Message me.

Hi! I was one of the students who was selected for the 2015 program. It would be a pleasure to answer any question you may have.

Is there anyone else applying for this program?
And for those who have attend this program on the past years what was your experience and ur stats if you don't mind sharing.

Also is there anyone who might be willing to read and edit my essay?

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be applying to this program as well!

Hi! I was one of the students who was selected for the 2015 program. It would be a pleasure to answer any question you may have.
I am currently working on the essays, would you mind helping me proofread them? If, so I can DM you my email. I would really like to be selected. I already completed SMDEP this past summer but I feel like there is still a lot I can gain from this program.

I am currently working on the essays, would you mind helping me proofread them? If, so I can DM you my email. I would really like to be selected. I already completed SMDEP this past summer but I feel like there is still a lot I can gain from this program.
Nice! Sure, no problem. Best of luck in your application.

Nice! Sure, no problem. Best of luck in your application.
Hey rqf597, can you give some insight on the program? I was accepted but was also accepted into some awesome SMDEP sites and I am torn in my selection. I am leaning more towards UPenn, but I wanted to get insight from your experience. Did you have fun? Did you do a good amount of shadowing? Did you do social activities?

Thanks in advance for any help men

Hey rqf597, can you give some insight on the program? I was accepted but was also accepted into some awesome SMDEP sites and I am torn in my selection. I am leaning more towards UPenn, but I wanted to get insight from your experience. Did you have fun? Did you do a good amount of shadowing? Did you do social activities?

Thanks in advance for any help men
Hi Jay Mark. I was a part of the program last summer. From my experience, it was great. Regarding the program itself, there are the three components.
1) KAPLAN test prep: classes usually on Wednesday and Friday. Perfect for students taking the MCAT in August. I took mine in May. So, it didn't really apply here.

2) Lecture series/ clinical: for the lecture, physicians usually come in to talk about topics, such as what to say during an interview, public health programs, what being a doctor entails, and the process after being a doctor. It's really helpful. For my secondaries, I applied some of the knowledge I learned from these lectures. For the clinical, you can shadow at a variety of places, such as peds, OB/GYN, neuro, psych, etc. the benefit of this is that you go to all of the hospitals around Penn.

3) the research component: this is the best part. You get matched with a mentor and do research with them. You don't really get to decide whether you want clinical or basic. The mentor picks for you. I had clinical. It was very great.

In terms of free time, there's a ton of free time that you can do things. Over the weekend, my roommates and I went to New York. For the Fourth of July, Philly does a lot of fun things. If you're not from the Philly area, this program is the perfect one for learning and having a great city experience with some great members. There are two returners. And, they're awesome.

Let me know if you have questions! I'd be happy to talk more about this.

Hi Jay Mark. I was a part of the program last summer. From my experience, it was great. Regarding the program itself, there are the three components.
1) KAPLAN test prep: classes usually on Wednesday and Friday. Perfect for students taking the MCAT in August. I took mine in May. So, it didn't really apply here.

2) Lecture series/ clinical: for the lecture, physicians usually come in to talk about topics, such as what to say during an interview, public health programs, what being a doctor entails, and the process after being a doctor. It's really helpful. For my secondaries, I applied some of the knowledge I learned from these lectures. For the clinical, you can shadow at a variety of places, such as peds, OB/GYN, neuro, psych, etc. the benefit of this is that you go to all of the hospitals around Penn.

3) the research component: this is the best part. You get matched with a mentor and do research with them. You don't really get to decide whether you want clinical or basic. The mentor picks for you. I had clinical. It was very great.

In terms of free time, there's a ton of free time that you can do things. Over the weekend, my roommates and I went to New York. For the Fourth of July, Philly does a lot of fun things. If you're not from the Philly area, this program is the perfect one for learning and having a great city experience with some great members. There are two returners. And, they're awesome.

Let me know if you have questions! I'd be happy to talk more about this.

Please post in this new forum to help us new applicants https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...-enrichment-program-for-urm-students.1240660/