2016 Airforce COT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DayG

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most of the threads are not updated for COT, so I thought it would be a good idea to have a new one, especially for me!

I will be heading to the 2016 HPSP May 23, in USAF Maxwell Base. I have no prior experience to Airforce/Military life. My Army friend taught me how to stand face and salute, (I practice randomlu)

So far I am pretty sure I can barely pass the PT Test, I have been exercising a lot more to pass, but I want to do everything I can do before COT to make sure it goes smoothly.

I got 2 more weeks and a ton of questions, thanks if you can answer?

1. I found some websites on what to bring to COT Training...How are experiences with having a car at COT? Is it recommended? (I kinda wanna drive there)

2. Do I need to get military ID prior to COT training?

3. Should I get uniforms prior to COT training?

4. I think I can bring a printer, is that a good idea?

5. For those who done it, was there something you wish you knew before going to COT training?

6. I know at the need change ($1, $5) for food, but for clothing on first day, what to wear? Is sweats, or a tshirt/ shorts combo good?

7. Will I only be wearing Airforce clothes, or should I bring civilian clothes too?

I got more questions but ima hold off!

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the threads are not updated for COT, so I thought it would be a good idea to have a new one, especially for me!

I will be heading to the 2016 HPSP May 23, in USAF Maxwell Base. I have no prior experience to Airforce/Military life. My Army friend taught me how to stand face and salute, (I practice randomlu)

So far I am pretty sure I can barely pass the PT Test, I have been exercising a lot more to pass, but I want to do everything I can do before COT to make sure it goes smoothly.

I got 2 more weeks and a ton of questions, thanks if you can answer?

1. I found some websites on what to bring to COT Training...How are experiences with having a car at COT? Is it recommended? (I kinda wanna drive there)

--You can bring your car but you won't be able to use until near the end of training. Several people from my flight had cars there and it was helpful once we were finally able to leave base.

--No, you can get it there. If you have the ability to get it first it might save you waiting in line at COT.

--I did. Not sure if it makes any difference. It was nice to have my name tapes and rank already on though. It took people several weeks to get things back from the uniform shop with their name and rank on. In end I don't think it really makes any difference at all.

--Maybe, although I don't remember needing to print much.

5. For those who done it, was there something you wish you knew before going to COT training?

--The internet access sucks really bad. I would have brought a wifi hotspot. There is wifi but its so slow it's pretty much unusable. I was there a couple of years ago so maybe its better now, but probably not.

6. I know at the need change ($1, $5) for food, but for clothing on first day, what to wear? Is sweats, or a tshirt/ shorts combo good?

--The first day you arrive you should wear pants with a belt and a collared shirt. Don't show up in sweat pants.

7. Will I only be wearing Airforce clothes, or should I bring civilian clothes too?

--Bring a couple of pairs of civilian clothes. Eventually you will be able to go off base and you will want civilian clothes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just to provide another perspective, in case its useful

Having a car is nice and if you can drive then just do that. It's not essential though considering you'll get to use it like 4 times and some people in your flight will have cars.

No, and if you're HPSP they won't give you an ID there because you'll be "active duty status" so they won't give you an active duty ID. (I had my reserves ID and I tried to get my active duty CAC card when I was there)

I recommend going to an AF base and getting 3 pairs of ABU's that fit and 2 covers and a pair of good boots. Then get your stuff sewn on. Here's why-- when I went, they were out of my size, so I had to spend $$$ on ABU's that didn't fit me just to have something to wear. Then when they restocked I had to go back and spend more $$$ getting ABU's that did fit. Then to get your stuff sewn on takes a long time and you can't do all of your uniforms at once because you have to have some to wear every day. Plus, I had 1 choice in boots, which are a useless waste of $150. For sure get some Danner's/Nike/Rocky boots before you go, imo. This all being said, it's not a huge deal if you can't get your uniforms before hand. 99% of the people will be getting their uniforms. Just something I wish I had done.

I brought mine and it stayed in my car because I didn't need it. Other people in my flight had printers. But if you drive then yeah, bring it along.

Just make sure PT won't be an issue. Do the PT test every day before you go just to make sure. They don't really care how well you do but some people failed and they had remedial PT and it seemed like a pain. I guess I wish I had known that we basically wouldn't get any freedoms until the last week there. I guess I hoped it would be sooner but we were "phase 1" or whatever pretty much the whole time.

Yeah bring a lot of cash and wear a polo tucked in or something so you don't look like a slacker.

Bring some civilian clothes for the last week or so when you finally get to leave base but I think I only needed like 2 shirts/shorts total... so don't feel like you need to have a full wardrobe

Fire away

Just to provide another perspective, in case its useful

Having a car is nice and if you can drive then just do that. It's not essential though considering you'll get to use it like 4 times and some people in your flight will have cars.

