2016-2017 Wayne State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi! This might already be posted somewhere in this thread but what are some good apartment complexes in midtown Detroit that Wayne SOM students live in? My range is somewhat on the upper end- I have already tried applying to studio one and have spoken to people at strathmore but it seems like most places have a waitlist by now. Thanks!
River Place

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Looks like no. Anyone able to call and see if we can get any info before the end of business hours today?

Members don't see this ad :)
Their admissions office is pretty useless for finding things like this out. But if it helps, some DO schools are starting class this week and next so that should clear up some space on the list.
Does anyone know when MSUCOMM starts? I never knew DO started that early?

Their admissions office is pretty useless for finding things like this out. But if it helps, some DO schools are starting class this week and next so that should clear up some space on the list.

I did end up calling before they closed and it was useless. Same spiel as always about "we accept students until orientation starts" blah blah blah. They wouldn't answer if they have a tier wait list or ranking system or how many students are on left on the wait list.

Hey everyone! If any of you happen to have an extra ticket to the white coat ceremony, could you please DM me? I would appreciate it!

Anyone know what's going on? We had the withdrawal on May 31 on here, but no apparent movement? Hopefully more people get pulled off the waitlist.
I'm assuming that they're filling these spots with people who aren't SDN members and/or don't follow this thread. If it's true that a couple hundred are on the waitlist then it would make sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
To any other waitlisters thinking about reapplying to Wayne this upcoming cycle, would starting a new amcas have an effect on our current app? It doesn't make sense to me to wait until the final decision this July/August before submitting, that would already be significantly late. Just looking for some advice on this, a PM would be fine. Thank you.

To any other waitlisters thinking about reapplying to Wayne this upcoming cycle, would starting a new amcas have an effect on our current app? It doesn't make sense to me to wait until the final decision this July/August before submitting, that would already be significantly late. Just looking for some advice on this, a PM would be fine. Thank you.

It won't affect your waitlist status. Submit as soon as you are ready. I know people who submitted their app last year and still got in of the waitlist in July.

Reactions: 1 users
Called admissions earlier this week, Looks like the class of 2017 is full. A representative told me they will (maybe) accept 1-3 applicants early next week, but the wait-list movement is very "slow" and almost at an end. I'm going to look forward to next cycle. Goodluck everyone!

Called admissions earlier this week, Looks like the class of 2017 is full. A representative told me they will (maybe) accept 1-3 applicants early next week, but the wait-list movement is very "slow" and almost at an end. I'm going to look forward to next cycle. Goodluck everyone!

Well, that's depressing! But not too surprising. Thanks for passing on the info. Good luck next cycle, I think I'm going to bow out and go DO.

Looks like no. Anyone able to call and see if we can get any info before the end of business hours today?
I called today and they said transcripts and everything for accepted students isn't due until orientation, they seemed super confused about there June 15th came from.

Is it possible to call them at this point and give them our amcas number and ask if we're still seriously being considered?
I did that and they just told me that if my portal still says I'm on the alternate list, then I'm on the alternate list. They couldn't say anything about being seriously considered.

Guys they are still accepting people!!! I just got accepted off the Wait-List. I'll see you all at Wayne!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Are you sure they told you that? I just called them myself and asked if there will be that much more waitlist movement or if it's mostly done now, and she told me "it just depends if people withdraw." She told me the same thing when I asked if waitlist movement was "slow." She also said they'll continue to accept applicants off the waitlist until July 17 so that's still another month to go. What exactly did they tell you?

Are you sure they told you that? I just called them myself and asked if there will be that much more waitlist movement or if it's mostly done now, and she told me "it just depends if people withdraw." She told me the same thing when I asked if waitlist movement was "slow." She also said they'll continue to accept applicants off the waitlist until July 17 so that's still another month to go. What exactly did they tell you?
So what you guys are telling me is really reassuring and I hope it's true. I believe the admissions office themselves don't even know whats going on. They told me: "the class is full now, and we are only accepting applicants as other applicants begin to drop their acceptance". Also, "there can be 1-3 acceptances early next week". I followed that answer by asking how many acceptances do you think will drop and she said " the waitlist movement is a very slow moving one". So as Of now, I am completely lost..

Also called today; woman said they just did a big cut of the waitlist and sent out rejection emails Friday and Monday. If didn't get one and portal says alternate you're still being considered.

She said class is full, but "usually more people will drop" until orientation.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Also called today; woman said they just did a big cut of the waitlist and sent out rejection emails Friday and Monday. If didn't get one and portal says alternate you're still being considered.

Well at least they cut the waitlist down. That should increase our chances.

That's very interesting. I thought they wouldn't be sending any rejections until July 17, when the application cycle was over. I got a mini-heart attack when I read that they sent out rejections Monday, until I realized today was Tuesday. Thank goodness I haven't been rejected yet. Did she say when's the next time they'll be sending rejections?

That's very interesting. I thought they wouldn't be sending any rejections until July 17, when the application cycle was over. I got a mini-heart attack when I read that they sent out rejections Monday, until I realized today was Tuesday. Thank goodness I haven't been rejected yet. Did she say when's the next time they'll be sending rejections?
DO schools also just got underway, so more applicants are probably out of rhe race.

