2016-2017 West Virginia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Our of curiosity, did they email you your financial aid package? Or did you have to check a portal or something
So what exactly is the total cost of attendance? Because when I did medstay during my interview the student I was staying with said OOS tuition was 40k/yr but from the website it seems like 55+k/yr

Members don't see this ad.

So what exactly is the total cost of attendance? Because when I did medstay during my interview the student I was staying with said OOS tuition was 40k/yr but from the website it seems like 55+k/yr
That's what I'm confused about. I'm sure they could easily explain it during second look weekend, but I'm unable to go. :/

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS is more like 60k, I believe. They split it in 3 chunks because people who were dropping out for various reasons after first semester (most feel overwhelmed and like medicine isn't for them, no one is kicked out or anything!) wanted to only be charged 1/3 of the tuition vs. almost 1/2 like it used to be. Does that make sense? I'm sure there where other reasons as well, but that's the main one I remember.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

@Fremont101. Where are you going? Here or Netter?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
HAHA thats the million dollar question. Both are pretty similar in price. I LOVED the medical school at WVU but I don't know if Morgantown is the right fit for me. I absolutely loved my time at Netter but I'm just worried about getting research opportunities there and they don't have a hospital like Ruby attached to the school.

Yo, Hau5MD....I haven't chatted with you since mid-October. How have things been? Did you end up with some IIs besides WV?

Yo, Hau5MD....I haven't chatted with you since mid-October. How have things been? Did you end up with some IIs besides WV?
Hey! Long time no talk (or see). Got two more IIs which turned in two more waitlists :eek: Guess it all boils down to the waitlist shuffle at the end of the month now.

Hey! Long time no talk (or see). Got two more IIs which turned in two more waitlists :eek: Guess it all boils down to the waitlist shuffle at the end of the month now.
I'm glad you have multiple avenues. And you're right...there's still plenty of movement to come. Maybe Morgantown will beckon.

So am I correct in interpreting the OOS estimated COA to be ~80k/ year?

I don't know my chances of getting off this waitlist (Been on it since October!) but I still want to preemptively start comparing schools a bit just in case.

So am I correct in interpreting the OOS estimated COA to be ~80k/ year?

I don't know my chances of getting off this waitlist (Been on it since October!) but I still want to preemptively start comparing schools a bit just in case.

Are you including living expenses? That seems a bit high. I think I've heard 60k, but I'm not sure if that includes living and other expenses so overall 80k might not be too far off. Over 300k for all 4 years seems higher than I thought it was though. You should be able to see this year's financial aid info online (try googling wvu som financial aid) or something like that.

Are you including living expenses? That seems a bit high. I think I've heard 60k, but I'm not sure if that includes living and other expenses so overall 80k might not be too far off. Over 300k for all 4 years seems higher than I thought it was though. You should be able to see this year's financial aid info online (try googling wvu som financial aid) or something like that.

Yeah that's where I got the number from, the wvu websight had estimated direct and indirect expenses.

Members don't see this ad :)

Ya according to the website tuition is 60k, plus cost of living gives a total COA of 80k for OOS students. They divide it into 3, which I still think is strange, but we already discussed that haha.

Wow, that's higher than I thought it was, sorry guys! A fair number of people are able to get small scholarships 5-10k/year so there's that. I know loans should be a big part of your med school decision, but don't let it completely deter you from WVU; we're a great school!

HAHA thats the million dollar question. Both are pretty similar in price. I LOVED the medical school at WVU but I don't know if Morgantown is the right fit for me. I absolutely loved my time at Netter but I'm just worried about getting research opportunities there and they don't have a hospital like Ruby attached to the school.
How can you write a letter of intent but still not know if you are going to go there? I thought the point of a letter of intent was to say if "I get in I am 100% going to your school" - or do I have this wrong?

Reactions: 1 user
How can you write a letter of intent but still not know if you are going to go there? I thought the point of a letter of intent was to say if "I get in I am 100% going to your school" - or do I have this wrong?

Well you can since it's nonbinding. Though it's highly frowned upon to write a letter of intent then not go once accepted. Also adcoms talk to each other. If you have two you like though are not completely decided, it's probably a better idea to write two letter of interests.

There is a 99.9% chance that I am going to WVU. At this point there were just some issues with financial costs that I needed to work out.

How do they feel about writing a letter of intent to one school and a letter of interest to another?

