2016-2017 Washington University in St. Louis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I thought they said we'd get financial aid by May? Where'd you hear April 1st?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
One of the netpartner financial aid portal pages (currently down so I can't quote it exactly) said "packages for students that have submitted all materials will be released April 1st" or something like that

Members don't see this ad.

One of the netpartner financial aid portal pages (currently down so I can't quote it exactly) said "packages for students that have submitted all materials will be released April 1st" or something like that
I think it says "starting April first" meaning on or after. But they also couldn't want until May because students need to have decided by then, and it's kind of a ****ty move to make us decide without knowing our financial aid.

Reactions: 1 user
I found this in last year's thread:
I asked them and they said they'll start putting awards together April 1st and are hoping to have them all out by April 30th.
So yeah any time in the next few weeks is fair game I guess.

It's a little problematic to be so slow. I had to pick between attending second look at WashU vs another school. Knowing if WashU was going to be considerably cheaper could have totally changed that decision (and saved me ridiculous $600 airfare). /rant

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a little problematic to be so slow. I had to pick between attending second look at WashU vs another school. Knowing if WashU was going to be considerably cheaper could have totally changed that decision (and saved me ridiculous $600 airfare). /rant

Second. I just want to know where I'm going and it doesn't help if Wash U could potentially make us wait until late April

Reactions: 5 users
While y'all are moaning over financial aid offers, the rest of us will be twiddling our thumbs as we eagerly await the April 15th decision release.

Reactions: 7 users
While y'all are moaning over financial aid offers, the rest of us will be twiddling our thumbs as we eagerly await the April 15th decision release.

Seriously. Fin aid delays suck, but not even knowing if you made the waitlist or not...

I don't think they send any outright rejects, similar to Penn?

Unlike Penn tho a waitlist here does not mean it is over !

I don't think they send any outright rejects, similar to Penn?

Unlike Penn tho a waitlist here does not mean it is over !

Are you kidding me? They don't just tell people no? That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard all day.

Are you kidding me? They don't just tell people no? That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard all day.

I'm spitballing here, but in the case of WashU with their traditionally low yield, it wouldn't be surprising.

If you were the dean/adcom, unless the applicant did something terrible during the interview (insulted someone, acted like a complete jerk, etc), then why artificially limit the waitlist if you know a decent percentage of your class comes off it?

We're talking a waitlist of ~500 people if you reject post-interview, and a waitlist of ~750 if you don't reject (both of these assume ~200 acceptances have gone out by now). Those extra ~250 students represent a great insurance policy when constructing the class.

I'm spitballing here, but in the case of WashU with their traditionally low yield, it wouldn't be surprising.

If you were the dean/adcom, unless the applicant did something terrible during the interview (insulted someone, acted like a complete jerk, etc), then why artificially limit the waitlist if you know a decent percentage of your class comes off it?

We're talking a waitlist of ~500 people if you reject post-interview, and a waitlist of ~750 if you don't reject (both of these assume ~200 acceptances have gone out by now). Those extra ~250 students represent a great insurance policy when constructing the class.

You really think they burn through even close to 500 waitlist spots?

Current students say that half the incoming class comes off the waitlist. If they have to send out three waitlist offers for each acceptance (which I find unlikely for a top 10 school) then that is still only ~180 people....

In summary, sending out no rejections is just a dick move...

I doubt it's for benefit in constructing the class on their end. I'd believe a big chunk of people are still useful to keep waitlisted but keeping 5x the class size on WL is beyond excessive. Penn waitlists like 500 and internally/secretly cuts it to 100 from which they take 10-15. I think these schools do it because it's a lot softer to receive an "almost" than a "nope"

In summary, sending out no rejections is just a dick move...
Idk it makes sense to me. The caliber of student interviewing at WashU is unlikely to be hanging onto the WL as their potential chance at attending med school, they'll have other options. It's just kinder

Members don't see this ad :)
It's just kinder

I don't personally find it kinder at all. I prefer honesty, not being held in limbo forever. Yes, I have other options but I need to plan my life and my family's life and for us it would be a lot easier to stay in St. Louis.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know why WashU yield is relatively low? Is it that lots of people who get in also get in to other t10 schools and don't wanna go to St. Louis?