No, and if you're HPSP they won't give you an ID there because you'll be "active duty status" so they won't give you an active duty ID. (I had my reserves ID and I tried to get my active duty CAC card when I was there)

I recommend going to an AF base and getting 3 pairs of ABU's that fit and 2 covers and a pair of good boots. Then get your stuff sewn on. Here's why-- when I went, they were out of my size, so I had to spend $$$ on ABU's that didn't fit me just to have something to wear. Then when they restocked I had to go back and spend more $$$ getting ABU's that did fit. Then to get your stuff sewn on takes a long time and you can't do all of your uniforms at once because you have to have some to wear every day. Plus, I had 1 choice in boots, which are a useless waste of $150. For sure get some Danner's/Nike/Rocky boots before you go, imo. This all being said, it's not a huge deal if you can't get your uniforms before hand. 99% of the people will be getting their uniforms. Just something I wish I had done.

I brought mine and it stayed in my car because I didn't need it. Other people in my flight had printers. But if you drive then yeah, bring it along.

Just make sure PT won't be an issue. Do the PT test every day before you go just to make sure. They don't really care how well you do but some people failed and they had remedial PT and it seemed like a pain. I guess I wish I had known that we basically wouldn't get any freedoms until the last week there. I guess I hoped it would be sooner but we were "phase 1" or whatever pretty much the whole time.

Yeah bring a lot of cash and wear a polo tucked in or something so you don't look like a slacker.

Bring some civilian clothes for the last week or so when you finally get to leave base but I think I only needed like 2 shirts/shorts total... so don't feel like you need to have a full wardrobe

Fire away

Hey thanks man, last question, can I have a mustache? I know I gotta pretty much shave everything, but whenever I shave my mustache, I just look weird.

I have a few questions too, and don't seem to find them too easily.
How hard is the OTS/COT school for healthcare workers?
What are the living accommodations while in training? Do you get a private room and bathroom, or is it like in basic training?

Thanks in advance!

What are the living accommodations while in training? Do you get a private room and bathroom, or is it like in basic training?

Thanks in advance!
Its not hard at all...or wasnt whenuwent in 2010.
You live in a dorm setup with 1 roommate and you have a bathroom in the room.

Thanks in advance!

Just got home from COT. @teacherman84, It is getting more rigorous due to new leadership wanting to break the stigma of commissioned officers not being real officers. You will have a roommate and share a bathroom. Apparently they had maids clean your room in the past, but now learning how to fold your shirts, hospital corners, organize closet properly, etc is a part of the program and you'll have at least 3-4 dorm inspections that will lead to demerits if anything is not grounded within a few cm of where they tell you.

Just got home from COT. @teacherman84, It is getting more rigorous due to new leadership wanting to break the stigma of commissioned officers not being real officers. You will have a roommate and share a bathroom. Apparently they had maids clean your room in the past, but now learning how to fold your shirts, hospital corners, organize closet properly, etc is a part of the program and you'll have at least 3-4 dorm inspections that will lead to demerits if anything is not grounded within a few cm of where they tell you.
That sucks...the maids were great. Id come home and find my bed made and my PT gear I left balled up on the floor folded on my desk chair.

Reactions: 1 users
That sucks...the maids were great. Id come home and find my bed made and my PT gear I left balled up on the floor folded on my desk chair.

Lol I got a demerit for having a smudge on the BOTTOM of the faucet on my sink xD

It's okay. I failed every uniform inspection when I went through. They realize that they can't do anything to you but graduate you.

I was just terrified that I'd get sent home and have to waste an away rotation coming back 3rd year. 30-40 ppl in my class got sent home for PT/Injury reasons so I wasn't going to test it.

Failing PT is one thing, not having your dorm cleaned to their specifications is something else. Make sure you can do pushups, sit-ups and the run

I just got home from COT about a week ago, so I'm good on that front, but while we are on the topic of PT. When you are an attending do you still do biannual PT tests if you cant get above a certain percentage?

Sorry that question was obvious, what I was getting at was this: When some of the COT leadership were talking about PT one of them made a comment that sounded like, "Sure you can just try to keep waiving it [PT exams], but excelling in PT makes you a good example to your subordinates." Is it difficult to stay in shape during an active duty residency and beyond, and if not do you know anyone that struggled in that area?

Sorry that question was obvious, what I was getting at was this: When some of the COT leadership were talking about PT one of them made a comment that sounded like, "Sure you can just try to keep waiving it [PT exams], but excelling in PT makes you a good example to your subordinates." Is it difficult to stay in shape during an active duty residency and beyond, and if not do you know anyone that struggled in that area?
I don't know all the details, but I know an AFHPSP recipient got kicked out of residency and active duty after pgy-2 at one of the FM residencies last year.

I don't know all the details, but I know an AFHPSP recipient got kicked out of residency and active duty after pgy-2 at one of the FM residencies last year.

Yes, that happened. Realize that passing a PT test is quite easy. Do push-ups and sit ups every day at home. They take ~5 minutes of your day and you can do them before getting ready for work or right before going to sleep. On your off days, run for 30 minutes at a time leading up to testing month. In the weeks before your exam, focus on 200-600 meter sprints. Anyone should be able to run 1.5 miles in 11 minutes doing that.