How do they feel about writing a letter of intent to one school and a letter of interest to another?
Not going to lie, I've considered the thought. Its definitely much better than writing two letters of intent though it does kind of seem weird to me to be writing a extra letter of interest when you are already set on matriculating to another school. At the same time, I can see the appeal especially if you're on multiple waitlists especially if your letter of intent doesn't work. Personally, I feel that it would be a better idea to just write two letter of interests instead.

absolutely nothing's wrong with that. This is going to sound harsh, but in all honesty, your letter of intent to your #1 school probably means peanuts to them. Don't spare their feelings - you're just another applicant to them. You need to do what's best for you and maximize your chances at getting off the waitlist of both places. I agree writing two letter of intents to different schools isn't ethical, but who cares if you write letters of interest to your other choices. It's smart if you wanna maximize your chances at being accepted to as many places as possible.

Reactions: 3 users
Good afternoon all you awesome people! I am OOS and was waitlisted back in January. I just withdrew my application so hopefully I wasn't the lowest ranked person and some of you are now bumped up the list. Good luck all of you still on the WL and don't give up! Things will move quickly in a couple of weeks. Au revoir!

Reactions: 4 users
Also officially withdrew my WL spot. Best of luck to all in the running and don't lose hope!

Hi All... long time thread creeper here. Just wanting to let everyone know that I was accepted off the wait list yesterday. The call came in around noon from the lovely Linda Nield. Hopefully more movement coming soon!

Reactions: 5 users
Hi All... long time thread creeper here. Just wanting to let everyone know that I was accepted off the wait list yesterday. The call came in around noon from the lovely Linda Nield. Hopefully more movement coming soon!
OOS or IS?

OOS or IS?
OOS, Ties to WV kinda, MCAT 514, GPA 3.67. Also I wrote a strong letter of interest (never actually stating I would 100% go there since I am still waiting to hear back post interview from another school, but alluding to the intent portion) and submitted it Sunday evening (4/16). She specifically mentioned it when she called me so I'm thinking that the letter did help.

Accepted off the waitlist today! Never been so happy in my life. I can't believe my dreams are coming true on a rainy Tuesday afternoon

Reactions: 1 users
this was really hard to do because this was the first school I interviewed at and loved it but I decided to withdraw my acceptance. Good luck to those in the waitlist!

How do you withdraw your acceptance?

Withdrew my spot earlier! I loved the school and the faculty, but I just can't see myself in Morgantown over some of the other cities of the schools where I was accepted. Hopefully one of you all gets it!

I was placed at Charleston, but wanted morgantown

This is common, people rarely want to go to Charleston, but about 40% of the class has to go so a lot of people are going to be disappointed. The three campus thing is probably my least favorite thing about WVU (it's absolutely necessary because it would be too crowded in Morgantown for everyone, but still sucks). Like someone said, just let it be known early and often that you want to switch to Morgantown. People will follow their friends so after friend groups are established you may see a bunch of Morgantown spots open up, just make sure they think of you when switching. Also if anyone withdraws, make sure they switch their campus spot with you BEFORE they withdraw. Some people have offered gifts in the past (anything from a few thousand bucks, to paying their rent in Charleston for both years, to, supposedly, a car). No need to get that lavish, but you may hear people start throwing that out, especially in second year as people who really want to switch (they have families or spouses with jobs in Morgantown, etc.) start panicking. At the end of the day you get the same training with some slight differences, some better, some worse. All three campuses are great so the worst thing about Charleston is having to move during Step studying and potentially leaving friends. It is no detriment to your career or matching opportunities.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted OOS. First acceptance ever- crazy feeling- it's absolution amazing. No, I didn't have a 4.0 510+ (and for those people who press no matter what.. I'm not an URM), but I gave a good interview and made it known that I was interested in the school. So don't listen to the masses, if WVU is where you want to be, let them know and why.

I'm just posting here because I saw WVU pop up on the main page while scrolling.

When I went to WVU, I applied MD/PhD. We have no choice but to apply Morgantown (and are auto-accepted there, even if we don't match MD/PhD). I didn't do the PhD, but stayed on the Morgantown campus for the clinical years. I'll say this...The overall training is similar at all campuses, but the hands on training is much better in Charleston. A large portion of those who went to Charleston end up in surgical fields. In retrospect, I wish I had swapped campuses (there were plenty of offers at the end of MSII). Don't fret too much if you end up in Charleston or Martinsburg. You're going to be fine.

For those that are students, what percent on an exam is a "P"

I'm just posting here because I saw WVU pop up on the main page while scrolling.

When I went to WVU, I applied MD/PhD. We have no choice but to apply Morgantown (and are auto-accepted there, even if we don't match MD/PhD). I didn't do the PhD, but stayed on the Morgantown campus for the clinical years. I'll say this...The overall training is similar at all campuses, but the hands on training is much better in Charleston. A large portion of those who went to Charleston end up in surgical fields. In retrospect, I wish I had swapped campuses (there were plenty of offers at the end of MSII). Don't fret too much if you end up in Charleston or Martinsburg. You're going to be fine.

I'd say there are a lot of other factors going into how many people from Charleston in your class went into surgery. My class had a ton of surgery this year, from both campuses. I felt like I had plenty of opportunity to do hands on things in surgery in Morgantown, I just didn't want them lol.

For those that are students, what percent on an exam is a "P"

75% for almost every class. You also need a 12th% tile or better on the shelves 1st and 2nd year and 10th% tile or better on 3rd year shelves to pass.

I'd say there are a lot of other factors going into how many people from Charleston in your class went into surgery. My class had a ton of surgery this year, from both campuses. I felt like I had plenty of opportunity to do hands on things in surgery in Morgantown, I just didn't want them lol.

Perhaps things are changing. I wanted to go into surgery and was basically pushed to the back corner on most cases. Especially surg onc, except with Hazard. She's great.

Perhaps things are changing. I wanted to go into surgery and was basically pushed to the back corner on most cases. Especially surg onc, except with Hazard. She's great.

I don't think a lot of my classmates that want to go into surgery in Morgantown would agree. If you let them know you're interested, they'll get you involved. Of course there's still the odd attending or two that makes them just hold retractors, but as far as I know, my surgery colleagues are really happy with what they've gotten to do. I can't speak first hand though, because I was happy to fade into the background on surgery haha.

Morgantown definitely had the added benefits of seeing what a big, academic medical center is like. There's residents, a fair amount of fellows, almost all specialties and subspecialties. Charleston is like a mini-version of that, but it's true that you might get to do more because there are fewer cooks in the kitchen, so to speak. You definitely have the chance to do more at Eastern and make great bonds with attendings, but you'll sacrifice many of the "exciting/interesting" pathologies because they'll be sent to Morgantown or maybe Charleston so it's definitely a trade of.

I don't think a lot of my classmates that want to go into surgery in Morgantown would agree. If you let them know you're interested, they'll get you involved. Of course there's still the odd attending or two that makes them just hold retractors, but as far as I know, my surgery colleagues are really happy with what they've gotten to do. I can't speak first hand though, because I was happy to fade into the background on surgery haha.

Morgantown definitely had the added benefits of seeing what a big, academic medical center is like. There's residents, a fair amount of fellows, almost all specialties and subspecialties. Charleston is like a mini-version of that, but it's true that you might get to do more because there are fewer cooks in the kitchen, so to speak. You definitely have the chance to do more at Eastern and make great bonds with attendings, but you'll sacrifice many of the "exciting/interesting" pathologies because they'll be sent to Morgantown or maybe Charleston so it's definitely a trade of.

I'm really not going to argue with you over what my experience was. Do you realize how dumb that is? It was the same experience my classmates had. People who attended Morgantown campus went into surgery despite their rotation, not because of it. No one stayed for general surgery through the match. That means something, whether you realize it or not. If it's different now, it means that it has changed, which is a good thing. Stop protesting and just accept it.

I'm still in a procedural field (going into Interventional Radiology) with similar call demands as a general surgeon, so I don't know what your hypothesis is as far as why I would do that rather than what my original goal was when I entered medical school if it wasn't for a horrible surgical experience.

Interesting pathologies are overrated when it comes to learning the basics. That's what residency and fellowship is for. I'd rather get to do (or at least be first assist in) a significant number of basic surgeries (choles, appendectomies, deep abscess drains, washouts, low end vascular procedures) than be in the 3rd row, trying to watch over the resident and fellow's shoulders while a SMA bypass is happening. If I were to do it again, I would want to get involved with the surgeries I would potentially see every day, and try to figure out if that's what I want to do with the rest of my life.

You concede that you're likely to be more involved at the other campuses. IMO, that's what I would want. End of story.

Anyway, the whole point of this was to tell people to not freak out if they're going to be at Charleston or Martinsburg. They'll still have a good experience.

Last edited:
I'm not arguing your experience. You had a ****ty experience, everyone heard that loud and clear. Myself and other current students are here to be good representatives of the school and answer any questions applicants may have. We're not here to spew that our training was sub-par. If you feel that way, I'm sorry, but I'll "argue" until I'm blue in the face to defend this school because it's great and makes amazing physicians. Of course no one should freak out if they get Charleston or Martinsburg, that's great that you want people to feel that way. But now you are probably making some people who got Morgantown freak out and I feel obligated to express the great experiences myself and my colleagues had there. Of course no school is perfect and each campus has its shortcomings and strengths, but I'm just expressing MY experience so the applicants know that going to Morgantown is still a great opportunity.

I'm not going to reply to this anymore. This thread is for the applicants and their questions/concerns. They've seen what two students feel on the subject, one past and one current, and now we should let them move on with their thread.