2016-2017 Wayne State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone send a thank you e-mail directly to their interviewer afterward? I sent one to the admissions e-mail ([email protected]) but I don't have the contact information of the individual physician who did the main interview with me. Did they actually give us our interviewers' e-mails? Because I really don't remember. I'm not sure if my thank you e-mail was forwarded to him by the admissions committee, but I highly doubt it.

I did, but my interview day in general was atypical. Admissions told my interview group to send all thank you emails to the admissions email account and then admissions would forward it to the interviewer. Since my interviewer gave me their business card, I sent the email to them and CC'd admissions. I never heard anything back though.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone send a thank you e-mail directly to their interviewer afterward? I sent one to the admissions e-mail ([email protected]) but I don't have the contact information of the individual physician who did the main interview with me. Did they actually give us our interviewers' e-mails? Because I really don't remember. I'm not sure if my thank you e-mail was forwarded to him by the admissions committee, but I highly doubt it.
I didn't send anything to anyone and I was accepted. So it seems even if it didn't get to your interviewer, it doesn't really matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
tbh if I were you, I would drop or drop your other ones today. Theres no reason to hold it anymore if they already gave you your financial aid info. You don't want to play games with the April 30th deadline, youve worked too hard. AMCAS takes a few days to process your drop so the sooner you do it, the better

It takes several days?? **** I did not know that... so it's actually like an April 28th deadline? I'm sending the e-mails now.. I really like all of the schools to which I was accepted so this is emotionally difficult...

Reactions: 1 user
Declined my other acceptances just now. See you guys in July! :soexcited:

Reactions: 2 users
I did, but my interview day in general was atypical. Admissions told my interview group to send all thank you emails to the admissions email account and then admissions would forward it to the interviewer. Since my interviewer gave me their business card, I sent the email to them and CC'd admissions. I never heard anything back though.

My interviewer gave me his business card as well (there was also a med student who write their email on the back) I ended up addressing my thank-you email to my interview while cc-ing admissions (since we were told to send it to them) and to the med student (since I had their email also). I also didn't never heard anything back. Just wanted to share that I had the same experience.

Just withdrew my acceptance. Wayne is a wonderful school though, so it was hard.

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted!!!!! Put on the Waitlist 2/24, Interviewed 2/6, this is my one and only acceptance this cycle and I cannot BELIEVE it!!!!

Reactions: 16 users
Accepted!!
Interviewed 1/30

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted! Interviewed feb 24th...will be withdrawing my acceptance:(...it's hard to let go but I can only chose one.

Last edited:
Still patiently waiting on the waitlist since December like...:whistle:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, why do you specifically say Tuesday?
Because traffic day falls on Sunday, aka it will get processed Monday and we should expect at least some movement Tuesday

Mine was in early September so it will be a long time coming if it happens for me. I fully expect it not to, but if it does it will be quite nice.
Word on the street is that the LCME accreditation team wasn't very happy about Waynes interview process last week. Supposedly they were giving a lot of interviews to minorities and "holistic" candidates who they had no plans on accepting. Idk if Wayne plans to correct this in the next couple weeks or not though. But it might help some of us on the wait list.

Word on the street is that the LCME accreditation team wasn't very happy about Waynes interview process last week. Supposedly they were giving a lot of interviews to minorities and "holistic" candidates who they had no plans on accepting. Idk if Wayne plans to correct this in the next couple weeks or not though. But it might help some of us on the wait list.
Idk how true that was for my group. There were maybe two or three people who would be considered minorities and most people were from top schools like UMich, Chicago, ivy league schools, etc. but if that's true then hey, whatever works.

Idk how true that was for my group. There were maybe two or three people who would be considered minorities and most people were from top schools like UMich, Chicago, ivy league schools, etc. but if that's true then hey, whatever works.
You said your interview was in September I think so that would make sense. More competitive time to interview because most top-tier schools finish interviews faster and Wayne is trying to compete for candidates.

Got accepted yesterday! Interviewed 1/20, IS. Absolutely loved this place and can't wait to call Wayne home in a few months!

