2016-2017 Yale University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The only Yale-owned apartments worth considering are the York-Crown units, which are almost definitely gone by now. There is someone in our first-year class who managed to snag one, so I guess there's always a chance. Otherwise, the Yale housing application is irrelevant to you if you're trying to get one of the New Haven Towers apartments.

Members don't see this ad.

The only Yale-owned apartments worth considering are the York-Crown units, which are almost definitely gone by now. There is someone in our first-year class who managed to snag one, so I guess there's always a chance. Otherwise, the Yale housing application is irrelevant to you if you're trying to get one of the New Haven Towers apartments.

What's bad about the other Yale owned apartments? And no, I'm not looking at Towers because of the price. Way earlier in the thread I had confused the Towers with some of the Yale owned places, in case you were referring to that. If all else fails I'll just stay in harkness for a year and then get a regular apartment to share when I can actually see the properties.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
They're a little far for most people's tastes. The shuttle routes also don't work out well for Mansfield or Whitehall. Shuttles go up that way in the morning/evening but don't come back down to the med school. But the towers are way overpriced, totally agree. Take a hard look at the Yale apartments and compare to putting up with the slight inconvenience of being in Harkness for the first year. Distance over everything else for me, especially when unfamiliar with the city at first.

Reactions: 1 user
What's bad about the other Yale owned apartments? And no, I'm not looking at Towers because of the price. Way earlier in the thread I had confused the Towers with some of the Yale owned places, in case you were referring to that. If all else fails I'll just stay in harkness for a year and then get a regular apartment to share when I can actually see the properties.

I have found places in the towers for ~900$ (roughly 2700 for a 3BD), whereas medium rooms in Harkness go for around $700 I believe. Given that Harkness rooms do not have convenient access to a kitchen, it seems like people generally eat out instead of cooking. The added expense of eating out probably narrows the price difference between Harkness and the Towers a bit.

I have found places in the towers for ~900$ (roughly 2700 for a 3BD), whereas medium rooms in Harkness go for around $700 I believe. Given that Harkness rooms do not have convenient access to a kitchen, it seems like people generally eat out instead of cooking. The added expense of eating out probably narrows the price difference between Harkness and the Towers a bit.
Yes and no. If you live in the towers but don't have a car, it does not solve the bottleneck problem that is buying groceries. I don't see how having a kitchen does you that much good then. Harkness kitchens can be a pain (especially if you don't live on a floor with a kitchen), but the actual bottleneck is accessibility to groceries without a car, not that you need carry your groceries down/up a floor to go the kitchen. Those who don't have a car and don't want to incessantly bother people for rides tend to use Peapod delivery, either in Harkness or the towers. Just something to consider.

For those of you who submitted updates/letter of interest through the portal, did you get an email confirmation from the admissions afterwards?

For the current students, what are some of the things Yale students do in the summer between M1 and M2, other than the ones who do research?

Somewhat related, it's kind of annoying that the cost of living budget for financial aid/loans is only on a 9 month calendar for M1, although this isn't limited to Yale.

This might seem like a petty question (water is very important though!!), but do most people (without cars) get water from drinking fountains? The water from drinking fountains around New Haven smells funny and doesn't taste good.

This might seem like a petty question (water is very important though!!), but do most people (without cars) get water from drinking fountains? The water from drinking fountains around New Haven smells funny and doesn't taste good.
Ugh I drink from the fountains at the med school and the Harkness dorm... I can't discern any problems with the water? Unless you have some next level palate lol. Maybe you just had a bad experience in the past.

For the current students, what are some of the things Yale students do in the summer between M1 and M2, other than the ones who do research?

Somewhat related, it's kind of annoying that the cost of living budget for financial aid/loans is only on a 9 month calendar for M1, although this isn't limited to Yale.

Most people do research although opportunities are really open to you if you want to do something else. Have heard of people pursuing consulting internships/working in biotech startups/working in health policy/global health work/just traveling too. So if you want to do something you will be able to make it happen.

