2016-2017 Wright State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a prompt this year, or is it just a fee payment and questionnaire like last year?

When answering the questions, should I answer yes if it is something that I will be starting but have not yet started (such as Americorps)? Thanks!

When answering the questions, should I answer yes if it is something that I will be starting but have not yet started (such as Americorps)? Thanks!
No, since it is something that you have not done yet.

By far my most favorite and reasonably priced secondary I had this cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not really a fan of that secondary... It makes me nervous that I didn't get to explicitly write about why I love the school, especially since I'm oos

Secondary submitted. I'm really excited about this school. However, the secondary left me feeling quite puzzled.

Nonetheless, I'm hoping I get some interview love from my friends in OH!

@macdeb59
Hi, Debbie, What does "no final decisions will be made until the end of the process in late march" mean? Does it mean that if I get interviewed, I will only hear back at the end of the cycle?
Thanks.

Submitted yesterday and just received my complete email. II's won't start rolling out until September though. Let the waiting game begin..

@macdeb59
Hi, Debbie, What does "no final decisions will be made until the end of the process in late march" mean? Does it mean that if I get interviewed, I will only hear back at the end of the cycle?
Thanks.

No. If you are accepted, you usually find out within 6 weeks of interviewing.

If you are placed on the waitlist, they won't give you your rank (top 1/3, middle 1/3, bottom 1/3) until everyone has been interviewed.

Reactions: 1 user
No. If you are accepted, you usually find out within 6 weeks of interviewing.

If you are placed on the waitlist, they won't give you your rank (top 1/3, middle 1/3, bottom 1/3) until everyone has been interviewed.

It means that your status will not change to rejection until the end of the process if you did not interview. The only rejections that will go out before that are applicants that did not get a secondary or ones that interviewed and then were rejected.

@macdeb59 @Deranged Medic
Thank you for the clarification.
I got the complete email yesterday; however, my school did not send out my committee letter. I will be only considered for an interview after the letters are received, correct? Thanks again.

Is the screen a stats cutoff screen or an all encompassing holistic screen?

Does anyone know the answer to this? Also, if you are screened out, do you receive an e-mail letting you know? My friend's primary app was verified a month later than mine and she's received a secondary while I am still waiting on one. When did Wright State U start sending them out? Thanks in advance! :)

Does anyone know the answer to this? Also, if you are screened out, do you receive an e-mail letting you know? My friend's primary app was verified a month later than mine and she's received a secondary while I am still waiting on one. When did Wright State U start sending them out? Thanks in advance! :)

I added this school to my school list today and received a secondary hours later. My AMCAS was verified back in June.

I added this school to my school list today and received a secondary hours later. My AMCAS was verified back in June.
Hmm...does anyone know what the cut-offs are for the screen then? My stats are very similar to those of my friend who received her secondary.

Last edited:
Never mind, just got it! Turns out I just had to wait it out. Guess I haven't been screened out :)

Just a heads up. The secondary went to spam for some reason. For those who may have not gotten it yet.

@macdeb59 @Deranged Medic
Thank you for the clarification.
I got the complete email yesterday; however, my school did not send out my committee letter. I will be only considered for an interview after the letters are received, correct? Thanks again.

We review applications without letters. The letters do however need to be received before the Committee will vote on an application after interview.

Reactions: 1 users
We review applications without letters. The letters do however need to be received before the Committee will vote on an application after interview.
Thank you.

I've been trying to contact someone in admissions regarding LORs every morning before going into work for a week (around 9:30 AM for the university's time). Every path either leads to endless rings or an automated switchboard that does nothing. I've been given the numbers 937-775-2943 and 2936, but they aren't answered. Not trying to nag, just frustrated. I really love this school, but I can't complete the secondary until I get this question answered. Thoughts?

Thank you very much for helping!

I've been trying to contact someone in admissions regarding LORs every morning before going into work for a week (around 9:30 AM for the university's time). Every path either leads to endless rings or an automated switchboard that does nothing. I've been given the numbers 937-775-2943 and 2936, but they aren't answered. Not trying to nag, just frustrated. I really love this school, but I can't complete the secondary until I get this question answered. Thoughts?

Thank you very much for helping!
What's your question?

Your question could help someone else.....

I would prefer you email me if you don't ask it here [email protected]

Oh ok, gotcha. I had tentatively been told that you grant exceptions to the two science letter requirement depending on time separated from graduation and that I should mark it on the secondary (I don't know where this would be, I don't see anything like that on the secondary) when I was able to speak with someone a few weeks back. The more I've looked, the more it seems that may not be true. I just wanted to know if this is the case or not before I submit the secondary.