Anyone know why WashU yield is relatively low? Is it that lots of people who get in also get in to other t10 schools and don't wanna go to St. Louis?
I would guess this is correct yeah. St. Louis is far from the populations concentrated on both coasts, and isn't generally seen as a great city to live your early adulthood in. It happens elsewhere too, for example Hopkins loses the majority of admits to other institutions, no doubt because people would rather be in NYC or Boston or San Fran etc.

As for me, if I had gotten into any of the schools I applied to with a 1-year preclinical curriculum, I would have taken that over Wash U any day. But I'm sure some would say the opposite.

Yep. Having interviewed in November I'm pretty sure just being waitlisted is the best possible outcome for me here at this point. Might even be rejected

I think at this point, all of us still waiting are expecting a waitlist at best.

I would guess this is correct yeah. St. Louis is far from the populations concentrated on both coasts, and isn't generally seen as a great city to live your early adulthood in. It happens elsewhere too, for example Hopkins loses the majority of admits to other institutions, no doubt because people would rather be in NYC or Boston or San Fran etc.

It's a shame, because St. Louis felt like a great city when I visited. Still, I haven't lived there, so my opinion doesn't count for much in this regard. I read an article a little while ago that St. Louis lost 1.1% of its total population for the 2015-2016 period.

I think at this point, all of us still waiting are expecting a waitlist at best.
If WashU truly does not reject post-interview, and if they have no intention to admit more applicants outright, then it seems a waitlist decision is the only outcome and there should be no reason to delay notifications. I think there is still reason to hope.

It's a shame, because St. Louis felt like a great city when I visited. Still, I haven't lived there, so my opinion doesn't count for much in this regard. I read an article a little while ago that St. Louis lost 1.1% of its total population for the 2015-2016 period.

I agree. Actually heard good things from several neighbors who have lived there / have family there.

I live here. I like it. I was skeptical about coming out here from California but it's been nice.

I live here. I like it. I was skeptical about coming out here from California but it's been nice.
hows the food scene? I really just care about pizza and indian food. Tell me its not deep dish

as you might imagine BBQ is a strength. The Central West End area right around the med school has a bunch of various restaurant types, as does the Loop over by the undergrad campus (across forest park). You going to second look? Just go wander around a while

as you might imagine BBQ is a strength. The Central West End area right around the med school has a bunch of various restaurant types, as does the Loop over by the undergrad campus (across forest park). You going to second look? Just go wander around a while
No, not going to second look, but going a few weeks after. Im already decided on wustl in any case, but knowing theres good food could only sweeten the deal!
Vandy wins if you're into (live) music !

Damn you have a tough choice to make- Vandy vs here
everyone i have talked to IRL (including 2 current vandy MD students) says i shouldnt even consider vandy at this point! So im quick to take their admittedly anecdotal advice and make my decision easier by staying close to home and going to st louis.
Biggest factors for me are name brand/match, research, surrounding city, proximity to nebraska, and public transport. I love me some well-funded public transport.

wait but you don't know the relative cost difference yet? or did I miss WashU sending out some aid packs?
I assumed all scholarships were given out at vandy? People who I talked to said they got it with their acceptance. My fam makes a lot of money so i know that need based is out of the question.

everyone i have talked to IRL (including 2 current vandy MD students) says i shouldnt even consider vandy at this point! So im quick to take their admittedly anecdotal advice and make my decision easier by staying close to home and going to st louis.
Biggest factors for me are name brand/match, research, surrounding city, proximity to nebraska, and public transport. I love me some well-funded public transport.

Why did they tell you not to consider vandy?

I assumed all scholarships were given out at vandy? People who I talked to said they got it with their acceptance. My fam makes a lot of money so i know that need based is out of the question.
would you go to wash u over mich?

