2016-2017 Wright State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone will be able to answer, this but it's worth a shot. At my interview, they mentioned that Wright State is going to implement an entirely new curriculum (starting July 2017) and completely get rid of their anatomy course. I was wondering how they will incorporate anatomy into the curriculum? I saw that there is a "brief dissection immersion" lasting approximately 2-3 weeks but that can't be nearly enough time to dissect the entire donor. I would appreciate any insight!

If I understand it correctly, dissection will be distributed throughout the systems courses. When you do GI, you will do the GI dissections, etc...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard anything regarding scholarships?

Either merit based or need based ones. I saw the financial aid come through on their website but was curious if anyone knows about scholarships.

I received a reply email from Michelle from financial aid stating that there's essentially no need-based aid, only merit scholarships. She wrote that scholarships for admitted/incoming students will be awarded "ending April."

Hope that helps!

I received a reply email from Michelle from financial aid stating that there's essentially no need-based aid, only merit scholarships. She wrote that scholarships for admitted/incoming students will be awarded "ending April."

Hope that helps!

I talked to her today and from what I understood the scholarships have already been awarded to students. She is expecting to have a second wave of scholarships given out around June 1 after movement has settled from traffic day.

Reactions: 1 users
I heard that we'll be working with prosected donors so we won't be doing much dissection.
When the new curriculum was explained to us, this was not mentioned. As far as I'm aware, you guys will still be using donors, but I could be totally wrong. I would consider your source; if it was just through the grapevine, IDK if I would trust it.

For what it's worth, if I could go back in time and study off of prosections, I would. The act of dissection itself did very little for me, and the majority of my learning came from spending long hours after class with the donors.

I heard that we'll be working with prosected donors so we won't be doing much dissection.
It will be a combination of both, there will definitely still be a heavy reliance on donors. Prosections are used all the time to supplement what will be dissected in class so they will be there as well.

Just withdrew; hope my spot goes to one of you sexy beasts ;)

Apologies if this is something that has already been addressed, but could someone tell me, are most of the M1 lectures throughout the week available online? If so, about what percent of the class attends lectures vs watching them online? Thank you.

Just heard about the huge budget cuts to Boonshoft school of Medicine...anybody else know how big of a deal this is?

Just heard about the huge budget cuts to Boonshoft school of Medicine...anybody else know how big of a deal this is?

Ugh. I don't know how big of a deal this is, but it doesn't make me very happy especially since the athletic department's funds are being increased. If anyone else is able to get more information, I'd love to know more.

It will be noticed very little. We are privately funded and are loaning the money to the university to help bail them out. The news articles are a bit misleading.

Reactions: 3 users
I called the school and discussed this with them as well. Apparently, Boonshoft School of Medicine is actually doing quite well and is 'loaning' the money to the undergraduate institution and other affiliated programs to help them out. Regardless, it will not have any noticeable effect on the incoming M1 class. The article I ran across was very poorly written and did not explain this at all.

It will be noticed very little. We are privately funded and are loaning the money to the university to help bail them out. The news articles are a bit misleading.
I called the school and discussed this with them as well. Apparently, Boonshoft School of Medicine is actually doing quite well and is 'loaning' the money to the undergraduate institution and other affiliated programs to help them out. Regardless, it will not have any noticeable effect on the incoming M1 class. The article I ran across was very poorly written and did not explain this at all.

Thanks for passing this along, guys!

Apologies if this is something that has already been addressed, but could someone tell me, are most of the M1 lectures throughout the week available online? If so, about what percent of the class attends lectures vs watching them online? Thank you.
All lectures are posted online after the lecture is over. Attendance depends. During some classes everyone will go and others very few will. By the end of year two most people have found what works the most efficiently and usually that means not attending lectures. Most activities in class are engaged learning though so the old style "lectures" as most people know them are no more. Medical school is a totally different learning atmosphere

Accepted off the waitlist this weekend, and I will be taking the acceptance. I was in the middle-third, so for anyone stressing that is in the middle/lower-third have some hope.

Accepted off the waitlist this weekend, and I will be taking the acceptance. I was in the middle-third, so for anyone stressing that is in the middle/lower-third have some hope.
Congratulations! Thanks for letting us know - I am in the bottom third so I know it is a bit of a long shot for me but you never know!