2016-2017 Yale University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone here know what West Haven is like? Looks like rent is a lot cheaper and you can still ride a bike...
It's a fine neighborhood but you're going to really cut off from your classmates once you go home. No one heads into the West Haven direction. During many weeks of the winter, biking regularly is not the most realistic option. You can tough it out with a properly equipped mountain bike, sure, but when East Rock and Wooster Sq offer similar rents with more social interaction and convenience of shuttles, it's hard to argue for West Haven as a good alternative.

Do current students have anything to say about the Prospect st dorms or graduate apartments (e.g., esplanade)?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone here know what West Haven is like? Looks like rent is a lot cheaper and you can still ride a bike...

Depends what part of West Haven you are looking at. Many areas are not particularly safe, and it is rare that medical students live west of Dwight/Howe Street although the Yale bubble is expanding.

Was anyone else disappointed with their financial aid package? Yale is providing me with a lot less aid than other schools. I thought Yale was supposed to be known for generous financial aid, so I am confused.

Was anyone else disappointed with their financial aid package? Yale is providing me with a lot less aid than other schools. I thought Yale was supposed to be known for generous financial aid, so I am confused.
When did you get yours? I haven't gotten anything.

Haven't gotten mine either, probably just going out few at a time.

I was told it is all need based. Maybe your parents income is pretty high? I think combined income of 140k or higher is considered a lot...

I was told it is all need based. Maybe your parents income is pretty high? I think combined income of 140k or higher is considered a lot...
Given my parents income, I was not expecting full tuition. However, I received packages from other schools that also reflected need based aid, and there was a huge difference between those reports and Yale's.

Given my parents income, I was not expecting full tuition. However, I received packages from other schools that also reflected need based aid, and there was a huge difference between those reports and Yale's.

Well damn, I was hoping for a lot of love here too.... I think it is terrible how intrasparent the entire process is. If it is truly just need based then they shouldn't have a problem indicating how they reach these decisions....

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Yale ever matches a better financial aid offer from a different school?

Does anyone know if Yale ever matches a better financial aid offer from a different school?
Anecdotally, I've heard of this happening. If you have questions about your package, try bringing it up with the financial aid office.

I also highly recommend East Rock. Rents are known to be $500-700/room within proximity of all Yale shuttles, coffee shops, local grocery stores, a restaurant district, and scenic running trails. Also a short bike ride to campus.

Reactions: 1 user
If there's a huge difference b/w need-based aid from different schools of the same tier, ask the financial aid giving the lesser offer what factors led to their decision. The answer likely has to do with how they calculate assets or misc income or some other ******* artifact of our income system. The other possibility is that your own impression of your family income level is off. I've heard classmates complain about financial aid and then realized their combined family income was over $200k. Yeah, that's before taxes and family expenses and blah blah but you understand my point. One more possibility is that the other schools you're comparing to have a merit component to their package that was not made explicitly clear to you. Yale does not do this at all. There is a formula of sorts that allows for flexibility and out comes a number. Bottom line – call them up and ask about the details, they should be happy to review it with you.

Also, every school responds to competing financial offers, especially at this caliber of schools. If they do not consider your request, then you should not consider their offer of admission, simple as that. :luck:

No one lives in west haven. Again, NO ONE LIVES IN WEST HAVEN.

95%of my class lives in central new haven. I'm talking of the area as bounded by SRC to the west, the train track to the east. The sim center is the farthest south bound, and the management school is the farthest north - this is anecdotal, but pretty much anything within this will be at most a 20 min walk from class. I'll try to make a map later for clarity since New Haven has many non-parallel streets. Anyone who doesn't live within this box is married or engaged, with the exception I think of a handful in Wooster square, which is closer than east rock. East rock is popular for fifth year students but not in first year.

I realize people might come from schools where it is normal to live in the suburbs and drive in, but I can't stress how much this is not an option at Yale, unless you have serious extenuating circumstances like being married and have to raise kids in a suburb with good schools. I really want to help people have a realistic expectation of this, so I don't want to come off as mean, but people really really really don't live far away in first year. No one will visit you, you cannot go out with classmates, you will spend a fortune on parking, and you will not save money.

No one lives in west haven. Again, NO ONE LIVES IN WEST HAVEN.

95%of my class lives in central new haven. I'm talking of the area as bounded by SRC to the west, the train track to the east. The sim center is the farthest south bound, and the management school is the farthest north - this is anecdotal, but pretty much anything within this will be at most a 20 min walk from class. I'll try to make a map later for clarity since New Haven has many non-parallel streets. Anyone who doesn't live within this box is married or engaged, with the exception I think of a handful in Wooster square, which is closer than east rock. East rock is popular for fifth year students but not in first year.

I realize people might come from schools where it is normal to live in the suburbs and drive in, but I can't stress how much this is not an option at Yale, unless you have serious extenuating circumstances like being married and have to raise kids in a suburb with good schools. I really want to help people have a realistic expectation of this, so I don't want to come off as mean, but people really really really don't live far away in first year. No one will visit you, you cannot go out with classmates, you will spend a fortune on parking, and you will not save money.

For clarity's sake: I am the outlier with a wife and kid (two year old) so I am looking at things that are both close and more affordable until she finds something.