It may not be the only reason, but I'm sure it was a factor.
It probably had mostly to do with that. MSU COM classes started yesterday, which was also when they sent rejection letters. So that would make sense.

You guys scared me about the rejections! I called again and talked to some lady who told me they only sent out rejections to people who have matriculated at a different school, i.e. they couldn't matriculate here to begin with. They have not sent out ANY emails to students on the wait list. PHEW!!

You guys scared me about the rejections! I called again and talked to some lady who told me they only sent out rejections to people who have matriculated at a different school, i.e. they couldn't matriculate here to begin with. They have not sent out ANY emails to students on the wait list. PHEW!!
Yep, I knew it. That would only make sense, anyway.

I was told in March they do a big cut to the wait list in June and then the rest stay on and wait it out until the end. She did not say whether or not there would be another cut to the list, but did say that the cuts went out via email and portal statuses have changed if cut.

Another swirl of contradicting information from the admins of Wayne!

I called today and they said transcripts and everything for accepted students isn't due until orientation, they seemed super confused about there June 15th came from.
June 15th is the listed due date for the health certification forms, white coat ceremony, white coat order form, and alumni t-shirt order form. I'm not sure how strict they are on the due date for the latter 3 forms, but I know that the person coordinating health certificate forms told me to submit as much paperwork as possible before June 15th, and then just write a note about what will be forthcoming (blood titers and any re-vaccinations a person may need if they find out they aren't immune). Obviously though, if you aren't accepted until June 15th or after, those deadlines mean nothing, and they will work with you to get everything in by orientation! Just with such a large class, they want to be on top of it as much as they can be.

I was told in March they do a big cut to the wait list in June and then the rest stay on and wait it out until the end. She did not say whether or not there would be another cut to the list, but did say that the cuts went out via email and portal statuses have changed if cut.

Is there any information on the next committee meeting? Congrats to those getting in!

Withdrawing my acceptance-- wishing everyone the best of luck

Reactions: 9 users
Is there any information on the next committee meeting? Congrats to those getting in!
I met personally with an advisor from admissions earlier this week and she said it would be very unlikely that I get off the wait list and stated that the class is basically full since school starts in a month. If i were to get accepted somehow I would have to defer until next year anyway because its way too close to the deadline with prior commitments.

I met personally with an advisor from admissions earlier this week and she said it would be very unlikely that I get off the wait list and stated that the class is basically full since school starts in a month. If i were to get accepted somehow I would have to defer until next year anyway because its way too close to the deadline with prior commitments.
Fwiw, two of my friends were accepted June 22nd last year, but it is obv different from year to year

Sent from my SM-G935T using SDN mobile

Fwiw, two of my friends were accepted June 22nd last year, but it is obv different from year to year

Sent from my SM-G935T using SDN mobile

Are most of the people they take IS, OOS, or a mixture of both?

Also are all the people waiting mainly in-state?

Called earlier this week, they said as long as you get accepted before the 17th of July, you're in for the class of 2017. Some of my buddies got in in July last cycle, so I dont think that piece of information is accurate.

Called earlier this week, they said as long as you get accepted before the 17th of July, you're in for the class of 2017. Some of my buddies got in in July last cycle, so I dont think that piece of information is accurate.
I think he was referring to himself personally. He meant that he would have to defer until next year because he already has other commitments that would prevent him from matriculating. I don't think Wayne State ever accepts students for the following application cycle.

Also my friend knows someone on the admissions board, who told her that 80% of the students on the wait list last cycle were eventually given acceptance offers, but it would appear that that number is either inaccurate or significantly lower this cycle. I would guess it's because they took so many out-of-state students or they just interviewed and waitlisted way more people this year.

Last edited:
It's pretty much over and as much as it sucks, it's probably just best to not look at this thread anymore, submit for the current cycle, and hope for the best. This time around I'm retiring my account and only spending the bare minimum amount of time lurking on SDN that I need to. Everything about this process is much less stressful that way. Good luck to everyone.

I think he was referring to himself personally. He meant that he would have to defer until next year because he already has other commitments that would prevent him from matriculating. I don't think Wayne State ever accepts students for the following application cycle.

Also my friend knows someone on the admissions board, who told her that 80% of the students on the wait list last cycle were eventually given acceptance offers, but it would appear that that number is either inaccurate or significantly lower this cycle. I would guess it's because they took so many out-of-state students or they just interviewed and waitlisted way more people this year.
Yeah exactly what you said. I know a few people who would have Masters program overlap or research commitments, myself included. I hope it's true about the 80% but I also think that means around 100 people don't get in still. Wayne really needs to improve the wait list process for future rounds.

Reactions: 3 users

Do you know if they sent out acceptances after doing that big cut last Monday?

I wish that at the very least, the admissions tracker on the website would be updated so that we can see how many offers have been given out. It has not been updated since early May!

Keep in mind they interviewed about 400 more people than usual this cycle. This may have something to do with more students being on the WL and the perception of less students getting off of it from any other year

Accepted!
EDIT: not sure why it posted twice, sorry!

Last edited: