2016-2017 Wake Forest University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PSA: If you have multiple accepts, go ahead and withdraw. You will be doing your fellow applicants a big favor.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
PSA: If you have multiple accepts, go ahead and withdraw. You will be doing your fellow applicants a big favor.
Is this thought to be the biggest movement, or will there be larger/ large ones going forward?

Is this thought to be the biggest movement, or will there be larger/ large ones going forward?
This should be the last meeting, but that all depends on who drops. To take people off the list, we have to call a meeting of the COA and get a quorum (50%+1). That's hard to do when the members have clinic and research to take care of. Not to mention vacations and family obligations. I can't just pick up the phone and call. That would be a LCME violation.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to everyone today! Everything will work out as it should, though it's much easier to say it than believe it sometimes :) if people start to hear, it'd be great if we could post that here. Good luck again!

Reactions: 1 user
When are the portals usually updated? Before or after the email notifications?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Because I'm past superstitiously fearing I'll jinx myself by saying things like this...

Pleaseeee, Wake Forest, make my upcoming birthday an especially good one! (and please make spending last night unable to sleep on the verge of panic worth it, too).

Because I'm past superstitiously fearing I'll jinx myself by saying things like this...

Pleaseeee, Wake Forest, make my upcoming birthday an especially good one! (and please make spending last night unable to sleep on the verge of panic worth it, too).
Oh man, fingers crossed for you. Try and get out and distract yourself as best you can.

I woke up at 2 last night, and then every hour or so after that.

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOOO!!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did everyone who received an acceptance get an email? The portal keeps timing out.

I received an email around 1:10 PM Pacific Time.
Okay cool thanks for letting me know! My portal changed after their office closed so i guess i'll be receiving my email tomorrow lol

Accepted off waitlist at 4:08 eastern time today :)

So ideally, they sent out enough acceptances yesterday so the class should be full (if everyone decides on Wake)? I'm just wondering if I should be at all hopefully of getting off this waitlist.

So ideally, they sent out enough acceptances yesterday so the class should be full (if everyone decides on Wake)? I'm just wondering if I should be at all hopefully of getting off this waitlist.
If you look at prior years SDN page there's usually 2 meetings where the bulk of the movement happens. After that it's like less than 5 people. I would imagine there will be one more shot in about a month or so.

I keep seeing a deadline on May 15. Does anyone know what that deadline is for? Do people get accepted off of the waitlist after that deadline?

I keep seeing a deadline on May 15. Does anyone know what that deadline is for? Do people get accepted off of the waitlist after that deadline?

That was last year's acceptance deadline, after which wait list movement begins, this year it was April 30th. It sounds like the bulk of the movement for WFSOM happened yesterday.

You are correct that at this point Wake has sent acceptance offers to enough people to fill the class, in fact this was already the case before they got into the wait list. It's just a matter of how many people decline those offers and go somewhere else. So basically now we're hoping that a decent number of people are either just lollygagging on their decision and are still going to withdraw, or they come of a wait list somewhere else where they would rather be. Based on what Pathdoc said, I'd say we're looking at seriously diminishing odds. If I had another acceptance anywhere at this point, I would take it. Running this stuff right up until the first day of class is just juvenile and an inconvenience to the whole system.

You are correct that at this point Wake has sent acceptance offers to enough people to fill the class, in fact this was already the case before they got into the wait list. It's just a matter of how many people decline those offers and go somewhere else. So basically now we're hoping that a decent number of people are either just lollygagging on their decision and are still going to withdraw, or they come of a wait list somewhere else where they would rather be. Based on what Pathdoc said, I'd say we're looking at seriously diminishing odds. If I had another acceptance anywhere at this point, I would take it. Running this stuff right up until the first day of class is just juvenile and an inconvenience to the whole system.
Trust me, if I had another acceptance I would certainly be running with it. Hopefully more slots open up!

Does anyone know if there will be another admissions meeting?

Called this afternoon and the class still isn't full

Reactions: 2 users
Do I remember correctly that the target class size is 140?
Msar says 129

Edit: I remember on interview day saying last year they tried to increase but it was denied. And they were trying again, maybe they got denied the increase again?

I don't know who said that, but they are wrong. A school can increase the class size by 10% without notifying the LCME.

So, the real question is... what class size is WFSOM shooting for this year? Thanks for the updates!

I don't know who said that, but they are wrong. A school can increase the class size by 10% without notifying the LCME.
Whoever it was that came and spoke with us, older guy with glasses if i recall correctly. I think they were involved with Heme/onc. I don't have my packet anymore so I can't look up their name.

Anyways, I don't know the details, but that's what he said happened. He didn't say it was the LCME that didn't allow the expansion. Made it seem like the lack of approval was more internal than that.

Whoever it was that came and spoke with us, older guy with glasses if i recall correctly. I think they were involved with Heme/onc. I don't have my packet anymore so I can't look up their name.

Anyways, I don't know the details, but that's what he said happened. He didn't say it was the LCME that didn't allow the expansion. Made it seem like the lack of approval was more internal than that.
That was probably me. I either misspoke or you misunderstood.

Is there any chance we will get a decision this week?