You seem to know the area though. How is Westville? It also seems like you could bike in from there...

Edit: And what areas are absolute no go's?

Last edited:
For clarity's sake: I am the outlier with a wife and kid (two year old) so I am looking at things that are both close and more affordable until she finds something.

You seem to know the area though. How is Westville? It also seems like you could bike in from there...

Edit: And what areas are absolute no go's?

Hi! Congrats on being admitted! Everyone's SOs are very welcome at or events and definitely become a strong social part of the class if they desire. With only 104 people, your family is our family.

If you are living here four years, then consider looking at public schools when making a housing selection. Westville is quite nice, as is Hamden where the one person in our class with a family lives. If you're considering biking, I think the route from Hamden is a lot nicer than the one from Westville, and remember it can get pretty cold in the winter. I would budget for parking at least in the colder months. I think Branford and North Haven are nice, but I'd stay away from fair haven and newhalville at all costs. Orange is nice in areas, especially around the Whole Foods (haha). Your best bet is to ask some attendings or residents, but if you PM me I can connect you to the one suburb dweller in my class or even just someone more native to the area.

Last edited:
Oh one last thing: house buying.

New Haven has a special 10k down payment grant to buy here, but I don't remember if that applies to the county or only downtown. Also, a classmate of mine put together a great tool to decide whether to buy or rent if that's something you are interested in. I think in general association fees are so high that buying a condo is usually infeasible, but if your financial situation allows there are circumstances in which a brownstone apartment makes sense especially in cheaper neighboorhoods. Plus, if you ever have to rent it out, new haven has the lowest vacancy rate in the country.

Has anyone at SLW heard anything regarding when the remaining financial aid offers may be released?

Has anyone at SLW heard anything regarding when the remaining financial aid offers may be released?

I am not at SLW, but I called on monday and they said they would be out by the end of the week. I don't know if I believe them though to be honest.

Westville is lame. The houses are really old with lousy foundations (generally). If you have a family, go to Hamden or East Rock. To stress what @a_borgia said, if you don't have a family, don't get creative and live far away. This is the big bad Northeast, but Podunk country where the roads are wide and parking is freely available. You won't save any money and you'll be isolated.

Any interesting updates from second look?

I just talked to them. Thay said they prioritized people who attended second look so if you didn't then you can expect a package either this week or next.

Has anyone received any info about pre-matriculation requirements or setting up a Yale email etc?

^ Too early. That stuff won't come until May after you've submitted your matriculation forms.
Yale doesn't care about prereqs. You'll never from them about it and I wouldn't be the one to bring them up either :shifty:

^ Too early. That stuff won't come until May after you've submitted your matriculation forms.
Yale doesn't care about prereqs. You'll never from them about it and I wouldn't be the one to bring them up either :shifty:

Thanks. I'm mostly interested in the physical and vaccination stuff since I will lose my insurance this summer after I quit my job. Just want to make sure my doctor has the right paperwork to fill out.

I could also use that yale.edu email to get a discount on a new laptop lol

Anyone have the second look video that was shown over lunch on Friday?

Anyone have the second look video that was shown over lunch on Friday?
It'll be uploaded this weekend I think...the people working on it are making some changes and this is a busy week for many people with our summer research proposals coming due soon

Does anyone have info on if/when we get calls about waitlist tiers?

Does anyone have info on if/when we get calls about waitlist tiers?
Information about tiers comes via email around end of May or early June, once the first waves of WL acceptances are already given out starting May 1. Richard moves pretty quickly after the response deadline to start accepting off the WL. He is also very frank in the tier email as to what the chances are looking like for those in each tier given the movement in May. Really great guy all around, esp when compared to other schools on transparency

ipad minis are awesome. Heavily subsidized by the school. We payed $79 for them.

In what ways are you using them on rotation?
googling answers on rounds (mostly medication information/dosing), looking up acronyms when its not the proper moment to ask, finding studies quickly that may impact which drug we prescribe, and then practice questions for boards during any downtime.

Its really helpful because I don't have to just write down topics or names of stuff I want to look up later and sit there confused until I have a minute to go research it. I can immediately get the answers I need and then ask the residents/fellows/attendings questions about it.

And if nothing else, I'd recommend buying it at $79 and selling it to take advantage of the subsidy.

And if nothing else, I'd recommend buying it at $79 and selling it to take advantage of the subsidy.
All about that hustle life huh

Hey is anyone else still waiting on the financial aid package? I had all my stuff in before the deadline and when I call they are decidedly unhelpful...

Does this mean we get the shaft for any of the non-Harkness options? I was hoping to try and snag an apartment.

Yeah I guess I talked to them this morning and they said we should contact the med school to get an ID if we want to apply.

The apartments will be given out next week apparently so I imagine we are SOL...

Yeah I guess I talked to them this morning and they said we should contact the med school to get an ID if we want to apply.

The apartments will be given out next week apparently so I imagine we are SOL...

I just talked to admissions and they said they're working on getting IDs out to us. Housing office is in the loop and will make sure we have options available, so there's no need to worry.

Does this mean we get the shaft for any of the non-Harkness options? I was hoping to try and snag an apartment.

I don't even know what this application is? Why not just call the apartment complex directly and rent a unit?