Our water is clean as fuq. CT has pretty strict water laws (cannot source from major industry-exposed rivers, cannot reuse water from drains) compared with most locales. I bet our water is cleaner than where you're from, unless you're from a town that sources from the Rockies. If you really can't deal, buy an extra Brita water filter, it'll get rid of any "funny smells"

But plz don't go out buying up crates of bottled water for no reason. Plastic is so bad, so bad. ugh

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Could any of the admitted students (not current medical students) talk about their experience at second look? Thank you!

You can do whatever you want but the path of least resistance and most encouragement is to do research. You come to find your life is defined more by funding than you'd like. Since there is only guaranteed funding for summer research, the vast majority of people end up choosing that path. I was highly qualified for many other jobs/internships this summer but the funding just wasn't there and I couldn't make it happen. It sucked. I don't actually know anyone who is not doing research here or elsewhere this summer, but I'm not the most connected. (Okay not all the global health people are research, but I still consider that academic b/c it's expected to be.)

If you want to get more work experience, that's definitely possible, but good luck finding something that funded to the tune of $6k for 10-12k. Industry pays around that amount, but they wouldn't necessarily be interested in taking med students anyway

You can do whatever you want but the path of least resistance and most encouragement is to do research. You come to find your life is defined more by funding than you'd like. Since there is only guaranteed funding for summer research, the vast majority of people end up choosing that path. I was highly qualified for many other jobs/internships this summer but the funding just wasn't there and I couldn't make it happen. It sucked. I don't actually know anyone who is not doing research here or elsewhere this summer, but I'm not the most connected. (Okay not all the global health people are research, but I still consider that academic b/c it's expected to be.)

If you want to get more work experience, that's definitely possible, but good luck finding something that funded to the tune of $6k for 10-12k. Industry pays around that amount, but they wouldn't necessarily be interested in taking med students anyway

Now I see. I'll try to get research funding to cover the costs of that summer. The expenses were my main concern. Thanks.

If you're doi NV

If you want to get more work experience, that's definitely possible, but good luck finding something that funded to the tune of $6k for 10-12k. Industry pays around that amount, but they wouldn't necessarily be interested in taking med students anyway[/QUOT

If you're doing research to cover your expenses during the summer, do you also need to save some of that money for the next academic year? As in, would working during the summer increase your expected student contribution for the following academic year? Thanks!

Our cost of attendance budget increases after the first year

2017-2018 Budget > Medical Education at Yale | Yale School of Medicine

Thank you. What I meant is, if we work summer 2018, would our expected student contribution for the 2018-2019 academic year increase because of the summer income? I know the standard contribution by the student is $2,500, but would that be increased if we work for a couple of months? So that we would be expected to pay more out of pocked since we earned some money? Sorry if my question is confusing!

The summer stipend does not affect financial aid. Student contribution would be the same. You would need to pay taxes on the stipend when you file taxes in 2019 for the 2018 tax year b/c a 1099 for 2018 will be issued for the stipend and counts as taxable income (whereas financial aid grants from the 1098-T is not taxable).

If you do some other work in summer 2018 that is not part of the research stipend and you got paid in W2 or 1099 wages, it would count as income for the following academic year 2019-2020, since your 2018-2019 financial aid forms will have been due in April 2018 of MS1 before you worked in the summer. How much this would affect financial aid obviously depends on how much you were paid. If there is even any effect at all, I would not expect it to be large at all unless you pulled in a substantial amount.

Reactions: 1 users
The summer stipend does not affect financial aid. Student contribution would be the same. You would need to pay taxes on the stipend when you file taxes in 2019 for the 2018 tax year b/c a 1099 for 2018 will be issued for the stipend and counts as taxable income (whereas financial aid grants from the 1098-T is not taxable).

If you do some other work in summer 2018 that is not part of the research stipend and you got paid in W2 or 1099 wages, it would count as income for the following academic year 2019-2020, since your 2018-2019 financial aid forms will have been due in April 2018 of MS1 before you worked in the summer. How much this would affect financial aid obviously depends on how much you were paid. If there is even any effect at all, I would not expect it to be large at all unless you pulled in a substantial amount.
Thanks for clarifying!

