2016-2017 Wright State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello Debbie! Could you speak on how far in advance the interviews are being scheduled at BSOM?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Debbie! Could you speak on how far in advance the interviews are being scheduled at BSOM?
We are scheduling early to mid November. If invited for an interview you may pick any date that is available that fits your schedule. At times we may have an opening from a cancellation or more interviewers signing up for a certain day. We will give you our next available date and go from there.

Reactions: 1 user
We are scheduling early to mid November. If invited for an interview you may pick any date that is available that fits your schedule. At times we may have an opening from a cancellation or more interviewers signing up for a certain day. We will give you our next available date and go from there.
Hi @macdeb59 Debbie, in your experience, do interview invites go out more quickly after the first day decisions are released as some people may turn down interview invites since they have been accepted at a school they would rather attend elsewhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
@macdeb59 Hi Debbie, is WSU releasing acceptances to students from a particular interview date range? For example, at least one school that I know of has communicated that they are releasing acceptances for students that interviewed up until 10/3. Is WSU Boonshoft in a similar situation?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi @macdeb59 Debbie, in your experience, do interview invites go out more quickly after the first day decisions are released as some people may turn down interview invites since they have been accepted at a school they would rather attend elsewhere?
No, not really. We have to do interview invites paced, because if we made all the interview invitations at one time we will be booking February interviews in September and schedules change in that large of a time frame. I know it is hard, but be patient with the system. :)

Sounds good. Thanks for the reply!
No, not really. We have to do interview invites paced, because if we made all the interview invitations at one time we will be booking February interviews in September and schedules change in that large of a time frame. I know it is hard, but be patient with the system. :)

Hi @macdeb59 does WSU do interviews based on stats or based on first come first serve basis? So would applicant A who had maybe a 505 mcat and say 3.6 gpa and submitted his secondary in early august versus applicant B who had maybe a 512 mcat and say a 3.8 gpa but submitted his secondary app in October; who would WSU give preference to for an interview invite? I am curious because I have submitted my app in late July and have not received any communication after that. Thank you!

I've been complete since mid-July and haven't heard back yet. Is there still a chance that I might be getting an invite in the near future?
Edit: thank you very much for your response.
You could receive an interview invitation from now until February.

Hi @macdeb59 does WSU do interviews based on stats or based on first come first serve basis? So would applicant A who had maybe a 505 mcat and say 3.6 gpa and submitted his secondary in early august versus applicant B who had maybe a 512 mcat and say a 3.8 gpa but submitted his secondary app in October; who would WSU give preference to for an interview invite? I am curious because I have submitted my app in late July and have not received any communication after that. Thank you!
Applicants are reviewed as quickly as possible. In state is started first and then out of state a week or so later. We have committee members working on both. Since we are a state school our most interview invites will go to instate. Out of state are interviewed as well, just less of them. We accept about 30% from out of state. With that said....when reviewed if a decision was not made to interview you may be looked at again later in the process and invited for an interview. That is why rejections are not made after the first evaluation. Decisions to invite for an interview are not solely based on GPA and MCAT scores. Volunteer, leadership activities, clinic experience etc is taken into consideration as well.

I hope this helps. I know this is long process for y0u....as well as on our end.

Reactions: 7 users
Applicants are reviewed as quickly as possible. In state is started first and then out of state a week or so later. We have committee members working on both. Since we are a state school our most interview invites will go to instate. Out of state are interviewed as well, just less of them. We accept about 30% from out of state. With that said....when reviewed if a decision was not made to interview you may be looked at again later in the process and invited for an interview. That is why rejections are not made after the first evaluation. Decisions to invite for an interview are not solely based on GPA and MCAT scores. Volunteer, leadership activities, clinic experience etc is taken into consideration as well.

I hope this helps. I know this is long process for y0u....as well as on our end.

Okay thank you for the detailed response!*crosses fingers for good luck*

As of October 28, 2016 I will be retired and will be unavailable to assist on this page. If you have any questions please email the Admissions office at [email protected] and someone will help you. We want you to have as much information as possible so you are not kept guessing or being unnecessarily worried. Please be patient with the process and the Admissions office as they transition after I am gone.

It's been a pleasure helping you on this part of your journey to become physicians. Best of luck in your futures.

Reactions: 21 users
As of October 28, 2016 I will be retired and will be unavailable to assist on this page. If you have any questions please email the Admissions office at [email protected] and someone will help you. We want you to have as much information as possible so you are not kept guessing or being unnecessarily worried. Please be patient with the process and the Admissions office as they transition after I am gone.

It's been a pleasure helping you on this part of your journey to become physicians. Best of luck in your futures.
No Debbie!! You are one of the reasons why I am applying here. Communication is great at this school...

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted. God is good!!!!

Reactions: 7 users

Debbie, we will miss you. I wish you the best. Take Care

Reactions: 4 users

Congrats on the retirement and I hope it is fun and fulfilling. It can't be easy dealing with us neurotic pre-meds... thank you for your kindness, I definitely made this secondary a priority because of you

Interviewed mid October. Anyone have any idea when I should hear back? I think they said Nov 1.

Does anyone know the attendance policy here? Do they have recorded lectures?

I'm slightly nervous that my application is not complete. I received a receipt for the secondary fee but I don't think I ever received a complete email after I filled out the secondary back in August.

Are you sure you didn't just miss it? I received mine the next day after getting the confirmation of payment email.
That is definitely possible. The more time that goes by, the more neurotic I become. I think I will call and ask just in case.

Reactions: 1 users
Can you let us know around when the interview choices are? This is a top choice for me and I'm starting to panic haha.
My first available choice was Nov 8 and that's the one I took haha I believe they are wide open, or at least that's what it seems.

Does anyone know the attendance policy here? Do they have recorded lectures?

Attendance is not mandatory except when you have small-group learning sessions (you will get docked on points for being absent). Lectures are recorded.

IS here, complete mid-July but haven't heard anything yet. I remember waiting quite a bit for my secondary app too, I received it after e-mailing admissions to ask about my status. Should I do the same now or keep waiting? As an IS student this school would be a dream come true for me!

Does anyone know if they accept updates? I interviewed here aleady but haven't heard a decision yet. Thank you!

Has anyone been rejected yet? Trying to figure out if I might still be under consideration

Hooooly ****! My parents randomly call me out of nowhere with some good news. Apparently they got a letter from Wright state with my acceptance! I didn't even expect to hear back yet! !
My God this feels good after getting waitlisted at one of my top choices.

Reactions: 6 users
Hooooly ****! My parents randomly call me out of nowhere with some good news. Apparently they got a letter from Wright state with my acceptance! I didn't even expect to hear back yet! !
My God this feels good after getting waitlisted at one of my top choices.
Congrats!! when did you interview

Rejection came in the mail yesterday, post-II. Oh well, wasn't really in love with the school when I interviewed there anyway. Hopefully all of y'all get good news!

Rated by mail yesterday. Interviewed mid October. Still wondering how a rated status is different from being placed on the waitlist

Are most people hearing back 4 weeks after their interview or closer to 6 weeks?

I got an acceptance here about a week ago but I also got in elsewhere so I am going to withdraw. Best of luck to you all!

Accepted today (my first one yayy)! Interviewed October 26th

Reactions: 4 users
is there an online portal or do they just email/call people regarding decisions ?

They email those who are accepted to let them know to check their mail for their acceptance letter. Those who are rejected or put on the waiting list only receive a letter in the mail.

They email those who are accepted to let them know to check their mail for their acceptance letter. Those who are rejected or put on the waiting list only receive a letter in the mail.
I only ever got a letter for my acceptance and a confirmation after I had mailed the forms.