2016-2017 West Virginia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm just posting here because I saw WVU pop up on the main page while scrolling.

When I went to WVU, I applied MD/PhD. We have no choice but to apply Morgantown (and are auto-accepted there, even if we don't match MD/PhD). I didn't do the PhD, but stayed on the Morgantown campus for the clinical years. I'll say this...The overall training is similar at all campuses, but the hands on training is much better in Charleston. A large portion of those who went to Charleston end up in surgical fields. In retrospect, I wish I had swapped campuses (there were plenty of offers at the end of MSII). Don't fret too much if you end up in Charleston or Martinsburg. You're going to be fine.
I know (very well on a personal level) multiple attendings/faculty members at both campuses and they told me to go to morgantown.

Members don't see this ad.

For current students, is the school systems based? If so which organ system is first? I want to do some reading now. I know this might be a gunner thing to do, but having said that it's medical school. Everyone is in their own way.

I'm not arguing your experience. You had a ****ty experience, everyone heard that loud and clear. Myself and other current students are here to be good representatives of the school and answer any questions applicants may have. We're not here to spew that our training was sub-par. If you feel that way, I'm sorry, but I'll "argue" until I'm blue in the face to defend this school because it's great and makes amazing physicians. Of course no one should freak out if they get Charleston or Martinsburg, that's great that you want people to feel that way. But now you are probably making some people who got Morgantown freak out and I feel obligated to express the great experiences myself and my colleagues had there. Of course no school is perfect and each campus has its shortcomings and strengths, but I'm just expressing MY experience so the applicants know that going to Morgantown is still a great opportunity.

I'm not going to reply to this anymore. This thread is for the applicants and their questions/concerns. They've seen what two students feel on the subject, one past and one current, and now we should let them move on with their thread.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Why on earth would what I say make someone who is on the Morgantown campus freak out? The experience had improved compared to before my time, and you've just said that the experience continues to improve. Those are good things!

Yes this thread is about questions they might have, which is why I provided my experience. You initially tried to deny my experience, which makes absolutely no sense. The better approach is the one you took later, with providing evidence as to why what I said is no longer the case.

The fact of the matter is that, no matter what campus you go to, you're going to have a very good experience. I'd do it again, given the chance to attend any medical school.

Good day.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For current students, is the school systems based? If so which organ system is first? I want to do some reading now. I know this might be a gunner thing to do, but having said that it's medical school. Everyone is in their own way.

So first year is biochemistry and physiology first semester. It's kind of systems-based, but if I remember correctly, much of the first block is biochem with just some physiology basics. After that, you start doing physiology more heavily, focusing on each organ. I believe cardiac physiology is second block. I know pulmonary was the last block. GI was third (out of five first semester). Then there's endocrine and renal in there, too. One of the blocks is very biochem based, I believe block 4. The beginning biochem is stuff like the kreb's cycle, electron transport chain, amino acids. It might be hard to pre-study because you don't need to know that much detail actually (like don't memorize structures) and they always bring in clinical aspects, but if you want to start working on things that's what you'll be doing first. You'll also have Public Health and PDCI (or the "how to be a doctor class") first semester. Anatomy and neuro are second semester. Second year is much more of the traditional systems-based curriculum. Hope that helps!

So first year is biochemistry and physiology first semester. It's kind of systems-based, but if I remember correctly, much of the first block is biochem with just some physiology basics. After that, you start doing physiology more heavily, focusing on each organ. I believe cardiac physiology is second block. I know pulmonary was the last block. GI was third (out of five first semester). Then there's endocrine and renal in there, too. One of the blocks is very biochem based, I believe block 4. The beginning biochem is stuff like the kreb's cycle, electron transport chain, amino acids. It might be hard to pre-study because you don't need to know that much detail actually (like don't memorize structures) and they always bring in clinical aspects, but if you want to start working on things that's what you'll be doing first. You'll also have Public Health and PDCI (or the "how to be a doctor class") first semester. Anatomy and neuro are second semester. Second year is much more of the traditional systems-based curriculum. Hope that helps!

Do you know anything about University Park Apartments? I was looking into them online and they seem really great and nicely located.

Do you know anything about University Park Apartments? I was looking into them online and they seem really great and nicely located.

I don't know too much about them. They're very new, just opened this past school year, I believe. They look gorgeous from the outside! Haha They're very close to the hospital/med school (about as close as you can get), but they are a bit on the expensive side, especially for Morgantown. If you have the extra cash to spend though, I think they'd be a great option. If you're looking for something close, but more economical, look into Georgetown Apartments, Copperfield Court, and Chateau Royale. One bedrooms are all about $650-700 and still a 10 minute, easy walk to the hospital.