Thank you very much for your assistance!

Your question could help someone else.....

I would prefer you email me if you don't ask it here [email protected]

Hello, I just have a quick question about MCATs. I haven't yet taken my test and haven't submitted AMCAS either unfortunately. Do you think taking the MCAT August 5th and submitting my primary around August 11 will be too late to remain competitive? I expect to be verified sometime in September and then, complete late September early October at schools. My mcat scores would arrive Sept. 7th and I am expecting a score btwn. 508-510.

What would you suggest? I know I'm not early, but is it too late that it significantly lowers my chances of getting accepted such that you would suggest applying next cycle? I'd really not want to be a reapp at all my schools if I can help it. EC's and GPA (3.8) and LORs are all good.

I would really appreciate your help! Thank you :)

Hello, I just have a quick question about MCATs. I haven't yet taken my test and haven't submitted AMCAS either unfortunately. Do you think taking the MCAT August 5th and submitting my primary around August 11 will be too late to remain competitive? I expect to be verified sometime in September and then, complete late September early October at schools. My mcat scores would arrive Sept. 7th and I am expecting a score btwn. 508-510.

What would you suggest? I know I'm not early, but is it too late that it significantly lowers my chances of getting accepted such that you would suggest applying next cycle? I'd really not want to be a reapp at all my schools if I can help it. EC's and GPA (3.8) and LORs are all good.

My personal opinion is this would be too late. Make your first app count; you won't do yourself any favors by submitting late in the cycle.

For those who received a secondary, when were you verified on AMCAS? Still waiting for a secondary and Wright State is one of my top choices!

Oh ok, gotcha. I had tentatively been told that you grant exceptions to the two science letter requirement depending on time separated from graduation and that I should mark it on the secondary (I don't know where this would be, I don't see anything like that on the secondary) when I was able to speak with someone a few weeks back. The more I've looked, the more it seems that may not be true. I just wanted to know if this is the case or not before I submit the secondary.

Thank you very much for your assistance!

I don't know who told you to mark that on your secondary since there is not a place to do so. On occasion when we are out of the office other staff try to answer questions and it seems as if you were misinformed. I am sorry about that and will let our other staff know. If you have been out of school for a few years and cannot get the 2 Science Professor letters you may send letters from current employers, research, volunteer activities. When reviewing your application the Committee will see when you graduated and will understand why you do not have two Science Professor letters.

Reactions: 1 users

I would submit my application now so it can be processed and verified. Then after you take the MCAT and your scores are received your application will be totally complete. It would be late in the process....is it too late....better late than never I guess. Your total application would be taken into consideration and you would be behind all those that were complete before you. It would have to be your decision if you waited or not.

For those who received a secondary, when were you verified on AMCAS? Still waiting for a secondary and Wright State is one of my top choices!

If it has been a while since you were process/verified and have not received a secondary please email me ([email protected]). We are up to date in sending secondaries out to applicants. Remember that we do a quick screen of MCAT score and GPA in order to get a secondary. Also check in your SPAM folder.

@macdeb59
You are the most helpful person on here. I wish admission officers from other schools would follow in your footsteps.

Reactions: 7 users
I don't know who told you to mark that on your secondary since there is not a place to do so. On occasion when we are out of the office other staff try to answer questions and it seems as if you were misinformed. I am sorry about that and will let our other staff know. If you have been out of school for a few years and cannot get the 2 Science Professor letters you may send letters from current employers, research, volunteer activities. When reviewing your application the Committee will see when you graduated and will understand why you do not have two Science Professor letters.

Thank you so much! Does that mean you take beyond 3 letters as well? Your help is immensely appreciated!

Thank you so much! Does that mean you take beyond 3 letters as well? Your help is immensely appreciated!

We will take a Committee letter and two additional letters. We will also accept 5 individual letters if you don't have a Committee letter.

We will take a Committee letter and two additional letters. We will also accept 5 individual letters if you don't have a Committee letter.
Are the interview invites going to be sent out around the same time as last year in late August-early September?

Hi Debbie,
I have a quick question and figured I would post it on here in case it could help someone else. I am an Ohio resident and listed a PO BOX Iin Ohio) as my preferred address and permanent address. I got a notification from another Ohio school saying that I was going to be reviewed as a non-Ohio resident until I changed my address from a PO Box. My house does not have a mailbox because we only use a PO Box, but I went ahead and changed my permanent address to the home address in AMCAS to hopefully avoid having this problem at other schools (and kept Preferred address as PO Box). Will this cause me problems at Wright State? Should I call admissions to update my address, or does updating it in AMCAS solve the problem?
Thank you in advance!

Updating in AMCAS is all you need to do.