Why did they tell you not to consider vandy?
Of the things he listed, surrounding city is the only one I can see Nashville winning
exactly what @efle said. Im around a lot of academic physicians and they probably overestimate the importance of the name of your school. Id like the keep that career option open for now.
Also the vandy students i know really regret their decisions. Again n=2, but they complain about lack of diversity on campus, the country music scene getting boring after month 1, very very stressful years 1 and 2, always feeling unprepared, and paradoxically feeling lonely bc of small class size. Every other med student ive talked to at other schools is having a blast in comparison. Also vandy is having financial issues. I think thats more important to residents, though.
would you go to wash u over mich?
I loved ann arbor. Have wanted to go there since forever. Itd be a real hard choice, to be honest. They havent taken anyone off the waitlist in 5 years, so im not holding out.

exactly what @efle said. Im around a lot of academic physicians and they probably overestimate the importance of the name of your school. Id like the keep that career option open for now.
Also the vandy students i know really regret their decisions. Again n=2, but they complain about lack of diversity on campus, the country music scene getting boring after month 1, very very stressful years 1 and 2, always feeling unprepared, and paradoxically feeling lonely bc of small class size. Every other med student ive talked to at other schools is having a blast in comparison. Also vandy is having financial issues. I think thats more important to residents, though.

I loved ann arbor. Have wanted to go there since forever. Itd be a real hard choice, to be honest. They havent taken anyone off the waitlist in 5 years, so im not holding out.

I don't know. Granted, the name can be important for future applications and such, but I love the 1-year preclinical curriculum, personally. Gives a full year of clinical experience for step I knowledge to sink in before taking it, and frees up an extra year after required clinicals. I don't know how much I would personally put on that n=2... but at the same time, it's hard to ignore it if a lot of vandy students are really significantly more stressed than students at other institutions. I certainly wish I'd gotten in there, though.

Man one year pre-clinical sounds terrible to me. I totally understand the value of extra time after clinicals and of taking step 1 after clinicals, but I don't get how you can get all the pre-clinical info into one year. Do they just have twice as much work that year and no breaks?

I have also read in a couple places that the new Vandy curriculum isn't getting too much love from the students going through it. Wasn't U Mich the place that accidentally over admitted by a ton and had to ask people to defer a year?

Man one year pre-clinical sounds terrible to me. I totally understand the value of extra time after clinicals and of taking step 1 after clinicals, but I don't get how you can get all the pre-clinical info into one year. Do they just have twice as much work that year and no breaks?
Yup there's no break after 1st year. It's a 13 month year basically

So, no decisions yet? This is getting annoying.

Maybe I was spoiled on the idea by Harvard being my first interview at a school with a 1-year preclinical curriculum. Vandy studenta did seem stressed while I was there, but I didn't read too much into it, since it was right before a test when I interviewed. At Harvard and Duke, though, students were super relaxed, and students at all three schools seemed to love the curriculum. Harvard and Duke students especially said that the preclinical curriculum was streamlined well and that they essentially cut out a lot of stuff that's more detailed than you need at this point, and will probably forget before clinicals anyway in a two-year curriculum. And it has been correlated with improved step 1 scores everywhere that has been doing it long enough to have the data on that. As to the longer first year, I'm going to be filling any breaks I get with research and shadowing anyway, since I'm interested in very competitive specialties, so I would actually prefer structured time to unstructured time over the summers. Really, Duke has the ideal curriculum for what I'm looking for... but I didn't get in at Duke, Harvard, or Vandy, so here we are. :/

But I got into med school in general, so I'm not all that worried anymore. Granted, I would have preferred a different curriculum, and I'd be likely to get a few more residency interviews as a Duke or Harvard (or Wash U, as I'm hoping) student than where I've been accepted, but I'll end up with the career I want either way.

Just tried to access the financial aid portal and was unable to do so. Do they do regular maintenance, or could this be a sign of an aid package on the horizon?

Just tried to access the financial aid portal and was unable to do so. Do they do regular maintenance, or could this be a sign of an aid package on the horizon?
It's been down since last weekend. I'm sure they're working on it daily in the finaid office, but who knows when they'll start getting released.

It's been down since last weekend. I'm sure they're working on it daily in the finaid office, but who knows when they'll start getting released.
Oh, I haven't checked for a while then haha. Fingers crossed for good aid packages and hefty scholarships!

The portal isn't down - the link that was emailed to us is broken. Try googling 'Washington university in St. Louis medical school netpartner'

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Got waitlisted -- I think the mass waitlist decisions are out!

Hey, guys. Waitlist emails have gone out now. Just got one. Wonder if the rumor that everyone who's not accepted right off the bat is just waitlisted.