Source?

lol I know someone who has a family member on the admissions board. They're not pushing for my acceptance or anything, I just get word on some of the details.
It's cool, I'm not implying anything about you.

Heads up to others, I'm no one's first choice stats wise, but I've been accepted. Pretty sure the idea that they interviewed lower stat- what you termed "holistic applicants"- they had "no plans on accepting" isn't really true. Otherwise I wouldn't be sitting on a full ride acceptance....

Not a humble brag, but absolutely meant to keep the faith to those who have lower stats and think this "no plans on accepting" heresay is a bummer to hear.

Reactions: 1 users

Heads up to others, I'm no one's first choice stats wise, but I've been accepted. Pretty sure the idea that they interviewed lower stat- what you termed "holistic applicants"- they had "no plans on accepting" isn't really true. Otherwise I wouldn't be sitting on a full ride acceptance....

Not a humble brag, but absolutely meant to keep the faith to those who have lower stats and think this "no plans on accepting" heresay is a bummer to hear.
I was implying that the news (if true) actually serves as a good thing for those of us on the wait list. It may force Wayne to give everyone fair shot once the deadline has passed. But anyways congrats on the acceptance and scholarship and best of luck to everyone in the next couple weeks!

Wow . How was it found out that they were interviewing them but not planning on accepting them ?

Are you URM? Do you mind sharing your MCAT and GPA? I was interviewed and haven't heard anything from them so I'm assuming I'm one of those .

Withdrawing my OOS acceptance fam. I hope it goes to one of you!

Are you URM? Do you mind sharing your MCAT and GPA? I was interviewed and haven't heard anything from them so I'm assuming I'm one of those .
You didn't get any decision at all since your interview? That doesn't seem right.

Check the application portal, you should have a status down at the bottom for either accepted or waitlist/alternative. Not sure if they reject straight off an interview or not.

Wow . How was it found out that they were interviewing them but not planning on accepting them ?

LCME is a national team that spends a few days at every school looking over everything from diversity in student body and staff, curriculum etc to give accreditation. They leave no stone unturned. Wayne had a major issue with diversity in past years, which is kinda crazy being an urban university. But that was one of the biggest issues for the LCME team to focus in on and see if they've changed from last year.

I'm not URM. I won't be sharing my stats, sorry. But they're not high. You should have heard something one way or the other. You should call them.

Check the application portal, you should have a status down at the bottom for either accepted or waitlist/alternative. Not sure if they reject straight off an interview or not.
I called them a while back and they said that they "occasionally" reject people after the interview without ever putting them on the waitlist.

Anyone know how many acceptances went out last week? Hoping it was just a small wave before bigger waitlist movement this month.

I'm officially coming to WSU SOM!!! I declined my other remaining admission today. So excited to meet some of you :)

Accepted on 4/28, rejecting my acceptance today. Hopefully someone gets it that really wants to be there. Great program, my heart is just elsewhere.

Reactions: 6 users
Sooo has anyone else noticed that it's impossible to find SOM apparel online anywhere? I want to celebrate with a sweatshirt but it doesn't seem to be possible

Sooo has anyone else noticed that it's impossible to find SOM apparel online anywhere? I want to celebrate with a sweatshirt but it doesn't seem to be possible
They don't make any apparel. You might be able to find some t-shirts at barnes and noble on main campus but its not likely. They offer apparel for med students only once you start. Normally its a old school Detroit Medical College sweatshirt.

Go to Scott Hall Building and look for the Alumni Office. They have tons of WSU SOM apparel. I grabbed a hoodie and a t-shirt not too long ago.

Someone mentioned 5 pm as the deadline for today. Perhaps they will pull from list after that.

Someone mentioned 5 pm as the deadline for today. Perhaps they will pull from list after that.
I stopped by admissions after class today. They said the next committee meeting is this Thursday. She said we can expect to hear possibly Friday by email or even phone. Something about a delay in some server might make them call students to give offers.

Reactions: 3 users
They don't make any apparel. You might be able to find some t-shirts at barnes and noble on main campus but its not likely. They offer apparel for med students only once you start. Normally its a old school Detroit Medical College sweatshirt.

These shirts are awesome. I need one.