Just gave up my acceptance here- good luck to everyone on the wait list :)

Reactions: 3 users
If anyone is withdrawing their acceptance and has been offered the morgantown campus, please message me before withdrawing your acceptance so I can switch the campus offered. It would be highly appreciated!

Same! I will forever be thankful for your kindness!!

O
I don't know too much about them. They're very new, just opened this past school year, I believe. They look gorgeous from the outside! Haha They're very close to the hospital/med school (about as close as you can get), but they are a bit on the expensive side, especially for Morgantown. If you have the extra cash to spend though, I think they'd be a great option. If you're looking for something close, but more economical, look into Georgetown Apartments, Copperfield Court, and Chateau Royale. One bedrooms are all about $650-700 and still a 10 minute, easy walk to the hospital.

Ok thanks so much! Do you also know what type of health insurance OOS students take? Do they keep their own or get on the WVU plan?

Members don't see this ad :)

Everything Mountaineer12 said is correct. Unless things have changed:

MS1 Fall: Physiology and Biochemistry (Human Function), PDCI, Public Health
MS1 Spring: Anatomy and Histology (Human Structure), Medical Neurobiology
MS2, full: Pathology/Pharmacology/Micro+Immuno/PDCI blocks, which always change in their scheduling from year to year.

I didn't have any time between graduating and moving down here (MD/PhD lab rotations start July 1) to really enjoy summer before medical school. I will say this: please enjoy your summer off.

That said, I studied Step 1 material pretty hard between MS1 and MS2, which is frowned upon, but I knew I had to because of the inevitable 4-year score creep I would be facing. I don't blame you guys for wanting to study since it's getting more and more competitive out there these days. I really hate to be an enabler, and doubly so since the MCAT requirements changed, but it would be hypocritical of me not to lend you some more advice--obviously all my opinion, not fact. So:

Please relax and take the summer off. However, if you absolutely must study for first year:

I would say if people have trouble first semester, it's with biochemistry. It's really arcane and aside from Step 1 and perhaps a few times clinically, you won't use an appreciable amount of it again. Lippincott's Biochemistry is the perfect textbook to look at for our Biochemistry course (at least from 2013 when I took it). When you're actually taking Human Function, you will find BRS Biochemistry to be a fantastic succinct resource. Now, all of this may not be applicable since apparently the new MCAT has a biochemistry component, but here we are.

Physiology is the cornerstone of all medical school. Without a solid grasp on physiology, you will never understand either pharmacology or pathology--this might be my strongest opinion regarding medical school, but I think in time most people will see this viewpoint as true. Most medical students do not struggle with physiology too much since unlike biochemistry physiology is both observable and moreso, logical. You could go all out and try reading Guyton and Hall, Martini's, Tortora's, Boron's--but why? Costanzo is the gold standard for medical school physiology, and just like biochemistry, BRS Physiology (written by none other than Costanzo) is perfect during the HF course, though Lippincott's Physiology is also really good.

In PDCI, you will have to learn medical terminology. Flash cards will be passed down to you. There is nothing more to say about this--straight memorization, and may actually be worth your time passively going through them in the summer. The rest of the course is pretty easy.

Public Health is a surprisingly important course, at least for the first half, which reflects basic epidemiology (sensitivity, specificity, etc). If you know some of those definitions, and calculations it may help you out, but I wouldn't prioritize this over Biochem/Physio.

Not having any exposure to anatomy prior to medical school, I found it to be the most difficult course in first year. I don't recommend looking at Anatomy resources prior to medical school as you will not remember any of it due to Human Function, though I suppose BRS Anatomy and Netter's flashcards stand out. Please remember that cadavers are not the same as illustrations. As for histology, do not ever look at any resource except the videos provided by the course instructor. Spending time looking at histology prior to starting medical school would be the WORST way to spend your summer.

Do not ever, ever, ever pre-study for Medical Neurobiology. Tied with looking at histology as the worst way to spend your summer prior to medical school.

I don't go on FB much anymore but in August before your class begins I'll post all of my resources and stuff on your wall.

Maybe I post all this stuff on Fridays because I don't want to go do lab work...

Reactions: 1 users
O

Ok thanks so much! Do you also know what type of health insurance OOS students take? Do they keep their own or get on the WVU plan?

You have the option to opt out and stay on your parents' or spouse's insurance if that's what you want to do. There is also Aetna insurance offered through the school. I believe it's about $1500 for the year (you can get loans), the deductible was $400 this year. Every medical student must have insurance so admittedly I just took the school insurance at 26 and never really looked too closely at the plan since I didn't have much of a choice (I'm such a cliche of doctor who's bad with financial things haha).

If anyone's withdrawing and has a Morgantown spot, definitely contact me first please!

Hi all, I'm on the waitlist. I want to know your personal opinions. I am a student oos (ohio) only an hour from WVU (morgantown) went to WV undergraduate school etc. I have acceptance at several DO schools with cheaper tuition rates. If offered an acceptance here, do you think I should pay extra for out of state schooling? compared to other schools? Many of my friends are going here in the following semester and will only be an hour away from home and girlfriend. I have no idea what field I am going into at all. I am interested in medicine and hope the training will show me my specific passion. However, I am scared of the extra 120,000 dollars + in debt I may be in. Please let me know your thoughts. I want to have my bearings straight just in case.

Hi! I am on the waitlist, but I really fell in love with this school. Does anyone know how much waitlist movement to expect now that traffic day has passed?

Hi all, I'm on the waitlist. I want to know your personal opinions. I am a student oos (ohio) only an hour from WVU (morgantown) went to WV undergraduate school etc. I have acceptance at several DO schools with cheaper tuition rates. If offered an acceptance here, do you think I should pay extra for out of state schooling? compared to other schools? Many of my friends are going here in the following semester and will only be an hour away from home and girlfriend. I have no idea what field I am going into at all. I am interested in medicine and hope the training will show me my specific passion. However, I am scared of the extra 120,000 dollars + in debt I may be in. Please let me know your thoughts. I want to have my bearings straight just in case.

As someone who changed specialty mindsets about four times in two years, and then another after starting my PhD, take the time to research the limitations of DO vs MD. Even if you don't aim for a competitive specialty, the MD degree from a US medical school has a distinct advantage. I'm quite happy with my choice at WVU and if you take a look at our match page this year, last year, and the previous years, I would say that we match quite well in all ranges of specialties.

As for your personal life, I know many couples in my year separated by 3+ hours that made it work. It's all about how you compromise your time and how strong your relationship is. An hour doesn't seem like a long time, especially with the advent of FaceTime or Skype or whatever you young people use--smoke signals are apparently out of style...

As someone who changed specialty mindsets about four times in two years, and then another after starting my PhD, take the time to research the limitations of DO vs MD. Even if you don't aim for a competitive specialty, the MD degree from a US medical school has a distinct advantage. I'm quite happy with my choice at WVU and if you take a look at our match page this year, last year, and the previous years, I would say that we match quite well in all ranges of specialties.

As for your personal life, I know many couples in my year separated by 3+ hours that made it work. It's all about how you compromise your time and how strong your relationship is. An hour doesn't seem like a long time, especially with the advent of FaceTime or Skype or whatever you young people use--smoke signals are apparently out of style...
Can you elaborate more on the "limitations of DO vs MD"?

Can you elaborate more on the "limitations of DO vs MD"?
I don't believe this is the best/correct place for that conversation. There are hundreds of threads with that topic, use the search function or google.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't believe this is the best/correct place for that conversation. There are hundreds of threads with that topic, use the search function or google.
Ok, I was aware of the advantages, but not of limitations.
Thanks though

How much is your DO tuition? On WVU's website the tuition is listed at like 60k but in my student portal it says the final tuition is 40k/year.

How much is your DO tuition? On WVU's website the tuition is listed at like 60k but in my student portal it says the final tuition is 40k/year.
Tuition is 60k for OOS. Right now it says 40, but you will be charged another 20 in the summer.

Right everything said had been pretty accurate DO education is 30,000/yr. I was bringing this up in this forum to see the WVU prospect/student perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you this really put it in perspective. Money seemed like a big issue but overall the degree difference does matter. I wanted to make sure just being closer in the sense of WVU wasn't the only reason I was paying the extra money for the education. Hopefully, if I get a shot lol.

Tuition is 60k for OOS. Right now it says 40, but you will be charged another 20 in the summer.
Did you confirm this with them? I had called the school a few weeks ago and they said that wasn't true.

Did you confirm this with them? I had called the school a few weeks ago and they said that wasn't true.
I called the financial aid department and that's what they told me. I've been in contact with them multiple times, but I guess I could have misunderstood.

Accepted off the waitlist today! So excited to be a mountaineer! :soexcited:

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats! Are you IS if you don't mind me asking? And did you send update letter/LOI?

I'm OOS. I sent several update letters and a letter of intent. If you want more info, you can PM me.

For the DO vs. WVU debate, it's hard. Saving money is great. However, going DO can limit your ability to match in competitive and sometimes even non-competitive specialties. A gross, gross over simplification of the match: they often have to have a better app to beat out an MD candidate as a DO. They do well with Match (80% or so this year) and obviously have their own Match as well. WVU does very well in the Match with lots of competitive specialties (rad onc, ortho, plastics, ENT, lots of EM) at good programs. Besides this, pretty major, concern, I'd go where it's cheapest. So overall, really touch decision. Location is really important, too. Support systems are so important in med school. Good luck with your choice!

Just got a phone call and got off the Waitlist!!!! Pumped to be in Morgantown
That's great! I'm currently on the waitlist still... GPA and extracurriculars are good but MCAT score wasn't too hot. They really seemed to like me though. Would you mind sharing what your GPA and MCAT score were? It would really help gauge my chances of getting accepted off the waitlist. You can PM me if need be. Thanks!

What's your MCAT?
That's great! I'm currently on the waitlist still... GPA and extracurriculars are good but MCAT score wasn't too hot. They really seemed to like me though. Would you mind sharing what your GPA and MCAT score were? It would really help gauge my chances of getting accepted off the waitlist. You can PM me if need be. Thanks!

Called the school and they said that seats are pretty much filled and to only expect a tiny amount movement.

Sent from my SM-G935T using SDN mobile

I got an email from them today stating I was cut from the waitlist because all of the seats are full

I got an email from them today stating I was cut from the waitlist because all of the seats are full

That's odd, I'm on the waitlist there too and didn't receive any email of that nature.

Just a guess, but maybe they're trying to trim the waitlist. WVU waitlists a lot of people, as you guys know, so this late in the cycle maybe they're just holding onto a few people that are really high on the list incase anyone else drops out. That way they can remove everyone else on the list from the limbo of the waitlist. Just a guess.

Reactions: 1 user
The email stated that there will only be a few people accepted off the waitlist. The seats are full.

Did anyone else get that email about being removed from the wait list? I only ask because I didn't, so I don't know if that means I'm higher or just haven't received it yet.

Did anyone else get that email about being removed from the wait list? I only ask because I didn't, so I don't know if that means I'm higher or just haven't received it yet.
Silence here. Also curious to hear if it has any bearing on waitlist rank. FWIW I'm OOS with no ties and sent in a couple updates/interest letters. Maybe its coming out in waves?

Silence here. Also curious to hear if it has any bearing on waitlist rank. FWIW I'm OOS with no ties and sent in a couple updates/interest letters. Maybe its coming out in waves?
I'm also OOS without any ties to the state. Didn't hear anything today. Not sure how likely it is for a spot to open up at this point.

Hi all I was wondering if anyone in this could help me out. I received my MCAT score recently and was really bummed out (scored lower than most practice). I was wondering if I had a shot here for the 2018-2019 cycle. I just applied a week ago. I'm an out of state student. GPA: 3.59, sGPA 3.27 MCAT 497, ~100 hours hospital volunteering, 700 hours cancer genetics research, 60 hours shadowing, CNA certified, Greek life, Scholars, Honors & Scholars ambassador, many clubs and different community service organizations, leadership positions, organic chemistry TA, some awards, and soon to be on a publication for lab. I think most of my stats are okay besides for my MCAT. Thanks!!

Hi all I was wondering if anyone in this could help me out. I received my MCAT score recently and was really bummed out (scored lower than most practice). I was wondering if I had a shot here for the 2018-2019 cycle. I just applied a week ago. I'm an out of state student. GPA: 3.59, sGPA 3.27 MCAT 497, ~100 hours hospital volunteering, 700 hours cancer genetics research, 60 hours shadowing, CNA certified, Greek life, Scholars, Honors & Scholars ambassador, many clubs and different community service organizations, leadership positions, organic chemistry TA, some awards, and soon to be on a publication for lab. I think most of my stats are okay besides for my MCAT. Thanks!!
Without a retake I would say little to no chance. Plan a retake and start looking at DO schools.

I agree with the reply above. I had higher mcat/gpa and more ECs/clinical experience and got waitlisted.

I literally know nothing about the new MCAT, but significant ties would help a lot, but without them you're probably looking at the waitlist like most OOSers. They put a lot of emphasis on the interview so if you kill then you could have a chance to get off of it. No harm in trying. Good luck!

Just got my first II here for this current cycle. If any accepted students mind sharing any tips or pieces of advice for interview day through a PM, itd be really appreciated!