WL calls will go out this week. Richard moves pretty quickly. I suggest that you DO NOT expect a call really early on for your sanity. Good luck all.

Just wanted to add that the WL process extends into late June, sometimes even July. I got in at the end of May, which seemed like a bitter eternity until I met people who got off like June 30th. It sucks, I know. But I hope most of you already have a great school to attend and Yale would only be the extra icing. Good luck to everyone once again!

How is parking for the dorms? I'm debating if I should bring my car. Or would a motorcycle be enough?

How is parking for the dorms? I'm debating if I should bring my car. Or would a motorcycle be enough?

I'm bringing my car, but parking is around $1300 for a year for the closest deck. Other one is 900 something.

I'm bringing my car, but parking is around $1300 for a year for the closest deck. Other one is 900 something.

Any idea what the motorcycle permit costs? I can't find the information on their website.

Motorcycle would be dope. Not good for groceries but would be super good for getting around. No idea where you'd park that though, probably pay a similar price in the garages.

Motorcycle would be dope. Not good for groceries but would be super good for getting around. No idea where you'd park that though, probably pay a similar price in the garages.

Motorcycle parking is often free in parking decks, so it's worth calling the parking office to check that out. I considered selling my car and getting a Vespa, but I wouldn't want to ride that **** in the winter up there. My southern blood will be cold enough already.

For those who might be interested, there has been WL movement according to fb group.

Say on a scale from 1-10 approximately how generous does Yale tend to be w/need-based $ aid?

How do they let you know if you've been accepted off the waitlist?

I remember reading somewhere that Yale lets you know your place on the waiting list (top third, middle third, last third). Does anyone know if this is true?

I remember reading somewhere that Yale lets you know your place on the waiting list (top third, middle third, last third). Does anyone know if this is true?
Yes. Email telling you this will come in early June. If you hear back in May, you won't need to have this WL update in June, obviously.

Just reserved a spot in Harkness. I decided to go with a small room and keep my car.

Just reserved a spot in Harkness. I decided to go with a small room and keep my car.
Welcome! Good to have you :highfive:

I do have a budgeting question: would you say that the ~$2300 earmarked for "books and supplies" is too little or too much for what you actually need for school in year 1?

Way too much unless you include electronics like laptop or monitor in it

I do have a budgeting question: would you say that the ~$2300 earmarked for "books and supplies" is too little or too much for what you actually need for school in year 1?

I have a similar question - is the 1300 for "electronic equipment" for a computer? I have mine from undergrad, but it has seen better days.

Yes, the electronic equipment is implied for computers or other necessities. You don't need to purchase anything specifically electronic for school, so use it as you wish. Or keep it and repay your loans faster!

What about the deposit? You pay the $100 to hold your place in the class and it'll be credited to your account for the fall semester. Once you pay, you should get a receipt and that's it. Nothing more

Peehaps it is too early to lose hope for the WL, but 20+ people have been added to the FB group since May 1. Not looking very good :unsure: Really hoping that there is more space in the class this year.

Peehaps it is too early to lose hope for the WL, but 20+ people have been added to the FB group since May 1. Not looking very good :unsure: Really hoping that there is more space in the class this year.

Some of those people could also be folks who have taken a fifth year and are being bumped into our graduating class. There is still time!

Not sure if this was answered earlier, but does anyone know if Yale tends to waitlist a lot of people, or if you're waitlisted, you actually have a chance? Trying to find a glimmer of hope!

Not sure if this was answered earlier, but does anyone know if Yale tends to waitlist a lot of people, or if you're waitlisted, you actually have a chance? Trying to find a glimmer of hope!
~20% of the class comes from the waitlist, but as a fraction of the entire waitlist pool it is hard to say beyond what is reported in MSAR.

Silverman will be in touch in a few weeks regarding waitlist ranking, if last year is any guide.